No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't make it to the beach again today. I didn't get any sleep last night, so I thought that taking a drive might not be the best idea.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I finished Star Trek Deep Space Nine yesterday and I can't help but think that the SGA PTB watched that show and copied the "ensemble show" theory to the letter.

We pretend we have all these characters but only use the (male) ones that are easy to write for/we like the best.

So you can imagine that my favorites are short changed at every turn.
    I also fell madly in love with the Jadzia Dax/Kira Nerys pairing (characters which are short changed at every turn obviously), and to a lesser extend Ezri Dax/Kira Nerys.
    And umm... yes... I may have already read quite ... most ... not all but most fic on AO3.
    Maybe it comes down to the fact that as a whole these are socially inept geek men who can't write women? As I've said before, I couldn't stand it when Worf seemed to take over the show. Klingons were a goldmine for that kind of writer.... the Klingons are tough guys who don't show emotion..... i.e. what these geek boys like to think they are. Sorry, my bitterness is showing.

One of my mutuals on Tumblr is majorly into Elizabeth/Teyla though she also posts Sparky and McShep. She's not finding much out there for Elizabeth/Teyla so she's creating it as she goes. It's hard to ship f/f pairings in a fandom dominated by m/m ones. I mean, Elizabeth and Teyla are both main characters. Meanwhile, Parrish who was in what - one or two episodes - has a goldmine of fic. It's crazy. (It's the misogyny).

Originally posted by Scary Kitty
    Awesome! It's so nice to be the only one in the theater. You can laugh as hard as you want at the funny bits, boo at the bad guys and all that without disturbing anyone else.
    Precisely! And I could cry when I wanted to without being embarrassed. And my theater just switched to the new fancy seats. It was very nice. Although I reclined the chair but then couldn't figure out how to get it upright again. Eventually I gave up.

Yeah, the make-it-up-as-you-go method doesn't work so well. Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.
    I can see why some of George Lucas' stuff ended up having plot holes since he didn't know when he made A New Hope that he'd also be making the others, and then later the prequels. But JJ knew he had the whole 3. And why didn't Disney say to him "hey buddy, maybe you should have an outline or something?"

Same here. Given how things went off the rails last time under the same leadership, I'm not holding my breath for anything better.
    We're on the same wavelength on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
      Maybe it comes down to the fact that as a whole these are socially inept geek men who can't write women?

You may be onto something here.

There's an episode in season 2 that has some pretty good stuff for Jadzia and Kira so when I watched it again, I noticed it was written by Jane Espenson and I immediately went Oh, that explains that.

...Parrish who was in what - one or two episodes - has a goldmine of fic.
      Lorne/Parrish ... *nods* ...that's the one.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

You may be onto something here.

There's an episode in season 2 that has some pretty good stuff for Jadzia and Kira so when I watched it again, I noticed it was written by Jane Espenson and I immediately went Oh, that explains that.
        Yup, you're absolutely right.

Jane Espenson wrote for Once Upon A Time too.

Lorne/Parrish ... *nods* ...that's the one.
        I just checked AO3 and there are over 500 of those fic. 500!! It's the 4th most popular ship on there.

Comment

Yup, you're absolutely right.

I just checked AO3 and there are over 500 of those fic. 500!! It's the 4th most popular ship on there.

Once Upon a Time is Oh SO Good!!!

I Have Seen All of The Seasons

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

I didn't make it to the beach again today. I didn't get any sleep last night, so I thought that taking a drive might not be the best idea.
            Probably a good idea. The beach will still be there next time.

Maybe it comes down to the fact that as a whole these are socially inept geek men who can't write women?
            I think that right there says it all.

Precisely! And I could cry when I wanted to without being embarrassed. And my theater just switched to the new fancy seats. It was very nice. Although I reclined the chair but then couldn't figure out how to get it upright again. Eventually I gave up.
            LOL! I've never experienced the reclining seats (though I've got to wonder what that would be like for the person sitting behind it ), just the plush ones with the padded armrests and cupholders.

