No announcement yet.

Radek Zelenka/David Nykl Appreciation, Thunk, Translation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're welcome! Radek is always worth sharing! I'll have to post the other one on FB one of these days.

I hadn't watched SGA for years before doing a marathon of it a couple months ago. It's amazing how much talent David Nykl truly has, because Radek stood out from the get-go. Well, aside from that horrid bit of BAD dialogue between Keller, Carter, & McKay in the one episode... which is why I really didn't like Keller, although I adore Jewel Staite.

I'm waiting on Exogenesis to arrive so I can read about Radek. I have the first few SG-1 and SGA books from Fandemonium, but our local bookstore closed and I never got around to getting more, so I missed that one! I have both of the audio dramas he did, and I would love if they did more of those, especially with recurring characters.
    Monica Zelenka lover since 2004! RDA fan since 1985! Lorne fan since 2003!
    sigpic
    Lady Pandora
    Atlantis Series: Retrospective Ruminations Unexpected

Comment

Originally posted by MonicaL View Post
      Okay, I've made it far enough to hear about the excitement leading up to the convention to meet David and Ben..... and I've drooled so much that I had to go grab another bucket....
      OMG...I had so much fun at that convention! Never underestimate what your convention buddies will do to embarrass you in front of your *squee*
      sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

You're welcome! Radek is always worth sharing! I'll have to post the other one on FB one of these days.
        Feel free to post it on the Facebook page. We are trying to make that page more fan interactive...it's just tough because David's got some other Facebook pages out there (not his, one's that other fans have started) but none of them are very active and with SGA being off-the-air and not seeing reruns in syndication right now, David doesn't get alot of fan attention anymore, except at conventions.

Originally posted by MonicaL
        I hadn't watched SGA for years before doing a marathon of it a couple months ago. It's amazing how much talent David Nykl truly has, because Radek stood out from the get-go. Well, aside from that horrid bit of BAD dialogue between Keller, Carter, & McKay in the one episode... which is why I really didn't like Keller, although I adore Jewel Staite.
        David is an awesome and very versatile actor which is one of the reasons why he very quickly became one of my all-time favorite actors. I have him up there with Sandra Bullock, Billy Boyd (my favorite Hobbit) and Ryan Reynolds who are all also in my top favorites.

That bad dialogue in 'Trio' was more Martin Gero not liking Zelenka, or more so it was that McKay was his favorite and he didn't want detractors from that and fans were loving Zelenka. If you ever listen to his commentary with Amanda Tapping on the DVD's for 'Quarantine', he was just horrible to Zelenka. Saying things that were clearly NOT how Amanda and David played the scene. That conversation in 'Trio' was an extension of that and it did not work well at all because the majority of fans did not see that in Zelenka. We saw scruffy and a bit odd - pigeon races mind you, but definitely not weird or creepy.

I'm waiting on Exogenesis to arrive so I can read about Radek. I have the first few SG-1 and SGA books from Fandemonium, but our local bookstore closed and I never got around to getting more, so I missed that one! I have both of the audio dramas he did, and I would love if they did more of those, especially with recurring characters.
        I really enjoyed Exogenesis. I even brought it to a convention and had David sign it! Let me know how you like it when you get a chance to read it.
        sigpic

Comment

Holy crap! That's a LOT of posting to read through! You all had some absolutely hilarious stuff going on, especially with the text for screencaps!!! ROFL!!

I've finished the first 500 pages..... Think I'll go drool over all the lovely Radek photos I saved on the PC before drifting off to dreamland.
          sigpic
          Lady Pandora

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
            Feel free to post it on the Facebook page. We are trying to make that page more fan interactive...it's just tough because David's got some other Facebook pages out there (not his, one's that other fans have started) but none of them are very active and with SGA being off-the-air and not seeing reruns in syndication right now, David doesn't get a lot of fan attention anymore, except at conventions.
            Will do! Guess that means I should log onto FB again.... which means I'd have to stop reading this thread.... next week work for you? lol!

