John Sheppard/Teyla Emmagan Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
    That's not canon, he was turned into a runner because of his strength, if they couldn't feed on him, they'd just kill him.
    I agree that they turned Ronon into a Runner because he was strong too. But, I just went back and looked at the episode. And, I think they way it worked was that if the Wraith couldn't feed on someone and the person was weak, they just killed them. If the person was strong and looked like they could present a formidable challenge (like Ronon), then they turned that person into a Runner.

In the episode Runner, Ronon is telling Shep and Teyla about what happened to him. Here's what the transcript of the episode says:

"DEX: I was captured during a culling on my planet. I was taken to a ship. A Wraith started to feed on me.

FLASHBACK. As the Wraith stands with its hand plunged into Dex's chest, its expression changes and it looks perturbed. It looks down to its hand.

DEX: Something made him stop.

FLASHBACK. Dex has been taken out of the cocooning and three Wraith are surrounding him. One plunges a syringe-like object into his shoulder. He is lain face-down on a table and a Wraith takes a knife and starts to cut into his back. Dex grimaces in agony.

DEX: They operated on me -- put some sort of tracking device in my back and released me."

And, in the episode, when the Wraith tries to feed on Ronon, nothing happens. Ronon doesn't age. I think the thing that "made him stop" was the fact that the Wraith couldn't feed on Ronon. That's just my take on it. But again, I agree with you on Ronon's strength saving him. If he weren't strong and military trained, he'd be dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis4Life View Post
      And, in the episode, when the Wraith tries to feed on Ronon, nothing happens. Ronon doesn't age. I think the thing that "made him stop" was the fact that the Wraith couldn't feed on Ronon. That's just my take on it. But again, I agree with you on Ronon's strength saving him. If he weren't strong and military trained, he'd be dead.
      I agree, that ep was cool and no the Wraith was unable to feed on Ronon, and not because of his strength, (I recall reading somewhere that Ronon had something in him the Wraith hated and couldn't take, so they turned him into a runner maybe to give thme a challenge) Ronons cool, but we know he's a John & Teyla shipper....

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
        I agree, that ep was cool and no the Wraith was unable to feed on Ronon, and not because of his strength, (I recall reading somewhere that Ronon had something in him the Wraith hated and couldn't take, so they turned him into a runner maybe to give thme a challenge) Ronons cool, but we know he's a John & Teyla shipper....
        Hence this smilie!

made by zuz.
        sigpic

Comment

I agree that they turned Ronon into a Runner because he was strong too. But, I just went back and looked at the episode. And, I think they way it worked was that if the Wraith couldn't feed on someone and the person was weak, they just killed them. If the person was strong and looked like they could present a formidable challenge (like Ronon), then they turned that person into a Runner.

In the episode Runner, Ronon is telling Shep and Teyla about what happened to him. Here's what the transcript of the episode says:

"DEX: I was captured during a culling on my planet. I was taken to a ship. A Wraith started to feed on me.

FLASHBACK. As the Wraith stands with its hand plunged into Dex's chest, its expression changes and it looks perturbed. It looks down to its hand.

DEX: Something made him stop.

FLASHBACK. Dex has been taken out of the cocooning and three Wraith are surrounding him. One plunges a syringe-like object into his shoulder. He is lain face-down on a table and a Wraith takes a knife and starts to cut into his back. Dex grimaces in agony.

DEX: They operated on me -- put some sort of tracking device in my back and released me."

From Joe Mallozzi's blog:
          Anonymous #2 writes: “ 2) Will it ever be explained why the Wraith cannot feed on Ronon?

Answers: 2) It’s not that the wraith wasn’t able to feed. It was surprised by his defiance and, thus, figured he would make a great runner.

Big J writes: "When Ronon was introduced to Stargate Atlantis, he remarked that he couldn't be fed upon. The new info (a teaser for the episode) says that Ronon is fed upon and given life over and over as torture. How can this be possible?"

Answer: Ronon never said he couldn't be fed upon. He told his story to Teyla and we witnessed a flashback in which the wraith was about to feed on Ronon then stopped, reconsidered, and made him a runner. We discussed this scene with the writer, Rob Cooper, two years ago and, in his mind, the wraith didn't stop because he was unable to feed. He stopped because he was so impressed with Ronon's defiance that he realized he would make for great sport - and thus made him a runner.
          What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Added two other fics that just came in for the Secret Elf Beya Exchange.

