Radek Zelenka/David Nykl Appreciation, Thunk, Translation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nerual
    Yeah I agree, the military start all the messes in the world up and then expect scientists and citizens to sort everything else out.
    People don't normally respond to such assertions because they don't know where to begin! Suffice it to say, shock and awe momentarily took on a whole new meaning.

Or, to borrow a name from Reefgirl's reply and put it another way: Margaret Thatcher wasn't in the military.
    Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by Nerual
      I'm still up for the Zelenka that nobody sees, the bottom-kicking one.
      I've always wondered a) if Zelenka grew up in Czechoslavakia, and 2) if so, would he have done some kind of national service, and 3) if so, how good or perfunctory his training might have been.

I can't think how I might find out.

Of course, one easy out would be to have him raised in a country where he would *definitely* have done national service, e.g. Switzerland. Serving in the military is also a way to get citizenship in some countries.
      Last edited by Wordsmit2; 14 March 2006, 12:24 PM.
      Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl
        Reefgirl, can you edit your picture so that it's no wider than 600 to 625 pixels? Larger than that makes my screen go all wonky. This picture is 960 pixels wide!

Thanks in advance.

My kind of guy:
        "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
        Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
        (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Ok

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmit2
            People don't normally respond to such assertions because they don't know where to begin! Suffice it to say, shock and awe momentarily took on a whole new meaning.

Or, to borrow a name from Reefgirl's reply and put it another way: Margaret Thatcher wasn't in the military.
            Sorry about that if anyone felt offended or anything. When I talk about this kind of stuff I have a bit of a habit of getting on the wrong side of things.

LOL.

About Zelenka doing national service, the fact that he's notthe most talkative person gives me the impression that he might have said some things in the past that he's regretted.

What do you think?

Eirual.
            Rockett_Series inspired by the funniest thread on the interweb/(under construction)

eirual + nerrad = nerual

Comment

I think I might give Zelenka a bit of a Past, he's old enough to have been educated under the communist regime maybe his parents could have been involved in the 68 uprising or something, been in the underground, bought him up to work against the Russians. could be interesting.

Don't worry about anything that was said over the weekend, we down here in Gosport are proud of the Falklands Vets and we're proud of the fact they chose Gosport as the headquarters for the Falkland Verterans Foundation, you don't have to apologise to me for anything.

Comment

Phew...so I'm not in trouble, good...

Maybe Zelenka was married himself but something dreadul happened to his wife. He says he's not fond of kids, maybe something happened during childbirth or something...

*Thinks about it* Aww poor Radie.

Eirual.

P.S. I know he has a problem with his nephew lol.
                Rockett_Series inspired by the funniest thread on the interweb/(under construction)

eirual + nerrad = nerual

Comment

I can't see Zelenka being married somehow, he strikes me as more love me love my profession kind of guy, his career is everything. I definatly see him as rebelling against Communism in his youth

Comment

I can't see Zelenka being married somehow, he strikes me as more love me love my profession kind of guy, his career is everything. I definatly see him as rebelling against Communism in his youth

Yeah, plus he none too fond of kids either...

I love Zelenka..! He's great! I especially love it when he takes Rodney down a peg or too. I love McKay too, but he has to get his pokes like everyone else...

The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmit2
                      I've always wondered a) if Zelenka grew up in Czechoslavakia, and 2) if so, would he have done some kind of national service, and 3) if so, how good or perfunctory his training might have been.

I can't think how I might find out.

Of course, one easy out would be to have him raised in a country where he would *definitely* have done national service, e.g. Switzerland. Serving in the military is also a way to get citizenship in some countries.
                      There is a very very high probability that he had done a military service, since it was obligatory by the time he was supposed to live here (in Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic).
                      But still I´m not sure if it answers your question.

Comment

Hi all, I need a bit of help with a piece of FanFic (See link at the bottom of the sig). Can someone translate this line into Czech for me "For God's sake McKay get your mind out of the gutter for once"

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by blekablu
                          There is a very very high probability that he had done a military service, since it was obligatory by the time he was supposed to live here (in Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic).
                          But still I´m not sure if it answers your question.
                          I'd say Zelenka is in his early 40's so he would have done military service under Communist rule then, possibly, as he's a scientist been commendeered into the Soviet Nuclear programme or space programme as a young man

Comment

You know what, a rebellious Radek sounds interesting. Please understand that if I get this wrong, it's because I don't know that much about what happened in Czechoslovakia.

Eager to learn though.

Eirual.

eirual + nerrad = nerual

Comment

Hi all, I need a bit of help with a piece of FanFic (See link at the bottom of the sig). Can someone translate this line into Czech for me "For God's sake McKay get your mind out of the gutter for once"

Thanks in advance
                              Well I'll be happy to translate it.
                              Just, what exactly means "get the mind out of the gutter"?

BSG.CZ - Your Guide To Battlestar Galactica in Czech.

Comment

I've heard the term before but I've never tried to explain it. I think it means 'think more positively' or 'be more positive'.

I should know people say it to me all the time LOL.

Eirual.

eirual + nerrad = nerual

Comment

Working...
                                X