David is an awesome and very versatile actor which is one of the reasons why he very quickly became one of my all-time favorite actors. I have him up there with Sandra Bullock, Billy Boyd (my favorite Hobbit) and Ryan Reynolds who are all also in my top favorites.
            I broke down and rented Helen on Amazon Prime just to see him... only got partway through the movie so far (not really thrilled with the actual movie), but I squeeee every time he's onscreen! Pulled out the Eureka DVDs to watch that ep last week. Trying to decide if I want to watch Arrow from the beginning or simply start with David's character bits. Any thoughts on that?

That bad dialogue in 'Trio' was more Martin Gero not liking Zelenka, or more so it was that McKay was his favorite and he didn't want detractors from that and fans were loving Zelenka. If you ever listen to his commentary with Amanda Tapping on the DVD's for 'Quarantine', he was just horrible to Zelenka. Saying things that were clearly NOT how Amanda and David played the scene. That conversation in 'Trio' was an extension of that and it did not work well at all because the majority of fans did not see that in Zelenka. We saw scruffy and a bit odd - pigeon races mind you, but definitely not weird or creepy.
            There is something seriously wrong with Martin Gero. How can one possibly dislike Zelenka?!? You know, I'd play good money to have TPTB release the extended versions of all 5 seasons on Bluray.... which would include all those lovely Zelenka bits that were cut for some stupid reason or other.

I really enjoyed Exogenesis. I even brought it to a convention and had David sign it! Let me know how you like it when you get a chance to read it.
            I'll let you know. I'm impatiently awaiting its arrival! I went up to Vancouver for the 2012 con. Saw Jewel Staite (she's lovely in person) and Joe/Paul/David H. We paid gen admission so had crappy seats but was very entertaining! Only bummer was no David Nykl!! I would so love to go to the big one this year, especially since David Nykl will be there, but there is no way I can afford it. I keep hoping that he'll show up at one of the Pacific Northwest conventions at a time and place that I can actually attend it.

That reminds me... are you the one who was from Wenatchee? I live in Yakima (center of the apple universe) and work in Selah (Global headquarters for Tree Top Inc.). Small world, hmm?
            sigpic
            Lady Pandora

Comment

Background on my laptop:
              0205TrinityZeleka.jpg

Background on my work PC:
              sga-1x18-0249_b.jpg
              There are a few people I work with who get this look on a regular basis..... lol!
              sigpic
              Lady Pandora

Comment

Will do! Guess that means I should log onto FB again.... which means I'd have to stop reading this thread.... next week work for you? lol!
                You can do both!

I broke down and rented Helen on Amazon Prime just to see him... only got partway through the movie so far (not really thrilled with the actual movie), but I squeeee every time he's onscreen!
                Helen is a very dark movie. David was barely in it which was bit frustrating for me. He was suppose to be Helen's best friend and I think they must have cut most of his scenes. Where as Hewlett was barely there for filming and he was in the movie more than Nykl.

Pulled out the Eureka DVDs to watch that ep last week. Trying to decide if I want to watch Arrow from the beginning or simply start with David's character bits. Any thoughts on that?
                Well, other than a few episodes last season, most of David's appearances in Arrow, especially this season, have been very small, not alot of screen time. He has had a few episodes where he's been in in for a few minutes but I don't recall the titles. The last few episodes, he's been in it for like a minute in each episode.

You almost need to start watching Arrow from the beginning because the story builds from episode to episode. I hope that we get one or two episodes that focus more on David's character.

There is something seriously wrong with Martin Gero. How can one possibly dislike Zelenka?!? You know, I'd play good money to have TPTB release the extended versions of all 5 seasons on Bluray.... which would include all those lovely Zelenka bits that were cut for some stupid reason or other.
                He's a writer and he doesn't think like we fans do. Characters on shows, movies, books, etc... are just parts of the story that needs telling somehow. He really liked McKay, I think of all the characters on the show, McKay was one he was most similar with. I didn't get all the Zelenka bashing either, mostly because it didn't fit with the groundwork that came before it and really ended up making other characters look bad.

OMG you said Zelenka bits!