Final present for smcki10
            Category: Fic
            Title: Fools Like Me
            Recipient: smcki10
            Author:Rhi/ vipersweb
            Rating: PG
            Warnings: None
            Disclaimer: The characters, etc, of SGA don't belong to us. For fun, not profit.
            Size: 4480
            Here: http://community.livejournal.com/sga...45.html#cutid1

and the other....
            Final Gift For Mrs.B
            Recipient: Mrs. B
            Secret Elf: Smcki10
            Category: Fic
            Title: Regrets
            Author: smcki10
            Rating: G
            Warnings:None
            Disclaimer: The characters, etc, of SGA don't belong to us. For fun, not profit.
            Comments:
            Link Here: http://community.livejournal.com/sga...52.html#cutid1
            The first chapters are here:
            http://community.livejournal.com/sga_beya/180320.html Regrets Part 1
            http://community.livejournal.com/sga_beya/185989.html Regrets Part 2
            http://community.livejournal.com/sga_beya/190368.html Regrets Part 3

Enjoy!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
              but yet later on they tried to say she had been seeing Kanaan for ages, which would mean that Teyla was in fact crushing on John whilst already in a relationship with Kanaan.... sigh !!... just shows how much thought they actually put into the whole relationship ...
              Where was the confirmation that Teyla was seeing Kanaan back in Sunday? I don't recall that.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post

Think about it (for the runners) In Sateda, Rodney says he picked up on signals of 6?7? runners. That's 6 or 7 teams (because you know they'd love to both stop running and help kill wraith) with a super expert/survivalist on their team. They'd have such a better chance of survival.

And, I might be the only one, but I think that there was/is a certain paternal pride in John's smile when he's talkiing about TJ with Fran!Weir in Ghost in the Machine. I do think he takes a huge amout of interest.

And I hated Inquisition so much, I rewrote it. Or added some stuff in it anyways. I figure the 2 Pegasus natives might have something to say to the councils charges.
                Yep, Everlovin. Good points! That would have been great, meeting the other runners and hearing some of their stories. They probably might have encountered other civilizations that our SGA people might have wanted to know (or not know ). And, yes! That is something to think about - Teyla and Ronon were natives of Pegasus. Wouldn't they have wanted to say something? I'm not going to start. I've literally gone back and forth with others on this episode for days.

Oh, and John. Yes. I think he did feel like Torren is the son he never had.

Comment

Okay, I'll take a crack at this...

Season 6 Wish List:

1. I definitely think that the show needed a new turn. There were two things that for me really hurt the show. Back in Season 1 the premise that they couldn't get in touch with Earth was a big attraction. I hated the idea that now they can simply contact Earth at anytime. I want Atlantis to completely separate themselves from Earth. I wanted them alone, out there in the Pegasus.

2. With the above in mind, I would have liked Atlantis to be the new "headquarters" or Embassy of the Pegasus. Not only did I want different representatives from different nationalities in the city of Atlantis, but now I wanted that expanded to races among the Pegasus. Have others from different planets and races see Atlantis as a beacon, a fortress, a headquarters where all the action spans out from. The city of Atlantis should be a center core for only those that can be trusted if you may, or those that can represent the rest of the planets. Hey, they woke the Wraith, let them be responsible now for those that are now paying the consequences of their actions.

3. I liked Woosley, I really do but I've always wanted John to be more of the leader of the city, or better yet...have Teyla lead the city. That would be so AWESOME!!! and yes, mind you, she wouldn't be a part of his team anymore and I still think that she and John can have a relationship with her in charge. She owes nothing to Earth's military and I just think she represents and voices her leadership for all in the Pegasus. But, I like Woosley better than the other two leaders that passed through Atlantis. I could keep him.

