No announcement yet.

John Sheppard/Teyla Emmagan Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question. Is VS6 appropriate for someone say, 13 or so... cause I would love to read it but I'm just not sure due to the notice thingy...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Valerie_Jackson View Post
      Question. Is VS6 appropriate for someone say, 13 or so... cause I would love to read it but I'm just not sure due to the notice thingy...
      Um, I haven't had a chance to read them but as I understand it, they're trying to keep it fairly close to what we'd see on tv. I promise I'll get to it! I only just got my computer back!
      sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by scifan View Post
        Yep. I'm still learning. If you go to Youtube, they have lots of tut to help you. Look up Masking. That's what I've been using alot lately. Plus I play with the colors. If you have questions hun I could try to help. I think I have GIMP 2.4,5 and no I don't have Windows 7. I think it's XP.

YW hun.

Hey Teal'c!! Glad to see you.

D
        glad to see you too wait i'll have new story line that brings Micheal back to sga... and has ronan come back but as a clone.

http://galaxygate.freeforums.org/index.php
        Come and join My Doctor Who fourm....
        http://galactictraveler.proboards.com/index.cgi

Comment

Yes you should be fine Like Ev said, everything is written strickly in line with how the show is, so if you watch the show you can read the fics. I always put that notice on just in case
          What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

If you watched the show (which was 15, right?) then you can read the fics.
            don't worry, soon we won't have to say goodbye.

facebook | Celebrate Scotland |livejournal

Comment

Hi, Blue

I'm back in action.

Picking up where we left off...

Originally posted by bluealien View Post

I thought he felt the opposite... he was quite shocked when Woolsey first said that Teyla wasnt sure about coming back to the team... but he tried to act like that shouldnt be a big thing but it was for him.... he had lost her as a potential partner, was he now going to lose her as a teammate... I cant say I was impressed at how the writers handled this whoie mess anyway...I couldnt see Teyla having any doubts about wanting to continue to fight the Wraith.. she would have been brought up in an environment where all her people would have acted as guardians for the children of the tribe..I'm sure many were lost to the Wraith and other elements and the children would always be taken care off.. this is when the writers tried to turn Teyla into some little earth dithering mom... I felt that John understood her dilemma though and I couldnt understand why she took her anger out on him because she couldnt make her own mind up .. sigh....

I think John was hurting from the moment Teyla told him she was pregnant... I know she didnt owe him anything but at times I thought her treatment of him was rather cold and uncalled for and again I think the writers were so desparately tring to show that Teyla was now tucked away living happily ever after with her out of nowhere lover that they had her acting totally out of character to John.. this was the guy who had risked his life numerous times for her but yet all she seemed to do was bite his head off..I'd put it down to hormones... but once Teyla went back on the team the writers went out of their way to kill the bond between them.... except for obvious occasions like Search and Rescue.. so it was a confusing mess.... again I think they were trying so hard to get the message across that John was out of bounds now because Teyla was "spoken for"... they just tried to ignore the relationship they had built up between them over the previous years...and like most things that got swept under the carpet assume the viewers wouldnt notice...

I dont think John will be the one now to change the status quo...if things are to change in the future between them it will be Teyla who initiates it.. or Kanaan..

I personally think that if he and Teyla are going to ever end up together, it would be John that makes the move (regardless of whether Teyla is single or not). I recall Teyla telling her friend in Sunday that it is not the custom with her people for the woman to make the first move. I believe that she will stick with this custom. I also think that John was the one that was mean to her, and biting her head off. Any new mother has to decide if she is going to go back to work or if she is going to stay with her child. That's natural. The choice is easier for some women than others, but her taking the time necessary to make a decision that she could be at peace with was something he shouldn't have been so impatient about.

And, it would have been nice to know about her people and their customs to know how they handle childbirth, but again, not so. I'm not saying that they needed to do entire episodes about Teyla and the Athosians, only that it would have been great to see more things about all of the characters and their pasts weaved into the storylines. Lord knows so many people wanted that. Oh, well. I personally think that Teyla got short-changed the most when it comes to showing her backstory.

I think that the "frustration" element on John's part was something that the writers should have avoided because to me, it didn't make a lot of sense. Since the rules for the Atlantis expedition would have probably had her on maternity leave anyway, the decision shouldn't have been for her to chose if she was coming back, but when. One of Lorne's men could have taken her place until she decided to return. I understand that there were some missions that she wanted to go on, and that caused a bit of confusion. But, I still think that they could have worked something out without all of the "frustration" added in. Or, if they were going to have him be "frustrated" because he wanted and was used to having Teyla with him, then he and she should have ended up talking that out, and again, coming to some kind of agreement instead of her making a decision possibly sooner than when she may have been comfortable with. I guess we just see this one differently.

Not the present SGA writers.... Teyla is neatly tucked out of the way now so they don't have to bother with her at all.... there is no way they have the imagination to solve the mess but there are other amazing authors out there who have and one of them is the author of the new books that are coming up so I'm looking forward to these and I think she will be trying to undo many of the disasters the SGA writers left the show in.... and I think we will get the development and attention that both John and Teyla and in fact all the characters lacked under the care of the SGA writers..
              You know, I've never had a need or desire to read any of the SG novels, but that has changed. I want a decent ending for this story that I invested 5 seasons of viewership into. Since it looks like the movies aren't happening, this just might do the trick. Count me in on reading it!

I think anyone can imagine more than the writers did...
              True. TBC...

@CazzBlade

Thanks.

Comment

Alright Bluealien,

It's time to answer your questions.

Do you think the writers did a good job with Sheppard over the years....

I think that the writers did a good job with him, without questions, for the first 3 years. After that, I have my critiques here and there. One critique would be that if they were going to turn him into the "Solitary Man" figure that he became, then it would have been nice to have seen how it was happening, instead of the audience having to come up with their own reasons. Something more definitive would have been better (to me). I personally attribute it to his relationship with Teyla, for the most part. By the end of the series, it looked like everyone had someone but him. And, since his heart belongs to Teyla, I think that fact caused him to withdraw more since anyone else would have been someone we was making due with; it wouldn't have been love. And, Shep's older now (early 40's), so fun and play gets tired after awhile. After all he's been through, I think he wanted someone that he could build a life with, he just missed his chance, and that's probably depressing to him. The distance might be the way that it shows.

I also feel like Shep was more about the team during the first 3 seasons. Then, in seasons 4 and 5 it seemed like everyone was kind of dealing with their own stuff. They were still a team, but a more fractured team - to me. This is just my opinion.

Did he remain true to character during the seasons..

Once again, seasons 4-5 were a little different to me. In terms of the character, I felt like I was watching Stargate: The Devolution of John Sheppard at times. I don't like how they made him a little bit on the "horny jock" side during season 5. If they were going to give him a love interest, or even a fling, fine, but stay consistent with the maturity of the character. Again, just my opinion.

Did the writers explain the changes we saw in John over the years and did they do a good job...

No.

Why do we feel that Teyla was the only woman for John ...

I'm going to go ahead and sound cliché here, but they are soul-mates. They had a spark from the moment they met. They understand and respect each other. I believe that each one of them knows how to give what the other one needs. Whenever Teyla was down, she turned to John. And, John was always for his team, but with Teyla it was always something more...

Did the writers do justice to John and Teyla's "feelings" over the year or do we see it as a mix of confusing signals with no real explanation..

Both are true, to a certain extent. However, the latter is the most true. Teyla and John had feelings that the actors were great at showing when the dialog didn't necessarily indicate much. That could have been built upon, but sadly it wasn't. They are still stuck in a no man's land.

Was John's transition from easy going quirky fly boy in the early seasons to the grim more serious loner we saw in season five believable..

To a certain extent, yes. But again, where the writers failed (since they decided to go this route) was in "showing" how this transition really took place. Perhaps they think they did, but I certainly don't think so. There have been too many blanks I've had to fill in for myself. I think that this (among other things) is why Shep seems so different, and in some ways it's almost from nowhere, and then as a viewer you have to try to make it make sense...

Sorry it took so long to post this. I'm still playing catch-up in reading this thread. Thanks for the questions.

And, well wishes to all you JTers out there!

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
                  Yes you should be fine Like Ev said, everything is written strickly in line with how the show is, so if you watch the show you can read the fics. I always put that notice on just in case
                  Originally posted by gater101 View Post
                  If you watched the show (which was 15, right?) then you can read the fics.
                  Thanks. I just wanted to make sure. *Goes off to read*
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis4Life View Post
                    Hi, Blue

I personally think that if he and Teyla are going to ever end up together, it would be John that makes the move (regardless of whether Teyla is single or not). I recall Teyla telling her friend in Sunday that it is not the custom with her people for the woman to make the first move. I believe that she will stick with this custom. I also think that John was the one that was mean to her, and biting her head off. Any new mother has to decide if she is going to go back to work or if she is going to stay with her child. That's natural. The choice is easier for some women than others, but her taking the time necessary to make a decision that she could be at peace with was something he shouldn't have been so impatient about.
                    I don't think John will ever make a move... he wasnt even sure of Teyla's feelings before so now that she has a child and is with another man I really don't think he would ever make a move now.... I think Teyla will be the one who finally realises that Kanaan is not the man for her and that having a child is not enough to keep a relationship together... but I also think that Kanaan will soon notice that Teyla's feelings are not as strong for him as he would like and he will begin to notice the looks and body language between John and Teyla...
                    As to Teyla going back to work again I have to stick to my previous assement.. Teyla is not from Earth.. she is a warrior and the leader of her people and has been raised in an environment where danger probably lurks everywhere.. what would she have done if Torren was born in Athos.. she wouldnt have to make any decision as life with children would continue as normal..... Teyla tells John that life does not change for Athosians whilst pregnant and I doubt it would change after she gives birth either.... I don't think John was short with her at alll he was willing to give her the time she wanted but how was he to know that she wanted to go on certain missions and not others.. he knew she needed to make a decision... but he's not a mind reader... Teyla told him she needed time to deicide whether she wanted to return to the team but yet has a go at him because he didnt tell her about a mission... again I think the writers were trying to turn Teyla into some earth suburban mom and Teyla is nothing like that.... I felt they lost sight of who Teyla was as soon as they started the pregnancy storyline...

And, it would have been nice to know about her people and their customs to know how they handle childbirth, but again, not so. I'm not saying that they needed to do entire episodes about Teyla and the Athosians, only that it would have been great to see more things about all of the characters and their pasts weaved into the storylines. Lord knows so many people wanted that. Oh, well. I personally think that Teyla got short-changed the most when it comes to showing her backstory.
                    Yes she was shortchanged... they tell us she is this strong leader from a totally different culture and with different customs but yet they write her like she is from Earth..

I think that the "frustration" element on John's part was something that the writers should have avoided because to me, it didn't make a lot of sense. Since the rules for the Atlantis expedition would have probably had her on maternity leave anyway, the decision shouldn't have been for her to chose if she was coming back, but when. One of Lorne's men could have taken her place until she decided to return. I understand that there were some missions that she wanted to go on, and that caused a bit of confusion. But, I still think that they could have worked something out without all of the "frustration" added in. Or, if they were going to have him be "frustrated" because he wanted and was used to having Teyla with him, then he and she should have ended up talking that out, and again, coming to some kind of agreement instead of her making a decision possibly sooner than when she may have been comfortable with. I guess we just see this one differently.
                    Well I think John always believed she was just on maternity leave and she intended coming back and this is when he was taken aback when she said she may not be coming back at alll.... and as I said earlier he WAS giving her the time to come to that decision but yet she got upset with him because she had wanted to be on cetain missions... but how was he to know this and as he said he cant keep consulting Teyla before each mission

You know, I've never had a need or desire to read any of the SG novels, but that has changed. I want a decent ending for this story that I invested 5 seasons of viewership into. Since it looks like the movies aren't happening, this just might do the trick. Count me in on reading it!
                    I'm really looking forward to them... and as I've read quite a bit of the authors stuff, she writes Teyla beautifully and has an amazing grasp on the relationship between John and Teyla... SOOO much better than the writers... I just felt the SGA writers never had a handle on Teyla, especially in season five, but Jo Graham has got me so excited about Teyla's character again and what it means being Athosian and living amongst people from a different culture...
                    sigpic

Comment

Alright Bluealien,

It's time to answer your questions.

Do you think the writers did a good job with Sheppard over the years....

I think that the writers did a good job with him, without questions, for the first 3 years. After that, I have my critiques here and there. One critique would be that if they were going to turn him into the "Solitary Man" figure that he became, then it would have been nice to have seen how it was happening, instead of the audience having to come up with their own reasons. Something more definitive would have been better (to me). I personally attribute it to his relationship with Teyla, for the most part. By the end of the series, it looked like everyone had someone but him. And, since his heart belongs to Teyla, I think that fact caused him to withdraw more since anyone else would have been someone we was making due with; it wouldn't have been love. And, Shep's older now (early 40's), so fun and play gets tired after awhile. After all he's been through, I think he wanted someone that he could build a life with, he just missed his chance, and that's probably depressing to him. The distance might be the way that it shows.
                      Very true...

I also feel like Shep was more about the team during the first 3 seasons. Then, in seasons 4 and 5 it seemed like everyone was kind of dealing with their own stuff. They were still a team, but a more fractured team - to me. This is just my opinion.
                      I agree...they all seemed very fractured in season four and particulary in season 5 with some exceptions...but I think this just may have been the inconsistant writing unfortunatey and no one really taking ownership of the characters..

Did he remain true to character during the seasons..

