Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ewokmonster View Post
    I'm making a McKay video and I have a quick question, if anyone's around today. I'm starting it off with a clip from The Shrine, the first scene actually. I like it so far, but the clip is almost a minute before the song starts, and then it goes over the song intro about 10-15 more seconds. Does that sound too long? I like it, but I don't want people to get bored before the song even starts. My problem is a) I like it lol and b) I don't know where else to start the clip except at the beginning. And it goes until Jeannie's first line is over. I can't go any farther until I figure this out because if I cut the first clip short later, it will be hard to sync up the song again.

I hope this is enough info, I don't want to give away too much until I'm finished with it.
    This is Fandom and its all about having fun and expressing yourself. So if you like it, that's the most important thing.

That being said, the reality is that using over a minute and a quarter for a single clip is generally considered very long for a vid. (More, spoilered for length) . . .
    Spoiler:
    When you watch vids and count the timing of the cuts (remember one mississippi, two mississippi . . . ) you will generally find the clips are much shorter, on the order of seconds (less than 4-8s), not minutes. 10-15 seconds is a really, really long time in a vid, as vid songs are generally only 3.5 to 4.5 minutes long.

General vidding practice is to change the clip at each line or change of meaning in the lyrics of the song. The frequency of the cuts should also vary with the tempo and mood of the song (faster for faster and upbeat songs, slower for slower and moodier songs). Sometimes you get lucky and a cut in the original clip will match your needed timing, but this is rare.

Unless you are doing something really abstract and artsy, clips are generally selected to match the meaning of the lyrics. Having a full minute of clip before the song even starts may well confuse people who haven't seen the show and bore people who have, depending on your audience.

One way to get around this is to use the full clip, but cut it based on POV, etc., and/or mix another clip into it, to get the scene change frequency that keeps an audience's interest up.

Once again, you should do what seems right to you, but if you are interested in submitting to a con show or something, you probably want to give consideration to the above suggestions, and maybe get some people to give you a beta review, like with fic. There are also vidding LJ and other groups out there that you could link in with and get some different insights as well.
    Have fun!
    Last edited by GateEngineer17; 28 November 2008, 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling trauma

Comment

Has anyone seen Mckays rap?

its kinda old but funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjHroPSOOc
      SGA is cool.

Cancellation is not

Comment

^I saw it around the time he posted it, so funny!

Anygate, another of my fave Rodney fics for you to read, Christmas themed!

It's That Time Again

This story is funny! Read it last year and again just now.
        sigpic
        Sig by ME.

Comment

Originally posted by ellabooray View Post
          Has anyone seen Mckays rap?

its kinda old but funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjHroPSOOc
          Ha! I feel like we should have a collective "YES" we get these posts in here all the time, but thanks for thinking of us anyway.

Comment

I am posting this, some may have come across it some may not have.

jolinar on LJ attended the same con in Brisbane as I did, she has made a report on the "An Audience...." bit, she also has some info I forgot, one really funny thing David said...

http://jolinar.livejournal.com/108444.html

Comment

Originally posted by GateEngineer17 View Post
              This is Fandom and its all about having fun and expressing yourself. So if you like it, that's the most important thing.

That being said, the reality is that using over a minute and a quarter for a single clip is generally considered very long for a vid. (More, spoilered for length) . . .
              Spoiler:
              When you watch vids and count the timing of the cuts (remember one mississippi, two mississippi . . . ) you will generally find the clips are much shorter, on the order of seconds (less than 4-8s), not minutes. 10-15 seconds is a really, really long time in a vid, as vid songs are generally only 3.5 to 4.5 minutes long.

General vidding practice is to change the clip at each line or change of meaning in the lyrics of the song. The frequency of the cuts should also vary with the tempo and mood of the song (faster for faster and upbeat songs, slower for slower and moodier songs). Sometimes you get lucky and a cut in the original clip will match your needed timing, but this is rare.

Unless you are doing something really abstract and artsy, clips are generally selected to match the meaning of the lyrics. Having a full minute of clip before the song even starts may well confuse people who haven't seen the show and bore people who have, depending on your audience.

One way to get around this is to use the full clip, but cut it based on POV, etc., and/or mix another clip into it, to get the scene change frequency that keeps an audience's interest up.

Once again, you should do what seems right to you, but if you are interested in submitting to a con show or something, you probably want to give consideration to the above suggestions, and maybe get some people to give you a beta review, like with fic. There are also vidding LJ and other groups out there that you could link in with and get some different insights as well.
              Have fun!
              Yeah, I've made videos before, and I generally use longer clips anyway in the song. It kinda evolved as my style I guess. :shrug: So I left the long clip at the beginning because ultimately it's for me, and I liked it. This will be my first SGA vid though. I don't know about submitting anything for cons, though it sounds fun after a friend said David (topic!) saw one of her McKay vids. That would be fantastic.
              Furlings, they sound cute. Like Ewoks. --- SG-1

sigpic

sig by Mala50. You rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post

jolinar on LJ attended the same con in Brisbane as I did, she has made a report on the "An Audience...." bit, she also has some info I forgot, one really funny thing David said...

