Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
    Hey guys. I'm sorry for disappearing on you all, I had to leave urgently. My grandma died, and I had to go to Bosnia. I'm back now. *huggles you all*
    I'm so sorry... You shouldn't have to apologize for that. *hugs*
    rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

((hugs back)) thank you.
      I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Hey guys. I'm sorry for disappearing on you all, I had to leave urgently. My grandma died, and I had to go to Bosnia. I'm back now. *huggles you all*
        I'm sorry. Prayers and best wishes to you and your family. *HUGS*
        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Dittoes. Prayers and lots of hugs from me too. I haven't been around much and I don't have a good excuse.
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Vengeance Discussion Questions

1) This is the 'penultimate' or 'next to last' episode of Season 3. Do you think it served well as a penultimate episode, or would you have preferred a two part cliffhanger, as we had in S1?

Considering what it led up to, I'd like to say it should have been a 2-parter with the Michael story continuing in Pt.2. But it was a good episode as it was and left the Michael arc to continue in S4.

2) Vengeance seemed to have been developed as a true action-based horror adventure, with a 'Resident Evil' or 'Silent Hill' feel. Did you think it came out that way?

More Aliens but not as good. The atmosphere was good but the creatures were lacking.

3) Vengeance brings back Michael. How did you feel about seeing him again? Was he an effective villain? Did this story suit him?

I always liked Michael. I liked the moral ambiguity of his story and the dark direction it took John and Elizabeth and especially Carson. Connor did a great job acting progressively crazier and crazier. And I was hoping for more of the Michael/Teyla story. I think they dropped the ball on that one in S4-5.

4) How did you feel about the Super Wraith? Would you have liked to have seen more of this enemy?

Not as they were but I would have liked to have learned more about how Michael developed them. Our next glimpse of them was the hybrids in S&R unless you count clone!Carson, which I don't. We should have learned more about how they were made and how they thought etc. All we got was Kanaan magically appearing as his old self which we had never met before. Very poor character development.

5) Vengeance makes the Taranans--the race saved by Atlantis in Season 2's penultimate episode, Inferno--as the victims here. Why do you think Carl Binder chose them? And how did you feel about having the victims be a race of people you were familiar with, rather than a random group as some other stories have done? Are you sorry they were all killed? (Funny sidebar: Binder wrote both Inferno and Michael--does that have something to do with it?)

They were handy and we could relate somewhat to them. It supposedly made their death have more of an impact but I'm not sure it worked since we didn't see them in Vengeance except as a pile of dead dummies bodies. I kept looking for the hot blonde scientist in the pile. Sick? Why yes, yes I am.

6) Michael tells Teyla that because he no longer fits in anywhere, he's going to find his own place to fit in--and he blames Atlantis for any deaths that occur at his hands. Do you think he is justified in feeling this? Was Teyla justified in telling Michael he and the other transformed Wraith deserved to die in Misbegotten?

He's not justified because he's a loon. I suspect he may have been crazy a bit before he got changed. He's bitter, and rightfully so, but 2 wrongs and all that. He could have stayed human and all would have been sort of well. Bitterness and anger will destroy you and make you do things you ordinarily would never have thought of. I don't know if I'd say Teyla was justified. I can understand her anger. Later on she has even more reason to hate him. I think her relationship with Michael shows more of her human side than we get to see otherwise. She's always the voice of calm and reason until Michael is involved. She feels betrayed by him as he does her because she befriended him in Michael and honestly tried to help him. Then he repaid her by kidnapping her, putting an iratus bug on her and doing God knows what else to threaten her unborn child. Not to mention kidnapping the man she loves. That's Kanaan in case anyone lurking here is wondering.

7) There are two interesting scenes in Vengeance that say a lot about characters. In the first, Ronon argues with John about killing Michael. Breaking this down:

a) Who's choice of action do you agree with here--Ronon's (kill on site) or John's (set your gun to stun)?

Ronon definitely. He's been right all along.

b) Did you like Ronon taking the stand here and debating the ethics of a mistake made by Atlantis? OOC or in character?