4. I want to shake things up among the team. There's too much of happy go lucky between them and something had to shake them up. I wanted Ronon to turn dark. I want him to face his demons. He was softened too quickly and without anything that struck out. I know he is there for John and Teyla and even Rodney, but Ronon does have his boundaries. He wouldn't go against John or Teyla but he would certainly defend his cause and if that meant leaving Atlantis, he would do it. I really wanted to see that dark side to Ronon. That SATEDAN FLAME BABY!

5. John and Teyla.....what can I write that you guys haven't included yet. This is such a simple and yet no so simple situation. They are much in love with one another, they would risk their lives for one another but they can't for the life of me confess. Well, I think if push comes to shove, John would bend if he knew there was a bit of hope. I want him to have a one to one with Kanaan. I love Wedj's fic The Two Princes and that argument between Kanaan and John. I just commented this with someone....I can't see Kanaan not saying anything to John or even Teyla at some point. I mean, what would Kanaan have said if he had seen Teyla want to stay with John in First Contact like she did? Even when John mentioned Torren twice, she still hesitated to leave him. DAMN, that Kanaan is either blind or wants to be blind!!!! So, I want there to be something...ANYTHING where either John snaps at Kanaan or vice versa. And then, let the chips fall where they may. No, I don't want Kanaan dead. That's too easy! Give the man some backbone!

6. Of course, I want John to confess to someone...even if it's to himself, which he already has by that dream in S & R. But I want Teyla to know....to really know and I want Teyla to be in a position where she sets her life for John. Although she does everytime she stands beside him.

7. I want a new evil race. I want someone that will scare the pants off the race. I really did like the bad ass in Dadelous Variations.

8. I want a new weapon for the Lantians. I want the team to discover something new in the city. Something powerful and mysterious.

9. I want to delve more on John Ancient genes. I refuse to believe that they can fabricate what John and Carson have by pure nature. I want especially John's stronger gene to stand out and I want to dig deeper into his backstory and how he got those Ancient genes. Was there an Ancient frolicking with Earthlings? Was it John's grandfather? or was it his grandmother.

10. Lastly, I want John to have a fling with some ancient goddess....I don't know...the name C - a -m - y comes to mind for some reason. Something short lived...you know she has to leave him because it turns out that John has a lost twin brother and his name is Mr. C - a - m - y and they have this fight and well, you get the picture.

11. Rodney and Keller must die!

12. Keller and Rodney must die! *not die as in they get killed but die as in their relationship* AND BRING KATIE BACK!

I think that's it for me!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
                    From Joe Mallozzi's blog:
                    Anonymous #2 writes: “ 2) Will it ever be explained why the Wraith cannot feed on Ronon?

Answers: 2) It’s not that the wraith wasn’t able to feed. It was surprised by his defiance and, thus, figured he would make a great runner.

Big J writes: "When Ronon was introduced to Stargate Atlantis, he remarked that he couldn't be fed upon. The new info (a teaser for the episode) says that Ronon is fed upon and given life over and over as torture. How can this be possible?"

Answer: Ronon never said he couldn't be fed upon. He told his story to Teyla and we witnessed a flashback in which the wraith was about to feed on Ronon then stopped, reconsidered, and made him a runner. We discussed this scene with the writer, Rob Cooper, two years ago and, in his mind, the wraith didn't stop because he was unable to feed. He stopped because he was so impressed with Ronon's defiance that he realized he would make for great sport - and thus made him a runner.

To be honest, I think this is an "oops-we-made-a-mistake-so-let's-figure-out-a-way-to-explain-it-after-the-fact" answer. From what I'm seeing in the questions you've quoted, it looks like the episode was already done if teasers were airing about it as an upcoming episode. Mr. Mallozzi was hardly going to admit making a mistake - he wrote it. Either way, I think it didn't work. They either (1) didn't confirm and explain well enough (in the series) that Ronon could be fed upon, or (2) they completely forgot the fact that he couldn't be fed upon and wrote a story where it happens.

I'm going with option 2, and here's why:

"Defiance" isn't realistically a reason why the Wraith stop feeding on anyone. Also, there is no need to attempt to feed on someone to be able to tell that they are defiant.

In Rising Part II, Colonel Sumner was defiant too. The Wraith woman made it seem like his defiance was a delicacy that the Wraith very much enjoy while feeding on someone.

"WRAITH: Your will is strong. (She points at Toran.) This one begged for his life.

SUMNER: Is that the kind of treatment I can expect for myself and my people?

WRAITH: As I have said, all living things must eat.

SUMNER: Then we're done talking.

WRAITH: I think not. Kneel. (Sumner doesn't move. She reaches towards his head. He grabs for her hand but she runs a fingernail down the side of his face. Her voice echoes in his mind.) Kneel. (Sumner falls to his knees.) I have not tasted such strength in so long. (She reaches down and rips his shirt open.)

SUMNER: Go to hell.

WRAITH: Earth first.

(She bends down and slams her open palm onto his chest over his heart, her nails piercing his skin. He screams.)"

Another reason is that Ronon being fed upon isn't the only thing that's wrong with that (Broken Ties) episode. Don't you think it's weird that no one mentions (or even seems to remember) going through the whole addiction thing before with Ford, Ronon, Teyla, and McKay in Season 2? They were ALL addicted to that enzyme, and no one seemed to remember it. No one mentioned Ford. Keller didn't mention any medical records pertaining to withdrawl that Beckett would have had on McKay, Teyla, Ronon, and Ford. And the thing that irritated me the most was Rodney never going to visit Ronon considering he went through withdrawl from a massive dose of the enzyme just like Ronon was. It was like they all spaced out.

I guess my issue is that if they were going to do this episode - fine. Just provide an explanation that makes sense (in the episode, not after the fact when fans are asking questions). If fans have to ask questions because it doesn't seem to add up or make sense, then somewhere along the line, the writers failed. That's all I'm saying. I personally liked it better when the storyline pointed at the Wraith not being able to feed on Ronon. That's more interesting, but that's just me.

Comment

@ Princess Awinita

I love that Ronon is a JT shipper too. Maybe he can push the two of them together.

@Valerie Jackson

Love those emoticons. Especially John skateboarding.

@CazzBlade

I'm not trying to come across as nit-picky. I hope you don't see it this way. I just really loved Atlantis, and I wanted it to be better in its 5th season. It just wasn't for me, that's all.

+ = Forever

Comment

I have no objections to Kanaan being killed off .. but I don't want this to be the reason why Teyla and John end up together...I want Teyla to come to the conclusion that Kanaan is not who she wants to be with and they go their separate ways .. and then he gets killed.....
                        I always thought it would make so much more sense for Torren to be John's child anyway... and I think this could have been a great twist and revealed later in season 5... wouldnt it make so much more sense that Michael would be so interested in getting Torren because he had both Wraith and Ancient genes.. Michael just used Kanaan as a smoke screen.. so when Teyla said it just happened maybe she was surprised she ended up pregnant because she had been taking precaution against pregnancy... Kanaan could have been in cohoots with Michael all along and once this is discovered it gives Ronon the prefect reason to shoot the guy...
                        Yes, I agree. Kanaan being killed off shouldn't be the reason why they get together. Teyla should choose John definitively. Then it's time for "Die Kanaan, die." The Michael storyline was interesting. Maybe he didn't really die when Teyla caused him to fall from the Atlantis main tower. Maybe his Wraith regenerating powers kicked in...Hmm... Maybe we'll see Michael again. Then Ronon can bust out and say "Die Michael, die!"

Yes, Martin Gero confirmed that Teyla was talking about John.. if you go back and watch the ep you can actually hear Teyla say that she was not talking about an Athosian .. but yet later on they tried to say she had been seeing Kanaan for ages, which would mean that Teyla was in fact crushing on John whilst already in a relationship with Kanaan.... sigh !!... just shows how much thought they actually put into the whole relationship ...
                        Good to know! Now, I'll have to go back and watch that episode again. And yes, I agree. The writing started going downhill as the seasons progressed.

Sad indeed. I can't fully understand why.

Comment

@ Princess Awinita

I love that Ronon is a JT shipper too. Maybe he can push the two of them together.

@Valerie Jackson

Love those emoticons. Especially John skateboarding.

@CazzBlade

I'm not trying to come across as nit-picky. I hope you don't see it this way. I just really loved Atlantis, and I wanted it to be better in its 5th season. It just wasn't for me, that's all.

