Radek Zelenka/David Nykl Appreciation, Thunk, Translation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rweethareyet View Post
    Don't know if I'm doing this right...I'm really just a lurker...but as far as Sam goes it was my understanding that she was there as the new leader and was sitting back letting her scientists do what they do. When she took over for Radek he was "surprised" at her taking charge in a scientific way. He just wanted to do what he had been doing since she arrived and really since he arrived.
    I didn't think Sam's comment in Trio was right either since she is the leader and it should never look like she is putting anyone down in front of others...especially Rodney.
    Welcome Rweethareyet.

Don't worry, you are just doing fine. Techinically this is a Czech Translations and Radek Thunk thread but we are allow to digress a bit!

*THUNK*

Spoiler:

sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Welcome Rweethareyet! Jump in; the water's fine since we do a lot of this:

Great *thunk* Rosehawk!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Pucker up!

Comment

Did you say "pucker up?"

Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I am a Radek lover but not good with tech. I enjoy all the pics. They make me smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
            Did you say "pucker up?"
            Why, yes, I did.
            Spoiler:

Originally posted by Rweethareyet View Post
            Thanks for the warm welcome.

I am a Radek lover but not good with tech. I enjoy all the pics. They make me smile.
            Now see, that makes me smile because I like sharing the love.

Comment

Originally posted by belevision View Post
              Why, yes, I did.

Spoiler:

belevision, I love your location - Iceachusetts -

Maybe mine should be Freezinsota!

At least our clones are keeping us warm!
              sigpic

Comment

Mmmm, those are good ones...

And more!
                Spoiler:

belevision, I love your location - Iceachusetts -

Maybe mine should be Freezinsota!

At least our clones are keeping us warm!
                We got 8 more inches of snow yesterday (at least)!

But yes, and we're keeping our clones warm too!

Comment

Mmmm, those are good ones...

And more!
                  Lovely, lovely indeed. I wonder if Radek knows how cute he is when he's being emotional and making faces!

Originally posted by belevision
                  We got 8 more inches of snow yesterday (at least)!

But yes, and we're keeping our clones warm too!
                  You must have got our leftovers. We got about 6 to 8 inches on Tuesday and early Wednesday morning!

I just got back from seeing 'Marley and Me' with my daughter. There was a preview for another movie - can't remember the name - but it is in Minnesota and seems to focus on the snow and ice! It gets so cold that you can actually drive your cars on the frozen lakes! The people in the movie were real thrilled to be moving to Minnesota in the winter!
                  I got a good chuckle as I remembered when I moved here was just after a massive snowstorm and there was over 10 feet of snow on the ground and then I snuggled up to my clone!
                  sigpic

Comment

Lovely, lovely indeed. I wonder if Radek knows how cute he is when he's being emotional and making faces!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...abula0791A.jpg
                    Gotta wonder!

You must have got our leftovers. We got about 6 to 8 inches on Tuesday and early Wednesday morning!

I just got back from seeing 'Marley and Me' with my daughter. There was a preview for another movie - can't remember the name - but it is in Minnesota and seems to focus on the snow and ice! It gets so cold that you can actually drive your cars on the frozen lakes! The people in the movie were real thrilled to be moving to Minnesota in the winter!
                    I got a good chuckle as I remembered when I moved here was just after a massive snowstorm and there was over 10 feet of snow on the ground and then I snuggled up to my clone!
                    We sometimes get your leftovers, and other times we get storms called Nor'easters that come off the Atlantic. Those usually bring freezing rain and ice though.

...10 feet of snow! *clings to clone at the mere thought*

Comment

Gotta wonder!

Spoiler:

We sometimes get your leftovers, and other times we get storms called Nor'easters that come off the Atlantic. Those usually bring freezing rain and ice though.

...10 feet of snow! *clings to clone at the mere thought*
                      You do get alot more of the dangerous ice storms.

10 feet, haven't had one of those in a while but it does happen here.

My clone has learned how to make irish coffee to help add to the warmth!
                      sigpic

Comment

Heya, Rwethereyet. Welcome to the thread and great screename!

Along with Sheppard's comment that McKay "would love this"- he was being wonderfully ironic because Rodney would have hated the moment (especially since it was Sam giving the praise, although he tried to minimize Radek's role in typical fashion when Katie brought it up later).
                        Well, McKay does have honest-to-God nightmares about Sam liking Radek more (Doppleganger). McKay might like Radek, but he feels threatened by him as well. Radek is just as smart as McKay, but he's also popular in a way that McKay will never be as long as he keeps up the nastittude. To make it worse, the humility and gentility that Keller is, erm, urging Rodney to show, Zelenka already has and Rodney's profited from those traits too much in the past not to know they're there.

Her original tone with being stuck was just not Sam nor were they are signs of that attitude in Quarantine.
                        You mean other than the eyerolling, the sighs of exasperation in the transporter, and charging ahead with the science without even bothering to ramble about what she was doing? Tapping was following the director's instructions to show "disdain."

Still, open disdain is so unSamlike and Tapping/Nykl get along so well (something like a third of the behind-the-scenes clips in her featurette were her goofing off with Nykl) that the scene didn't work at all like it was supposed to. Chemistry and displays of disdain make for some bizarre scenes. I spent 90% of Quarantine asking, "what is your deal?"

Don't get me wrong, I wanted Super Sam the Mary Sue gone as much as the next person, but making Jack go away accomplished that nicely. Making her The Cordelia (at Radek's expense) was overboard. o.0

Spoiler:

: On the downside, she clearly hates me for some reason. On the upside, I've managed not to babble incoherently and ask for her autograph.

& : I am seriously underpaid.

