John Sheppard/Teyla Emmagan Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lady Blue View Post

I think we have to enjoy it for what it was and for the fact that it was at least established that John wanted her, and not just in a sexual way. It was hinted at that she wanted him too. They started out as friends that had an attraction, and it grew from there. I really liked that. Kanaan had a lot of potential that I don't think he lived up to because he was kind of one dimensional. I think her relationship with him could have been a way to know more about Athosian culture and about Teyla as their far away leader. That didn't happen, though, which is too bad. It's not often you get a story like that on television and I think they just glided past it.

I did expect that she would end up with John eventually, if the show had gone on. And it would have been all the more richer by that time because of all that they had gone through together to be able to get there. They weren't, and would not have been, your average couple, and I liked that. I don't think I've ever seen a couple like them before, and I don't know when or if I'll see another one similar to them. The one good thing about Atlantis was that it had so many different and good "untapped" themes going on that just never got "tapped."

I hope you have a great time tapping into some of that with your writing. Links would be best, and I'll be happy to read your first episode. Everlovin's suggestions about fanfiction.net and AO3 are good too.

Welcome.
    Absolutely. The fact that it started as friendship and blossomed into something more somehow made it feel more natural, more real.

What I particularly loved is the awkwardness of the base attraction,how Sheppard just struggles to express himself emotionally and was his own worst enemy in his relationship with Teyla. As a guy who pretty much has the same issues, it allowed me to relate to the Sheppard character more than I expected too.

I just never liked the Kanaan character, he and his relationship with Teyla felt forced; both between them and also on the audience. I do appreciate it had the opportunity to tell us more about Athosian customs but I felt it would have been better to find that out with Sheppard, as he could have been as new to Athosian culture as us, if you understand what I mean?

Agreed, I like for characters to have had to work for a relationship, to overcome whatever obstacles are put infront of them. And you are definitely right, they are not a normal couple so having them link up in a relatively normal manner may have done them a disservice. I think thats the perfect way to describe Atlantis.

Thanks. What I'm looking to do is compose a series that doesnt feel like twenty different stories but at the same time not having it as one continuous arc. I'll have an overview of the series done by tonight, I'll link it on my blog. And I've just registered with FanFiction so I appreciate the advice from you both

Thanks for the welcome.

Comment

I think their relationship could have developed - maybe sideways is the right word - in S3. I can totally see one or both of them being overcome with grief over Carson, Elizabeth, Kate, and finding comfort in each others arms. Lo and behold, here comes a baby, and then they grow closer on a personal level and realize they're in love.

VC, I'm not sure if the one continuous arch is more ambitious or less than 20 separate stories with some arching into the larger story. I just know, it's more than I could ever take on.
      sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Yeah I think that was the time. Emotions would have been running high and they would have been seeking solace and comfort. It would have made sense given Sheppard usual struggles with "feelings". (I adore that scene on the Daedalus in Sateda). And yes that could have been the catalyst for them to get even closer.

I think a single arc could get a little repetetive but I would like some underlying current through the series, if that makes sense. Gradually building towards a major event at the end, though thats the bit I'm stuck on at the minute.

Comment

That scene on Daedalus is when I decided to be a John/Teyla shipper. So sweet and wonderful. Before that, I wasn't sure which way the show was going to go. I saw lots of stuff that could be interpreted going with John/Elizabeth. But for every one of those I saw, there was also one for John/Teyla. It wasn't until then that it became crystal clear to me.

Not that I'm afraid to go against canon to ship. I do that a LOT!
          sigpic

Comment

Its probably one of my favourite scenes in the entire show. I think its a perfect example of two people wanting something but neither being able to express their want for it properly. I must admit, the bit where she said he had no friends made me laugh and I don't know why!!

Funny, sweet and bordelrine romantic...what more could you ask for. I see why people think about John/Elizabeth but to me thats also struck me more a friendship with undertones of family, caring but never romantic. But maybe I'm just a bit blind, I'm a guy after all

I think thats the beauty of fanfic, you can go where you want. Not where you're are directed.

Comment

I thought the Daedalus scene was very romantic. It was beautiful how well they knew each other. More so than anyone else could know them.

I think people see romance/ship where they choose to. I know a great many shippers out there that I look at them and think they're crazy. They do the same to me. So, not just because you're a guy.
              sigpic

Comment

Absolutely, it was just right in almost every way that scene.

I guess you are right, maybe I just need to be wow'ed by a pairing to really get into it.

