Radek Zelenka/David Nykl Appreciation, Thunk, Translation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
    Zuz made it back when she was making smilies for everyone. I am not sure if you remember her or not - she has a smilies thread here on GW though she doesn't come here anymore. Zuz is also Czech and was a really great support during my crazy fan stage of *thunking* Zelenka. She's also one of the reasons why I started learning Czech though my workplace which offers several language courses, though I never got good enough to start e-mailing her before she disappeared. Just finished up on another year of very informal training and gotta say I am loving learning your language.
    I remember her That´s nice that Zelenka had such impact for some people to start learning a language that only some 10+ millions of people in the world use

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

*raises hand shyly* Um,I'm gonna give Czech a go once my local public library offers it. Any advice (or links) to help get my head in the right place for studying Czech? *high fives David for inspiring folks to learn Czech* More Czech shots please!! Woohoo!! }:O
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
        I remember her That´s nice that Zelenka had such impact for some people to start learning a language that only some 10+ millions of people in the world use

Originally posted by Crimsonravenwolf View Post
        *raises hand shyly* Um,I'm gonna give Czech a go once my local public library offers it. Any advice (or links) to help get my head in the right place for studying Czech? *high fives David for inspiring folks to learn Czech* More Czech shots please!! Woohoo!! }:O
        I have some links to some on-line sites that I can send - I am having problems with my bookmarks so I will have to find the sites again. We used a few in class so they are good links.

When studing Czech, DON'T start thinking about Zelenka...it will totally throw you off from trying to understand the words!

And don't get frustrated with all the constants in words, Czech has some words that string together alot of constants before a vowel shows up and for non-Czech speakers, that can be kind of hard to pronounce, they love their zzzzzzzzzzz's and they have a unique 'r' that is really hard to pronouce unless you start learning how to when you are a kid !

Enjoy...I have to say I have been enjoying learning Czech.
        sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Aye, yi, can you throw me those links too, Rosehawk, please? I've been playing with self-teaching Czech for a year, but still can't actually SAY anything. I know and can write several phrases and words, but nothing conversational. I've looked in bookstores all over San Antonio and can't find a 'Czech 101' at all!!! I've been learning out of a phrasebook I got on clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Nayari View Post
            Aye, yi, can you throw me those links too, Rosehawk, please? I've been playing with self-teaching Czech for a year, but still can't actually SAY anything. I know and can write several phrases and words, but nothing conversational. I've looked in bookstores all over San Antonio and can't find a 'Czech 101' at all!!! I've been learning out of a phrasebook I got on clearance.
            Yep..just give me a day or two. My google has aquired a virus that we can't get rid of...keeps trying to bring a new search engine on board...we've deleted it umpteen times and it keeps coming back....so I can't get into my bookmarks until I get to my work computer - virus only seems to be attacking google.

We actually have a Czech guy who is helping assist in the class and he's helping us with alot with the pronuciation of words. Class is pretty informal, this year we got through the whole text and learned all the different cases and deliniations...the teacher's intent this year was just to expose us to all aspects of the Czech language; so next year we are going to focus on building up the vocabulary, talking and writing....I am the only female in class so I get the extra challenge of remembering when to use the feminine version - if I don't; the Czech guy starts laughing at me!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
              Yep..just give me a day or two. My google has aquired a virus that we can't get rid of...keeps trying to bring a new search engine on board...we've deleted it umpteen times and it keeps coming back....so I can't get into my bookmarks until I get to my work computer - virus only seems to be attacking google.
              OT:
              Spoiler:
              Try Norton power eraser.

I had something happen once where I couldn't search using Google in any browser expect Opera, and If I did search using Google when I'd click on a link in the search results it would just show a page with a server name on it, so I searched the problem with Google in Opera and came across Norton Power Eraser. It's free tool and it will remove problem viruses. If you leave the settings as is it will require to restart your computer because it scans for rootkits. Just make sure you don't remove any legitimate programs because sometimes it can pick those up.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Thanks Rosehawk,I look forward to getting those links when ya get your computer fixed. Hmm...how about I send Radek over to fix your computer problem? What a lovely thought. More Czech shots please!! Woohoo!! }:O
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks Rosehawk,I look forward to getting those links when ya get your computer fixed. Hmm...how about I send Radek over to fix your computer problem? What a lovely thought. More Czech shots please!! Woohoo!! }:O
                  Yeah...except he'd probably never make it to the computer!
                  sigpic

Comment

ooOOoo! Can Radek come over and fix my computer too? Pretty please?
                    sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

*smirks* Of course Ever,I'll send Radek to ya once he returns from Rosehawk's place. hehe *schedules another customer for Radek's Computer Repair and Stripper Service* Crap,I just blew up my own damn brain cell. Yay!! More Czech shots please!! Woohoo!! }:O
                      sigpic

Comment

I think I'd be downloading every virus available if that were the case!
                        sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

*smirks* Of course Ever,I'll send Radek to ya once he returns from Rosehawk's place. hehe *schedules another customer for Radek's Computer Repair and Stripper Service* Crap,I just blew up my own damn brain cell. Yay!! More Czech shots please!! Woohoo!! }:O
                          That's providing I ever let him leave!!!!
                          Last edited by Rosehawk; 01 June 2012, 02:44 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Okay...here are some of the sites for learning Czech (and other languages)

Livemocha; my instructor used this site sporadically in class, partly because we had an actual Czech person who volunteered to help him with the class and helped us with pronouciation and other unique characteristics of Czech.
                            http://livemocha.com/
                            Go down to products and then click on Language courses and follow the instructions from there.

This site is one I use at home. You can hear the language and it teaches some of the basics. More of a site to help teach tourists a few key things.
                            http://www.locallingo.com/

And this link is a Czech on-line new source that is in English. Part of learning a new language is also understanding the people and what is happening in the country.
                            http://www.praguepost.com/

Enjoy learning everyone! My experience has been fun, though on occasion when I have to think quickly I tend to translate into Spanish first (I've had 5 years of Spanish) - it's just amazing the way the brain works sometimes!
                            sigpic

Comment

*grins* Rosehawk,are ya saying ya could keep Radek busy? hehe Ever,if Rosehawk releases Radek within the next,say year,I'll send him on to you. As long as you lot promise to feed him,and pet him,and call him Hot Czech Stuff,I don't think Radek will argue. lol Thanks for the links Rosehawk!! More Czech shots please!! Woohoo!! }:O
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
                                OT:
                                Spoiler:
                                Try Norton power eraser.

I had something happen once where I couldn't search using Google in any browser expect Opera, and If I did search using Google when I'd click on a link in the search results it would just show a page with a server name on it, so I searched the problem with Google in Opera and came across Norton Power Eraser. It's free tool and it will remove problem viruses. If you leave the settings as is it will require to restart your computer because it scans for rootkits. Just make sure you don't remove any legitimate programs because sometimes it can pick those up.
                                Thanks... It doesn't matter how many times we remove it, it keeps coming back - it's a, well now it's two search engines that popup with Google.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X