Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by watcher652
    Yeah, except it's dead, Jim. No power. It was experimental. I don't think they are ever going to find the re-charger for the device. Nice paperweight, Rodney.
    Ah, perhaps I should have made myself more clear. "Shield" was a euphemism for...well, just look at the pic.

Tryin' to keep it PG.

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
    McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
    Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
    McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Comment

Originally posted by lucylou
      Not many actors go to that length for their fans and to have him do that has just solidified the support that I have for him. He really is deserving of it! I don't even think I asked for a signed photo but I got one and a note too!
      :: nods in agreement :: Yep, if I didn't already love the guy, having him take the time out to reply to fanmail and include a totally unexpected photo.... just wow.

And it does appear that you can still do the online donation in honor of someone on this page

:: still giggling... on the inside. don't want to disturb the coworkers. ::

Comment

For example, although there is plenty of info about hypoglycemia symptoms, I really can't find much on how long someone can go without eating before they start suffering from their symptoms or when they would actually get so bad they would pass out. I realize it's a very personal thing and not everyone manifests all the symptoms. But I would guess there's an average time period.
        Not really, no. It depends on what you're doing and whether your passion masks the symptoms. You might as well call it luck.

Sitting at your desk typing something you don't have to think too hard about, you may not have an attack. Sitting at your desk typing something that requires a great deal of thought or research, after two and a half hours or many more you may suddenly notice you have tremors. Walking around town doing errands, you may keep going until you just happen to have a few minutes in one place and suddenly you need to sit down because you're suddenly feeling weak. Then you need to figure out what you're going to do for food, because you don't want to have to go far for it, you don't want to have to stand waiting for it, and the thought of eating something sweet is slightly nauseating.

By the way, the "irritability" you read about is misleading. When you have to tell somebody three or four times "Later, I have to eat now" because they don't think it applies to them, they call you irritable.

I don't have experience with lengthy life-or-death situations, but my experience with other lengthy high-energy activities has seldom led to hypoglycemia. Guessing here, but the fact most people go eat something after such things probably has a lot to do with it. The hormones probably don't wear off before your blood sugar starts to rise again. Also, there *is* a positive psychosomatic component: If you're really interested in what you're doing (say, touring a city you've never been to), you're riding high even if you don't know it. You can keep going for days or weeks if you're eating at least two or three times a day (and sleeping, of course). The downside is when you stop you will be exhausted (and very hungry) for several days and not up to par mentally or physically for a couple of weeks.

I'm steeling myself for disappointment with "The Seige Part III".
        Last edited by Wordsmit2; 17 May 2005, 07:15 AM.
        Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Spoiler for "The Seige Part II"
          Originally posted by not so ancient
          I noticed that
          Spoiler:
          the whole time he's working on the chair in The Siege II, he doesn't let his P90 be more than an arm's reach away. When he has to get up and go to the console he takes it with him. He's catching on.
          I just thought he was afraid he would misplace it if he didn't keep it with him! Of course, the fact he had it at all is significant.
          Last edited by Wordsmit2; 17 May 2005, 07:12 AM.
          Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmit2
            I wish they would do it realistically--or at least *differently*--but TV never does. It's always the histrionic "X died and God didn't do anything to stop it" rationale.

I'd love it if it is simply that McKay is offended by a personal history of being told asking questions is in this area is bad. ("How dare you ask questions? Who do you think you are?") If it's real, people should be able to study and get to understand it, right?

That said, I like GatetheWay's answer best. Post #1299.
            This is just pure supposition, but since it seems Rodney doesn't have a strong attachment to his family, I guess I just kind of always figured maybe that tied in to his dislike of religion. If he had uber religious parents who were super controlling and didn't nurture his scientific genius because they felt it was against God, then I think that could go a long way to explain a lot about his character. I think it would also tie in with his controlling nature, since I could see someone with a controlled childhood seizing back that control as an adult.

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
            McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
            Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
            McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Comment

Ah, yes, the teapot shot. I'm never going to be able to look at a teapot again without smiling.

Er, totally off topic, I've seen David Duchovny of The X-Files in some photos where he does something similar with a teapot (why do I know these things???).
              I already smile when thinking of teapots (addicted to tea), but I imagine if I find a copy of Joe's Wedding it might create a grin.

Yeah, David Duchovny was in some possibly dodgy stuff wasn't he, at one point in his career? Nothing that bad though...

