John Sheppard Whump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linzi
    I know. What surprises me here at GW, is the lack of a willingness to try to see things from an opposing or different perspective. One can agree to disagree, but surely one needs to look at an opposing view and not to dismiss it with a 'I'm right. I know I'm right' attitude. For example, I well understand why someone may not like whump. They might find it offensive or cruel or just too painful to watch. I don't, and I wouldn't agree with someone who said those things. But, I'd understand and say each to his her own. I see it as character building and emotionally satisfying and as a bit of fun. I'd never say 'I'm right, whump is this or that, and I know it is, because I say so'. Why can't people just say 'In my opinion' instead of stating things as fact?
    It really surprises me sometimes, but I suppose it is a true reflection of the world we live in!
    I was wondering. We obviously all like Shep whump here, but does anyone like other SGA characters getting whumped too, or is it just confined to Sheppard? Mx, we know you're a multi, equal opportunities whumper!
    That's what really bugs me - in my posts on the discussion threads I happily acknowledge when I think someone has made a valid point, even if I disagree with their overall opinion etc. But the vast majority of people on there are just totally closed-minded and their attitude is "I'm right and you're wrong and that's all there is to it" and trying to discuss it with them is like banging your head against a wall as they will not even accept that your point of view has any validity.

Anyhooooooo..

On the whump question - I like whump in general and I have had a whumpy addiction for just about any fandom I have been interested in... but it's usually pretty much exclusive to my one, main, favourite character (i.e. the one I fancy!), though I can enjoy whumpage of other characters too. In SGA I'm about 95% for the Shep whumpage (because there are no other characters I fancy as much as Shep! ) but I can also enjoy other whumpage (I woulnd't mind seeing a bit of Ronon whumpage and I admit I did rather like the McKay whumpage in Duet! )
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps
      That's what really bugs me - in my posts on the discussion threads I happily acknowledge when I think someone has made a valid point, even if I disagree with their overall opinion etc. But the vast majority of people on there are just totally closed-minded and their attitude is "I'm right and you're wrong and that's all there is to it" and trying to discuss it with them is like banging your head against a wall as they will not even accept that your point of view has any validity.

Anyhooooooo..

On the whump question - I like whump in general and I have had a whumpy addiction for just about any fandom I have been interested in... but it's usually pretty much exclusive to my one, main, favourite character (i.e. the one I fancy!), though I can enjoy whumpage of other characters too. In SGA I'm about 95% for the Shep whumpage (because there are no other characters I fancy as much as Shep! ) but I can also enjoy other whumpage (I woulnd't mind seeing a bit of Ronon whumpage and I admit I did rather like the McKay whumpage in Duet! )
      Interesting. How would you feel about about Teyla or Weir whump? I'm a bit of a sexist when it comes to whump on SGA. I like the boys being whumped but have no particular interest in seeing the female characters whumped, because I'm not physically attracted to them, I think. I'm not physically attracted to McKay or Beckett, though I think they're both cute, but I'm quite open to them being whumped. For me, though it's Shep being whumped that is my raison d'etre. I don't know if it's because he's so physically attractive, because Joe acts out the whump so well, or because I like to see Sheppard in tense, potentially character developing and vulnerable situations. Maybe it's all of them.
      Ok. I'm getting too deep here, aren't I? But Shep whump is more than watching the pretty get banged up for me. I really need to lighten up!
      sigpic

Comment

Good question Linzi! I like whumpage! I like McKay whumpage. I like Ronon whumpage! Not so keen on the girls getting whumped, but not because they are the 'weaker' sex, just because I think it's sexy on the guys. I really like the hero to be whumped though. Maybe it's just tall poppy syndrome? Umm, not sure. I don't think so though. I especially love the angsty emotional whump though. Basically, I just like 'em strong, brave, heroic, bleeding and with enough emotional damage to see them in therapy for the rest of their natural lives.

LSC: You're sadistic!
        Lauriel: No, I'm not! They're just so cute that way. I just want to comfort them and nurse them better.
        LSC: Umm.. I cut my finger. Look..
        sigpic
        My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Originally posted by Lauriel
          Good question Linzi! I like whumpage! I like McKay whumpage. I like Ronon whumpage! Not so keen on the girls getting whumped, but not because they are the 'weaker' sex, just because I think it's sexy on the guys. I really like the hero to be whumped though. Maybe it's just tall poppy syndrome? Umm, not sure. I don't think so though. I especially love the angsty emotional whump though. Basically, I just like 'em strong, brave, heroic, bleeding and with enough emotional damage to see them in therapy for the rest of their natural lives.

