Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    He was so deliciously diabolical as Oberoth.

And of course, I loved him on M*A*S*H. And as the voice of the clock in Beauty and the Beast.

And now, on to this week's College Football Roundup! A good week was had by nearly all, as USC beat Arizona State 42-25, Tennessee had a bye, Rhode Island beat Brown 38-10, and Air Force continues to extend it's lead in the Atlantis Cup as they beat Navy 13-10. This morning's PT run is going to be LEGENDARY.
    Yay RI!!!! You beat those snobby Ivy Leaguers.

Well, the Raiders finally won a game this week. Thank goodness, because they would have been 0-4 and there's no coming back from that. The Patriots lost in overtime to Green Bay but it was amazing they even got that far as they were on their 3rd string QB (since their main QB hurt his ankle last week, and the 2nd string QB got a concussion at the beginning of the game).

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!
        Much like #MarloweMonday (photo of Wil Wheaton's dog Marlowe on monday), I see these a day later.

Why must timezones exist?
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

After September 29 & "The person I'm in contact with wants to schedule an online meeting today or tomorrow", 5 days later & ?????.
          What happened? Are we changing employers?
          http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Much like #MarloweMonday (photo of Wil Wheaton's dog Marlowe on monday), I see these a day later.

Why must timezones exist?
            Ahhhh, business.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

My birthday is on Saturday.
              sigpic
              Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                After September 29 & "The person I'm in contact with wants to schedule an online meeting today or tomorrow", 5 days later & ?????.
                What happened? Are we changing employers?
                Oh right... I had an online meeting on Saturday.

Spoiler:
                I was actually in the middle of writing a reply here about how I hadn't heard a peep from my contact around 2pm -- when we were supposed to meet. No link, nothing. I went and checked my mailbox one last time and my sister was already calling for lunch, when I saw a link appear.

We talked for about 30 minutes, after I had to switch laptops cause my camera refused to cooperate (turned out it wasn't on but I didn't know that cause I had never used it before). It was an enthusiastic conversation. We talked about the job, about me a bit and my experience -- made it abundantly clear that I do not have a bachelor/master in computer sciences or engineering which she admitted they usually do look for in a candidate... so I must be really special that they are overlooking that detail.

Anyhow... the operations manager and company owner (it's a relatively small and new company -- started in 2019) want to meet me as soon as possible, which is likely happening tomorrow. According to my contact they are eager to meet and eager to gain me as an employer, which means that one of my conditions is that they match my pay (or higher -- which isn't particularly high to begin with --> I earn 3000 euro a month of which after taxes are deducted I get 2000 euro in my account so approx. 24K a year).

I feel like their expectations are growing but I'll just see how it goes, and maybe they are creating this impossible image in their heads of me -- like I have superpowers or something. I don't want to not be able to meet those expectations... you know.

I haven't said a word to my colleagues and I'm not going to until the new peeps make an offer (I'm not likely to refuse) so some conversations are rather awkward now where someone is detailing some automation work and I'm nodding my head but at the same time thinking that I'm probably not going to be the one to do it... which means no one else will on my team cause I'm the only one capable of the work. I'm the only one with the knowledge. (I kid you not)

The only other person I told so far (other than my sister and you guys) is my best friend, who also happens to be a colleague (but not a direct one).

If I accept and I turn in my resignation, I'll be ending 2022 at my current company and start 2023 with a new adventure in life. I have to continue for 12 weeks after resigning.
                My contact asked if there would be a possibility they would let me go sooner and I told her that I doubted that they would go for that cause of the reason that I'm the only automation person at the moment, so I'm a bit of a commodity they probably don't want to loose (everyone's replaceable).

Ah well... will see how it goes...

Comment

Later that same day...

Appointment made for a face-to-face chat with one of the owners of the company, Monday the 10th (next week).

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards this new adventure. Will see after Monday's dialogue but I'm feeling a lot more excited about it then last week.
                  I would be leaving my current colleagues high and dry for sure but I don't think another opportunity like this will ever come around again. Will see... not jumping the gun just yet.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                    Yay! *high-fives*

Later that same day...

Appointment made for a face-to-face chat with one of the owners of the company, Monday the 10th (next week).

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards this new adventure. Will see after Monday's dialogue but I'm feeling a lot more excited about it then last week.
                    I would be leaving my current colleagues high and dry for sure but I don't think another opportunity like this will ever come around again. Will see... not jumping the gun just yet.
                    Whoo Hoo! It's sounding very very exciting! Good luck, I hope the interview with the owner goes well! *hugs*

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                      Saturday is the 8th... where's the party? I got time.

Comment

So far so good, fingers crossed, and all that.
                        I hope Monday is a good day for you to be absent from your current job without arousing any suspicions among your bosses and colleagues.
                        I hope Monday is a good day for getting a new job for you.

Will be thinking of you, if I can work out when you get your Monday, and wishing you all the best.
                        (No hugs, just best wishes)

​ ​

Comment

Saturday is the 8th... where's the party? I got time.
                          No party. I'm attending a local event with my mom, and her cousin.
                          sigpic
                          Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

First of all...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SCARY KITTY!!!

I wanted to put in the Atlantis Happy Birthday gif but the site says it's too large. Whatever.

I hope you have a wonderful day!!

Second....

FH - Sounds great! Good luck!! I'm surprised you'd have to work 12 weeks after resigning. Is that a normal thing there? We usually give 2 weeks notice here.

Comment

If this works....
                              Happy Birthday from me too

jW0F1bFb.jpg

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                                I hope Monday is a good day for you to be absent from your current job without arousing any suspicions among your bosses and colleagues.
                                They don't have a clue. If they offer me a job with a good deal, and I accept, it will definitely come as a surprise since I'm not activily looking for a different job. I was contacted on LinkedIn and my curious self sorta went with it.

My best friend imagines there might be a slight panic if and when I announce my resignation. I already decided on how to tell them... "I have good news and I have bad news. Which would you like to hear first?"

I was thinking of taking tomorrow off but my schedule is too full this week to take a day, so I moved it to Monday (for obvious reasons but they don't know that). Told them that when I asked if it was OK to take Monday off instead of tomorrow (if they had said no, that would have been awkward )

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                                FH - Sounds great! Good luck!! I'm surprised you'd have to work 12 weeks after resigning. Is that a normal thing there? We usually give 2 weeks notice here.
                                If you work less than 3 months at your current employer, 2 weeks is the norm, but I have 7,5 years under my belt with my current employer so I have 12 weeks. It's basically a transition period which gives the employer the time to find a replacement, or at least try to find a replacement.

If you get fired, there's no notice at all obviously.

Sometimes, a settlement can be reached between both parties to leave earlier and just get the wages paid in full but considering my job description that will not be the case for me. I'm the only automation engineer so they will keep me on to the very last minute.

Comment

Working...
                                X