Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Sheppard/Teyla Emmagan Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    John shoulda shot first asked questions Later.....

    wait, wrong movie, my bad, was thikning of Han...

    OK ok, I admit it, I've not been as uptodate with Atlantis and John & Teyla lately as I should have been, so I've read a crossover story that put Atlantis in Star Wars and it had a whole buncha fun, I cannot find it now though >.<

    This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

    Comment


      Originally posted by Artie View Post
      I think it has a lot to do with the conventional wisdom that for a male main character to be interesting to the all-important male viewer he has to be single and "playing the field." A male main character who is in an established relationship is boring and "just a dad" to the young male viewer. I think this conventional wisdom is wrong. I don't think the 20-40 male viewer is as shallow as that, and I don't think that male main characters who were "players" have gone over well in other shows, not even with that demographic. But the conventional wisdom persists.

      I think there's a feeling that John would have been perceived as boring and unmanly if he were in an established relationship and a father.
      I know that was a big concern with Joe Flanigan too, but they could've more than they did. Even if it was Ronan saying something about it.... and not in Teyla's dream sequence. Eventhough Joe kinda wanted to have John be Kirklike, he actually was with only 3 people. His ex-wife, Nancy, Chaya, probably ancient gene attraction..... Plus she look like Teyla And then Teer, and he was with her and her people for months....and she incitated it, like Chaya. Teyla said in Sunday that she would wait, but he obviously has baggage from his marriage and rather wait for the woman to give the ok. IMO


      But if TPTB did it right they could've had more then so so hints or moments like the dream. And if I remember correctly, for one of the cons, Brad Wright and Martin Gero said they would go back and explore their relationship, but couldn't just dump Kanaan. Sadly, the got cancelled, no movies and the chance was lost. Good thing for books and fanfics.




      Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
      And here I thought scifi was all about pushing the boundries. Including those of what is "conventional wisdom" or not.

      There are plenty of shows out there with a strong male lead that doesn't sleep around nor is implied they sleep around.
      Look at SG-1, wasn't it the first season they showed a major attraction between Sam and Jack and then admitted to it here and there. I bet if the had the movie for them, the would've had them married or something.

      and another awesome example is John and Aeryn, from Farscape. Their passion ROCKED!

      Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
      I haven't had a chance to read the books. One of these days I'll have money.

      Personally, I think a man in love is very sexy. As an avowed non Shep thunker, I thought he was sexier when he was looking at Teyla, flirting with Teyla, and loving Teyla.
      Me too. I'm still hooked on them more than my other ships.

      Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
      John shoulda shot first asked questions Later.....

      wait, wrong movie, my bad, was thikning of Han...

      OK ok, I admit it, I've not been as uptodate with Atlantis and John & Teyla lately as I should have been, so I've read a crossover story that put Atlantis in Star Wars and it had a whole buncha fun, I cannot find it now though >.<
      sadly, it didn't happen.
      I had trouble with Kanaan for a few reason. They tried to shove him down our throats. Could've done a flashback to prepare us in Missing and tried not so hard to make it like Ronon and Weir knew.....how often Weir leave the city? Seriously!
      He wasn't a strong character. I know they attended to off him before season 4 ended, but sadly they didn't make time for that.
      To me he's not worthy of her. She's so strong and he's like a Mr. Mom. I know she take care of herself, but would've been nice to see him actually been more active to fit in her new world instead of just leaving her behind and visiting their people...again, IMHO.

      Comment


        Did the retrovirus make him act instinctually and wholly out of character or did it strip him of his inhibitions and lead him to act on some deep-seeded yearning? In other words: Sheyla or not?
        My vote is that it stripped John of his inhibitions. The retrovirus allowed him to go after what he wanted and he did! I agree with what many of you said that it could have been handled in such a way that was believable without demeaning to either of the characters. One night of meeting together in moment of shared grief that lead to.....

