Thirty Eight Minutes (104)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keen
    In SoG, you see O'Neill run through the gate in his entirety. He then presumably materializes in his entirety, then sticks his hand back into the gate, after having it come out.
    I don't think he stuck his hand back in. He just didn't exit completely by not pulling his hand out in the first place. But you're right, though - he did go through the gate completely and was not on both sides at the same time.
    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

In SoG, you see O'Neill run through the gate in his entirety. He then presumably materializes in his entirety, then sticks his hand back into the gate, after having it come out.
      *snip*
      Now, please do point out a real case of an object being on both sides of the stargate at the same time.
      Maybe you should be sure of your facts before you go around being condescending to others. As has already been discussed in this thread, O'Neill did NOT emerge entirely and "stick his hand back into the gate".

Comment

Now, please do point out a real case of an object being on both sides of the stargate at the same time.
        There are inconsistencies when it comes to the gate, no doubt about it. In the Movie, Jackson sticks his head into the event horizon, pauses for a look-see, and then, with his body still not fully inside the wormhole, his face gets vacummed away.

In POV the last Jaffa to run thru the gate is still inside the wormhole when the gate event horizon shuts down, cutting off the end of his staff weapon. What happened to him?

As to SoG, I can't say for sure whether or not Jack exited the wormhole entirely, but since others came barreling through the gate right after him, wouldn't he be taking an awful chance that someone would re-materialize around his hand? Therefore, I think he must have exited, then stood to the side and returned his hand into the event horizon which had not yet shut down because it was ferrying other bodies toward the SGC.

I put them down to Hollywood moments: looks good on camera.
        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
          As to SoG, I can't say for sure whether or not Jack exited the wormhole entirely, but since others came barreling through the gate right after him, wouldn't he be taking an awful chance that someone would re-materialize around his hand?
          Maybe, but I'm thinking that with all the safety features the Ancients put into the stargates there shouldn't be much to worry about. If someone entered the gate in such a way that they'd rematerialize where Jack was holding his hand, I think that maybe the gate would wait to rematerialize them until he removed it.
          Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            As has already been discussed in this thread, O'Neill did NOT emerge entirely and "stick his hand back into the gate".
            Really? I didn't see any proof of this either way when I saw the relevant bit of the episode last night. You'll notice I used the word presumably to separate onscreen proof with speculation.

edit: After having my mind thinking about it for a minute, what you believe happened was impossible. Jack jogged through the gate. I.e. his hands were infront of his chest. The stargate would have rematerialized him like that
            in the SGC, so he must have then stuck his hand back in before the gate shut off.
            Last edited by Keen; 03 August 2004, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
              Maybe, but I'm thinking that with all the safety features the Ancients put into the stargates there shouldn't be much to worry about. If someone entered the gate in such a way that they'd rematerialize where Jack was holding his hand, I think that maybe the gate would wait to rematerialize them until he removed it.
              This was related to a problem I had as I watched 38 minutes. They made it seem like people could just keep going into the EH, and stay there in the pattern buffer. They never deal with how the heck the stargate is going to rematerialize the 5 people that they've stuck into the small space of the forward compartment. Ick.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                The incoming object should simply push his hand out of the way. No problem.
                >I still like my "threshold theory" in the Atlantis thread Matter through an event horizon *Spoilers for 38 Minutes and 100 Days* pgs.2-3
                There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Is it a mistake to compare SG-1 with Atlantis when it comes to Stargate technology? I mean the gates are different. Version 2 in Atlantis may work totally differently than the gates in our galaxy. Perhaps some of the assumptions (facts from our galaxy gates) that McKay is making aren't true in Atlantis.
                  No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

But wormhole physics is wormhole physics. True the gates are a little different and maybe they have some different features, but I think that with most things we learned about a stargate in SG-1, can be applied to Atlantis.

Comment

But wormhole physics is wormhole physics. True the gates are a little different and maybe they have some different features, but I think that with most things we learned about a stargate in SG-1, can be applied to Atlantis.
                      I'm thinking in terms of how the gates store the buffered information and such.
                      No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DJFavorite
                        I'm thinking in terms of how the gates store the buffered information and such.
                        Do you really want to sacrifice the only DHD we have? With a dialing computer no less.....

EDIT: 1000th POST!
                        Last edited by DownFallAngel; 03 August 2004, 11:55 AM.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

What's there to sacrifice?

Comment

What happened last time we tried to get something out of the SG Buffers? We lost the GIZA DHD.....

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

Yeah, but what does that have to do with this?

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                                Yeah, but what does that have to do with this?
                                If you are saying that the same Orange gate Physics apply to Blue Gates, then fine. But DJFavorite is saying soemthing about buffering information to get it out.

So if we trapped the front end of the PJ in the gate, then the gate shut off, and it didn't disintigrate, it would get stored in the buffers. There is only one way to get something out of the buffers, and thats to do that DHD to SG do-hicky. And last time, we had to sacrifce the GIZA DHD to get Teal'c out.

Comment

Working...
                                X