John Sheppard Whump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mtee1958

Our hero, be he a Major or an archeologist, gets whumped and our heart goes thud! The one thing we don't get enough of are the final scenes, the recuperation scenes. That's where all those great authors come in handy. I wish we could see more of that part. 38 Mins. gave us a good tag, but usually they get rescued and that's it. I would like to see the pain/angst of the recovery process as well.

Agreed!! At least we got a tag after 38 Minutes. In The Defiant One, I find it hard to believe that he got up and walked away with barely a grimace. There should have been some damage done and it would have been nice to have gotten some sadistic thrill over seeing the pain I guess that's what we have fanfic writers for After all, our heros are only human!
    sigpic
    Read about my SGA set visit at My LiveJournal - June 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Salty
      Agreed!! At least we got a tag after 38 Minutes. In The Defiant One, I find it hard to believe that he got up and walked away with barely a grimace. There should have been some damage done and it would have been nice to have gotten some sadistic thrill over seeing the pain I guess that's what we have fanfic writers for After all, our heros are only human!
      DEFIANT ONE really should have been a 2 parter. They could have done a whole second hour dealing with John's injuries and the reality of Gaul's death. BOth guys needed to deal with it and John could have helped Rodney with Gaul and his own guilt would have come into play, and all the while he would have been trying to avoid the infirmary. We NEED to SEE SHeppard and Carson interaction over Shep's injuries. NEED NEED NEED! LOL

Comment

And this is why we have fanfics! Maybe TPTB need to hire a few fanfic writers Or at least have a suggestion box we can stuff
        sigpic

Comment

True Salty -there are alot of fabulous fanfic writers out there who have the characters nailed in both dialogue and dimension. You know the screen writers are aware of us - ala Citizen Joe (last week's Stargate ep) -- so maybe we will see more tag scenes dealing with this.

Comment

indeed.... SOME fanfic-ers have the characters down REALLY WELL!!! others don't, but well that gives us more options anyway

they really do need more whumping "aftermath" on the show!! and i concur with needing more after the defiant one!! mckay got an emotional whumping and shep got a physical whump BIG time.... poor guy...

Comment

Originally posted by emily_reich
              indeed.... SOME fanfic-ers have the characters down REALLY WELL!!! others don't, but well that gives us more options anyway

they really do need more whumping "aftermath" on the show!! and i concur with needing more after the defiant one!! mckay got an emotional whumping and shep got a physical whump BIG time.... poor guy...
              I love the fanfic. As a writer I admit to WHUMPING Shep in pretty much every fic I've written. He's just made for it. Physically and emotionally.
              I have to say the emotional WHUMP is starting to kick in in the last few eps for sure. It's breaking my heart and that's because of Joe. He's just giving Shep all the layers that the writers aren't giving us. LOL

And Joe/Shep are just perfect for Whumping of both the physical and the emotional kind. He just has this vulnerability to him. His beauty adds to the overall effect. Yet he's just relentless when he gets whumped. It's watching the struggle and watching him NEVER give up that draws me to the whumping. Regardless of whether it's physical or emotional. THat's why I adore 38 minutes. IT was both.

And at the end of DEFIANT, Shep did the right thing after Rodney told him Gaul didn't make it. They were both worn out and it was not the time to deal with it. THat's why they SO needed another hour. Just to deal with Shep's injuries. And for both men to deal with what had happened. Shep suffered the loss as much as Rodney. As the team leader you know he feels every loss as his own.

Comment

see, why is everyone so much more articulate than i am

yes exactly!!! it's that vulnerability that joe brings to the role that really makes it WORTH it (quite frankly) to have shep whumped... you can see him never give up and always try to keep that outward friendliness and security while you can tell he's wearing down slowly on the inside and it gets harder every time... he seems to me (especially as he seems very alone and private about most of his feelings and doesn't seem to let that many people get very close to him) like the kind of character that's headed for a breakdown... many characters have breakdowns and it just doesn't work sometimes... but i think shep is one character that it would fit very well and would truly be moving emotionally to see him breakdown when no one is there to see him....

Comment

Last night I rewatched what I think is the major Shep whumping episode: 38 Minutes. Everytime he grimaces in pain, I want to hug him to pieces!

