No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it is 8:30am Monday 10th October here, so wishing you good luck with your interview/chat with your prospective new employers.
    Please let us know what happens as soon as you can. LBtgDSf.gif
    http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Falcon Horus, good luck with your interview!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
      Well, can't lose if you don't play.
      True, dat.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Interview came and went... and I thought they had finally figured out that I am a self-taught automation programmer (it's not my main job, just part of it), and maybe they were mistaken.

I was wrong. About an hour after I got to my dad's place (went to help him with his driveway changes to fit the campervan he bought), I got a call from them and they offered the job.

They are sending me the contract conditions (pay and extra's) tomorrow at the latest and I have to have an answer for them by friday -- will I go for it or will I pass up on the opportunity? At this moment, it could go either way cause it is a scary thought.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          I got a call from them and they offered the job.

They are sending me the contract conditions (pay and extra's) tomorrow at the latest and I have to have an answer for them by friday -- will I go for it or will I pass up on the opportunity? At this moment, it could go either way cause it is a scary thought.
          The unknown is always a scary thought. I suppose when you applied for the job you have now all those years ago you were scared too. But it turned out OK.

You have met face to face with your possible future employer, was he/she nice?
          Did you get to meet any of your co-employees? If so, what is/was your impression of them?

Is this new job more challenging, sound like more fun? Is it something you would like to try?

You will be leaving the friends you have made at your current place, but if the appointment of a new team leader goes badly, maybe you can get your friends a job in this new place.

Another thought, you have not said if the new firm is close to where you work now, so you could meet for lunch with your friends, & keep up with all the gossip.

I have no idea what the new contract is offering, I have no idea what will happen if you do not settle in your new job, or your workmates don't like you (or you don't like them). But then you didn't know how you would go/fit in when you first started where you are now.

So bottom line, it is all up to you. But you know your friends here will support you whatever your choice.

​ ​

Comment

Good for you!! It's a tough decision, but at least you have a few days to think it over. The only thing that would concern me is that the new company is, well, a new company. But it will depend on everything Who Knows says. And like he said, we will support you either way.
            Last edited by JT-2; 11 October 2022, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Interview came and went... and I thought they had finally figured out that I am a self-taught automation programmer (it's not my main job, just part of it), and maybe they were mistaken.

I was wrong. About an hour after I got to my dad's place (went to help him with his driveway changes to fit the campervan he bought), I got a call from them and they offered the job.

Wow, that was fast! But you do have a few days to think it over (and ask them any more questions you might have), and as JT-2 and Who Knows said, we support whatever decision you make. *hugs*
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

So I received the proposal today and I'm strongly leaning towards a negative answer.

Pay is the same as I have now (they didn't bother to add even a 100 euro more). They offer a cellphone* as extra and no car (which I knew cause I don't need it). The rest like insurance plans are the same. Amount of holidays too.

* You really can't buy my loyalty with a cellphone by the way. It's usually iPhones and I literally have no love for an expensive cellphone.

I now have a 37,5hr work-week (7,5hrs, 5 days a week) -- over there it would be a 40hr work-week (8hr days). Two days at the office (mondays and thursdays, mandatory days).

Of the three people at my interview, one rubbed me the wrong way a bit but I can't put my finger on why. The other two were nice enough.

Frankly, I'm not feeling the vibe.

I was going to look into the course tonight I have to follow but I woke with an ache in my throat this morning so I'm postponing that till tomorrow.

Also... thanks for the support peeps! Sparkies are the best!

Comment

Does not seem like you will get much benefit out of going with the new job.
                  Now you've got the 'change jobs' bug sit back & wait for the next opportunity if that is how you feel.

​ ​

Comment

Thanks for the birthday wishes. It was fun, but overcast.

Otters are water doggos.
                    sigpic
                    Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                      Does not seem like you will get much benefit out of going with the new job.
                      As far as benefits go, none at all. I'll even miss out on the federal raise on wages because I would be starting after that happens. Life gets infinitely more expensive but my pay would not reflect that... in a manner of speaking.

Now you've got the 'change jobs' bug sit back & wait for the next opportunity if that is how you feel.
                      Mmm... a lot has happened this week with regards to new projects at work so yeah... I'm weighing the options and I think my best friend will have to stick it out with me a little while longer. Though she's the teamlead of a different department I have close ties with. I do odd jobs for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                        Otters are water doggos.
                        They are.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

So I received the proposal today and I'm strongly leaning towards a negative answer.