Thunks! Cute stories! I want to meet him too. <SIGH>
                Shelly
                My Photos
                sigpic

Comment

YAY i FINALLY figure out this whole Youtube upload thing! YAY! I is very happy lol ^___^ I really hope David sees my tribute. I posted it as a video reasponce to his most recent vid. I just need promotion for it lol. I guess i can let it be like a Thank you for the b-day message he gave me on my 16th b-day ^^ it is framed and by my bed lol ^___^

Spoiler:

MCSHEP FOREVER!!!!!!!!
                  Sheppard <3's Rodney! YAY! LOLS!
                  Happily floating in Mckay Heaven <3
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ewokmonster View Post
                    Yeah, I've made videos before, and I generally use longer clips anyway in the song. It kinda evolved as my style I guess. :shrug: So I left the long clip at the beginning because ultimately it's for me, and I liked it. This will be my first SGA vid though. I don't know about submitting anything for cons, though it sounds fun after a friend said David (topic!) saw one of her McKay vids. That would be fantastic.
                    See I am probably a rebel in vid making land I see it as a form of art but I am not precious about it either, rules and art are fine but only to a point, you would never have innovation if people didn't break "rules" Also I am totally like you I make them for ME not for others, I like sharing them and seeing what others make of them but ultimately I do if for the love of putting my fave clips to my fave songs and telling a story.

On cons, in Brisbane they had a thing where they screened vids just before they showed ADB, I am not sure David was around at the time, but they showed a McKay centric one and the crowd went nuts! Myself included! LOL It was so cool to watch it in a room with other people, usually I am watching them on my computer by myself.

Comment

That's what I do. I get a kick out of showing them to my friends, but I usually end up watching them by myself over and over again. The only problem is that it's adictive and I'm trying to find a song for another Rodney vid. Usually I let the song give me the idea.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenheart View Post
                        That's what I do. I get a kick out of showing them to my friends, but I usually end up watching them by myself over and over again. The only problem is that it's adictive and I'm trying to find a song for another Rodney vid. Usually I let the song give me the idea.
                        I have three on the go atm (Janto, McShep & a McKay/Hewlett one) but I am getting nowhere fast with all of them mostly time is a problem and my slow computer.

I really want to finish my McKay/Hewlett one before we hit 30,000 posts in here but you guys are posting too fast! I have made vids to celebrate almost all our little milestones here so yeah I don't want to miss this one!

And yeah they are addictive, but then it is a good addiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenheart View Post
                          Same here ^__^

Spoiler:

MCSHEP FOREVER!!!!!!!!
                          Sheppard <3's Rodney! YAY! LOLS!
                          Happily floating in Mckay Heaven <3
                          sigpic

Comment

I have two shippy ideas for one song going right now. Thank you, Bon Jovi.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thunks! Makes want to meet David even more now! Dunno what I'd say to him if I met him tho. I'd be way too shy and nervous to think much less speak! The words starstruck, dumbstruck and awestruck come to mind. Not to mention gobsmacked, speechless and tongue-tied.

Yeah, I've got it bad...
                              Spoiler:
                              I'M ADDICTED TO DAVID HEWLETT!!!

Originally posted by Valaslonglostsister View Post
                              YAY i FINALLY figure out this whole Youtube upload thing! YAY! I is very happy lol ^___^ I really hope David sees my tribute. I posted it as a video reasponce to his most recent vid. I just need promotion for it lol. I guess i can let it be like a Thank you for the b-day message he gave me on my 16th b-day ^^ it is framed and by my bed lol ^___^
                              Oh, that is so cool! He's such a great guy to do that! Is there anyway you could get a pic of it to show us?

*is jealous*

I have three on the go atm (Janto, McShep & a McKay/Hewlett one) but I am getting nowhere fast with all of them mostly time is a problem and my slow computer.

I really want to finish my McKay/Hewlett one before we hit 30,000 posts in here but you guys are posting too fast! I have made vids to celebrate almost all our little milestones here so yeah I don't want to miss this one!

And yeah they are addictive, but then it is a good addiction.
                              David Hewlett is a good addiction!

EDIT: I have a fic rec for you guys... IT'S A MUST READ!

Alisa ...there's more than one McKay on Altantis.
                              Last edited by RodneyIsGodney; 29 November 2008, 07:03 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Sig by ME.

Comment

To Feed the Addiction ladies:
                                I give you a few piccies from Burbank....

sigpic
                                awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

Working...
                                X