At the end, when he's been revived and is in the infirmary -- you can see the outline of his legs under the blanket -- IS HE WEARING ANYTHING BEYOND THE TOP??!! My fingers were itching to yank away the blanket!

Comment

see, why is everyone so much more articulate than i am

yes exactly!!! it's that vulnerability that joe brings to the role that really makes it WORTH it (quite frankly) to have shep whumped... you can see him never give up and always try to keep that outward friendliness and security while you can tell he's wearing down slowly on the inside and it gets harder every time... he seems to me (especially as he seems very alone and private about most of his feelings and doesn't seem to let that many people get very close to him) like the kind of character that's headed for a breakdown... many characters have breakdowns and it just doesn't work sometimes... but i think shep is one character that it would fit very well and would truly be moving emotionally to see him breakdown when no one is there to see him....

That's it exactly. In some fanfic characters are whumped or have breakdowns that just don't work for me. It's NOT the character. Fanfic is so you can write what you'll never get to see, but it should still be IN Character for the character. I should still hear the character's voice when I read it, or write it.

Shep is prime for a breakdown. I know alot of Rodney lovers love to write Rodney that way. But I don't see it. He verbalizes everything. He's getting HELP for what's stressing him <Future ep> He deals with things in his own way. He's alot tougher emotionally than people seem to want him to be.

So is Shep. But Shep doesn't share things. Doesn't talk about them. Doesn't get help. And he's suffered the most. He is so carrying the guilt of Sumner's deaht. Of waking the Wraith. He's the one guy who didn't even know what a STARGATE was until he stepped through it. And now he has all theses LIVES, not just the Atlanteans, resting on HIS shoulders. And he's a very passionate/caring man. He's the first one at the side of a fallen comrade. You can see Sheppard wearing down and starting to crack a bit in the last few eps. IT's beautiful and painful to watch.

I want the show to do an ep to SHOW this happening, but of course Sheppard will fight it all the way and win. And that would be fantastic to watch because of Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
                      That's it exactly. In some fanfic characters are whumped or have breakdowns that just don't work for me. It's NOT the character. Fanfic is so you can write what you'll never get to see, but it should still be IN Character for the character. I should still hear the character's voice when I read it, or write it.

Shep is prime for a breakdown. I know alot of Rodney lovers love to write Rodney that way. But I don't see it. He verbalizes everything. He's getting HELP for what's stressing him <Future ep> He deals with things in his own way. He's alot tougher emotionally than people seem to want him to be.

So is Shep. But Shep doesn't share things. Doesn't talk about them. Doesn't get help. And he's suffered the most. He is so carrying the guilt of Sumner's deaht. Of waking the Wraith. He's the one guy who didn't even know what a STARGATE was until he stepped through it. And now he has all theses LIVES, not just the Atlanteans, resting on HIS shoulders. And he's a very passionate/caring man. He's the first one at the side of a fallen comrade. You can see Sheppard wearing down and starting to crack a bit in the last few eps. IT's beautiful and painful to watch.

I want the show to do an ep to SHOW this happening, but of course Sheppard will fight it all the way and win. And that would be fantastic to watch because of Joe.
                      I agree with you Merlin.

I really would like to know why Shep was all by himself when he was deciding whether to go on the expedition in Rising. Shep's bio states that his father is a respected Cold War general. Is his father so distant that Shep can't bring up that he is going away, possibly forever? When Shep was disciplined for disobeying orders in Afghanistan, did his father maybe not want to talk to him because of what he did? What was his father like when Shep was growing up? If he was a real disciplinarian, maybe that is why Shep distrusts authority.

I think maybe because of his childhood, that's why Shep doesn't share things. [Random thought: wonder if Shep's mother is still alive?]