In character and long overdue. Ronon can only keep quiet out of gratitude and loyalty for so long. This was his last straw.

c) Why is it that John still seems to be trying to justify Michael's creation?

Because, John like, he takes responsibility for it. He didn't do anything to stop it even though his doubt was written all over his face in Michael. He let Carson's scientific knowledge trump his common sense.

8) The second scene is John's confrontation with Michael. Breaking this down:

a) Were you surprised at John's hesitancy to shoot Michael, despite knowing he's committed mass murder?

No, Michael was someone he knew personally and he felt partly responsible for his creation. John is a rebel himself and though he's in no way like Michael, he understands anger and bucking the established order of authority. John did what a soldier has to do to save lives. I wouldn't exactly call it murder.

b) Do you think Michael has a desire to die?

On some level, probably but he's going to take as many people that he hates with him as possible.

c) Is John as tough as we've been led to believe? How does this contrast with his rampage in The Eye? Can you reconcile the two perspectives of him we've seen?

John is physically tough but is goo inside when it pertains to those he cares about. Kolya's rampage in The Eye became personal when he threatened to kill Elizabeth. Then when John actually thought he had done so he completely lost his cool and threatened to kill him. When have we ever seen him just go nuts like that? He's always able to think under pressure and figure out a way to save everybody even if all he can think of is sacrificing himself. But in that case he felt completely helpless.

9) Unlike some other 'stand-alone' episodes, Vengeance gives us a few scenes of ethical debate as a wrap up. Did you appreciate this addition? Was it needed?

It was needed in that we had to look at what our heroes had done to create this mess in the first place. It gave viewers something to continue the conversation. It also gave us a neat bit of foreshadowing.

10) This is an episode penned by our old friend Carl Binder. How does it work for you? What does it add to his abilities as an SGA writer, based on what you remember of what else he's done?

At this point they are all running together. I know Carl is the best writer for both Elizabeth and Sparky. Both were obvious here and she looked like a decisive leader. John also was strong. It was very evenhanded with all the characters I think and there wasn't an over abundance of McKay.

Sparky bonus:

a) What did you think of the first scene, with John and Elizabeth finishing each other's sentences? How did that rate on your Spark-o-meter?

That is one of my all time favorite Sparky scenes. From nerdy befuddled Rodney to snarky John to the tag team of Sparky, it was just golden.

b) Binder keeps Elizabeth to the back in this episode--but what Sparky moments did you pick up on in Vengeance, even if it wasn't blatant?

Well the first scene obviously. The body language was just so "we just got interrupted in a storage closet and had to hurry in here". It was like a neon sign.

Another time is this "they are so very married" bit:

WEIR: I’m sending in back-up.

DEX: We can handle it.

WEIR: I know you can handle it, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. I’ll send in a team of marines to assist you.

SHEPPARD: Alright. If you feel the need.

WEIR: I feel the need. Weir out.

c) How does the final scene work for you?

Works great. Back to the usual close, quiet voices dual leadership thing.

Super fun Sparky bonus!!

d) Let's pretend that Carl is always looking for a way to subliminally prod Sparky along. Where can you see subconscious hints of Sparky in Vengeance? Have fun with this one!!!

Well, yeah, as I mentioned above the phone convo. John and Elizabeth's tone of voice sounds so like a married couple. He thinks she worries too much and she doesn't care what he thinks. My husband and I have a convo like that every day. "Put some antibiotic cream on that cut." "If you insist." "I insist." They sounded just like that.

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              This is a subject we've touched on a few times here... There's a thread on What do you wish they would have done on Stargate Atlantis before it ended?

And here's my answer. Have a look, then if you like, post the things you would have liked to see in Season 6 and beyond.
              Here's a little preview of how I would have brought Lizzie back. Now I love our ship, so don't take this badly and kick me out of the thread. I'm just taking it in a different direction.

Spoiler:

Jonathan Sheppard could feel himself beginning to break. The probing of his mind was cracking his will by bringing all the pain he tried to bury back into his thoughts. But the torture was not the most painful part. The worst pain was seeing his captor's face and hearing her words driven by bitterness.

