Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Sheppard Whump

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Well, it seems unanimous that everyone thinks Shep is hotter when he's getting whumped. I was just curious as to why.

    I can only assume that most (if not all) us whumpers are women. Do you guys think it could have something to do with... *cough* the act of procreation? *cough* I just honestly want to know if all us whumpers really become more attracted to the someone who gets whumped, or if it's something else.

    I was thinking though that maybe because Shep is the hero type, and of course hero types are usually portrayed as unemotional and expressionless, maybe it's the sudden expression of emotion during whumping scenes. I know I'm attractive to sensitive men, can anyone disagree?

    lol, if I'm making people uncomfortable here, though, I can stop asking stupid questions. Heh.
    Last edited by Jersey13; 31 August 2006, 12:59 PM.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Jersey13
      Have you guys ever wondered why a desire to see more whumping is so common among us? What I mean is, what's the psychology behind it, I wonder? Are we evil for wanting to see Shep and/or McKay get whumped?

      P.S. I know gravelgirdie is plain evil, but I'm just curious. hehe. (j/k, gerdie)


      mwahahhahaa ((rubs hands together)) my evil plan is revealed...

      By Kidwizz


      By JessM

      Comment


        Comment


          Originally posted by Jersey13
          Well, it seems unanimous that everyone thinks Shep is hotter when he's getting whumped. I was just curious as to why.

          I can only assume that most (if not all) us whumpers are women. Do you guys think it could have something to do with... *cough* the act of procreation? *cough* I just honestly want to know if all us whumpers really become more attracted to the someone who gets whumped, or if it's something else.

          lol, if I'm making people uncomfortable here, though, I can stop asking stupid questions. Heh.
          For me, that'd be a resounding 'NO' LOL! Okay, Sheppard is attractive no matter what...that's Joe's fault *grin*, the man is flat out oozing charsima, charm, appeal, and when he's whumped he does something that makes it very *oooohhhh*...I think for me, it's that when he's whumped, he expresses a vulnerability that he doesn't show when he's not whumped. I like his non-whump self a lot, love how he and Rodney do the 'little boys' thing with their playing and bickering. Favorite goofing scene ever is the shot when Sheppard tosses McKay over the balcony and then they *brag* about it and how he shot McKay. Very adorable!

          But the whumped Shep makes me want to protect the guy! Yikes, I feel bad when he's whumped but I love the dynamics of caring that it draws.
          sigpic

          Comment


            So are you saying it's sort of a maternal instinct kind of thing for you? Do you think of him in that sense like a son, or as someone who'd make a good dad maybe? I guess I can relate him to the 'dad' role there, after all he is the leader of the team and being willing to suffer pain for the sake of your team is a good virtue.

            Comment


              Why Whumping?

              Well as people have pointed out it's probably better described by the term "hurt/comfort" and if you read most whump fic it's also friendship fic.

              Whump is about putting your favorite character through an ordeal but bringing them through it and making them a stronger person because of it...and also in terms of the show a good whump story (see 38 mins and CG) means your favorite character gets to take centre stage.

              There is also the more shallow reasons...Whump makes the character vunerable and whether we want to admit it or not the average woman is a sucker for a man who shows vunerability, both emotional and physical. So when Shep is all beat up or gets all emotional on us we just want to hug him and make it all better.

              Comment


                For me whump is totally about caring. The more he gets hurt the more vulnerable he is and the more I have the urge to rush to him and protect and comfort him. Obviously that is not possible so I have to hope that the rest of the team do my job for me

                Comment


                  theres also something sexy about how he handles that treatment/whump ...by being angry, violent himslef.........you get to see, i feel, the real shep...what hes capable of.......

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Jersey13
                    So are you saying it's sort of a maternal instinct kind of thing for you? Do you think of him in that sense like a son, or as someone who'd make a good dad maybe? I guess I can relate him to the 'dad' role there, after all he is the leader of the team and being willing to suffer pain for the sake of your team is a good virtue.
                    Hmmm. With me it is definitely not a maternal instinct thing. The *last* think I want to be is JF or JS's mother!

                    I seem to remember back to my Psychology 101 days reading that mating instincts were a "survival of the fittest" thing. The reason we're attracted to strong guys goes back to prehistoric days -- the big strong guy was the one most likely to survive. Most likely to be able to protect us and our young.

