No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    Turned out to be "senior day" at the movie theater, and the place was mobbed. The poor kiosks were not used, as everyone instead waited in line to buy tickets the old fashioned way. My sister asked me a question about the line (as I go to movies more than she does) and I was like "I don't know! I use the kiosk!" But the ticket was only $7.75, and then I got a tiny little "senior" popcorn and soda for $4. I was, by far, the youngest person in the theater. Honestly, my sister and her friends embarrassed me because they talked during the movie, and one friend had a phone that kept flashing. But other people were talking too. I told them before the movie how little kids are better behaved than older adults, and it's true.

The movie was pretty funny. I don't know if you'd like it if you aren't Patriots fans, though. One of the women was a mathematician, which cracked me up as I am math girl myself.
    OMG, everyone talking during the movie! That's both terrible and hilarious! The movie sounds fun, though, glad you enjoyed it and had a great time!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    A few years ago, when my grandparents were still alive so that has to be more than 5 years ago... (sorry, years blur together when there's a pandemic in there somewhere)... we went to a movie together. It's the film adaptation of a play. The play follows a family for 9 weeks while a strike breaks out at a factory and one of the workers this factory writing a letter to the king of Belgium to tell him about how the factory is polluting/contaminating the area around the place, and how people are getting sick because of it.

The worker is fictional, but the factory and the pollution is very real... and yes, that factory is located near the village where I grew up**. Everybody who lives in the area knows it.
    (there was also an ammunitions factory which occasionally had to deal with ammunitions / chemicals exploding )

Anyhow, we went to see the film in a small theater nearby (which no longer exists either) with my grandparents, parents and aunt... and it was the first and last time I was in a cinema with my grandparents and it was awesome to see them. They were well behaved though. No talking.

** I also lived in the nuclear radius where if something were to happen at the nuclear facility, you're dead within minutes. Did I mention I glow in the dark?

I grew up (and still live) just in back of a chemical plant. There's a bit of woods in between, so you can't see it. I don't remember this, but one time some yellow dye got into the air and made everything, including our dogs, turn yellow. Then when I was in high school, an old mill burned down on the other side of my neighborhood. The high school actually sent us home early because of it. Yeah, it made no sense.... the neighborhood is on fire... there's literally ash coming down in my back yard, so yeah send them home to that!
    Holy smokes, you two!

I grew up in a nice, quiet suburban neighborhood where nothing much happened. Except... When I was very little, it rained so much (I think this was during an El Nino year) that the storm drains backed up and the entire neighborhood flooded. The water came up the steps but didn't get into the house itself; the crawlspace under our house was filled though (most of the houses on our street were built on crawlspaces so I think everyone was okay on that). This happened during the day, and the streets were so bad by the afternoon that my dad couldn't even get home and stayed at the office overnight. And then during the LA riots, the DMV office that was six blocks from my house got burned down.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Zandras_Ashes
      Trying to break out of the post vacay blahs. It and the jet lag seemed harsh this time.
      I hope you can break out of that soon. Jet lag does suck.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      OMG, everyone talking during the movie! That's both terrible and hilarious! The movie sounds fun, though, glad you enjoyed it and had a great time!
      My sister called me today and was joking about all the "old people" at the theater. I didn't have the heart to say THEY WERE YOUR AGE!

Holy smokes, you two!

I grew up in a nice, quiet suburban neighborhood where nothing much happened. Except... When I was very little, it rained so much (I think this was during an El Nino year) that the storm drains backed up and the entire neighborhood flooded. The water came up the steps but didn't get into the house itself; the crawlspace under our house was filled though (most of the houses on our street were built on crawlspaces so I think everyone was okay on that). This happened during the day, and the streets were so bad by the afternoon that my dad couldn't even get home and stayed at the office overnight. And then during the LA riots, the DMV office that was six blocks from my house got burned down.
      Yikes!