Pay is the same as I have now (they didn't bother to add even a 100 euro more). They offer a cellphone* as extra and no car (which I knew cause I don't need it). The rest like insurance plans are the same. Amount of holidays too.

* You really can't buy my loyalty with a cellphone by the way. It's usually iPhones and I literally have no love for an expensive cellphone.

I now have a 37,5hr work-week (7,5hrs, 5 days a week) -- over there it would be a 40hr work-week (8hr days). Two days at the office (mondays and thursdays, mandatory days).

Of the three people at my interview, one rubbed me the wrong way a bit but I can't put my finger on why. The other two were nice enough.

Frankly, I'm not feeling the vibe.

I was going to look into the course tonight I have to follow but I woke with an ache in my throat this morning so I'm postponing that till tomorrow.

Also... thanks for the support peeps! Sparkies are the best!
                          Hmm, after reading that, I'm not feeling the vibe either. Sure, it's a new-ish company and maybe they just can't afford to offer much more than that, but, well, yeah. If your instincts are telling you to stay where you are for now, then that's probably for the best.

Comment

So... I got a phonecall from one of the three guys asking me if I had thought it over yet.

Told him I had and that I decided to sit this one out. He was disappointed and tried to change my mind with everything he could think of. It was a hilarious conversation that made both of us laugh.

Long story short, he asked me if he could contact me again in a couple of months, maybe at the start of the new year cause they really want me in their team.
                            I have to admit that I am flattered and my confidence got a bit of boost. I told him I was definitely going to get certified and that I am looking forward to his call.

I also decided that I'm going to tell my colleagues that I've had an offer to join another company, and I want to know where the future of our team is heading to. Something I would really like is someone else who can do the technical stuff like I can. Truth be told, if I can get certified for UiPath (the software we use for automation), I'll think again about taking this other company up on their offer, especially if nothing changes in our current team.

Anywho... a new adventure does begin --> getting certified as a UiPath programmer.

Also, I am coughing so took a covid test. It was positively negative. I have my booster scheduled for tomorrow. Fingers crossed I'll get it.

Comment

Long story short, he asked me if he could contact me again in a couple of months, maybe at the start of the new year cause they really want me in their team.
                              OK, but if you say yes in a couple of months, you will have to work your 12 weeks, putting your start back further.

I also decided that I'm going to tell my colleagues that I've had an offer to join another company,
                              Do you think if you tell your bosses too they might offer you a better deal? Or could that lead to your instant dismissal before you are ready?

Anywho... a new adventure does begin --> getting certified as a UiPath programmer.
                              Good luck with your certification. Hope you can fit the course in with working as well, & do not overdo it.

Also, I am coughing so took a covid test. It was positively negative. I have my booster scheduled for tomorrow. Fingers crossed I'll get it.
                              You'll get what? Your booster? The COVID? The certification?

​ ​

Comment

OK, but if you say yes in a couple of months, you will have to work your 12 weeks, putting your start back further.
                                Indeed which wouldn't be much different from now.
                                But I would be certified (hopefully), giving me one up from now.

Do you think if you tell your bosses too they might offer you a better deal? Or could that lead to your instant dismissal before you are ready?
                                I won't get a better deal. That's out of the question. There is the mandatory federal pay raise at the start of the new year, but that will be all I'm getting (all of us in fact).

I don't have to worry about instant dismissal either cause a) I am protected from it because I'm a union representative, and b) if they dismiss me they shoot themselves in their feet cause they don't have anyone else familiar with the technical stuff. My teamlead literally said a couple of weeks ago that I singlehandedly saved them on budget.

Good luck with your certification. Hope you can fit the course in with working as well, & do not overdo it.
                                It's something I can do during one or two evenings a week. I'm home alone on Tuesday evenings (sister has ballet classes then).

You'll get what? Your booster? The COVID? The certification?
                                Was going to get my booster but my sister had doubts cause we both have a bit of a cold so she called our doctor's office. The advice she gave was that it would not be a problem if it was just a runny nose, but I'm coughing and apparently that's a no-go. If they hear/see you coughing, they instantly bar you entrance to the vaccination centre, even if you have proof you tested negative beforehand.

They literally discriminate on a cough.

So we rescheduled to monday and I got something for my cough -- claims it has a banana flavor but I can definitely say it tastes nothing like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                                X