"Why are you doing this?" John asked as his tormentor approached.

"Because John," she grabbed Sheppard's chin and looked him in the eye, "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned."

"Elizabeth..." was all John could say before Elizabeth's hand entered his head.
              "I only understand about 1% of what she says half of the time."

Comment

*huggles Anuna* I am so sorry to hear about your grandma, and you know my thoughts are with you and your family. *more huggles*
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Vixen in Violet View Post
                  Hola, Sparkies. I'm just wondering, do we have an annual ship day like the Sam/Jack shippers do on their appreciation thread? That would really motivate people to write fic, make artwork, vids, etc.
                  Actually, we have a monthly day, the 18th. Chosen because The Real World (with it's oh-so-Sparky scenes of John talking to Lizzie in the coma, breaking quarantine to snap Lizzie out of the coma, Lizzie seeing John in her nightmare world trying to reach her... *sighs*) first aired on August 18, 2006.

I hope you don't mind.. I quoted your answer and added one more point of my own - since I really liked your ideas and I haven't yet thought long and hard about what I would have liked to see differently. All I know is that I wish Elizabeth were still there. That would have been good enough for me, methinks.
                  Heh, there are a lot of people over there that are saying that they'd want Elizabeth back. I'm loving it! TPTW, are you listening?

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
                  Here's a little preview of how I would have brought Lizzie back. Now I love our ship, so don't take this badly and kick me out of the thread. I'm just taking it in a different direction.

Spoiler:

Jonathan Sheppard could feel himself beginning to break. The probing of his mind was cracking his will by bringing all the pain he tried to bury back into his thoughts. But the torture was not the most painful part. The worst pain was seeing his captor's face and hearing her words driven by bitterness.

"Why are you doing this?" John asked as his tormentor approached.

"Because John," she grabbed Sheppard's chin and looked him in the eye, "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned."

"Elizabeth..." was all John could say before Elizabeth's hand entered his head.
                  Ohhh, I don't think you have to worry about getting kicked off the thread for writing that.
                  Spoiler:
                  After that shocker cameo appearance at the end of Be All My Sins Remember'd, a lot of us were squeeing our heads off at the prospect of seeing a potentially (but hopefully temporary) evil Weir, maybe who had been so mangled by the Replicators that she was bitter and pissed off that Atlantis never tried to rescue her after Lifeline. 'Cause a leather-clad Lizzie with an axe to grind and taking it out on Shep in an angsty love fest? That's hot. (Whereas, when Larrin tried to pull the whole leather-clad dominatrix thing with Shep, it was totally, like, not hot.)
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Actually, we have a monthly day, the 18th. Chosen because The Real World (with it's oh-so-Sparky scenes of John talking to Lizzie in the coma, breaking quarantine to snap Lizzie out of the coma, Lizzie seeing John in her nightmare world trying to reach her... *sighs*) first aired on August 18, 2006.

Heh, there are a lot of people over there that are saying that they'd want Elizabeth back. I'm loving it! TPTW, are you listening?

Ohhh, I don't think you have to worry about getting kicked off the thread for writing that.
                    Spoiler:
                    After that shocker cameo appearance at the end of Be All My Sins Remember'd, a lot of us were squeeing our heads off at the prospect of seeing a potentially (but hopefully temporary) evil Weir, maybe who had been so mangled by the Replicators that she was bitter and pissed off that Atlantis never tried to rescue her after Lifeline. 'Cause a leather-clad Lizzie with an axe to grind and taking it out on Shep in an angsty love fest? That's hot. (Whereas, when Larrin tried to pull the whole leather-clad dominatrix thing with Shep, it was totally, like, not hot.)
                    Oh, that's tomorrow. O: I don't have anything prepared for it, lol. But that's a nice reason for an anniversary. *cotemplates watching The Real World for the upteenth time*

Yeah, that really surprised me, actually. Everyone's saying that killing off Elizabeth was the biggest mistake - which it totally was - and that the show wasn't as good without her. TPTB should really read threads like those. They might learn a thing or two.
                    rest easy now

sigpic

// tumblr //

Comment

Spoiler:
                      Second that...