DragonLady
                        "I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then, and I am not saying anything now." -- Delenn

Comment

Originally posted by DragonLadyK View Post
                          McKay might like Radek, but he feels threatened by him as well. Radek is just as smart as McKay, but he's also popular in a way that McKay will never be as long as he keeps up the nastittude.
                          Yup, and lots of the other characters know this which makes for amusement- I'm thinking of Echoes where Sheppard uses "Zelenka is smarter than you!" as a test to see if Rodney can actually hear him.

To make it worse, the humility and gentility that Keller is, erm, urging Rodney to show, Zelenka already has and Rodney's profited from those traits too much in the past not to know they're there.
                          Zelenka also deserves a medal for how often he's acted as a buffer between Rodney and other people. They profit too, and hopefully they show profound appreciation to Radek behind the scenes.

Still, open disdain is so unSamlike and Tapping/Nykl get along so well (something like a third of the behind-the-scenes clips in her featurette were her goofing off with Nykl) that the scene didn't work at all like it was supposed to. Chemistry and displays of disdain make for some bizarre scenes."
                          *perks* Ooooo... Where is this featurette? Online somewhere I hope?

Comment

Well, McKay does have honest-to-God nightmares about Sam liking Radek more (Doppleganger).
                            Isn't it great!

Originally posted by DragonLadyK
                            McKay might like Radek, but he feels threatened by him as well. Radek is just as smart as McKay, but he's also popular in a way that McKay will never be as long as he keeps up the nastittude.
                            Definitely!

To make it worse, the humility and gentility that Keller is, erm, urging Rodney to show, Zelenka already has and Rodney's profited from those traits too much in the past not to know they're there.
                            Rodney knows he needs Zelenka to help him out with other people but he sure isn't going to let Radek know he needs him. With how compeitive these two are, it would be like admitting failure, something Rodney can't admit to. If it wasn't for Radek, I'm guessing that Rodney's department would have lynched him by now.

You mean other than the eyerolling, the sighs of exasperation in the transporter, and charging ahead with the science without even bothering to ramble about what she was doing? Tapping was following the director's instructions to show "disdain."
                            I didn't see the rolling eyes and sighs of exasperation as signs of disdain. Heck, I've rolled my eyes at people that I respect on occasion, when they weren't getting what I was saying or vice a versa.
                            And charging ahead, I could see Sam, Radek, Rodney, any of the scientists do that once they went into fix-it mode as that is what they are trained to do. Sam and Radek are both use to taking charge in these things so it was something they learned about each other.
                            For me, I still didn't see disdain in Sam's eyes or face and was quite surprised that it was even mentioned in the commentaries. To me, it was more like 'who is this guy and where is he coming from', not disdain.
                            Distain is a feeling of contempt or scorn and that is not what I saw in Sam's eyes, nor could I see Sam behaving that way towards anyone, let alone Radek.

Still, open disdain is so unSamlike and Tapping/Nykl get along so well (something like a third of the behind-the-scenes clips in her featurette were her goofing off with Nykl) that the scene didn't work at all like it was supposed to. Chemistry and displays of disdain make for some bizarre scenes. I spent 90% of Quarantine asking, "what is your deal?"
                            Yeah, chemistry between actors is a big part on how scenes play out on screen and Amanda and David worked pretty well together.
                            I thought the scenes in the elevator worked pretty well for two co-workers, one the boss, the other a subordinate who wants to impress the boss, neither knowing each other very well and being put in a situation where they would both go into a fix-it mode.
                            It's just if the director wanted disdain, he didn't accomplish that and you would only get that from the commentaries on the DVD's, IMO.
                            The commentaries are an after thought, what really counts when watching isn't what is said on the commentaries, rather how it plays out on the TV screen.

*perks* Ooooo... Where is this featurette? Online somewhere I hope?
                            It's in the Quarantine Commentary on the Season 4 DVD. I doubt they are online anywhere.
                            Last edited by Rosehawk; 02 January 2009, 12:42 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I feel the need for some *THUNK*... these are from Season 1's Hot Zone:
                              Spoiler:

Comment

To me, it was more like 'who is this guy and where is he coming from', not disdain.
                                Disdain or exasperation, it still didn't make sense. Sam has never been the completely-cut-the-person-standing-three-feet-away-out-of-the-process type. I mean, how many times did Sam try to explain what she was doing to Jack (over and over and over again with smaller words) or Daniel, who weren't even scientists? For her to just take over the tablet and give him the GTFO-silence? That's pretty strong for Sam. I also tend to take Quarantine in the context of Trio, since I saw them back-to-back.

Granted, it didn't help that Zelenka was treating Sam like Rodney or Sheppard (which she's NOT). Rodney-baiting is a huge portion of his working relationship with Sheppard, and either heckling Rodney or tag-teaming a third person with Rodney is 80% of his working relationship with McKay. It was like watching a Labrador play-crouch at a cat. ^^

It's also possible that Zelenka just plain freaks Sam out a little. Sam is used to knowing what people are all about even when other people don't. Zelenka can spend eight episodes as the happy, sweet scientist with the fluffy hair and then suddenly have this moment of utter bloody cunning (as the plot requires, even if that's just assuring the CO that the cold-blooded decision was the right one) and then snap instantly back to the happy-fluffy-scientist like nothing ever happened and so convincingly that everyone acts like nothing ever happened.

Oh, and on a completely unrelated note: does your youth-group use the birds for falconry, or just care for them?

Great pics belevison. Poor Ford, getting completely tag-teamed by the Wonder Geeks.

DragonLady
                                "I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then, and I am not saying anything now." -- Delenn

Comment

Working...
                                X