X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by belevision View Post
    Those were my thoughts exactly.

Spoiler:
    And eclairs. And don't forget the whipped cream!
    Spoiler:
    Sounds like the stuff he'd cover Elizabeth in when in bed with her

Comment

Spoiler:
      Radek is like an Awesome Sundae. With hot fudge and cherries on top.

Banners by Luciana, Nici and myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajus View Post
        Spoiler:
        Sounds like the stuff he'd cover Elizabeth in when in bed with her
        Spoiler:
        And then he'd have to remove it... we can all imagine how. She can't go to meetings dressed in dessert, after all!

Originally posted by schweinsty View Post
        Spoiler:
        The things that inspire pic-stories...
        Spoiler:

: ...would be like a cherry on top!
        : ...

: Radek, are you even listening to what I'm saying?
        : Um, you were talking about dessert?
        : No! I was talking about how my winning the Nobel Prize would be the culmination of... Oh, forget it. I know where your mind went.

: ...You do? Where are you going? *thinks* Oh no...

: Kitchen? This is Zelenka. If you see Drs McKay and Keller together, do not let them in. It's very important if you don't want a huge mess to clean up.

Moral: Radek knows that Rodney is always stealing his ideas.

Comment

Spoiler:

: No! I was talking about how my winning the Nobel Prize would be the culmination of... Oh, forget it. I know where your mind went.

: Kitchen? This is Zelenka. If you see Drs McKay and Keller together, do not let them in. It's very important if you don't want a huge mess to clean up.

Hah, that is great . Poor Radek - I bet Rodney'll take all the credit when he suggests it .

Comment

Those were my thoughts exactly.

Spoiler:
            And eclairs. And don't forget the whipped cream!
            Spoiler:
            Yummmm!

Originally posted by schweinsty
            Spoiler:

Spoiler:
            Don't forget the nuts on the sundae!

Love the pic-story belevision!
            sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

I just finished listening to Zelenka's audiobook Zeropoint.

I liked it. Lovely to hear that Czech accent for an hour!
              sigpic

Comment

Granted, I'm no engineer...

Spoiler:
                ... but I have worked around generators, compressors, and pumps before. The stuff we had at the dairy I worked at was all in or around a barn. We had water hoses and fire extinguishers everywhere, everything that could be shut down was shut down when no one was there, and if anything sparked or started feeling hot or God forbid started smoking we were to shut milking down and call the on-call mechanic because all the fire had to do was reach the dried manure, the hay, or the barn's flamable cover and the whole place would have gone up (and if it reached the poo lagoon or the manure stack, it would have kept burning for days). I also worked in a museum that had 1910-era wiring.

I'm not an engineer, but I know from fire hazards.

A hyperdrive has to have an unfathomable amount of power connected to it. Hyperdrives are also on ships, which are little floating bottles of oxygenated atmosphere. So, yes, I'm going to have to second Radek's (absolutely adorable) horror at the explosion waiting to happen that was MiniMissy's hyperdrive. Holy crap. David Nykl gets the award for the best "OMG, where do I even start with how wrong this is" face ever.

I know that TPTB thought Little Miss Thinks She's Scotty ignoring Radek was funny, but all it did was convince me that the Travellers are both reckless and completely stupid. Wires and hoses everywhere, underfoot, stuff not insulated, a faulty radiation sensor, and equipment catching on fire all the time -- the Travellers have a ship shortage? No, really, you don't say?

And then putting a 15 year-old in charge of engineering. The prefrontal cortex isn't fully developed until adulthood. The prefrontal cortex is the part of the brain devoted to "sober second thought," as Dr. Jay Giedd calls it. It's the part of us that controls planning, working memory, organization, and modulates mood. It is one of three parts of the brain that process the action/consequence input and it is the part of the brain that applies the action/consequences previously learned to new plans. It's like the brain's CEO, and it does not fully mature until adulthood.