I can see why some of George Lucas' stuff ended up having plot holes since he didn't know when he made A New Hope that he'd also be making the others, and then later the prequels. But JJ knew he had the whole 3. And why didn't Disney say to him "hey buddy, maybe you should have an outline or something?"
            Yeah, you know, like at Marvel? Seriously, Disney's been very hands off and just letting Marvel do their thing, because they know that Feige's got his stuff together for YEARS in advance.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Wasn't she involved with Buffy or Angel too, or both?

Anywho... Jane knows her stuff and women folk.

I have written Lorne/Parrish -- but I don't think I've put those on AO3, and if I have I should go and check but I'm too lazy.

I had an LJ friend from the UK who got me into the pairing. She passed away but every time I think of Lorne/Parrish, I remember her enthusiasm for the pairing and the characters. Forever associated with the pairing.

Comment

SK- thanks for the tip. I’ll take a look at that Con. I have been wanting to visit Avenger’s this Campus so…..

In unrelated news, I was watching some season 2 today and Hermiod is just the funniest dude ever.

"Crap indeed."

"Dr. Kavanagh. Stop. Talking. Please."
                Critical Mass! I watched that the other night. The look on his face is delightful.

Comment

Originally posted by Zandras_Ashes View Post
                  Critical Mass! I watched that the other night. The look on his face is delightful.
                  CADMAN!!

Errmm... anyway... how's the weekend going?

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

SK- thanks for the tip. I’ll take a look at that Con. I have been wanting to visit Avenger’s this Campus so…..
                    Make that a three-for-one vacay!

Ah, that episode is SO. MUCH. FUN!
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

When you've been complaining about the cold weather for weeks, go for a walk and have to whisper that you're too warm, you know Spring has started.

Guilty as charged. I was clearly overdressed.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

When you've been complaining about the cold weather for weeks, go for a walk and have to whisper that you're too warm, you know Spring has started.

Guilty as charged. I was clearly overdressed.

The leaf buds on the maples are starting to open and more birds are showing up. Spring is here!

Comment

Temps are up to 18-19-20° Celsius this week.

Here, at the office, behind windows that can't open, located on the south side of the building and thus sun from midday to evening... it's bloody hot. I'm melting.

The CO2-meter claims it's only 25.4 degrees Celsius but I wholeheartedly disagree with the thing.
                          CO2 levels are within acceptable limits -- 717 parts per million. Above 1200 is when we should start worrying.

I realized by the way that it's been a while since I posted an office saga chapter. Realization came when my colleague swore she was all alone yesterday, either ignoring that I was also active or simply forgot. The irony, however, today she called in sick so now I really am flying solo.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Temps are up to 18-19-20° Celsius this week.

Here, at the office, behind windows that can't open, located on the south side of the building and thus sun from midday to evening... it's bloody hot. I'm melting.

The CO2-meter claims it's only 25.4 degrees Celsius but I wholeheartedly disagree with the thing.
                            CO2 levels are within acceptable limits -- 717 parts per million. Above 1200 is when we should start worrying.

I realized by the way that it's been a while since I posted an office saga chapter. Realization came when my colleague swore she was all alone yesterday, either ignoring that I was also active or simply forgot. The irony, however, today she called in sick so now I really am flying solo.
                            Ewww, that's not a happy office! Hope you get to cool off soon! *sends virtual ice cream*

Office Saga - all alone in the office on a sweltering hot day with the AC gone AWOL. Sounds like it's time for an Atlantis Office Pool Party!

Comment

I must get me one of those inflatable palmtrees.

Comment

I like the sound of pool parties and palm trees. I want an invite to an Atlantis pool party.

Cadman was great in Critical Mass, and relatable to me in that it’s a madhouse around her and she’s just calmly poking through computers investigating wherever the data takes her. That’s basically my career, lol. And yes, that episode is fun, it checks a lot of boxes for me. It stays downloaded on my iPad.

Comment

Working...
                                X