+ = Forever
                          , I didn't make them though... you can a ton of them here.
                          All snurchable. Just credit zuz
                          I really like these. . There is so many more. Different people and ships too.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Valerie_Jackson View Post
                            , I didn't make them though... you can a ton of them here.
                            All snurchable. Just credit zuz
                            I really like these. . There is so many more. Different people and ships too.
                            Oh they are all so cute, especially the one "we're a couple"...
                            sigpic

Comment

To be honest, I think this is an "oops-we-made-a-mistake-so-let's-figure-out-a-way-to-explain-it-after-the-fact" answer. From what I'm seeing in the questions you've quoted, it looks like the episode was already done if teasers were airing about it as an upcoming episode. Mr. Mallozzi was hardly going to admit making a mistake - he wrote it. Either way, I think it didn't work. They either (1) didn't confirm and explain well enough (in the series) that Ronon could be fed upon, or (2) they completely forgot the fact that he couldn't be fed upon and wrote a story where it happens.

I'm going with option 2, and here's why:

"Defiance" isn't realistically a reason why the Wraith stop feeding on anyone. Also, there is no need to attempt to feed on someone to be able to tell that they are defiant.

In Rising Part II, Colonel Sumner was defiant too. The Wraith woman made it seem like his defiance was a delicacy that the Wraith very much enjoy while feeding on someone.

"WRAITH: Your will is strong. (She points at Toran.) This one begged for his life.

SUMNER: Is that the kind of treatment I can expect for myself and my people?

WRAITH: As I have said, all living things must eat.

SUMNER: Then we're done talking.

WRAITH: I think not. Kneel. (Sumner doesn't move. She reaches towards his head. He grabs for her hand but she runs a fingernail down the side of his face. Her voice echoes in his mind.) Kneel. (Sumner falls to his knees.) I have not tasted such strength in so long. (She reaches down and rips his shirt open.)

SUMNER: Go to hell.

WRAITH: Earth first.

(She bends down and slams her open palm onto his chest over his heart, her nails piercing his skin. He screams.)"

Another reason is that Ronon being fed upon isn't the only thing that's wrong with that (Broken Ties) episode. Don't you think it's weird that no one mentions (or even seems to remember) going through the whole addiction thing before with Ford, Ronon, Teyla, and McKay in Season 2? They were ALL addicted to that enzyme, and no one seemed to remember it. No one mentioned Ford. Keller didn't mention any medical records pertaining to withdrawl that Beckett would have had on McKay, Teyla, Ronon, and Ford. And the thing that irritated me the most was Rodney never going to visit Ronon considering he went through withdrawl from a massive dose of the enzyme just like Ronon was. It was like they all spaced out.

I guess my issue is that if they were going to do this episode - fine. Just provide an explanation that makes sense (in the episode, not after the fact when fans are asking questions). If fans have to ask questions because it doesn't seem to add up or make sense, then somewhere along the line, the writers failed. That's all I'm saying. I personally liked it better when the storyline pointed at the Wraith not being able to feed on Ronon. That's more interesting, but that's just me.
                              It’s really, really not a matter of tptb back tracking. I don’t usually defend tptb, as… well… in later seasons… they sucked… but on this matter, they never made a mistake. There was nothing in Runner or any other episode that made it canon that Ronon couldn’t be fed upon. Some fans misinterpreted it. That first question and answer I posted was from 2005. There is a whole thread on the matter here, even taking about the fandemonium author who made the mistake that Ronon couldn’t be fed on in her book and got quite embarrassed about it.

Comment

Sci, you'll be happy to know that Lythisrose found the answer to teh hair issue

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                                Here is a little tidbit, for what it's worth, I guess, about the Good Day For It movie - one of the posters on the Yahoo JFO group asked the guy who posted the Deputy Brady "stand-in" pic the following question:
                                Does Joe have his hair that way, darn it if they're tamed Teh Hair
                                and he replied:
                                No, this is our key PA pretty much just wearing the jacket+shirt+holster. Can't really say more than that.
                                As for the boom, my boom op sticks the boom in almost every photo one of us takes.
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/xjohnpa...7622933583824/

Comment

Working...
                                X