Now, granted, the Travellers probably don't have access to that information, but the above paragraph is just the biological explanation for what anyone who has every had to deal with teenagers already knows: teenagers have bad judgment. They are impulsive, egocentric, believe dangers will never happen to them even if they happen to other people, don't listen, and they tend to repeat mistakes believing that the outcome will somehow be different this time. (And hopefully, they'll live through it and grow out of it the same way we did.)

An engineer (or any department head) cannot have those qualities. MiniMissy's cavalierness about the radiation sensor, her casualness about fires and pushing the engines, and the way she didn't even consider Radek's (an experienced fellow engineer) warning that the hyperdrive could short out are all glaring manifestations of teenage attitude, and all proof that that child should not be operating unsupervised -- much less as the supervisor.

Furthermore, book knowledge is only half knowledge. In any job, book knowing will only take you so far. The other half is experience -- having past happenings from which to extrapolate future happenings. No matter how much MiniMissy knows about hyperdrives she simpley cannot have the kind of experience needed to be good at her job. Even if it only took her four years from when she started to get to a college-graduate level of knowledge (unlikely), that still leaves her with only seven years hard experience. Not enough. Not for that.

As witnessed by the utter disaster of the engine room. I was "OMG, we're going to die" -ing right along with Radek. The fact that no one else on the ship thought MiniMissy's work was shoddy or a disaster waiting to happen, and the state of every other Traveller vessel we've seen leads me back to Travellers are complete morons. I imagine Radek was "a big help" just by cleaning up the place.

As a final point, Sheppard (who is supposed to be an experienced commander and pilot) taking MiniMissy's word over Radek's and the "learn a thing or two" comment lost him a lot of points in my book. Talk about your reckless adolescent conviction of invulnerability -- Sheppard is a PILOT. He should have been freaking out with Radek or at the very least crossing his fingers and praying.

So. Yes. Radek was right and Meela was wrong, wrong, so very wrong. And the Travellers are all Darwin Award candidates.

How about some pictures from "First Contact"?

Spoiler:

GUH.

In Junkyard Wars: Atlantis, my money is on Radek.

I realize that Stephen Franklin from Babylon 5 ruined me, but I was happy Radek hesisated to cut at the enemy suit's neck. *pets*

DragonLady
                "I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then, and I am not saying anything now." -- Delenn

Comment

Originally posted by DragonLadyK View Post
                  Spoiler:
                  second Radek's (absolutely adorable) horror at the explosion waiting to happen that was MiniMissy's hyperdrive. Holy crap. David Nykl gets the award for the best "OMG, where do I even start with how wrong this is" face ever.
                  Spoiler:
                  I second that! He's face was perfect!

Originally posted by DragonLadyK
                  Spoiler:
                  I know that TPTB thought Little Miss Thinks She's Scotty ignoring Radek was funny, but all it did was convince me that the Travellers are both reckless and completely stupid. Wires and hoses everywhere, underfoot, stuff not insulated, a faulty radiation sensor, and equipment catching on fire all the time -- the Travellers have a ship shortage? No, really, you don't say?
                  Spoiler:

I think they have shown them to be reckless in the past. I mean how they were introduced and Larin's treatment of Shep was one of desperation and recklessness.

I didn't see her as ignoring Radek. This was her territory, she knew it well and she had alot of confidence. Teen or not, if someone came into my work area that I had been working on for years, and said it wouldn't work, or expressed the concerns that Radek did - I might not listen at first either, after all, how can a complete stranger come in and tell me that what to do.

Plus, who knows, maybe she had a teen crush on Radek and was just showing off!

Spoiler:
                  Now, granted, the Travellers probably don't have access to that information, but the above paragraph is just the biological explanation for what anyone who has every had to deal with teenagers already knows: teenagers have bad judgment. They are impulsive, egocentric, believe dangers will never happen to them even if they happen to other people, don't listen, and they tend to repeat mistakes believing that the outcome will somehow be different this time. (And hopefully, they'll live through it and grow out of it the same way we did.)
                  Spoiler:
                  Teenagers do not necessarily have bad judgement. I do volunteer work with teens and have a teenage daughter. They do not have the life experiences or necessarily their emotions are fully mature, that does not mean they have bad judgement, it just makes them inexperienced which can lead to bad judgement- there is a difference.