I'll let you know. I'm impatiently awaiting its arrival! I went up to Vancouver for the 2012 con. Saw Jewel Staite (she's lovely in person) and Joe/Paul/David H. We paid gen admission so had crappy seats but was very entertaining! Only bummer was no David Nykl!! I would so love to go to the big one this year, especially since David Nykl will be there, but there is no way I can afford it. I keep hoping that he'll show up at one of the Pacific Northwest conventions at a time and place that I can actually attend it.
                David is doing at least three cons here in the US this year bust so far none on the West coast.

That reminds me... are you the one who was from Wenatchee? I live in Yakima (center of the apple universe) and work in Selah (Global headquarters for Tree Top Inc.). Small world, hmm?
                No, I am not from Wenatchee - is it still the apple city of Washington state. I know Washington State quite well.
                sigpic

Comment

Well, other than a few episodes last season, most of David's appearances in Arrow, especially this season, have been very small, not alot of screen time. He has had a few episodes where he's been in in for a few minutes but I don't recall the titles. The last few episodes, he's been in it for like a minute in each episode.

You almost need to start watching Arrow from the beginning because the story builds from episode to episode. I hope that we get one or two episodes that focus more on David's character.
                  I'll add it to the list... if only to see more of David!

He's a writer and he doesn't think like we fans do. Characters on shows, movies, books, etc... are just parts of the story that needs telling somehow. He really liked McKay, I think of all the characters on the show, McKay was one he was most similar with. I didn't get all the Zelenka bashing either, mostly because it didn't fit with the groundwork that came before it and really ended up making other characters look bad.
                  And I'd think it would be important for a writer to make sure what he was writing fit with the groundwork laid before.... but that's just me.... lol!

OMG you said Zelenka bits!
                  Whoops!!

David is doing at least three cons here in the US this year but so far none on the West coast.
                  Figures.

No, I am not from Wenatchee - is it still the apple city of Washington state. I know Washington State quite well.
                  I don't know about Wenatchee being the apple city. The majority of apples and cherries are grown in and around the Yakima valley, and most of the towns around here have the apple as part of their town seal/flag/logo.
                  sigpic
                  Lady Pandora

Comment

You know you've got it bad when you're on imdb looking to see what David has been in, and you realize he was on Once Upon A Time, so you pull out the DVD, put it in.... and get so ticked that he was onscreen for like 60 seconds before getting turned into a fish!! How's a girl supposed to get a fix that way?
                    sigpic
                    Lady Pandora

Comment

So... an idle thought for you.... Rodney is Canadian, English is a 1st language plus he grew up in a much better place than Radek did. Radek grew up behind the Iron Curtain, English is NOT his native tongue yet he's very fluent in it (until Rodney pi$$es him off), and he had to play catch-up due to all that. Wouldn't that automatically make him the bigger genius? Oh, and there's the whole adorable, thunkable and humble thing....

I've decided that Radek just doesn't want the headaches of running the department and going offworld all the time, although he really should get credit some of the time!!

(I'm going to get flamed by a McKay fanatic, aren't I?)
                      sigpic
                      Lady Pandora

Comment

You know you've got it bad when you're on imdb looking to see what David has been in, and you realize he was on Once Upon A Time, so you pull out the DVD, put it in.... and get so ticked that he was onscreen for like 60 seconds before getting turned into a fish!! How's a girl supposed to get a fix that way?
                        Most of David's TV appearance have been short.

At least with Arrow we are getting to see him on TV again even if it's not alot, though for the storytelling part I get it. Though tonight's episode you can really see a fire in his eye. Nice seeing David play such a different role and another side to his acting talents. I won't spoil the episode for those who haven't seen it.

I hope they bring him back in Continuum.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'll add it to the list... if only to see more of David!
                          Did you ever get David's movie "The Beast of Bottomless Lake". It's not in print anymore and I believe they shut the website down so you can't order anymore. The movie was awesome...David was spot on with portraying an egotistical, out of touch scientist.

And I'd think it would be important for a writer to make sure what he was writing fit with the groundwork laid before.... but that's just me.... lol!
                          Me too.. but when creativity is involved, sometimes the person behind it want to do their own thing instead or to start trying to change something already established. Don't always agree, but I get why. However, no one should be messing with Zelenka!

