John Sheppard/Teyla Emmagan Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbinoMonkeyC View Post
    Oh yeah!!! Alcohol does wonders to the human heart. Not that I know of course...............
    Spoiler:
    I'm underage

Somebody drop that to JM!!!
    Oh dont worry he knows all about alcohol...
    Spoiler:
    he was drunk this past season thats why hes done all of this to us!!
    sig by Cazzblade

Comment

Originally posted by Snowball View Post
      Oh dont worry he knows all about alcohol...
      Spoiler:
      he was drunk this past season thats why hes done all of this to us!!
      *clapping* totaly!!!
      Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
      Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Originally posted by AlbinoMonkeyC View Post
        *clapping* totaly!!!
        Thank you thank you
        sig by Cazzblade

Comment

Originally posted by YappiChick View Post
          But, I do think Teyla's characters suffered because of their decision. A secret love affair with some Athosian? How did that show trust to John (or anyone on Atlantis for that matter)? She is willing to live with them, but not to reveal her "true" self to them? Ronon somehow knew (same with Repli!Weir) about her attraction to Kanaan, but not John?
          I think it was pretty much a lose,lose situation. Someone's character was bound to be hurt.

I think they did chicken out. Look at Search and Rescue...what was the point of the first scene? To have Kanaan move in during the second episode? Um, WTC?
          In a way, you can fanwank that one by saying that because John was hurt and unconscious, his subconscious had taken over and that was simply one of his deeper desires. It had nothing to do wth Teyla's feelings, but wholly with his own.

They could have worked around RL's pregnancy--I don't care if they hid her behind boxes or a desk. If they wanted to move JT forward, they could have...I doubt if JS was suddenly pregnant during the early shooting of season 5, that they would have shelved McKeller.
          I think the circumstances were slightly different, or at least different enough that the same rules can't be applied.

Rodney, while being socially maladjusted, doesn't have the same issues as John. John is, more or less, emotionally incapable or unwilling to connect. Rodney wants to, he just doesn't know how.

I won't go anymore into that than to just reiterate that I think the circumstances were different.

Obviously, there were writers who didn't like the idea of JT, so yeah, I think those who did support it were chicken to stand up to their peers if they felt passionately about it.
          I don't think there's any way to know for sure either way, but we can always sepculate.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
            I think it was pretty much a lose,lose situation. Someone's character was bound to be hurt.

In a way, you can fanwank that one by saying that because John was hurt and unconscious, his subconscious had taken over and that was simply one of his deeper desires. It had nothing to do wth Teyla's feelings, but wholly with his own.

I think the circumstances were slightly different, or at least different enough that the same rules can't be applied.

Rodney, while being socially maladjusted, doesn't have the same issues as John. John is, more or less, emotionally incapable or unwilling to connect. Rodney wants to, he just doesn't know how.

I won't go anymore into that than to just reiterate that I think the circumstances were different.

I don't think there's any way to know for sure either way, but we can always sepculate.
            Alright, I'll start with the last point and work up, LOL. JM wrote "Paul, again, was the first (and most vociferous) to balk at the prospect of making Sheppard the baby daddy." And I remember reading that he was the one who pitched the idea to have Shep as the daddy. Obviously, there was a "discussion" and those that were anti-JT (at that time) won out and therefore the relationship stalled.

I'm not saying they should have included RL's pregnancy. I think if they wanted to move things forward (i.e. JT is the "primary" ship), they should have taken steps to insure that it would be protected. Now we have very few JT scenes...I mean, honestly, Shep seems more at ease with Rodney than anyone else...too bad the show is ending because I would have loved to see the balancing act between McKeller and Rodney's friendship with John.

Eh...I'm looking at it from a "why would the writers who are so opposed to John being the daddy continue hinting at things?" Is it to feed crumbs to the Shelya folk? I didn't get it. Maybe they just like looking at all the shippy sigs people make from the caps, LOL.

I think if they would have developed Kanaan, maybe a backstory as to why she didn't say anything, it would have been a easier (but bitter) pill for the Shelya folk to swallow.

Either way, I appreciate you posting the quote in here--it certainly livened up the conversation in here.
            sigpic
            Humor is the great thing, the saving thing after all. The minute it crops up, all our hardnesses yield, all our irritations, and resentments flit away, and a sunny spirit takes their place. --Mark Twain

Comment

Alright, I'll start with the last point and work up, LOL. JM wrote "Paul, again, was the first (and most vociferous) to balk at the prospect of making Sheppard the baby daddy." And I remember reading that he was the one who pitched the idea to have Shep as the daddy. Obviously, there was a "discussion" and those that were anti-JT (at that time) won out and therefore the relationship stalled.
              I'd be surprised if they all agreed on everything all of the time.

I'm not saying they should have included RL's pregnancy. I think if they wanted to move things forward (i.e. JT is the "primary" ship), they should have taken steps to insure that it would be protected. Now we have very few JT scenes...I mean, honestly, Shep seems more at ease with Rodney than anyone else...too bad the show is ending because I would have loved to see the balancing act between McKeller and Rodney's friendship with John.
              Another example of TPTB being unable to write well-written romance, perhaps? I've never claimed they were good at this.