Oh and did anyone see that Syfyportal has 2005 awards voting - and you can vote for Joe, David & Rachel on SGA and Amanda and Michael on SG1, as well as Ben Browder in PK Wars and some BSG people. You're also allowed to vote once a day for 30 days if you can remember to

http://www.syfyportal.com/genre-awards/2005/index.php

Comment

Did you order the one in the red package? That one has David and Andrew as well as Natali. The one in the green package (the signature series) only has Natali commenting. The green one is the more recent version, so you have to make sure you get the older red one if you want to hear David.
                Glad you mentioned that, I saw a copy of that the other day but didn't buy because I couldn't remember what colour was the best... now I only hope they still have it. Quite weird, I go into one second hand DVD shop looking for SG boxsets (they have none, nooone in the whole of the city - SG fans are too loyal and don't sell them on...) but found Cube & Cypher when I was barely looking, just couldn't afford either at the time, hope they're still there.

Comment

I just had to come on and let yous all know that this man is one of the most adorable and gracious men that I have come across and one who truly deserves all the support that he has on here.

I am sooooooo gobsmacked that David went to all of that trouble for me. It was so sweet and kind of him. Not many actors go to that length for their fans and to have him do that has just solidified the support that I have for him. He really is deserving of it! I don't even think I asked for a signed photo but I got one and a note too!

He really is so lovely and the photo's just gorgeous! Lets hear a yay for David!
                  Wow, that's so amazing and really great of him to take the time to do that. Cool for both of you, strivaria and LucyLou - bet that made your days.

EDIT: looks like he's been answering quite a few bits of fanmail - someone else got a ncie reply too.
                  http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1.../message/16388
                  Last edited by Purpleyin; 17 May 2005, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by strivaria
                    Okay, so I'm checking my mail and find a large picture sized envelope in my mailbox. I'm happy, thinking that I finally got my pictures from the Vancouver con. They've been delayed so far since they can't find my picture with David Nykl. I get in the car and tear it open... and it isn't pictures of me with David, Joe and Michael. At this point my mom, who was unfortunate enough to be talking with me on the cell phone about the logistics of moving back home, was treated to many rather loud fangirlish squeals of glee. It was my reply from DH regarding his charity, accompanied by a signed pic.

So, David's charity would be Doctor's Without Borders.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thunking while I sit here and giggle like an idiot.
                    !!!!
                    You lucky lucky gal you! Glad your work paid off big time!

Doctors without Borders is an excellent charity and I regularly donate to them. Guess I'll add another donation for a belated Bday present.

Comment

Originally posted by starfish
                      Very very very nice. Black just looks so good on David. I think I like this uniform alot better than any other, even if it is very clothey...

Comment

Originally posted by strivaria
                        And it does appear that you can still do the online donation in honor of someone on this page
                        Oh, thanks. I found that page but I totally missed the "in honor" part. I think I was too tired.

But I went home and saw Nothing and perked right up. Too bad it was after 2am when I was done watching it (late worker, I feel so Rodney). And then I just had to make some caps for you all, which made me have to rewatch some of the scenes...

My kind of guy:
                        "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                        Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                        (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

This morning I woke up to a big ole A4 envelope waiting for me downstairs which had Davids name on a sticker on the front. I got so excited and ran into the lounge and tore the envelope open to find a gorgeous signed photo of our favourite actor with a little note for me and it had all been put inside a little cardboard folder for me to keep it safe! I am sooooooo gobsmacked that David went to all of that trouble for me. It was so sweet and kind of him. Not many actors go to that length for their fans and to have him do that has just solidified the support that I have for him. He really is deserving of it! I don't even think I asked for a signed photo but I got one and a note too!

He really is so lovely and the photo's just gorgeous! Lets hear a yay for David!
                          Aw, that's so nice for you! I'm all excited that you received an autographed photo from him. Isn't it the greatest feeling when something unexpected happens like that?

So yes, a big Yay! for David!

My kind of guy:
                          "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                          Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Porthos1013
                            Ah, perhaps I should have made myself more clear. "Shield" was a euphemism for...well, just look at the pic.

Tryin' to keep it PG.
                            Oh. Um, yeah. I'm so clueless sometimes.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Just one more - from the ending credits of Nothing.

You must see this movie!
                              OMG. Way to look like a dweeb, Dave! Heeee. Wouldn't change one molecule of him, but indeed, he is something of dweeb there. But he's OUR dweeb.
                              ~*~*~*~*~*
                              not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Originally posted by Porthos1013
                                Hmmm...methinks we should borrow a game from the Shep thunk thread, and play "find the chest hair." I'll try to find a shot later.
                                Man, what else are they doing on that thread?

Nobody answered my question if these have to be just Rodney shots. Here's one from Joe's Wedding. Not the most revealing from that movie (haha!), but still nice.

OK, you can notice the chest hair but I still go for his lovely eyes and talking hands. And I'm quite fond of his cute nose and expressive mouth, too. Oh, who am I kidding, I like ALL of him!

And you know what? When I was watching Nothing, David was gesturing with his left hand just like Rodney does. So that must be a very David thing, not a Rodney thing.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Working...
                                X