Comment

yeah... i definately think the reason he closes himself off has to do with his childhood somehow... don't know if it's related to his parents or anything, but i think SOMETHING that happened just changed his life completely and he for some reason decided either he couldn't trust people with his feelings or he thought there was something about himself that he didn't want people to know or he was afraid about what might happen if people found out....

but you are absolutely right that he is still an outwardly caring person... he truly cares about what happens to others and he doesn't like to see them in danger... ESPECIALLY when he caused that danger.... and i really think more than ANYTHING seeing what has happened since he woke up the wraith (despite the fact that it was bound to happen and if he hadn't gone to rescue the people he would have felt guilty about that too)... he truly feels completely responsible for waking them up and the subseqent damage they've caused... i think it's obvious he feels guilty because he doesn't like to have to tell people about the wraith.... remember it's almost always mckay telling him that they should tell the truth about the wraith....

beyond the wraith, i really think he tries to take everyone's sadness and guilt and place it on himself because he doesn't like to see others upset... and all this piling on top of his own feelings really IS heading him for an emotional breakdown...

i agree that i REALLY don't see mckay breaking down... maybe freaking out a bit more than usual, but remember in redemption he just goes right up to sam and tells her about his troubled childhood even though it really isn't necessary to get his point across... and besides, freaking out's not the kind of breakdown i mean... i can see shep as one of those guys who takes more and more and more and even though no one else is willing to see it, he uses more and more strength to keep up a happy facade and less but also more strength to hold up all the bad stuff he feels responsible for and all the terrible stuff that's happened, but eventually it's going to eat away at him and he's not going to have any strength left, and when no one's watching he'd either breakdown screaming or crying (could be either one, could be both)... it would be nice to see someone find him unintentionally (or intentionally) and he wouldn't even bother puttingn up that friendly cover and even though he doesn't want them to be there, they comfort him... be it anyone...

Comment

i can see shep as one of those guys who takes more and more and more and even though no one else is willing to see it, he uses more and more strength to keep up a happy facade and less but also more strength to hold up all the bad stuff he feels responsible for and all the terrible stuff that's happened, but eventually it's going to eat away at him and he's not going to have any strength left, and when no one's watching he'd either breakdown screaming or crying (could be either one, could be both)... it would be nice to see someone find him unintentionally (or intentionally) and he wouldn't even bother puttingn up that friendly cover and even though he doesn't want them to be there, they comfort him... be it anyone...

Can't see Shep cry - nope, can't picture it. he's too strong. His breakdown would involve throwing stuff, yelling, hitting the wall. And THAT's how someone would find out. He's hit a wall and break his hand, then would have to explain it. Of course, by then he'd be deflated and would talk it out with whoever happened to witness the lashing out. *cough* Rodney.
                          sigpic

Comment

yeah... i would see anger too, but it would DEFINATELY be one of those two.... not just freaking out like mckay.... i think it'd be anger first... maybe some ALMOST tears second (just on the verge, but i think he could stop himself from getting quite that far... or maybe one tear before he can stop himself and realizes what's happening)... that's what i see... either way it'd be powerful (i'm sure thanks to JF's wonderful acting!) and i would HOPE that someone comes in to comfort him!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joescookiem
                              I agree with you Merlin.

I really would like to know why Shep was all by himself when he was deciding whether to go on the expedition in Rising. Shep's bio states that his father is a respected Cold War general. Is his father so distant that Shep can't bring up that he is going away, possibly forever? When Shep was disciplined for disobeying orders in Afghanistan, did his father maybe not want to talk to him because of what he did? What was his father like when Shep was growing up? If he was a real disciplinarian, maybe that is why Shep distrusts authority.

I think maybe because of his childhood, that's why Shep doesn't share things. [Random thought: wonder if Shep's mother is still alive?]
                              I wonder those things too. All the more so after LETTERS! ::Huggles poor woobie Shep::

Comment

Originally posted by Salty
                                Can't see Shep cry - nope, can't picture it. he's too strong. His breakdown would involve throwing stuff, yelling, hitting the wall. And THAT's how someone would find out. He's hit a wall and break his hand, then would have to explain it. Of course, by then he'd be deflated and would talk it out with whoever happened to witness the lashing out. *cough* Rodney.

I totally think He would throw and yell and hit and punch and exhaust himself. BUt I actually can picture him crying .Not heaving sobs, but silent tears running down his face. He's a very passionate and intense man. And I actually the tears coming over something unexpected. Like a child's death he had no involvement in or any control over. It would be a little thing that would break him. And Joe would pull off the moment beautifully, making ME cry! LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X