Spoiler:
                      I totally would have gone for a (temporary) Evil Lizzie. Especially because

1) Torri would have pulled it off beautifully, especially with the stares she could give

2) John would have suffered. ANGST CENTRAL. It would have been glorious.

Though I would never had had Elizabeth do it consciously. For me, it would have been evil Niam replicator nanites having taken her over (as he tried to do in The Real World) and controlling her mind. She would have had to be broken of their control--which, of course in paralleling TRW, only John could help her do.

But the awesomeness of Evil!Elizabeth attacking the Atlantis crew, and then the big, awesome ending of them either having to decide to destroy her or save her, and of course Woolsey makes the difficult decision of having to fire on her and John just can't let that happen, so he defies orders and finds a way on and confronts her and she suffers as the real Elizabeth tries to break through and can't let the evil nanites controlling her hurt John and eventually he succeeds in getting to her and she breaks free of the nanite control and they run to get off the ship before it explodes in exact parallelism to the ending scene of Lifeline only this time she's with them and...

*BREAAAAAAAAATHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS*

It would have been awesome. *cries*

Oh, that's tomorrow. O: I don't have anything prepared for it, lol. But that's a nice reason for an anniversary. *cotemplates watching The Real World for the upteenth time*

Yeah, that really surprised me, actually. Everyone's saying that killing off Elizabeth was the biggest mistake - which it totally was - and that the show wasn't as good without her. TPTB should really read threads like those. They might learn a thing or two.
                      What's surprised me is a couple of people actually said that they would have liked to have seen Elizabeth and John get together, and they're people I've never seen around the Sparky forum. Guess it does run a little deeper.

But yeah, the amount of people who wished Elizabeth back doesn't actually surprise me, given the opinions that have filtered down since GITM. As SR and I have mentioned before, I think a number of people who either didn't really care or thought she might have been a weak character, now, in retrospect, realize how much she made Atlantis Atlantis. It's not necessarily a huge jump from 'I never liked her at all' to 'she was the BEST CHARACTER EVAH!! but more of a 'you know, going back and watching S1 & S2, I realize how much I actually DID enjoy Weir as leader. And how she interacted with everyone, and how the other characters treated her, etc. The little things she did to make it fun to watch.

I just went back and watched the Siege series and Elizabeth rocked there. Apart from the Sparky stuff. She was just such a tough cookie and yet everyone accomodated her, not because she was the super!Witch who made them, but because she had this wonderful cross of strength and understanding. It was written, and portrayed, as the crew doing it for her because they liked her and because she was wholly dedicated to them.

Just today, I had new appreciation for the scene where she walks down to stand by John and tell him they'd find Ford. Not just for Sparky, but on the level of a woman who cares about this guy she's standing next to and wants to find a way to comfort him, because she knows he's hurting. As she would do for others in her expedition. Really, Elizabeth was one of the few in SGA who was built for that kind of role, and I loved her for it.

Hindsight... *sigh* Too bad for all the SEW people and Weir supporters and stuff. We could have used those voices then...

KITTY...I DID THOSE QUESTIONS FOR YOU...
                      Last edited by Eri13; 17 August 2009, 03:37 PM.
                      Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Hmm, that little bit was my plan for the "epic" I was thinking of writing. I'm debating about writing it, because my work rotations are weird (7 on and 2 off with a long weekend every third rotation) and it would take a very long time. Since you dig the outlines here what's floating in the brain.

1.) Todd (just because he's cool) contacts Atlantis about a new powerful Wraith alliance.
                        2.) Say Lorne (just because he's extra eye candy for y'all gals) and his team spot Lizzie with some Wraith.
                        3.) Uber protective/loyal/suicidal/love sick Shep goes after Lizzie
                        4.) Leather clad Lizzie springs a mean surprise on Shep.
                        5.) Happy or sad ending, but I'm leaning toward sad. Then there's the always ambiguous "Leave it to the reader's interpretation ending."