Eh...I'm looking at it from a "why would the writers who are so opposed to John being the daddy continue hinting at things?" Is it to feed crumbs to the Shelya folk? I didn't get it. Maybe they just like looking at all the shippy sigs people make from the caps, LOL.
              I saw it as more in keeping with John's character. It had nothing to do with hinting or teasing a particular part of fandom, and a lot to do with what John Sheppard as a character would have dreamt about in that moment.

I think if they would have developed Kanaan, maybe a backstory as to why she didn't say anything, it would have been a easier (but bitter) pill for the Shelya folk to swallow.
              For whatever reason, and we can go on about the reason ad nauseum, TPTB decided to drop the ball on John and Tey;a and focus (however poorly) on the McKeller ship. Do I think this was a wise decision? No. I much preferred the modicum of subtlety they'd maintained when writing in moments between Johna and Teyla. But alas, it is what it is.

Either way, I appreciate you posting the quote in here--it certainly livened up the conversation in here.
              Just doing my part.
              sigpic

Comment

From Joe M's blog...

I thought you guys might want to read this...

Thoughts?
                That part of his comment i understand and to a degree although poorly done understand why the choice was made not to make john the father of Teyla's baby. What pisses me off is his later comment of having Teyla stay with Kanaan. If he himself says that the only two people he could see john with is either Teyla or Nancy, they made the choice of having Teyla stay with Kanaan. So stupid!. They had pleanty of time to get rid of Kanaan once the pregnancy storyline was settled but nope, they decided to keep Teyla seeing Kanaan. Very stupid.
                sigpic

Sig by Camy

Comment

I'll agree with you on the John front...he's still dealing with issues, as shown in Reminants.

But, I do think Teyla's characters suffered because of their decision. A secret love affair with some Athosian? How did that show trust to John (or anyone on Atlantis for that matter)? She is willing to live with them, but not to reveal her "true" self to them? Ronon somehow knew (same with Repli!Weir) about her attraction to Kanaan, but not John?

I think they did chicken out. Look at Search and Rescue...what was the point of the first scene? To have Kanaan move in during the second episode? Um, WTC?

They could have worked around RL's pregnancy--I don't care if they hid her behind boxes or a desk. If they wanted to move JT forward, they could have...I doubt if JS was suddenly pregnant during the early shooting of season 5, that they would have shelved McKeller.

Obviously, there were writers who didn't like the idea of JT, so yeah, I think those who did support it were chicken to stand up to their peers if they felt passionately about it.
                  I agreee Yappi.... they just didnt suppport it enough to go with it. The writers didnt want to do it, it's as simple as that... if they could come up with the fiasco of McKeller than they could have gone with JT if they wanted to .. but they are all so blinded by McKay and no one obviously feels passionatley about anyone else except his character. They were happy for McKay to be a father in season 4.. WTF.. do we really think Mckay is any more mature than Shep in the emotional department but that didnt seem to deter them...they desparately want him to have a family and a happy ever after.. WHY !! Are geeks the only characters that deserve happiness.... heros or soldiers never have familes or find love... sorry it's utter crap and its just their obsession with their fav characters that has caused them to lose interest in anyone else.

They have NO excuse for not allowing John to be the father.. how could this not have futhered his development or even effected the dynamic on the team... the writers have pretty much destroyed the dynamic of the team in season 5 by by John NOT being the father.... because now there is hardly any relationship between them at all.. they barely speak to one another and when they do it's all just professional aloofness... If the ptb had the guts to forward the JT relationship we could at least have had some sort of warmth and caring between the 2 of them... and John being a father could have brought a whole new demension to his character.

I never bought into the nonsense that John is some emotionally stunted 40 year old who cringes when a woman makes a move on him.. again this is the writers pay back for any good looking guy who got the upper hand or the girl back in their frat boy days.... but they seem intent of keeping John as the bumbling emotionally stunted eye candy character whose only purpose is being the hero, and nothing else...

But why start the JT relationship if they couldn't be bothered giving it any resolution.. there were dozens of opportunites to bring it back on track but they took the lazy and easy way out, but at the same time couldnt even be bothered to develop Kanaan... but where is their loyalty to the fans who suppported this relationship for 5 years... they obviously didnt care less about that... but justed wanted to do what made them happy... there was no following for McKeller.. no fans wanting McKay in any other relationship except with (Shep)..but MG wanted to fulfill in own fantasy about McKay.. screw what the fans want.. lets just do what we want at the end of the day and that happened to be all about McKay .. as usual....
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ruby_caspar View Post
                    Aw sorry to hear you're ill, Donna! Get well soon ((HUG))
                    AwwThanks Ruby
                    Originally posted by scifan View Post
                    Sorry to hear that hun. Get better soon. **HUGS**

*crossing fingers* that there is too.