Once again, seasons 4-5 were a little different to me. In terms of the character, I felt like I was watching Stargate: The Devolution of John Sheppard at times. I don't like how they made him a little bit on the "horny jock" side during season 5. If they were going to give him a love interest, or even a fling, fine, but stay consistent with the maturity of the character. Again, just my opinion.
                      You mean the Larrin scenes.... I didnt have a problem with him being attracted to Larrin or wanting something with her....the same way I never had a problem with Teyla going to Kanaan... they are both human and need some love and something more intimate as well... neither had made any commitments to the other, so they were free to do what they wanted... my issue with Teyla/Kanaan wasnt that she slept with him but the fact the writers tried to turn it into something more and I never saw it as anything more than 2 friends who became more than friends during a vunerable part in their lives... but Teyla and Kanaan are definity not soul mates, or suited to be together long term..but not everyone we meet is our soul mate and sometimes you just want someone for that moment.... and thats what John wanted with Larrin and I guess Teyla with Kanaan..... Teyla was now out of reach so he wanted something with Larrin .. but again like the way they treated Teyla.. John was treated just a badly when it came to love affairs... he was portrayed like some love sick teenager, rather than a mature man who found someone attractive... the whole tying him up and Larrin strutting around in her leather outfit was a writers fantasy I think, rather than anything John Sheppard would do...

Did the writers explain the changes we saw in John over the years and did they do a good job...

No.
                      Like Teyla John 's character was short changed as well unfortunatley.....

Why do we feel that Teyla was the only woman for John ...

I'm going to go ahead and sound cliché here, but they are soul-mates. They had a spark from the moment they met. They understand and respect each other. I believe that each one of them knows how to give what the other one needs. Whenever Teyla was down, she turned to John. And, John was always for his team, but with Teyla it was always something more...
                      Totally agree..... I saw them as soul mates from the moment they first met...

Did the writers do justice to John and Teyla's "feelings" over the year or do we see it as a mix of confusing signals with no real explanation..

Both are true, to a certain extent. However, the latter is the most true. Teyla and John had feelings that the actors were great at showing when the dialog didn't necessarily indicate much. That could have been built upon, but sadly it wasn't. They are still stuck in a no man's land.
                      Yes they were and I don't think they were ever allowed to find their way out of no mans land...

Was John's transition from easy going quirky fly boy in the early seasons to the grim more serious loner we saw in season five believable..

To a certain extent, yes. But again, where the writers failed (since they decided to go this route) was in "showing" how this transition really took place. Perhaps they think they did, but I certainly don't think so. There have been too many blanks I've had to fill in for myself. I think that this (among other things) is why Shep seems so different, and in some ways it's almost from nowhere, and then as a viewer you have to try to make it make sense..

Again totally agree... hopefully we will get all the blanks filled in with the books....
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rockhound View Post

Happy Birthday Fire!!
                        Thanx Rockhound.

Sigs by sarah_jones on Livejournal.
                        My FanFiction and LiveJournal

Comment

I think thats the reason I'm so looking forward to them as well. I've read some of the novels already available, 1-2 were good and 1-2 weren't I have 3 or 4 just sitting in a cupboard that I haven't read and don't have any motivation to read! But with these, its going to continue the story, it's going to satisfy something that was left in a gaping mess at the end of season 5.
                          What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Great feedback on Blue's questions everyone!

Here's a question I have thought about from time to time.. As was said, the writers going into S4 were planning a huge Telya arc and that Teyla was going to have a very dark story line in S4. When Rachel informed them of her pregnancy, they had to change everything.

What do you think they were planning for Teyla? What kind of story would they put her in.
                            What would they have happen to her?
                            Do you think John and Teyla would have gotten closer had they not had to deal with Rachel's pregnancy?
                            Or would they have just continued with the back and forth that we had between them before? Would Michael have been as involved with Teyla as he was?

Just wondering what your thoughts are....
                            sigpic
                            Sig made by Cazzblade! Thanks!
                            Forever!!

Comment

Rockhound, I felt they were sooo close to acknowledging their feelings at the end of S3 I literally could not see how they didn't get together. So, yeah. I do think that they would have gotten closer without Rachel's pregnancy. Of course, we're talking about tptb for Atlantis, so who knows! They are very short on commitment.

Of course, I'm in deep denial regarding how SGA turned out. TJ is really John's son. He's a product of a drunken, (probably grief filled night) after Lifeline or Doppelganger. And all of my other ships came in.
                              sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Just wanted to let you all know Lea's birthday is comin up aka Scifan's
                                Sig Bye Me and Avi bye Luciana

Comment

Working...
                                X