Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by x Varda x View Post
    It was well worth it though! It's professional and I like the words (you haven't been in one of those threads lately, have you?
    Oooh, thanks! *blushes*

One of "those" threads?

You mean the threads where you're taken to task for not wanting to watch SGU, and your personal reasons for this personal decision are questioned and deemed insufficient or even nonexistant? Where you're told that "SGA is dead, and it was crap anyway, so just get over it"?

Nope, I don't do that anymore. I lurk in the threads about the SGA and the SG-1 movies, but that's it, and even there are things that make my claws come out ( but I sit on my hands and don't get involved, it's not worth the effort, I'm not going to change their minds and they're not going to change mine ).

I wish I remembered who came up with this little "tagline", I don't want to sound like I'm "claiming" it, but I really wanted to use it because it's so fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinah View Post
      Oooh, thanks! *blushes*
      S'okay
      One of "those" threads?

You mean the threads where you're taken to task for not wanting to watch SGU, and your personal reasons for this personal decision are questioned and deemed insufficient or even nonexistant? Where you're told that "SGA is dead, and it was crap anyway, so just get over it"?
      Yep, they're the ones! I only went into one, but there are some downright evil and rude people out there.

Then they have the gall to say that they don't like Rodney! It's a bit rich that their only reason is because they think he's whiny and annoying *hypocritical*

I find his honesty refreshing and very funny. I wouldn't get along with him myself as I take everything to heart and his words are too spikey, but he's great to watch and anyone who doesn't like him doesn't have a sense of humour (or eyes). The fact that DH is so attractive just adds to my liking of Rodney
      McKAY: Hey, I can eat frozen dinners without thawing them. (~Trinity)

Comment

Actually, I've pretty much gotten over the fact that there are people who don't like Rodney, in fact even hate the poor thing and want him dead, probably because I feel that way about another SGA character. I don't want to be guilty of double standards. It's all a matter of opinion and preferences. ( Still, it kind of hurts to read it... )

What I can't accept, though, is if they say something rude about David... or show lack of empathy with other people/fans. Who the heck are they to say that just because I have a computer I can't possibly have any problems and I just have to want to watch a TV-series where a suicide is a bloody selling point! My life, my reasons, my choice of what I want as my escape from reality.

Oh, and I must be a masochist, I was just following a thread about a controversial guest character in SGU ( honest, I have no idea how I manage to come across these things... ) and even there is this "SGA fans are horrible, ungrateful people" thing coming up. And you know what? Brad Wright is actually reading that thread now!

But really, I have no idea why I keep reading all this negative, conflict-ridden stuff ( though thank god I don't get it into my head to actually post there! ). All I really want to do is to talk about and share what I enjoy about Stargate.

Rodney: ... and that would be me, right?

Tinah: Exactly!

Comment

Hi guys, I'm here but... no time to talk gotta go pick up my sister's birthday cake... see ya all when I get back. Nice pic Varda! *snurch*
          sigpic
          Sig by ME.

Comment

I find his honesty refreshing and very funny. I wouldn't get along with him myself as I take everything to heart and his words are too spikey, but he's great to watch and anyone who doesn't like him doesn't have a sense of humour (or eyes). The fact that DH is so attractive just adds to my liking of Rodney
            Weirdly enough, I've never found McKay all that whiny or annoying. Perhaps I expect less to start with as he's not military. And I definitely find him amusing. But then I have a brother and a dad who are both pretty funny/sarcastic guys, so I've plenty of practice dealing with that kind of dry humour. (And it's pretty common when my dad's watching Atlantis and I walk through the room for him to rewind a McKay bit and make me rewatch it - and my dad doesn't chuckle easily!)
            I think - as a card-carrying wuss myself - I also appreciate it when McKay does what needs to be done despite not being a natural action guy, since it helps me to hope that I could do the same myself, if it was necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
              Hi guys, I'm here but... no time to talk gotta go pick up my sister's birthday cake... see ya all when I get back. Nice pic Varda! *snurch*
              Hi and bye!

What pic? Oh, that pic I love it because his...
              are so
              Originally posted by Alder View Post
              I think - as a card-carrying wuss myself - I also appreciate it when McKay does what needs to be done despite not being a natural action guy, since it helps me to hope that I could do the same myself, if it was necessary.
              I think that's what draws me to him so much. He's super intelligent, but underneath it all he's just a normal guy, an everyman if you like, which most people can relate to. Of course his vulnerability due to how ordinary he is (physically) attracts me more... but that makes it whump related, which is for another place His bluster and sarcasm are just the way he deals with the fear of being placed in dangerous situations which require the rest of his team to be military in order to protect him

*Goes off to write some more whump fic*

Comment

I also appreciate it when McKay does what needs to be done despite not being a natural action guy, since it helps me to hope that I could do the same myself, if it was necessary.
                A role model for life!!! if the Anti-McKay guys of "some" threads in this forum, find this post of yours, they'll probably do some bad voodoo things to you.
                Spoiler:
                APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                (YEAR 0 - 100)
                "O thou Sun,
                send me as far over the earth
                as is my pleasure and thine,
                and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
                but never hear anything of bad ones,
                nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Alder and Varda - I totally agree! He's a super genius, but he also has many "not-so-good" sides, he's fully aware of this fact and the fact that his snark is a defense mechanism, and in spite of all of this he manages to overcome it and be a true hero. Yes, I can relate to him in several ways. No other Stargate character has "connected" with me the way he has.