        Do I think fans would have liked it? I think it would be divided up the way it is now those of us who Love Shelya and the others who don't like it and pretend it is not there.

        I don't think that there was a need to write in the pregnancy at all - but since it is canon - they should have given us something better than Kanan!
        One must always be improbable – Oscar Wilde sigpic

        Comment


          Originally posted by Courtam3 View Post
          My vote is that it stripped John of his inhibitions. The retrovirus allowed him to go after what he wanted and he did! I agree with what many of you said that it could have been handled in such a way that was believable without demeaning to either of the characters. One night of meeting together in moment of shared grief that lead to.....

          Do I think fans would have liked it? I think it would be divided up the way it is now those of us who Love Shelya and the others who don't like it and pretend it is not there.

          I don't think that there was a need to write in the pregnancy at all - but since it is canon - they should have given us something better than Kanan!
          Courtam!!! *HUGS*

          I agree. I think it allowed him to give in to what he was wanting,but was afraid to persue.

          Yeah, I think some fans would've been upset about it, but again... if done right, it would've been a natural progression. Just like. John and Aeryn, Sam and Jack, Booth and Bones, Castle and Beckett... the list goes on and on. When you do a relationship. It can be dynamic, but it doesn't always have to be a "in your face" kinda a thing either. They could still work with each other without the extra couples drama.... but that's my opinion. I like to ship..for the most part. I've seen many shows and its sad when they end and the hero is alone.

          Comment


            Originally posted by scifan View Post
            Courtam!!! *HUGS*

            I agree. I think it allowed him to give in to what he was wanting,but was afraid to persue.
            Right back at YA!

            And because he was afraid to pursue the news of Teyla seeing someone "of her people" and being pregnant made him react badly - jealous and reactionary because he could not handle what had come to pass.

            PS I LOVE that the thread is up and talking again LOL
            One must always be improbable – Oscar Wilde sigpic

            Comment


              Originally posted by scifan View Post
              sadly, it didn't happen.
              Well slag.... anyhow, hi guys!

              This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

              Comment


                Originally posted by Courtam3 View Post
                Right back at YA!

                And because he was afraid to pursue the news of Teyla seeing someone "of her people" and being pregnant made him react badly - jealous and reactionary because he could not handle what had come to pass.

                PS I LOVE that the thread is up and talking again LOL
                You could tell that John was blind sided in SOW when when told him and then when Sam asked him who the dad was... we got another stunned look. It didn't ever cross his mind to think about it... just he was upset that she was pregnant and that she didn't say something earlier. Still laugh that he looked at Ronon.

                I'm so happy too. JM gave us some inspiration today.

                Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                Well slag.... anyhow, hi guys!
                Thanks hun. *HUGS and Hi back*

                Comment


                  Another quote I found on JM's blog. Guess he's been thinking of the old days.

                  Letters from Pegasus:


                  Off-world, meanwhile, Sheppard and Teyla run into a spot of trouble while running reconnaissance and narrowly avoid being culled by the wraith. Teyla’s attempts to save the family of an old friend prompts a curious lecture from John on the necessity to separate emotions from logic in life or death situations. The advice is sound but it nevertheless rings a little hollow given that it comes from a guy who has, time and again, demonstrated just the opposite.
                  He's done it many of time for his teammates,but none more than Teyla.

                  The Ark, Search and Rescue are just a couple quick ones that come to mind... ok.. now I'm thining of Quarentine

                  Comment


                    One last post. Then off to bed. Just found this vid... enjoy everyone.

                    Night!!!


                    Comment


                      OK.. saw Nina's vid and had to post. Love this vid.


                      Comment


                        Originally posted by scifan View Post
                        You could tell that John was blind sided in SOW when when told him and then when Sam asked him who the dad was... we got another stunned look.
                        I loved Sam's expression there! It seems really clear that Sam's immediate thought was that John was the father and she was really surprised when he said he didn't know.
                        sigpicsig by Isolde

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Artie View Post
                          I loved Sam's expression there! It seems really clear that Sam's immediate thought was that John was the father and she was really surprised when he said he didn't know.
                          How could I forget about that? Priceless.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by scifan View Post
                            How could I forget about that? Priceless.
                            I think there are no flies on Sam about what goes on in John's head. After all, she let him go back in Search and Rescue when she shouldn't have. She's done the same thing herself, hasn't she?
                            sigpicsig by Isolde

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Courtam3 View Post
                              My vote is that it stripped John of his inhibitions. The retrovirus allowed him to go after what he wanted and he did! I agree with what many of you said that it could have been handled in such a way that was believable without demeaning to either of the characters. One night of meeting together in moment of shared grief that lead to.....

                              Do I think fans would have liked it? I think it would be divided up the way it is now those of us who Love Shelya and the others who don't like it and pretend it is not there.

                              I don't think that there was a need to write in the pregnancy at all - but since it is canon - they should have given us something better than Kanan!
                              Re the pregnancy. It made zero sense for Michael to be as obsessed with Torren with Kanaan as the father. Teyla and him both carried the Wraith gene. So did their child. Michael carried the human gene and had Teyla and Kanaan as prisoners. Why did he need Torren as badly as he claimed?

                              Now with John as the father. Torren = human-Ancient-Wraith hybrid. He would have been the genetic key to Wraith AND ancient technology and that would have made perfect sense for Michael to go after him since his genetic build would allow him access to what had been denied: Ancient tech; jumpers etc. Maybe Clone-Carson allowed him to inject his hybrids with ATA genes and be able to fly the jumper but wouldn´t it have made the whole "hunt-the baby-down" plot much more credible?

                              But as you said, the pregnancy should have never been brought in. I for one am curious how the "dark Teyla" plot they initially planned to do had panned out. JMO.

                              Check out this amazing vid by SGAFan on YouTube Joe IS Rockford!
                              picfic craziness against boredom: Col.Sheppard & the nutty whumpers

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Artie View Post
                                I think there are no flies on Sam about what goes on in John's head. After all, she let him go back in Search and Rescue when she shouldn't have. She's done the same thing herself, hasn't she?
                                I agree. Sam is extremely smart and we all know how often she did her part for Jack and visa versa.

                                Originally posted by SheppAddictedFangirl View Post
                                Re the pregnancy. It made zero sense for Michael to be as obsessed with Torren with Kanaan as the father. Teyla and him both carried the Wraith gene. So did their child. Michael carried the human gene and had Teyla and Kanaan as prisoners. Why did he need Torren as badly as he claimed?

                                Now with John as the father. Torren = human-Ancient-Wraith hybrid. He would have been the genetic key to Wraith AND ancient technology and that would have made perfect sense for Michael to go after him since his genetic build would allow him access to what had been denied: Ancient tech; jumpers etc. Maybe Clone-Carson allowed him to inject his hybrids with ATA genes and be able to fly the jumper but wouldn´t it have made the whole "hunt-the baby-down" plot much more credible?

                                But as you said, the pregnancy should have never been brought in. I for one am curious how the "dark Teyla" plot they initially planned to do had panned out. JMO.
                                That's what I was thinking! In The Gift, they talked about when the Wraith scientist added a bit of Wraith DNA in the humans and they were able to hear the Wraith commnunicate... hearing voices and making them feel or seem crazy. So why would Michael want to revert to that?
                                And I'm with you with the Human-Wraith-Ancient gene thing. That would've been more interesting instead of them using Clone Beckett's ATA gene to make him able to use the jumpers and whatever.
                                I was really bummed that they didn't make Teyla darker than they did. Her pushing the guy over with a stick while very pregnant wasn't what I call "Dark". If they did it right, they could've had Michael mess with her more and do things that were not Teyla like things.... but they didn't.

                                Imagine how powerful Torren could be if he had the ATA and Wraith genes.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X