Okay so I've got my overview done. I would appreciate any feedback or criticism.

http://geneticallygeek.blogspot.co.u...-six-plan.html

Thanks.

Comment

I'm checking it out. Give me a few minutes.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VerbalCascade View Post
                    Absolutely, it was just right in almost every way that scene.

I guess you are right, maybe I just need to be wow'ed by a pairing to really get into it.

Okay so I've got my overview done. I would appreciate any feedback or criticism.

http://geneticallygeek.blogspot.co.u...-six-plan.html

Thanks.
                    Here's what I have for the first 10. You've done a wonderful job creating an outline here. You really deserve credit for that.

Ep 1-2: It sounds like the first 2 episodes work somewhat off of the Mallozzi script outline that was posted some time back. That would make anyone interested in seeing Zelenka on a moon happy. Hopefully Kanaan gets to contribute something valuable before he dies. That would be nice, and touching.

Ep 3: I think New Lantea is beautiful, but is there a reason why they return there versus Lantea? The Asuran threat has been virtually eliminated, no? The replicators that survived with Weir that are frozen in space know that the last place Atlantis was located was on New Lantea, so maybe moving back to plain old Lantea might have its merits. I don’t mind them going back to New Lantea so long as there is a plausible reason why. Sorry to nitpick, but I thought I’d mention that. I love the rest of this outline, though. Great ideas.

Ep 4: I like everything about this episode but the illness. We’ve already had some outbreak episodes, and I think some other threat might be better. Maybe the Bola Kai come back for revenge against Teyla killing their men in season 4 and to pillage the settlement now that it’s thriving again. It doesn’t have to be that. It could be some new threat, but I’d like to see her people actually in battle. We saw a lot of her fighting skills in season 1 and 2, but we never got to see the Athosians as a people that could defend themselves if needed. It would be nice if they didn’t seem so helpless. It’s just a suggestion.

Ep 5: I love the outline for this one. Sheppard takes Teyla’s place in off-world trade negotiations, and he can barely keep his eyes open! I’m very curious about the other mysterious things referenced. And more Beckett is always good.

Ep 6: Good outline. I have nothing to add here other than it would be nice to cut to Teyla a bit. It would be nice to have a couple of scenes showing her resuming command in an up-close-and-personal way from Halling, her second. Maybe even it could just be a scene where they talk and he’s glad to have her back, “like old times,” or something.

Ep 7: Another good outline. If you decide to make changes to ep 4, then perhaps Beckett’s reason for coming along is to check up on the hybrid virus that Michael gave many of the Athosians when they were taken. Beckett thought he rendered it inert, but somehow it’s mutated in some of the Athosians, causing them to become ill. He takes DNA samples for analysis to find a cure before it’s too late. And let’s hope they convince Teyla. Atlantis needs her.

Ep 8: I don’t know about Teyla “adapting” to life with her people. I can understand that she misses Atlantis and the friends there that have become a second family, but the Athosian way is also her way. That’s who she is, so I don’t think there’s anything to adapt to, but I understand your meaning, I think. I also don’t think Kanaan in a dream would change her mind. I honestly think a good talk with Halling would be better. They are very close friends from what I can tell. He’s glad to have her back, but he can tell that she can better serve her people from afar, “where the Ancestors once walked.” She doesn’t want to feel like she’s turning her back on her people, and Halling assures her that she is not. That’s my suggestion. Please do what you see fit, though.

Ep 9: I think this one has some really good potential. I just hope the McKay/Keller stuff isn’t too heavy. Sorry about that.

Ep 10: I like everything about this but the “forgetting” part. We’ve had that happen in a couple of episode already, like Tabula Rasa and The Shrine. Maybe instead, you can have them “remembering” things that they know didn’t happen. They’re not sure what’s going on. The memories are like pieces to a puzzle that they have to put together for some reason. Maybe they become confused as the memories keep coming, not being able to know what happened to them and only them, and what didn’t. Teyla and Ronon help them sort that out and interestingly enough, they are the ones that sort through everything and figure out what the memories mean, and what they have to do… You never know, this might work, but your idea has merit too.

I’ll come back with the other ten later. So far, you’ve done a WONDERFUL job. Just great.

sigpic

Comment

Thats some really good advice TLB and I appreciate it.

Just a few responses:

Episodes 1 & 2: Yeah I used the Mallozzi ideas as a basis but cut out some of the stuff I wouldn't feel comfortable writing about (like Time Travel etc). As for Kanaan, I was hoping to have him confront the saboteur and derail his plans somewhat.

