Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wise words

Comment

My last words on the matter Ali. I am delighted to have you as a beta because I know you will always be honest and if something needs correcting or changing you'll tell me. I personally find that very reassuring.

Now think positive...
      Spoiler:
      Kolya's back! Kolya's back! Kolya's back!

Comment

Oh I am glad they have brought Kolya back!! He's one mean SOB! As Rodney would probably say:

(Kolya + weapon) x Shep = whump heaven!!!

Mx
        sig by SheppyD
        Whumpydoodlesquee and Frenxies a Speciality

I'm not crazy - I just have another consciousness in my brain
        So he just looks crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Josie
          My last words on the matter Ali. I am delighted to have you as a beta because I know you will always be honest and if something needs correcting or changing you'll tell me. I personally find that very reassuring.

Now think positive...
          Spoiler:
          Kolya's back! Kolya's back! Kolya's back!

Oh yes I have just watched the clip again!!! I am sure I will watch many more times before the day is over!!!!

Comment

Wow, this thread has been kinda busy lately...

Just wanted to comment on 2 things: Of course, I love "You're story is so great"-types of reviews, but I remember that the first criticism I got convinced me to let somebody beta my stories.. And look what happened: I have been much happier with the chapters and don't feel like 'you can't be talking about my story' when I get positive reviews anymore. It actually helps if someone points out your weaknesses cause you don't always see them yourself.
            When it's constructive criticism, it's a win-win situation...

OMG, the promo vid has me excited about 'Common Ground'

Spoiler:
            The thing on his legs look like barbed wire to me...
            Imagine that: makes my whumpers heart beat faster.. Hum, the longer I think about it, the more even I think barbed wire would be too horrible...
            *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Comment

Originally posted by caty
              Wow, this thread has been kinda busy lately...

OMG, the promo vid has me excited about 'Common Ground'

Spoiler:
              The thing on his legs look like barbed wire to me...
              Imagine that: makes my whumpers heart beat faster.. Hum, the longer I think about it, the more even I think barbed wire would be too horrible...
              Hi Caty

It is so exciting isn't it!! How are we all going to be able to survive until it is shown!!! Lets hope that there is some whump in the first six eps as well!!

Comment

I have just watched the promo vid - can't wait for this episode. I wish it was episode three.

I hope Koyla is a bit more menacing then he was in the Brotherhood so maybe we can get a bit of Sheppard whump.!!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps
                  if the story is badly written and confusing then it's not "fun" for the reader, is it?
                  I can think of a couple dozen times I wish I'd said that very same thing. I'm not famous for being tactful, but I try my best be helpful and to put some praise in along with any criticism. Putting in the effort makes it that much more annoying when somebody bites your head off for telling them it's "they're" not "their".

Comment

Oh it's very quiet tonight!! Think you have all gone for a lie down after all the promo excitement! Still I shall be off at 11pm to see the next ep of LOST (nice bit of Sawyer whump - set the dvd!!!) so if no-one is around I may log out until tomorrow!

Sending out the whump lurve!!!!

Mx
                    sig by SheppyD
                    Whumpydoodlesquee and Frenxies a Speciality

I'm not crazy - I just have another consciousness in my brain
                    So he just looks crazy

Comment

Originally posted by McKayRocks!
                      Oh it's very quiet tonight!! Think you have all gone for a lie down after all the promo excitement! Still I shall be off at 11pm to see the next ep of LOST (nice bit of Sawyer whump - set the dvd!!!) so if no-one is around I may log out until tomorrow!

Sending out the whump lurve!!!!

Mx
                      I am here but feeling the same way as it is so quiet- I may log out too and go and watch an ep!! I am going to save Lost for tomorrow!!

Comment

Well, I'm off now but I leave you with the next chapter of my fic. It can be found here

Goodnight all.

Comment

Originally posted by Josie
                          Well, I'm off now but I leave you with the next chapter of my fic. It can be found here

Goodnight all.
                          Oh you little star!!!!!

Off to have a read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Where's the promo vid??? *happy sigh* it sounds lovely!

As to the comments on fic -- you've got to be able to take the good with the bad and never get upset if someone points out valid grammar and spelling mistakes. The only thing that upsets me is nine times out of ten it's not a lack of knowledge on my part, but carelessness from typing too fast and even having betas, these things can get missed. No one is infallible and dang if our eyes don't skip over mistakes because our brain tends to be self correcting.

But, I honestly think that ff.net is geared towards 'gush for me'. It's the nature of the beast. If you want to grow as a writer, I think the best thing you can do is find someone to apprenticeship under basically. Have a beta that can go through and not only edit the mistakes but tell you *why* they are mistakes. It's fine for someone on ff.net to say 'hey, you spelled this wrong' or 'hey, that should be you're not your', but to get into details about story structure, comma splices, lack of exposition or too much, or cliche', ooc moments, etc -- you need someone that is capable to help you through that.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hurrah! The forums are working again!

I have made good use of the drought to finish up the prologue chappy to a new whumpy fic I had started. Hope you like it: A Bad Feeling

Next to be updated/completed will be the leg wound fic - can't guarantee when tho as I'm likely to be a bit busy over the next two days, what with House and X3!

Righto. Am off to watch that promo just one last time before bed...
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IWantToBelieve
                                Where's the promo vid??? *happy sigh* it sounds lovely!

As to the comments on fic -- you've got to be able to take the good with the bad and never get upset if someone points out valid grammar and spelling mistakes. The only thing that upsets me is nine times out of ten it's not a lack of knowledge on my part, but carelessness from typing too fast and even having betas, these things can get missed. No one is infallible and dang if our eyes don't skip over mistakes because our brain tends to be self correcting.

But, I honestly think that ff.net is geared towards 'gush for me'. It's the nature of the beast. If you want to grow as a writer, I think the best thing you can do is find someone to apprenticeship under basically. Have a beta that can go through and not only edit the mistakes but tell you *why* they are mistakes. It's fine for someone on ff.net to say 'hey, you spelled this wrong' or 'hey, that should be you're not your', but to get into details about story structure, comma splices, lack of exposition or too much, or cliche', ooc moments, etc -- you need someone that is capable to help you through that.
                                I think a lot of the time when you read your own work, you read what you think should be there, rather than what actually is, which is definitely the top reason for having a beta, though even the best beta will miss spelling and grammar mistakes.

FF.net has been like that for years...the only reason I published there at first was from not knowing any better, now it's just because I know there are a few people on there who follow my fics and they wouldn't know where else to find me. I hate it as a site - it's slow, unreliable and everything about it is difficult, including a significant amount of the authors who seem very 'precious' about their works.

I much prefer LJ as a forum for publishing, though I've noticed on the whole, people seem very afraid in this fandom of giving concrit, mainly because in general, SGA as a fandom is very volatile and things kick off from the slightest little incident.

To be honest, I try not to be too much of a grammar nazi with fic. If something is especially bad from a grammar and spelling perspective, I just stop reading rather than comment. I think sometimes people to fail to recognise that not everyone who writes in this fandom uses English as their first language. Sometimes you have to turn off from it a little for the sake of reading something good. I've read some fics in the past where the poor grammar has more than been made up for by a stonking story idea.

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                                "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Working...
                                X