No announcement yet.

Radek Zelenka/David Nykl Appreciation, Thunk, Translation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of the pic I posted, and of Nayari's question of if Radek's married or not. Could the "sweetheart/darling" he was referring to in LtP be his sister? The one with the kids that smear sticky things on all the furniture?
    sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
      And you haven't shared pics? For sooth!
      I wish I wasn't so dirt broke right now. I'd get it.
      While I can make video's on my computer, I can't do screen shots.

I know the movie's a bit pricy..part of that is Vancouver where everything is expensive, part being an Independent movie and trying to recoup some of their money, and part because they had to made the DVD in Canada instead of Japan.

Maybe you can suggest someone get it for you for a birthday or Christmas present?

Originally posted by Everlovin
      Thinking of the pic I posted, and of Nayari's question of if Radek's married or not. Could the "sweetheart/darling" he was referring to in LtP be his sister? The one with the kids that smear sticky things on all the furniture?
      I believe David said in one of he first interviews - I don't have the link to it but I think it was a Gateworld interview that he just threw that line in. It was part of him being able to improv his Czech lines. His thinking was that everyone had to leave someone behind and he was implying it was a girlfriend. However he said that the producers didn't really pick up on it. I suppose with Radek being a secondary character, all the attention and love-life stuff was going to go to the main characters.
      I think we were just fortune enough to find out that Radek had a sister, nephew and a brother while growing up poor. Of all the secondary characters, we actually got more background about his past (which wasn't much) then any of the other secondary characters.
      sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
        That's actually the assumption I have been going under - that he was talking to his sister. It seemed strange for a brother to call his sister 'sweetheart' or 'darling', but I am American, not Czech, so I'm guessing it's a cultural difference. Plus, with what little we know of Radek's background, I think it's very safe to say that he is extremely close to his family. Growing up during the occupation, living in the conditions he did, the way he speaks about each member of his family, even his own actions such as being the only person to not get caught during the events of 'Tabula Rasa', (and in fact being able to run, hide, and defend himself successfully).....I've forgotten my point here but I think it was that it's wholly possible he would address his sister in this way.

Hiccups, those fangirl meetings sound absolutely AMAZING. When's the next one?

EDIT! Ha ha, Rosehawk answered faster than me. So he did have a girlfriend then! But since the producers never picked up on it and it was never mentioned again....perhaps we can assume that after five years in the Pegasus Galaxy the strain was too much. At least, that's what I'm going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nayari View Post
          EDIT! Ha ha, Rosehawk answered faster than me. So he did have a girlfriend then! But since the producers never picked up on it and it was never mentioned again....perhaps we can assume that after five years in the Pegasus Galaxy the strain was too much. At least, that's what I'm going on.
          lol...I don't know if we can say he DID have a girlfriend as it never made canon. David set the stage but it never went anywhere. Definitely good fanfics fodder though!

I'd have to say that given Radek's fun quirks (pigeon races), he was still a very kind and gentle man and in my mind, would most definitly have had at least a girlfriend while on Earth, maybe not wife as he didn't seem to be overly thrilled with kids - though that could have just been his nephew who might have been spoiled.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
            lol...I don't know if we can say he DID have a girlfriend as it never made canon. David set the stage but it never went anywhere. Definitely good fanfics fodder though!

I'd have to say that given Radek's fun quirks (pigeon races), he was still a very kind and gentle man and in my mind, would most definitly have had at least a girlfriend, maybe not wife as he didn't seem to be overly thrilled with kids - though that could have just been his nephew who might have been spoiled.
            He has a romantic interest in my fanfiction, though it is a slow-moving relationship. I am not sure at all how he is romantically or how he would 'court' someone so to speak, but I have this idea that will hopefully develop over several stories (the fanfiction I am writing with my two friends is actually just the first of a series we have planned). I'm with you though, Rosehawk, I do think he would have had a girlfriend. To begin with, at least. It's nice to have my suspicions confirmed.

((And here's a taste of our 'regularly scheduled programming' while we discuss this 'special report'))

Spoiler:

"Pay up."

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA yes! "All right, double or nothing!"

Comment

Hahahahahahaha yes! "All right. Double or nothing!"

Comment

He has a romantic interest in my fanfiction, though it is a slow-moving relationship. I am not sure at all how he is romantically or how he would 'court' someone so to speak, but I have this idea that will hopefully develop over several stories (the fanfiction I am writing with my two friends is actually just the first of a series we have planned). I'm with you though, Rosehawk, I do think he would have had a girlfriend. To begin with, at least. It's nice to have my suspicions confirmed.

((And here's a taste of our 'regularly scheduled programming' while we discuss this 'special report'))

lol...I like your idea of Radek taking it slowly!

Looking forward to reading your fanfic!
                  sigpic

Comment

LOL YES! "All right, double or nothing!" I don't think Radek lost a single bet. Nor do I think he lost a single chess game. I don't know who was luckier, him or Dr. Ambrose.

Comment

((ok what's going on, I've been trying to post for the last 5 minutes and it keeps kicking me out without posting, and now it says 'you are making a duplicate post' and won't let me post....have I done something wrong?

Comment

And now my post is out of order.....what the heck?

Well in case this one goes through, I was commenting on:

I don't think Radek ever lost a bet! Or a chess game. I don't know who was luckier, Radek or Dr. Ambrose,

Comment

Dang it, the picture didn't go through, I thought for sure I had linked it properly! Well, here it is again:

Spoiler:

"Pay up."

Gushing/thunking more about Radek, does anyone else find the fact that he's a betting man completely charming?

Comment

Not sure if this got posted or not. Thought it was a fun interview that David did earlier this summer at a convention!

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2...a-sydney-2011/
                            sigpic

Comment

Dang it, the picture didn't go through, I thought for sure I had linked it properly! Well, here it is again:

It worked. It's just on requotes the IMG tags have to be removed.

Originally posted by Nayari
                              Gushing/thunking more about Radek, does anyone else find the fact that he's a betting man completely charming?
                              I like because he's always right too! He knows Rodney so well and he knows when Rodney will take a fools bet! Remember Tao of Rodney???
                              sigpic

Comment

I think it's more like in Paint Your Wagon where Clint Eastwood says, "I don't gamble." Then Lee Marvin says, "Neither does he." If Radek always wins, who says it's a gamble? (And no, I'm not saying he cheats. I'm just saying he knows the numbers.)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X