I don't know about Wenatchee being the apple city. The majority of apples and cherries are grown in and around the Yakima valley, and most of the towns around here have the apple as part of their town seal/flag/logo.
                          It's been awhile since I've been out there and I suspect things have changed. I see that alot of the Yakima, Walla Walla area is now into fruit and wine making. When I was out there it was the wheat farmer and acres and acres of wheat growing.....apples were popular and some of the best I've ever eaten but wheat was the main crop.

(I'm going to get flamed by a McKay fanatic, aren't I?)
                          lol...I don't think they come to this thread much anymore so you should be safe. Besides, this is
                          Zelenka's thread so they better be nice!
                          sigpic

Comment

So... an idle thought for you.... Rodney is Canadian, English is a 1st language plus he grew up in a much better place than Radek did. Radek grew up behind the Iron Curtain, English is NOT his native tongue yet he's very fluent in it (until Rodney pi$$es him off), and he had to play catch-up due to all that. Wouldn't that automatically make him the bigger genius? Oh, and there's the whole adorable, thunkable and humble thing....
                            While I don't think learning two languages makes one more intelligent then the other, we all know that Radek was the more brilliant scientist. Humility is a sign of intelligence in my book, something which Radek had in abundance supply.

I've decided that Radek just doesn't want the headaches of running the department and going offworld all the time, although he really should get credit some of the time!!
                            Radek is the head of his own department. They never said what department but Radek did mentioned it during a spat the two were having in one episode - I don't remember the episode at the moment.
                            sigpic

Comment

I believe somewhere it was mentioned that Radek ran the Engineering department.... don't remember where I heard that but I have it firmly ingrained in my brain. By "department head" I actually meant of the entire sciences department... aka Rodney's job.

I do agree that knowing multiple languages doesn't make him automatically smarter, but The fact that he caught up so quickly in regards to science & tech after not really having grown up with it does qualify him... at least in my book. And yeah, I agree about the humility as a sign of intelligence.

I have not seen The Beast of Bottomless Lake!! And I haven't been able to find it anywhere either! I'll just have to hope I stumble onto a copy somewhere..... *fingers crossed*

You know, it's definitely a credit to David's acting skills that Radek is the only character I know of that no one ever disliked. That man can say so much with just his eyes and facial expressions. Definitely going to have to watch some Arrow. Even brief bits of David is better than none at all. Almost makes me wish I lived in Canada as I bet he's in more stuff that never airs in the US.
                              sigpic
                              Lady Pandora

Comment

I believe somewhere it was mentioned that Radek ran the Engineering department.... don't remember where I heard that but I have it firmly ingrained in my brain. By "department head" I actually meant of the entire sciences department... aka Rodney's job.

I do agree that knowing multiple languages doesn't make him automatically smarter, but The fact that he caught up so quickly in regards to science & tech after not really having grown up with it does qualify him... at least in my book. And yeah, I agree about the humility as a sign of intelligence.
                                True...though you never know as a scientist he may have had to know some English at some point because alot of research papers would be in English. It's one of those fun things to think about.

I have not seen The Beast of Bottomless Lake!! And I haven't been able to find it anywhere either! I'll just have to hope I stumble onto a copy somewhere..... *fingers crossed*
                                You might have a hard time finding it. I am not sure how many copies were made and sold. David doesn't bring it to conventions anymore for signing autographs. Hopefully you will see or find something on it. It's definitely a movie that is a must have in any David Nykl collection.

You know, it's definitely a credit to David's acting skills that Radek is the only character I know of that no one ever disliked. That man can say so much with just his eyes and facial expressions. Definitely going to have to watch some Arrow. Even brief bits of David is better than none at all. Almost makes me wish I lived in Canada as I bet he's in more stuff that never airs in the US.
                                I agree. David can express so much through his eyes and facial expressions, he doesn't really have to talk to convey his attitude or tone.

Yeah, he's been in a few things that are only in Canada like 'Packaged Deal' ...bit of a bummer but who knows, sometimes those shows do make syndication in the States.

At least with Arrow, his role may be small but it's still been a pretty powerful role and it's recurring so we get him back on TV for a bit. David makes the most of the screen time he is given. Tonight's episode he was really good in.

He does theater too and that always seems to be in Canada only.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X