                    Now, feminist types, don't get all up in arms! I'm not saying we're not capable of protecting ourselves these days. But there just might be something in Whump and H/C fic - we see our hero getting hurt and whumped. But we also see how strong he is. We see him take all that and *survive* (plus there's the benefits of the C part along the way ). Therefore he is the one who will protect his mate and his young from all comers.

                    Okay - feel free to throw rotten fruit now if you want.

                    WannaBe


                    Thanks to blingaway for the shiny new siggie!

                    Comment


                      No, I don't really box him into 'dad' or 'son' or anything like that...hero, friend, those are more of what I see. I'm not looking towards Sheppard as anything outside of the actual show, know what I mean? I can see how you'd get that from my comments, but it's not what I was going for, if that makes sense.

                      I like the friendship they express with each other. McKay and Sheppard a lot but just in general, the characters. I like the caring they show, and that's where the H/C comes in. I like that they to show their boyish side, but I also love when Sheppard does his 'bad soldier self' on the episodes. I love it when Sheppard gives us insight into the vulnerable side of himself, that's where the caring rests with them.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                        You guys have a lot of really good points. I'm just sitting here scratching my head and trying to think about whether or not I really understand myself enough to say why I like to read and write whump and H/C fics.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by IWantToBelieve
                          For me, that'd be a resounding 'NO' LOL! Okay, Sheppard is attractive no matter what...that's Joe's fault *grin*, the man is flat out oozing charsima, charm, appeal, and when he's whumped he does something that makes it very *oooohhhh*...I think for me, it's that when he's whumped, he expresses a vulnerability that he doesn't show when he's not whumped. I like his non-whump self a lot, love how he and Rodney do the 'little boys' thing with their playing and bickering. Favorite goofing scene ever is the shot when Sheppard tosses McKay over the balcony and then they *brag* about it and how he shot McKay. Very adorable!

                          But the whumped Shep makes me want to protect the guy! Yikes, I feel bad when he's whumped but I love the dynamics of caring that it draws.
                          You said it for me!!!
                          Evening all! Have I missed anything?
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by WannaBeAWhumper
                            Hmmm. With me it is definitely not a maternal instinct thing. The *last* think I want to be is JF or JS's mother!

                            I seem to remember back to my Psychology 101 days reading that mating instincts were a "survival of the fittest" thing. The reason we're attracted to strong guys goes back to prehistoric days -- the big strong guy was the one most likely to survive. Most likely to be able to protect us and our young.

                            Now, feminist types, don't get all up in arms! I'm not saying we're not capable of protecting ourselves these days. But there just might be something in Whump and H/C fic - we see our hero getting hurt and whumped. But we also see how strong he is. We see him take all that and *survive* (plus there's the benefits of the C part along the way ). Therefore he is the one who will protect his mate and his young from all comers.

                            Okay - feel free to throw rotten fruit now if you want.

                            WannaBe
                            I think you definitely have a point! The reason we like to see someone like Shep whumped is connected to the fact that he's a strong character who doesn't normally show weakness. When whumped, we see a little bit of his vulnerability, but he still remains attractive and strong in most ways.
                            If it was simply the "vulnerable, sensitive guy"-scenario, then we'd all be squeeing about weak, whining men with low pain-thresholds While possibly more realistic, this kind of portrayal just doesn't awaken our womanly squee in the same way!

                            But remember, Shep: If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by IWantToBelieve
                              Favorite goofing scene ever is the shot when Sheppard tosses McKay over the balcony and then they *brag* about it and how he shot McKay. Very adorable!
                              Thats my favorite scene as well.. I like it when Shep and McKay play.. its cute

                              By Kidwizz


                              By JessM

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Josie
                                Why Whumping?

                                Well as people have pointed out it's probably better described by the term "hurt/comfort" and if you read most whump fic it's also friendship fic.

                                Whump is about putting your favorite character through an ordeal but bringing them through it and making them a stronger person because of it...and also in terms of the show a good whump story (see 38 mins and CG) means your favorite character gets to take centre stage.

                                There is also the more shallow reasons...Whump makes the character vunerable and whether we want to admit it or not the average woman is a sucker for a man who shows vunerability, both emotional and physical. So when Shep is all beat up or gets all emotional on us we just want to hug him and make it all better.
                                Yep. This is how I feel too.
                                I personally feel all flip floppy in the tummy when Shep gets whumped. I love seeing his strength of character when he's injured and in pain. He doesn't whine or moan, he becomes all stoic and brave...sigh. I also enjoy the action stuff and blood. I know... I need help. The comfort part is very important too. The team caring for Shep, helping him, fretting over him. Sigh...
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X