I might and a big might have some sparky reading material later that night. It will probably end up going with your Aug. 19th morning coffee.

About "killing" Lizzie, even my friends who weren't big on Weir thought that move was pointless. The big thing was it seemed like the 1920's Carnegie steel machine canning a good, loyal worker just because they didn't tow the line. The show didn't get better, and I agree it slipped in season 4. Season 5 had some bright spots and looked like it might bounce back, but we'll never know.
                        "I only understand about 1% of what she says half of the time."

Comment

Hmm, that little bit was my plan for the "epic" I was thinking of writing. I'm debating about writing it, because my work rotations are weird (7 on and 2 off with a long weekend every third rotation) and it would take a very long time. Since you dig the outlines here what's floating in the brain.

1.) Todd (just because he's cool) contacts Atlantis about a new powerful Wraith alliance.
                          2.) Say Lorne (just because he's extra eye candy for y'all gals) and his team spot Lizzie with some Wraith.
                          5.) Happy or sad ending, but I'm leaning toward sad. Then there's the always ambiguous "Leave it to the reader's interpretation ending."

I might and a big might have some sparky reading material later that night. It will probably end up going with your Aug. 19th morning coffee.

About "killing" Lizzie, even my friends who weren't big on Weir thought that move was pointless. The big thing was it seemed like the 1920's Carnegie steel machine canning a good, loyal worker just because they didn't tow the line. The show didn't get better, and I agree it slipped in season 4. Season 5 had some bright spots and looked like it might bounce back, but we'll never know.
                          See how awesome outlines are? Do it do it DO IT!! *wants to read*

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                          Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                          Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                            Second that...

Spoiler:

1) Torri would have pulled it off beautifully, especially with the stares she could give

Though I would never had had Elizabeth do it consciously. For me, it would have been evil Niam replicator nanites having taken her over (as he tried to do in The Real World) and controlling her mind. She would have had to be broken of their control--which, of course in paralleling TRW, only John could help her do.

But the awesomeness of Evil!Elizabeth attacking the Atlantis crew, and then the big, awesome ending of them either having to decide to destroy her or save her, and of course Woolsey makes the difficult decision of having to fire on her and John just can't let that happen, so he defies orders and finds a way on and confronts her and she suffers as the real Elizabeth tries to break through and can't let the evil nanites controlling her hurt John and eventually he succeeds in getting to her and she breaks free of the nanite control and they run to get off the ship before it explodes in exact parallelism to the ending scene of Lifeline only this time she's with them and...

What's surprised me is a couple of people actually said that they would have liked to have seen Elizabeth and John get together, and they're people I've never seen around the Sparky forum. Guess it does run a little deeper.

But yeah, the amount of people who wished Elizabeth back doesn't actually surprise me, given the opinions that have filtered down since GITM. As SR and I have mentioned before, I think a number of people who either didn't really care or thought she might have been a weak character, now, in retrospect, realize how much she made Atlantis Atlantis. It's not necessarily a huge jump from 'I never liked her at all' to 'she was the BEST CHARACTER EVAH!! but more of a 'you know, going back and watching S1 & S2, I realize how much I actually DID enjoy Weir as leader. And how she interacted with everyone, and how the other characters treated her, etc. The little things she did to make it fun to watch.

I just went back and watched the Siege series and Elizabeth rocked there. Apart from the Sparky stuff. She was just such a tough cookie and yet everyone accomodated her, not because she was the super!Witch who made them, but because she had this wonderful cross of strength and understanding. It was written, and portrayed, as the crew doing it for her because they liked her and because she was wholly dedicated to them.

Just today, I had new appreciation for the scene where she walks down to stand by John and tell him they'd find Ford. Not just for Sparky, but on the level of a woman who cares about this guy she's standing next to and wants to find a way to comfort him, because she knows he's hurting. As she would do for others in her expedition. Really, Elizabeth was one of the few in SGA who was built for that kind of role, and I loved her for it.

Hindsight... *sigh* Too bad for all the SEW people and Weir supporters and stuff. We could have used those voices then...