It happened in two steps, actually. The first one was with the Ancient personal shield thingie, when he showed that in spite of his fear and selfish instincts, he truly is a brave man who knows what's the right thing to do when he stops to think about it. The second one was the episode where Peter Grodin died, the look on his face, OMG how can people say he doesn't care about other people?

I like to say that on a good day, I have some of Daniel's good sides, and I always have many of Rodney's bad sides.

OMG, it's actually past midnight now? Gotta go sleep...

Comment

Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
                    A role model for life!!! if the Anti-McKay guys of "some" threads in this forum, find this post of yours, they'll probably do some bad voodoo things to you.
                    That's why this thread is so great! None of them would want to come here, so we're all safe Now that I've said that though...

I do still read the negative threads, but I'll never post there again. It was very upsetting My poor Rodney

Comment

I hated McKay on his first appearance in SG-1 as well...the whole "I always had a thing for dumb blondes..." was such a 'Oh no he didn't!!!' moment.

But then the pianist/teacher in me was completely disarmed by this exchange in his next appearence:

MCKAY: I always wanted to be a pianist.

SAM: Excuse me?

MCKAY: A concert pianist --- you know, a guy who plays the piano (Makes like he's playing the piano) in front of lots of people?

Sam smiles

SAM: ...right.

MCKAY: What did you think I said?

SAM: Never mind.

MCKAY: I had a not-so-comfortable childhood. My Parents hated each other, blamed me. Music was my salvation. It had this...perfect order for me.

SAM: (Smiles) That's nice, really.

MCKAY: When I was 12, my teacher told me to quit. A fine clinical player, he said, but no sense of the art whatsoever.

Aaaaaaaaaaand at that point I wanted to hunt down the Evil Piano Teacher who said something so blinkin' stupid to a a twelve-year-old (I would kill for a 'fine clinical player' of that age, they're kids at that point, with masses of emotional growth still to come) and also wanted to hug McKay.

I don't know who wrote that section, but even the 'music was my salvation. It had this perfect order for me' also rang true, since I'd gone back to the piano when I was about 10 and having a horrible time at school. And I'm particularly drawn to Classical (that's with a capital 'C' meaning the specific time period, Haydn/Mozart/Clementi time) which is just beautifully orderly and I love it.

So...yeah. Did a complete 180 on Rodney McKay, and all in the course of one perfectly written - and for that matter, delivered - speech...

Comment

Woah, ninja'd while I was writing that huge post. Heh, glad people enjoyed my first musing.

Don't worry about me, I can fight off anti-Mckay folk with my trusty laptop and dry wit.

Comment

It upsets me that they can't even face the fact that they're the same old people again and again, SAYING THE SAME OLD THINGS AGAIN AND AGAIN.
                          Also the fact that they just stick to their preferences not of another character, but another "sexy" body or pretty face.

I hated McKay on his first appearance in SG-1 as well...the whole "I always had a thing for dumb blondes..." was such a 'Oh no he didn't!!!' moment.
                          I am "afraid" that this also sounded hilarious to me!!!!!!!!!

The guy "has it", he can make you laugh with a look....lol
                          Spoiler:
                          APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                          (YEAR 0 - 100)
                          "O thou Sun,
                          nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

That's why this thread is so great! None of them would want to come here, so we're all safe Now that I've said that though...

I do still read the negative threads, but I'll never post there again. It was very upsetting My poor Rodney
                            Yup. This thread ( and the Save Atlantis forum ) is the only place where I can say what I feel and not end up in a huge debate and have my posts picked apart. Even though we don't always have the same opinions on non-Rodney subjects ( like slash, or McKeller ) we accept those differences and focus on what we do have in common. This is a little haven for me, where I can curl up comfortably and enjoy the things I like.

You actually read those threads? The "lemon is right" ( a thread title which implies that Rodney should die ) thread? The "did TPTB's focus on Rodney ruin SGA?" thread? *shudders* Yes, I've seen them, but never dared venture into them, not even to read.

Alder - I actually disliked Rodney all through SG-1, and didn't think he was "ok" until "Rising", but then after that I fell for him quickly. Now when I re-watch the SG-1 episodes, I see the first signs of the great character he later grew into. It's interesting really how he wasn't supposed to be on Atlantis at all, it was supposed to be a different character.

Comment

Hi and bye!
                              I'm back but gotta eat dinner now... Eggplant grinder! YUM!

Oooh, love these! Gonna snurch 'em when I have time.
                              Last edited by RodneyIsGodney; 14 August 2009, 03:07 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Sig by ME.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinah View Post
                                You actually read those threads? The "lemon is right" ( a thread title which implies that Rodney should die ) thread? The "did TPTB's focus on Rodney ruin SGA?" thread? *shudders* Yes, I've seen them, but never dared venture into them, not even to read.
                                I did make the mistake to take part in them....Never again.
                                The universe might have limits (you never know) human stupidity has not.....

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
                                I'm back but gotta eat dinner now... Eggplant grinder! YUM!
                                buon apettite!!
                                Spoiler:
                                APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                                (YEAR 0 - 100)
                                "O thou Sun,
                                nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment