Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    I've got another good one: Moliere's Tartuffe. This play would provide days, even weeks of argument and discussion: religion, politics, personal relationships, deception. It would send John scurrying to research topics so he could impress Elizabeth with his knowledge. And she would just smile indulgently and top his every argument. In French. *le sigh* There are even parallels with the Genii and Todd and what all.
    We studied "Tartuffe" at school here. We studied all the plays of Molière.
    And we had to learn a scene. It's very interesting. I totally can see John reading it. I never made parallels with the Genii and Todd but now I will think about it.

Can I add "Dangerous Liaisons" by Laclos for Elizabeth And Hugo, Verlaine, Flaubert (Mme Bovary)?
    I take french books sorry.
    sigpic
    Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
      Do you guys think John would enjoy reading Hemingway?

For some reason I can see them trading Agatha Christie novels. And John would write on a random page in the middle of the book who did it.
      Completely on the Hemingway. John at the end essentially IS The Old Man and the Sea.
      Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
        Guess it's been a busy couple of weeks for everyone. I was spray painting tennis balls metallic silver last night.

So when the forum shut down yesterday I had come up with the ultimate way to pay for the SGA "Rescue Elizabeth!" movie, but apparently my post didn't take. I completely forgot I had this, but WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY back when I owned/worked for an HP fansite, we contacted Robert Pattinson about doing an interview for his role in GOF. Of course, the poor boy was an unknown at the time.

Never heard back from his agents, but about 5 months after Goblet of Fire came out, I get this letter via airmail from England. Inside is a hand-signed picture of Robert walking by a river somewhere in the UK. It's not an HP picture and it's not addressed to me, but it is an authentic signature. At the time I was like 'huh?' because I'm not a huge 'memorabilia' person.

So...considering now all the Twi-hards out there, I'm thinking 50, 60 million at least? Whatcha think??
        DOOOOO IIIIIIIITTTTT!!!!!!!!

You'd make a killing off it!

Hey, don't forget - maybe it sparkles
        *dies laughing*

So both these ships have hair issues. LOL I know little about Twilight except that it makes me cringe. I even tried watching the new show Vampire Dairies but when
        Spoiler:
        the vamp started writing in his diary they lost me.
        I read the Vampire Diaries books back when they came out in the early 90s.
        Spoiler:
        The TV series totally pisses on what was established in the books. I was so not impressed.

It's not you (it's me). I guess someone felt I shouldn't have said Teyla isn't a type to cheat on a man she has a baby with, so I got reported and modded. Really, i don't see any of the SGA characters doing that, including John and Elizabeth, but first and foremost John - and I hope it's a safe thing to say here. This is a discussion thread after all.

Edit: I am your designated bad girl. It's official now, lol.
        You were modded for supporting canon? WTF?

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
        I can totally see Elizabeth having the full collection of the Little House on the Prairie books set aside for their little girl to read when she's old enough...don't ask me why, I just do. Classic, sweet stories full of family and adventure and all that good stuff....
        *squees* I can totally see that!

And for John I see Tom Sawyer, Red Badge of Courage, Call of the Wild, and in keeping with the space theme, A Princess of Mars. He would also have read biographies of sports heroes and historical heroes like George Washington and Abe Lincoln. I could go on all day. *takes off teacher hat*
        *flails at all the adventure stories* 'Cause yeah, he totally would. As well as knowing every line of every Indiana Jones movie.

I bet he'd read Austen just to tease her, and maybe when she's preggers and hormonal?

Oh, The Scarlett Letter. Definitely yes.
        He so would, the naughty boy! Maybe while she's relaxing with a bubble bath.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
        Completely on the Hemingway. John at the end essentially IS The Old Man and the Sea.
        LOL!
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Hello sparkies I've fallen behind. Anuna my fellow Croat, eight hours is an easy workday! We call those "eight and skate". We normally do twelve hour shifts. But we get four days off after though.

Hmm, books... I can see Lizzie liking alot of the stuff already mentioned. Shep, I see him liking "Gates of Fire" (about Thermopylae), "The Iliad", "The Odyssey", and a closet Swift and Pope fan. Heh, I can imagine Shep and Lizzie debating Swift, Pope, and Lady Mary Wortley Montague. Perhaps even a comment or two about the John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester and Aphra Behn. I don't know if Shep would like Hemingway. I lean toward yes, because they both look to the past for proof they did anything of worth. Shep probably has trouble seeing all the good he is doing at the moment.
          "I only understand about 1% of what she says half of the time."

Comment

For some reason I can see them trading Agatha Christie novels. And John would write on a random page in the middle of the book who did it.
            I'm with you on the Hemingway. It's short. It's easy to read. What's not to like?

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
            I can SO see him doing that!

*sigh* *realizes that she has very unsophisticated reading interests* I haven't read half of the authors you guys have mentioned (I've heard of 'em...but not read 'em)
            Consider yourself lucky on some of them. I'm not a lit snob. I think most "classical" literature is just boring and now that I'm not in school you couldn't get me to read it with a gun to my head. However, I hate badly written fic. I'm looking at you Stephenie Meyer. I think Stephen King is an excellent writer. He can just make you feel what's going on. But most modern best selling authors are not so talented.

John would want to impress Elizabeth with his taste in literature but would soon tire of it and hide Stephen King under the bed. LOL

And SK, Anuna did indeed get modded for supporting canon which for some strange reason was considered "debate" in a non-debate thread. Even though a lot of posts in that thread contains some sort of statement in support of a ship. Several even point out that their ship is better than another. It's a puzzlement.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

There are some advantages to rainy stormy weather. Didn't have to go to school today, and I don't have to go tomorrow. *does a little happy dance* Instead I got to stay home and work on Chap. 1 of Isn't Supposed to Be.

I wonder if John would go for the scary stuff since he seems to like scaring little kids.

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Bram Stoker's Dracula or something less common like H.G. Wells's The Island of Dr. Moreau. And let's not forget Ray Bradbury.

If Elizabeth wanted to send a shiver up her spine that was not John induced, she might reach for Shirley Jackson. I remember The Lottery giving me a little tingle.
              Ooo, we read that in school last year. Veeerry weird.

Hmmm, I think he probably would. I'm reading For Whom the Bell Tolls right now (we've got a book club at school). Not my favorite, but I can see him reading it or ones similar.

Oh, that definitely sounds like something he would do!

And as for John and Liz reading to their kids, I can picture it being like the end of 'The Mask of Zorro', the one with Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta Jones. John would be telling the baby all these stories about adventures and would be getting really into it and sort of act it out, and Liz would just be standing at the doorway smiling and then make some sort of teasing comment about it. Ah, here it is! Start at 1:50. End of Zorro. Something kinda like that.
              sigpic
              Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

so what is this talk about John Reading what books?

Comment

I'm with you on the Hemingway. It's short. It's easy to read. What's not to like?

Consider yourself lucky on some of them. I'm not a lit snob. I think most "classical" literature is just boring and now that I'm not in school you couldn't get me to read it with a gun to my head. However, I hate badly written fic. I'm looking at you Stephenie Meyer. I think Stephen King is an excellent writer. He can just make you feel what's going on. But most modern best selling authors are not so talented.

John would want to impress Elizabeth with his taste in literature but would soon tire of it and hide Stephen King under the bed. LOL

And SK, Anuna did indeed get modded for supporting canon which for some strange reason was considered "debate" in a non-debate thread. Even though a lot of posts in that thread contains some sort of statement in support of a ship. Several even point out that their ship is better than another. It's a puzzlement.
                  ITA...and I definitely lean more toward Stephen King, Dean Koontz, RL Stine....

And I can see John having a "secret stash" of less "classic" books....lol
                  My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                    so what is this talk about John Reading what books?
                    What books do you think John and Elizabeth would read or read to their kids?
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

What books do you think John and Elizabeth would read or read to their kids?
                      damn! Tough Question Let me Think well I'm Sure during their free time John probably books like War and Peace, A Tale of Two Cities....Books like that but for Elizabeth She Probably Read Romantic Novels. I can't think of any off the top of my head but this is my two cents worth.

Comment

Helloooooo guys? Anyone here?
                        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

nobody here but us Sparky Shippers!

Comment

Hey 'Nuna! I'm here-ish...

rewatching The Siege III....the scene...you know the one...takes my breath away every freakin' time I see it....I love how much they can communicate without saying a single word!

oh...another good song...When You Say Nothing At All - Allison Krauss *goes in search of that list*
                            My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                            sigpic

Comment

speaking of songs i noticed that nobody hasn't posted a new sparky vid on you tube in oh quite some time. 1 more post until 1500!

Comment

i finally made it to 1,500 woo! yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X