The worst thing that happened very close to here was the Station Nightclub fire. Around 100 people died in a night club fire set off by rock musicians lighting pyrotechnics inside the club. It made national news. It's only a few minutes from me. It was so weird when I would be watching the national news and I could hear the helicopter that was broadcasting the scene that I was seeing on my screen. I used to drive by it every day for work. The road was shut down for a long time. There's a memorial park there now.

Comment

Holy smokes, you two!
        It's gone digital a few years ago, with text alerts and such, but until that happened, they tested the nuclear alarm every first thursday of the month.
        That's an alarm you don't easily forget.

People who weren't familiar with it would look up alarmed and we would wave it off "it's nothing, it's the nuclear alert but don't worry, it's the first thursday of the month, that's normal" ... and then to joke a little, "It is the first thursday, right?"
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

My sister called me today and was joking about all the "old people" at the theater. I didn't have the heart to say THEY WERE YOUR AGE!

The worst thing that happened very close to here was the Station Nightclub fire. Around 100 people died in a night club fire set off by rock musicians lighting pyrotechnics inside the club. It made national news. It's only a few minutes from me. It was so weird when I would be watching the national news and I could hear the helicopter that was broadcasting the scene that I was seeing on my screen. I used to drive by it every day for work. The road was shut down for a long time. There's a memorial park there now.
          Yeah, I remember seeing that on the news when it happened. It's definitely a weird feeling whenever something like that happens close to home. *hugs*​

It's gone digital a few years ago, with text alerts and such, but until that happened, they tested the nuclear alarm every first thursday of the month.

People who weren't familiar with it would look up alarmed and we would wave it off "it's nothing, it's the nuclear alert but don't worry, it's the first thursday of the month, that's normal" ... and then to joke a little, "It is the first thursday, right?"
          Reminds me of the air raid/tsunami warning siren we had down in Huntington Beach; tested on the first Friday of the month. I imagine beachgoers had fun with that one...
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I'm debating a trip down to the beach since it's supposed to rain the entirety of next week. But it's not particularly warm. I don't know. Or maybe I should go to the beach in the rain? That might be cool to see.

OMG!!!! That's both scary and hilarious at the same time.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty
            Yeah, I remember seeing that on the news when it happened. It's definitely a weird feeling whenever something like that happens close to home. *hugs*​
            Yeah, it was a truly horrible event. They changed Rhode Island laws so that now whenever there's a performance of any kind, or movie, etc., they announce where the exits are. That was a problem with the night club - people didn't know where the exits were so everyone went to the main door. And of course, they changed fire codes. That place had foam in the walls for sound, and they let them light fireworks inside??? It was a disaster waiting to happen.

Comment

I'm debating a trip down to the beach since it's supposed to rain the entirety of next week. But it's not particularly warm. I don't know. Or maybe I should go to the beach in the rain? That might be cool to see.

Go! I love the beach when raining. And fog. It’s so deliciously moody. Lol. Listen to me. I need coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Zandras_Ashes View Post

Go! I love the beach when raining. And fog. It’s so deliciously moody. Lol. Listen to me. I need coffee.
                Get some caffeine in you, girl!!

You are right. I decided to wait to go next week even though it'll be raining then. I have a new rain coat that's supposedly waterproof. Should be fun!

Instead, I'm doing my taxes right now (not fun). I actually used to like doing them back when it was on paper, and my taxes were more complicated because I had 2 states to deal with. Now it's just annoying. Or maybe I'm getting old and I'm cranky. That's entirely possible.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

​Seconding this! The beach is AWESOME in the rain! The wind and the rain and the seaspray is invigorating!

Comment

I was watching Conversion and this scene:

Elizabeth: It's only protocol.
                    John: That's your answer for everything.

I put out a request on Tumblr for someone to please create a fic explaining where that line came from. I NEED IT! Cause really, that line came out of something.

​Seconding this! The beach is AWESOME in the rain! The wind and the rain and the seaspray is invigorating!
                    I will do that!!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

I was watching Conversion and this scene:

Elizabeth: It's only protocol.
                      John: That's your answer for everything.