Awww. Thanks hun.

Hee hee. I'm so glad you're in a glad mood.

Does that mean you like those kinds of fics then. Hee hee.

Hee hee. I was wondering about that.
                    Thanks Hun i feel terrible and Np about the Banners
                    Sig Bye Me and Avi bye Luciana

Comment

Lea, got your card! Thanks very much.

Re: Mallozzi's blog.. wasn't this on the commentary for Kindred? :s
                      don't worry, soon we won't have to say goodbye.

facebook | Celebrate Scotland |livejournal

Comment

In TPTB's defense, they didn't exactly get a lot of warning about RL's pregnancy. What it seems like JM is trying to say is that for all intents and purposes John and teyla were the "great love" of SGA. It sure seemed like it given how they were building them up from respectful colleagues to deep friends to what certainly seemed like a whole lot more given that John was getting a lot closer emotionally to Teyla than we'd even seen him with most other people. John had been built up as this emotional recluse and to suddenly make him Teyla's closet lover would have resulted in no development for his character at all and would have portrayed Teyla as a woman who, and I don't know how to say this because I don't mean easy or cheap, seemingly accepted the physicality of a relationship with John without the necessary emotional attachment.

And I say this because at the point where it became necessary for a baby daddy to be announced, John still had not reached the point where he had matured enough emotionally to completely give in to his feelings for Teyla; note the awkwardness and surprise he first shows when Teyla hugs him. He gives in to her, yes, but his first instinct is one of discomfort and unease.

TPTB were thrown a curveball with this pregnancy and I thin they handled it as best as they knew how. Which, admittedly, may not have been very well, but given TPTB past forays into romance I'm not surprised.

Was it a cop out, did TPTB chicken out of a John/Teyla relationship? I don't think so. I think they just didn't know how else to go with it in such a way that didn't make fools out of the characters.
                        *claps*

I'll agree with you on the John front...he's still dealing with issues, as shown in Reminants.

I don't think the issue is having John as the father, I definately think they made the right decision there. I think the issue is how poorly they've handled Kanaan. They knew RL was pregnant when filming Doppleganger so they could have slipped in a line somewhere hinting that she had started seeing someone (maybe mentioning how she was unsure of the relationship because she had feelings for someone else also), then when we found out she was pregnant it wouldn't have been such a 'whoa, she's been seeing an Athosian??' Then possibly she could have regretted the relationship or it turned out she'd already called it off. Or they could have not found Kanaan with Michael or killed him off after finding him with Michael. In other words I think there were many things they could have done with the pregnancy situation that would have meant John not being the father but also not hving Teyla shacked up with another man.

Also, there was some mention of PM not being a JT supporter, I'm sure I've heard before that he isn't against JT, he just didn't think two of the main characters should have a baby together, that was his objection, not the JT relationship.

Originally posted by gater101 View Post
                        Haven't listened to that one yet But I have definately heard this reasoning before.

Haven't heard the bit about Nancy before though.

What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
                          *claps*

Haven't listened to that one yet But I have definately heard this reasoning before.

Haven't heard the bit about Nancy before though.

What's the Nancy thing?

Comment

What's the Nancy thing?
                            Spoiler:
                            The original idea for Remnants was to have Nancy be the one assessing Woolsey's command and then maybe they would have followed up on that in later episodes. But seeing as they didn't get a 6th season I'm glad the didn't go ahead with it because I know I would have wanted some sort of follow up

Here's the quote from the blog:

As for Sheppard - I consider him an even bigger loner than Ronon, an incredibly tough nut to crack. If anyone was going to do it, I don’t think it would be someone who just walked into his life. Rather it would have to be someone he knew (and knew him well in turn), someone he had a history with. Teyla would have been a possibility but, alas, she has settled down with the babysitter of her child - Kanaan. And there is one other alternative, one that I’d originally envisioned exploring when I was first spinning the story that would eventually become Remnants: John’s ex-wife, Nancy. In a very early version of the story, Nancy, who we have established works for Homeworld Security, is appointed to review Woolsey’s probationary record. Finally privy to the secrets her ex-husband had to keep from her all those years, she is actually able to empathize and understand him a little better. Of course, with better understanding complications arise… No idea where it would have gone, but I imagined it playing out as part of an extended episode arc.

What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
                              Spoiler:
                              The original idea for Remnants was to have Nancy be the one assessing Woolsey's command and then maybe they would have followed up on that in later episodes. But seeing as they didn't get a 6th season I'm glad the didn't go ahead with it because I know I would have wanted some sort of follow up

Here's the quote from the blog:

Now THAT I would have paid to see

Comment

Lea, got your card! Thanks very much.

WOW!!! That was fast! And you're welcome hun.

Now THAT I would have paid to see
                                Troublemaker. Oh! And I love your gif with Cuddy and House.

I'm gonna wait to make any comments for now. It's really mentally draining and depressing. Well, at least for me.
                                I posted a question and I Really hope he answers it.

Comment

Working...
                                X