Lauriel: No, I'm not! They're just so cute that way. I just want to comfort them and nurse them better.
          Interesting. I think I feel the same way. I don't see the women as fragile or anything. Just not sexually attractive when they're whumped.
          See? Now I'm following you around the forum !!!!!
          sigpic

Comment

Interesting. How would you feel about about Teyla or Weir whump? I'm a bit of a sexist when it comes to whump on SGA. I like the boys being whumped but have no particular interest in seeing the female characters whumped, because I'm not physically attracted to them, I think. I'm not physically attracted to McKay or Beckett, though I think they're both cute, but I'm quite open to them being whumped. For me, though it's Shep being whumped that is my raison d'etre. I don't know if it's because he's so physically attractive, because Joe acts out the whump so well, or because I like to see Sheppard in tense, potentially character developing and vulnerable situations. Maybe it's all of them.
            Ok. I'm getting too deep here, aren't I? But Shep whump is more than watching the pretty get banged up for me. I really need to lighten up!
            Oh to me whump is definitely heavily related to physical attraction - it is always the character I find attractive that I enjoy seeing whumped. Therefore I am really not fussed about Weir or Teyla whumpage.. unless of course it's combined with Shep whumpage or causes Shep emotional angst (I have high hopes for The Real World on this front! ). I admit to a wee bit of attraction to McKay - though in a totally different way to my attraction to Shep - which is why I quite enjoy McKay whumpage too. Carson is cute but am not really attracted to him so not so fussed about Carson whumpage. Though having said that, I did kinda like it in Misbegotten. I guess my whumpy little heart flutters a bit at any whumpage but it's only for the characters I am really attracted to that I really really enjoy and get into - and wish for more of! - the whumpage.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lauriel
              Luffs you!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps
                Oh to me whump is definitely heavily related to physical attraction - it is always the character I find attractive that I enjoy seeing whumped. Therefore I am really not fussed about Weir or Teyla whumpage.. unless of course it's combined with Shep whumpage or causes Shep emotional angst (I have high hopes for The Real World on this front! ). I admit to a wee bit of attraction to McKay - though in a totally different way to my attraction to Shep - which is why I quite enjoy McKay whumpage too. Carson is cute but am not really attracted to him so not so fussed about Carson whumpage. Though having said that, I did kinda like it in Misbegotten. I guess my whumpy little heart flutters a bit at any whumpage but it's only for the characters I am really attracted to that I really really enjoy and get into - and wish for more of! - the whumpage.
                I personally was a little disappointed in the Carson whumpage. Spoilers for Misbegotten
                Spoiler:
                Why didn't they just go a little bit further? IT was a bit wishy washy, IMO.
                And, why wasn't it Sheppy?
                sigpic

Comment

I have to say I have no interest in whumping anyone other than Shep or, for that matter, reading about anyone else getting whumped. When my fave authors whump McKay or whoever, I read it caues I know it's a Shep Whump story for the most part. Or if McKay is whumped to give Shep emotional angst/whumpage, I read it knowing it's part of the story set up. But I have no emotional investment in it.

The whumpee has to be of teh pretteh. And male. Whumping a female other than for the purpose of setting up Shep angst makes me back out of a story fast. Ronon whumpage is nice, but I'll always look for Shep to get his licks of whumpage in there.

It's like Jack on 24. I don't find Kiefer attractive so it's just part of the story line when he's whumped. I'm not invested in it, when I watch the show on occasion. I have more of a tendency to go, "Wish they would whump Shep like that" Or watch Rodney get whumped on the show and go ,HEY! I want that for Shep dagnabit!

Comment

I personally was a little disappointed in the Carson whumpage. Spoilers for Misbegotten
                    Spoiler:
                    Why didn't they just go a little bit further? IT was a bit wishy washy, IMO.
                    And, why wasn't it Sheppy?