Episode 3: Thats the exact sort of thing I was hoping for in terms of feedback. I had wrote it so that the Wraith wouldn't be able to find them but how would the wraith know they would return to Lantea. Makes more sense that way. Thanks

Episode 4: With this episode, I was trying to think of something that would compliment the the funeral stuff and allow me to use some of the other characters a little more. Illness did seems a bit obvious. A battle would be good. I'll take it under consideration!

Episode 5: I never imagined Sheppard as dipomat so it would be fun to see. Plus I'd suggest he's also still distracted by Teyla's absence. Allows me to work a bit more emotion into it.

Episode 6: Yep I was thinking of cutting to Teyla in this episode, showing how she is getting on. I think the Athosian culture is still pretty much unknown to us so would be nice to explore.

Episode 7: That works very well too actually and allows me to use Beckett in a similar sort of way. I think Ronon trying to convince Teyla would be fun to write.

Episode 8: Adapating is the wrong word, perhaps re-adjusting might be better. I definitely wasnt sure about this one because of the dream sequence. Because that can be dismissed so very easily. Definitely consider this too.

Episode 9: Nah it won't be that heavy, season five had enough of it for me.

Episode 10: Again, I was unsure about this one because I knew it had been done so this was always open to being entirely redone. Thats some really good advice TLB and I appreciate it.

Just a few responses:

Episodes 1 & 2: Yeah I used the Mallozzi ideas as a basis but cut out some of the stuff I wouldn't feel comfortable writing about (like Time Travel etc).

Episode 3: Thats the exact sort of thing I was hoping for in terms of feedback. I had wrote it so that the Wraith wouldn't be able to find them but how would the wraith know they would return to Lantea. Makes more sense that way. Thanks

Episode 4: With this episode, I was trying to think of something that would compliment the the funeral stuff and allow me to use some of the other characters a little more. Illness did seems a bit obvious. A battle would be good. I'll take it under consideration!

Episode 5: I never imagined Sheppard as dipomat so it would be fun to see. Plus I'd suggest he's also still distracted by Teyla's absence. Allows me to work a bit more emotion into it.

Episode 6: Yep I was thinking of cutting to Teyla in this episode, showing how she is getting on. I think the Athosian culture is still pretty much unknown to us so would be nice to explore.

Episode 7: That works very well too actually and allows me to use Beckett in a similar sort of way. I think Ronon trying to convince Teyla would be fun to write.

Episode 8: Adapating is the wrong word, perhaps re-adjusting might be better. I definitely wasnt sure about this one because of the dream sequence. Because that can be dismissed so very easily. Definitely consider this too.

Episode 9: Nah it won't be that heavy, season five had enough of it for me.

Episode 10: Again, I was unsure about this one because I knew it had been done so this was always open to being entirely redone. Perhaps I can change it to make it more about them being trapped in their own heads, reliving an ancient catastrophe?

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice.

Comment

Sorry about that, I seem to have posted it twice!

Comment

I really am still reading your outline for the stories. Life is crazy at the Ever household.

One question I do have - with all the time you have planned for Teyla to be spending with the Athosians, do you intend to explore their culture some?
                          sigpic

Comment

Busy busy and a bit busy?

Yeah I was planning too as I felt it was under-utilised a little in the series. I've got an interest in history so I was thinking of using Saxon/Viking and other Pagan societies as a basis but making them somewhat more unique.

Before I start writing it properly though, I want to make sure that that each episode is worth writing. I don't want to get started only to find something doesn't quite make sense

Comment

Busy busy. I've got 6 adult size people living here as well as my two granddaughters. One of whom had a heart transplant last fall. Lots of doctors visits. The bug guy came and fumigated so I'm cleaning the whole house and school is getting ready to start for two of the kids - teenagers. Busy busy.

I can see using the Saxon/Viking type culture for the Athosian basis. Lord knows we haven't really seen them aside from basic hunter/farmer/trader type society. Aside from Charin's death, we know almost nothing of their culture.

What I've read so far sounds interesting.
                              sigpic

Comment

My word, thats very busy. I spend time looking after my dad and thats hectic enough. Thats alot of people and alot of difficult stuff to be dealing with. I hope it will all become better for you all soon. Ah teenagers, I remember those years!!

I wouldn't particularly want to stray too far into Viking culture given the Asgard connection. But it will inform on alot of what I will do with Athosians culture, which is almost a blank slate aside from the basics and the Ring Ceremony.

Thanks. What I would say is that I'm not entirely pleased with the ending so that might be subject to change. But I want to get this right so any feedback once you are done would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X