Couldn't agree more. Comparing seasons 4 and 5 with the first three really highlights the importance of her role and relationship with everyone. I can't think of much more to add to what you've said, as you said it so well.

I like your outline. And YAY for including Lorne.

If you do write anything later, I look forward to reading it. *nod nod*

Agreed. I've seen plenty of people who didn't really care about Elizabeth saying that it was a waste to get rid of her character. See, TPTB?!
                            rest easy now

sigpic

// tumblr //

Comment

Second that...

Spoiler:

*runs around in circles screaming* That's so damn cool! I would've fraking KILLED to see that! DAMN YOU, TPTW!!!!

Then again, given how TPTW don't value the fans' opinions on other subjects, more voices in favor of keeping Weir probably wouldn't have changed TPTW's minds anyway.

Still, though. Every voice that does speak up, no matter how late, is one more voice that is now wary of TPTW's motives and cautious of trusting anything they have to say or do with regards to anything in Stargate's future. Vote of no confidence. Game over.

Heh! Working on it! I got pulled away again this afternoon before I could spend some quality time with the questions. But now I'm back, and I can.

No more sad or even ambiguous endings, please. TPTW have screwed that up so much already that I don't think our poor little broken hearts can take any more. *hopeful look*

Comment

All right! Vengeance Q&A!

1) This is the 'penultimate' or 'next to last' episode of Season 3. Do you think it served well as a penultimate episode, or would you have preferred a two part cliffhanger, as we had in S1?

I think it served very well. It's not always necessary to do a 2-3 part episode in one shot, and as SR mentioned, it did leave things open to seeing the continuation of Michael's plans in S4 and 5.

2) Vengeance seemed to have been developed as a true action-based horror adventure, with a 'Resident Evil' or 'Silent Hill' feel. Did you think it came out that way?

Definitely got the horror vibe, more in the creepy look to the setting and the tension in the team as they search the settlement, not knowing what's lurking around the corner. SR's comparison to Aliens is right on the money. The creature itself though was a bit of a bust; too slow, too rubbery and fake. But then, I guess I'm kind of a snob when it comes to good special effects.

3) Vengeance brings back Michael. How did you feel about seeing him again? Was he an effective villain? Did this story suit him?

Michael was awesome. His twisted plans for galactic domination as revenge against those who wronged him, both human and Wraith, was chilling and thought-provoking, and I wanted more. Frankly, I wish they had run with the Michael storyline as the main bad guy arc for Season 4 instead of the Replicator crap.

4) How did you feel about the Super Wraith? Would you have liked to have seen more of this enemy?

I thought the Super Wraith idea was good, just poorly executed (again, the suits killed it for me). I do wish we'd seen more of how they figured into Michael's research into creating the hybrids we eventually saw in Seasons 4 and 5.

5) Vengeance makes the Taranans--the race saved by Atlantis in Season 2's penultimate episode, Inferno--as the victims here. Why do you think Carl Binder chose them? And how did you feel about having the victims be a race of people you were familiar with, rather than a random group as some other stories have done? Are you sorry they were all killed? (Funny sidebar: Binder wrote both Inferno and Michael--does that have something to do with it?)

I think choosing the Taranans as the victims worked well. They weren't some random race created just for this episode for the sole purpose of being killed off. We knew them already, so in coming back a year later to find out they're all dead creates this shocking little 'Oh s**t, what the hell happened?' moment for the viewers.

And yeah, I was so looking for the blonde scientist chick's body, too. *evil grin*

6) Michael tells Teyla that because he no longer fits in anywhere, he's going to find his own place to fit in--and he blames Atlantis for any deaths that occur at his hands. Do you think he is justified in feeling this? Was Teyla justified in telling Michael he and the other transformed Wraith deserved to die in Misbegotten?