And that sums up how I feel in a nutshell. WHY WASN'T IT SHEPPY? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
                      And that sums up how I feel in a nutshell. WHY WASN'T IT SHEPPY? LOL
                      Well, I suppose it can't always be Sheppy, though if I was writing the show it would be.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well, I suppose it can't always be Sheppy, though if I was writing the show it would be.

Sure it can be. There's no law/rule says it can't. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
                          Sure it can be. There's no law/rule says it can't. LOL
                          Well, he'd be permanently in the infirmary and not out fighting and being military commander, I suppose. Though they could write loads of small whumpy bits, where Shep wasn't beaten to within an inch of his life
                          sigpic

Comment

I know. What surprises me here at GW, is the lack of a willingness to try to see things from an opposing or different perspective. One can agree to disagree, but surely one needs to look at an opposing view and not to dismiss it with a 'I'm right. I know I'm right' attitude. For example, I well understand why someone may not like whump. They might find it offensive or cruel or just too painful to watch. I don't, and I wouldn't agree with someone who said those things. But, I'd understand and say each to his her own. I see it as character building and emotionally satisfying and as a bit of fun. I'd never say 'I'm right, whump is this or that, and I know it is, because I say so'. Why can't people just say 'In my opinion' instead of stating things as fact?
                            It really surprises me sometimes, but I suppose it is a true reflection of the world we live in!
                            I was wondering. We obviously all like Shep whump here, but does anyone like other SGA characters getting whumped too, or is it just confined to Sheppard? Mx, we know you're a multi, equal opportunities whumper!

Rats...this happens to me so often I write a post and then by accident hit a key on the keyboard and it all vanishes!!!!! Is it just me???

Anyway I had written a whole lot about Shep whump and why I like it but it has all gone!!!!!

So in brief...only Shep for me!

He is the only character that I like enough to get the full enjoyment of whump......meaning the overwhelming urge to care for that person.

I normally have to thunk for the person to enjoy the whump but not always and sometimes the thunk bit comes as the result of a whump if it is acted well enough .

That is not to say I dislike whumping of the other male characters I just dont get the same level of enjoyment (but with the right type of whump I could be turned!!)

Sateda
                            Spoiler:
                            could turn me into a Ronon whumper however I doubt it just because of his character and the way he is likely to react to the whump (but I will let you know if it happens ).
                            The fact that Shep acts so brave but underneath (thanks to Joe's wonderful acting) you can see that he is scared and vulnerable too makes him the perfect whump for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SLC
                              Rats...this happens to me so often I write a post and then by accident hit a key on the keyboard and it all vanishes!!!!! Is it just me???

Anyway I had written a whole lot about Shep whump and why I like it but it has all gone!!!!!
                              You crack me up! I don't hit the wrong button, my internet drops out. Very frustrating.

Originally posted by SLC
                              I normally have to thunk for the person to enjoy the whump but not always and sometimes the thunk bit comes as the result of a whump if it is acted well enough .
                              From Dr. Suess to your mouth!

To whump or to thunk, that is the question.
                              sigpic
                              My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Originally posted by SLC

So in brief...only Shep for me!

He is the only character that I like enough to get the full enjoyment of whump......meaning the overwhelming urge to care for that person.

That is not to say I dislike whumping of the other male characters I just dont get the same level of enjoyment (but with the right type of whump I could be turned!!)

Sateda
                                Spoiler:
                                could turn me into a Ronon whumper however I doubt it just because of his character and the way he is likely to react to the whump (but I will let you know if it happens ).
                                The fact that Shep acts so brave but underneath (thanks to Joe's wonderful acting) you can see that he is scared and vulnerable too makes him the perfect whump for me.
                                That's happened to me loads of times, and I never have the strength to type everything in again! It's really annoying.
                                Shep is my favourite whumpee by a long, long way. I'm not particularly interested in seeing anybody else whumped, though I'm okay about it if it happens. Though possibly a little jealous it's not Shep being whumped, lol!
                                For me, I don't particularly find Ronon to be physically my type, so, spoilers for Sateda
                                Spoiler:
                                I'll probably be sitting through Sateda going, 'Nooooo, why can't that happen to Sheppard!' So I'll most likely be jealous that my favourite character didn't get that sort of treatment. I'll be happy for Ronon whumpers though. I don't think seeing Ronon whumped will make me feel squishy like when sheppard gets whumped. It will be interesting to see!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X