Spoiler:
                  An engineer (or any department head) cannot have those qualities. MiniMissy's cavalierness about the radiation sensor, her casualness about fires and pushing the engines, and the way she didn't even consider Radek's (an experienced fellow engineer) warning that the hyperdrive could short out are all glaring manifestations of teenage attitude, and all proof that that child should not be operating unsupervised -- much less as the supervisor.
                  Spoiler:
                  I agree that department heads can't be so cavalier. I don't think she didn't listen to Radek, her goal was to get the hyperdrive up and running and keep her own captain happy. There wasn't enough time for her and Radek to bond as a team...she's going to work to meet her own captain's wishes first, especially in battle.

Though I agree, she definitely wasn't thinking about the consquences...it was react now and then fix what ever happens later, but in reality did they have any other choice. If the hyperdrive had not come on line, we would have lost the Daduelus. Radek would have made the same choice if it meant saving the other ship, the only difference is he probably would have told Sheppard the consequences upfront.

Spoiler:
                  As witnessed by the utter disaster of the engine room. I was "OMG, we're going to die" -ing right along with Radek. The fact that no one else on the ship thought MiniMissy's work was shoddy or a disaster waiting to happen, and the state of every other Traveller vessel we've seen leads me back to Travellers are complete morons. I imagine Radek was "a big help" just by cleaning up the place.
                  Spoiler:

LOL, I had the same reaction.
                  If that is all the Travelers have known then they sure wouldn't think her work was shoddy. They've just got lucky alot IMO.

Spoiler:
                  As a final point, Sheppard (who is supposed to be an experienced commander and pilot) taking MiniMissy's word over Radek's and the "learn a thing or two" comment lost him a lot of points in my book. Talk about your reckless adolescent conviction of invulnerability -- Sheppard is a PILOT. He should have been freaking out with Radek or at the very least crossing his fingers and praying.
                  Spoiler:

I didn't see Sheppard as taking MiniMissy's word over Radek's. I saw him as giving Radek a challenge to learn to work with MiniMissy so they can get out of the situation they were in. I'm sure that Sheppard was concerned, however his focus was going to be on the bridge and he apparently had enough confidence in Radek to let Radek deal with the issues in engineering. The bridge wasn't in any better shape then engineering.

How about some pictures from "First Contact"?
                  Pics are great! Thanks!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post

Spoiler:
                    I think they have shown them to be reckless in the past. I mean how they were introduced and Larin's treatment of Shep was one of desperation and recklessness.
                    Larrin was just plain stupid. The whole tying up thing... I mean, come on. Idiot. And her "chemistry" with Sheppard had all the bubble of three day old beer. *flicks fingers* Sheppard has more chemistry with Teyla than Larrin and that's with Teyla scolding him every third ep of S1.

Spoiler:
                    I wish the teen crush thing had happened for no other reason than watching Missy freak out about it. Since the chances of Todd eating her seem to be slim.

Spoiler:
                    Teenagers do not necessarily have bad judgement. I do volunteer work with teens and have a teenage daughter. They do not have the life experiences or necessarily their emotions are fully mature, that does not mean they have bad judgement, it just makes them inexperienced which can lead to bad judgement- there is a difference.
                    Spoiler:
                    There are exceptions, of course, especially if parents have taught them well or if life experience has accelerated their development.

However, teenagers' prefrontal cortexes aren't as developed as adults and as a general rule their inexperience leads them to make poor decisions often without thought to consequences (which is what I meant by bad judgment). It's why car insurance rates are so much higher for teens than adults and why some states won't allow teens to drive at all. It's also why cigarette companies were targeting (and still do, though they're sneakier about it now) teenagers -- the teenage mind is more easily pushed into risky behavior than the adult because they belive in their own invulnerabilty and have a hard time relating others mistakes to their own.