I put out a request on Tumblr for someone to please create a fic explaining where that line came from. I NEED IT! Cause really, that line came out of something.
                      Heh, I saw that. The crackier the fic, the better, I say.

Comment

Get some caffeine in you, girl!!

You are right. I decided to wait to go next week even though it'll be raining then. I have a new rain coat that's supposedly waterproof. Should be fun!

Instead, I'm doing my taxes right now (not fun). I actually used to like doing them back when it was on paper, and my taxes were more complicated because I had 2 states to deal with. Now it's just annoying. Or maybe I'm getting old and I'm cranky. That's entirely possible.
                        Oh no I am stalling big time this year on my taxes. I had some W2 overlap for a few months and I’ll probably owe every bit of the money I made in the overlapping employment in taxes. I saved the money for this purpose but it still stinks as I was hoping that money could go to a new hvac system. Big sigh. I need a moody beach day.

Also I forgot to mention I watched a bunch of SGA on the plane! It was so nice that I barely even noticed how long the flight was. I didn’t watch conversion though so maybe I can watch that today after I get my (never ending) homework done.

Comment

I did Ancestry DNA and I'm surprised by the results.

According to my parents, I should be 25% each of English, Scottish, French, and Austrian.

Well, I'm actually 32% English, 20% French, 19% Sweden and Denmark, 15% Scottish, 11% Eastern Europe and Russia (this includes Austria), and 3% Germanic Europe. (As a friend said to me - I'm white, white, and more white... hence my translucent skin color).

The Sweden and Denmark bit??? Whaaaaaa??? And they break it down by parent, and it's on both sides! They like to travel, I guess.

And it also highly amuses me that there was 1% English on my mother's side, since her father (the French part) absolutely hated English people to the point where he wouldn't sign off on my mother's marriage to my English-heritage father so they had to wait three years until my mother was 21 to marry. So it cracks me up that there's a 50% chance he had a sliver of English blood in him. Ah, the schadenfreude.

Heh, I saw that. The crackier the fic, the better, I say.

Comment

Oh no I am stalling big time this year on my taxes. I had some W2 overlap for a few months and I’ll probably owe every bit of the money I made in the overlapping employment in taxes. I saved the money for this purpose but it still stinks as I was hoping that money could go to a new hvac system. Big sigh. I need a moody beach day.

Also I forgot to mention I watched a bunch of SGA on the plane! It was so nice that I barely even noticed how long the flight was. I didn’t watch conversion though so maybe I can watch that today after I get my (never ending) homework done.
                            Oops I forgot to answer this part.

Yeah I finished my taxes and I owe a great deal this year. I'm now procrastinating until April to pay it off.

So glad you got to watch some SGA! Before Conversion, I watched The Storm/The Eye. Such great episodes!!

Good luck with your homework!

Comment

IWell, I'm actually 32% English, 20% French, 19% Sweden and Denmark, 15% Scottish, 11% Eastern Europe and Russia (this includes Austria), and 3% Germanic Europe.
                              Sweden/Denmark --> say thank you to the Danes and Vikings raiding Brittain in the 9th/10th century. Anglo-Saxons rejoice!

Eastern Europe/Russia --> remnants of the Roman Dacians who were posted in Brittain at the walls to defend their lands from the Picts (who count for the Scottish bit)

Germanic Europe --> I guess the Celts couldn't stay far behind in mingling with their friends from across the channel.

(As a friend said to me - I'm white, white, and more white... hence my translucent skin color).

I have some southern blood so I can't lay claim on being translucent white.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Ancestry...we traced ours the old-fashioned way, going through the records years ago. I forget at the moment exactly how far back we were able to get, but I'm pretty sure we traced at least a couple of branches as far back as the 1500s, maybe earlier. Scottish, Irish, English (yes, all three, LOL), as well as Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, and Dutch. So yeah, you can call me a Northern European mutt mix. I'm so white that when I've gotten sunburned, the burn didn't leave a tan behind, I was still pasty white.

Taxes...I hate 'em. Enough said.

Comment

Working...
                                X