I don't think either one of them are justified. Yes, Michael got screwed over, but going out to kill all humans and Wraith wouldn't have erased what happened to him. And yeah, Teyla's lost friends and family to the Wraith, but for her to suddenly do a 180 and want Michael dead a year after she tried to help him seems rather odd. She didn't have a problem with reaching out to him during Michael, knowing that he had probably killed untold innocents before the retrovirus was used on him. If she was truly so compassionate, wouldn't she have tried to reach out to him again, to say 'I know you've done wrong, but I know you can be better than this'? But she didn't. Was her compassion an act all along?

7) There are two interesting scenes in Vengeance that say a lot about characters. In the first, Ronon argues with John about killing Michael. Breaking this down:

a) Who's choice of action do you agree with here--Ronon's (kill on site) or John's (set your gun to stun)?
                                b) Did you like Ronon taking the stand here and debating the ethics of a mistake made by Atlantis? OOC or in character?
                                c) Why is it that John still seems to be trying to justify Michael's creation?

Ronon was right in Michael, and he's right here. The plan was a bad idea from the start, and I liked that it was Ronon who questioned the ethics behind the Michael experiment. Once again, it shows that Ronon is not just some dumb grunt barbarian, but rather an intelligent, thoughtful man with his own set of ethics and who will do what he thinks is best, even if that's going against his friends.

John... I think, like SR said, he knows he's responsible for letting the experiment go forward, instead of speaking out more strongly against it. Kind of an interesting parallel when you think about how he also did not speak out against the attack plan in First Strike, only to once again regret his silence later when everything goes to hell.

8) The second scene is John's confrontation with Michael. Breaking this down:

a) Were you surprised at John's hesitancy to shoot Michael, despite knowing he's committed mass murder?

Not at all. Again, he feels responsible for Michael's creation, and thus he knows that he also bears some of the responsibility for what Michael did to the Taranans and to Michael's later victims.

b) Do you think Michael has a desire to die?

Die and take as many of his enemies with him as he can? You betcha. But only as a last resort. I think Michael would prefer to live so that he could properly savor his victory.

b) Is John as tough as we've been led to believe? How does this contrast with his rampage in The Eye? Can you reconcile the two perspectives of him we've seen?

He's tough, but he has his weaknesses. In The Eye, the threat against Elizabeth and her presumed death galvanized him into action against Kolya and the Genii. But in Vengeance, I think his feelings of responsibility might have frozen him a bit.

9) Unlike some other 'stand-alone' episodes, Vengeance gives us a few scenes of ethical debate as a wrap up. Did you appreciate this addition? Was it needed?

Given the subject matter, it was a very necessary coda.

10) This is an episode penned by our old friend Carl Binder. How does it work for you? What does it add to his abilities as an SGA writer, based on what you remember of what else he's done?

It bears repeating: In Binder We Trust. He's had a couple of clunkers (Irresistible and Ghost in the Machine), though admittedly, the problem was not really his writing but more the flawed nature of the story ideas themselves, which he did not create. And even then, he still managed to spin straw into gold in GitM with the scenes that JoeF grabbed in his teeth and ran with. As for Vengeance, Binder took an interesting story idea and spun it into an episode that introduced a fascinating, if flawed by future developments, story arc.

Sparky bonus:

a) What did you think of the first scene, with John and Elizabeth finishing each other's sentences? How did that rate on your Spark-o-meter?

That scene was a grand slam. It was funny, it was flirty, it played well with the other characters, and it's really a classic example of the Atlantis family being, well, a family.

b) Binder keeps Elizabeth to the back in this episode--but what Sparky moments did you pick up on in Vengeance, even if it wasn't blatant?

The radiosex moments, all the way.

c) How does the final scene work for you?

It's brilliant. It shows, once again, how Elizabeth and John have come to rely on each other as personal confidantes as well as professional coworkers.

Super fun Sparky bonus!!

d) Let's pretend that Carl is always looking for a way to subliminally prod Sparky along. Where can you see subconscious hints of Sparky in Vengeance? Have fun with this one!!!

The radiosex moments. She's concerned about him and the team, he's trying to be macho and brush it off, but she's not buying it, so he plays along to humor her because he doesn't want to worry her. Ahhhh... *sighs*

And done! Great questions, Eri!

Comment

Working...
                                X