MiniMissy's behavior and demeanor didn't lead me to believe she was one of those exceptions. Maybe if she'd had a different actress... but she didn't. *shrugs*

Spoiler:
                    Though I agree, she definitely wasn't thinking about the consquences...it was react now and then fix what ever happens later, but in reality did they have any other choice. If the hyperdrive had not come on line, we would have lost the Daduelus. Radek would have made the same choice if it meant saving the other ship, the only difference is he probably would have told Sheppard the consequences upfront.
                    Spoiler:
                    Thus leading me back to, what kind of idiot maked her chief engineer? "Ship might explode" is information a captain needs, even if s/he has to ignore it and hope for the best.

Spoiler:

LOL, I had the same reaction.
                    If that is all the Travelers have known then they sure wouldn't think her work was shoddy. They've just got lucky alot IMO.
                    Which is the main point of my post: Travellers = idiots; Radek=smart. ^^ Even if TPTB don't realize it. Possibly because they don't research... or really pay attention to detail. I mean, honestly, how could they not notice who their sound crew/light crew does things, and maybe think they do it that way for a reason?!

The Travellers already drove me nuts, so this ep was fuel on the fire. On top of my work experience, my Dad was an electrician and a mechanic and I spent a LOT of time in his shop as a kid. If he'd seen a Traveller ship he would have had a stroke -- his "nobody does code here" rants were legendary.

I get the feeling that Radek is similar that way, and that he runs a very tight ship. So to speak.

Pics are great! Thanks!
                    They're from Beth. She's got the good stuff.

Spoiler:

Yet again, everyone else is paying attention to Shep... and Teyla is not. ^^

As much as the Travellers made me want to hit them with the Electrician's Code book, the whole "we did not lose you, that is good" scene had me squeeing like a mad fangirl.

DragonLady
                    Last edited by DragonLadyK; 12 October 2008, 09:10 PM.
                    "I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then, and I am not saying anything now." -- Delenn

Comment

Spoiler:

That's great

Comment

DragonLady-
                        Spoiler:
                        I handwaved the Whatever!Engineering just like the writers did. But you'll like the comment my hubby made while we were watching MiniMissy (love that) do her thing. I've been explaining fanfiction and its good and bad points to him lately, and while we were watching it he asked out loud: "Now, would she be considered a Mary Sue?" That made me crack up (and reply in the affirmative).

Love, love love those First Contact pictures. Rowr! Beth does indeed have great stuff.

And Teyla has eyes, a brain, good taste, and is gorgeous and sexy. It makes sense to me, that she'd be naturally drawn to one of the very few in Atlantis with all of those same attributes!

Glad everyone liked the pic fic- schweinsty, the little McKeller reference was a gift for you, since your cherries comment inspired it.

Comment

Glad everyone liked the pic fic- schweinsty, the little McKeller reference was a gift for you, since your cherries comment inspired it.
                          XD. Thank you! I do like the McKeller .

Comment

DragonLady-
                            Spoiler:
                            I handwaved the Whatever!Engineering just like the writers did. But you'll like the comment my hubby made while we were watching MiniMissy (love that) do her thing. I've been explaining fanfiction and its good and bad points to him lately, and while we were watching it he asked out loud: "Now, would she be considered a Mary Sue?" That made me crack up (and reply in the affirmative).

Love, love love those First Contact pictures. Rowr! Beth does indeed have great stuff.
                            Your husband is okay in my book. ^^

I can suspend my disbelief so far, but the Travellers take it over the edge -- for the same reasons Keller does, actually. The shoddier writing becomes the less leeway I can find it in my heart to give the writer for not doing basic Google-type research (or just looking around).

And Teyla has eyes, a brain, good taste, and is gorgeous and sexy. It makes sense to me, that she'd be naturally drawn to one of the very few in Atlantis with all of those same attributes!
                            See, that's what I was thinking... and he has way more personality than Kanaan. *nods*

Spoiler:

And because I need to practice my swimming:

Comment

Awwwww, such lovely lovely pics!

Thanks DragonLadyK and schweinsty. I'm gonna have to start snurching!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DragonLadyK View Post
                                See, that's what I was thinking... and he has way more personality than Kanaan. *nods*
                                Not to mention more onscreen chemistry with Teyla, going by those pics you posted previously! In fact, he has chemistry with everyone:
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X