Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    Hurricane (well, currently Tropical Storm) Henri is on its way to me. It's supposed to come in Sunday morning. I have to move some stuff in the yard tomorrow so that I won't have flying projectiles. I'm most worried about a long loss of power. My neighborhood has old wires and we tend to go out a lot. My brother bought a generator, though, so even if the whole area goes out I can go to his house.

YES!!!!!!!!!!! Happy weekend! In 2 weeks time I will be starting my week's vacation. Can't wait! A Tumblr friend is coming up to visit me for a few days. Should be fun! I've met some Gateworld people in real life before but this will be my first meeting of a Tumblr person.

Ooh, I'll have to check that out. I still haven't read Suzanne Collins' latest book. Maybe I should go buy it tomorrow so I'll have something to do if I lose power.

I didn't get to watch Practical Magic last night. Maybe tonight. Or maybe I'll watch some Timeless. Or watch Goran's Doctor Who episode. I'm in definite need of some Goran.
    Stay safe! My friend in Bonnet Shores brought in the outdoor furniture and got out the liquor and batteries. She can see the ocean from her second floor, so I’m fairly certain she was joking and did some other prep work as well.

And cheers to fun plans. I bet you will have fun when your friend visits.

Comment

Originally posted by Zandras.ashes View Post

Stay safe! My friend in Bonnet Shores brought in the outdoor furniture and got out the liquor and batteries. She can see the ocean from her second floor, so I’m fairly certain she was joking and did some other prep work as well.

And cheers to fun plans. I bet you will have fun when your friend visits.
      Yeah Bonnet Shores, that's right next to the water. That's the kind of area I generally dream to live in, unless a storm is coming.

Now it's looking more like we're going to get hurricane strength winds here in RI. The national news is starting to mention RI in the forecasts. If RI gets a mention on national news, it's usually not a good thing. Except for that time we had the calamari guy announce our state at the DNC convention last year. That made all the rounds on late night shows. I remember the cable news shows just laughing at us about it.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

Yeah Bonnet Shores, that's right next to the water. That's the kind of area I generally dream to live in, unless a storm is coming.

Now it's looking more like we're going to get hurricane strength winds here in RI. The national news is starting to mention RI in the forecasts. If RI gets a mention on national news, it's usually not a good thing. Except for that time we had the calamari guy announce our state at the DNC convention last year. That made all the rounds on late night shows. I remember the cable news shows just laughing at us about it.

Fools, all of them. Calamari is delicious.

Yeah, that forecast is looking freaky. The latest I saw said it's looking like landfall will be in RI. I'm wondering if it might not be better to go to your brother's house now if you still have time, rather than sticking it out at your house. Stay safe and please keep us posted when you can! *hugs*
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I’d rather my state be laughed at for calimari than all the other absurd things we’ve become notorious for. My friend posted some video, power out and very windy. Take care of yourself! I’m conjuring all the good things and hopping everyone comes through this safely.

Comment

Stay safe all!

I've started building a boat with all that rain... The invitations to the animal kingdom will go out shortly.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Well I'm baaaaack! I lost power at 11:30am. Finally got it back at 9:30pm. I'm so glad I got power back. On the news they were saying it could take several days.

There was a LOT of wind, and a little rain (the people to the west of the eye got the most rain - NY got soaked). But no damage to my yard or house, so all's well that ends well. I have to throw out food in the fridge, but that's a minor thing really, compared with what it could have been.

Thanks for the concern!

Comment

Eat the icecream -- throw out the rest!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Well I'm baaaaack! I lost power at 11:30am. Finally got it back at 9:30pm. I'm so glad I got power back. On the news they were saying it could take several days.

There was a LOT of wind, and a little rain (the people to the west of the eye got the most rain - NY got soaked). But no damage to my yard or house, so all's well that ends well. I have to throw out food in the fridge, but that's a minor thing really, compared with what it could have been.

Thanks for the concern!
                  Yay! All's well that ends well, indeed! Very glad that you're okay and the storm ended up being only a minor inconvenience.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  I second that suggestion!
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

That's a good plan!!

Originally posted by Scary Kitty
                    Yay! All's well that ends well, indeed! Very glad that you're okay and the storm ended up being only a minor inconvenience.
                    Thanks! It was worse closer to the coast. I saw on the news they are still dealing with power outages.... and we're coming up on a heat wave tomorrow, so I feel really bad for those who won't have power.

Comment

That's a good plan!!

Thanks! It was worse closer to the coast. I saw on the news they are still dealing with power outages.... and we're coming up on a heat wave tomorrow, so I feel really bad for those who won't have power.
                      Glad to hear you’re okay! My friend got power back mid-morning. She also received the same ice cream advice, apparently that was lunch yesterday. A friend ended up loaning her a generator though so they were able to save everything in the fridge.

Comment

...and we're coming up on a heat wave tomorrow, so I feel really bad for those who won't have power.
                        That's like going from one end of the extreme to the other end in a very short time. Very Scottish!

All the while, I'm enjoying an English summer. I sincerely hope winter will compensate with heavy snowfall.

Comment

Originally posted by Zandras.ashes View Post

Glad to hear you’re okay! My friend got power back mid-morning. She also received the same ice cream advice, apparently that was lunch yesterday. A friend ended up loaning her a generator though so they were able to save everything in the fridge.
                          I'm glad she's okay and got to save her food. I didn't have anything expensive in the fridge or freezer. Not a major loss. There was a time I had a lot of expensive meat frozen in the freezer and I had to throw it all out. That hurt. It was like I could hear ka-ching ka-ching as my money went into the trash.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus
                          That's like going from one end of the extreme to the other end in a very short time. Very Scottish!
                          Very annoying too. My electricity bill is going to be super high again this month because of the air conditioning. Last month it was like 4 times my normal.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus
                          All the while, I'm enjoying an English summer. I sincerely hope winter will compensate with heavy snowfall.
                          I hope it does too! I want to see how my new all wheel drive car handles in the snow.

Comment

Very annoying too. My electricity bill is going to be super high again this month because of the air conditioning. Last month it was like 4 times my normal.
                            At least, the little sun we have is stored in our solarpowered electrical system, though I haven't seen the meter go backwards much lately.

Comment

At least, the little sun we have is stored in our solarpowered electrical system, though I haven't seen the meter go backwards much lately.
                              Solar panels are so expensive here that it's not worth it in terms of trying to save money. A quick Google shows that a house my size would cost about $18,000 (15,310 euro). I don't even have the $6000 (5100 euros) for a built in generator. Damn money. That's the one of the few things I miss about my old job.... I made enough money to buy stuff like that. Ultimately not worth the stress, though.

Comment

The solarpanels came with the house. We'd like to install a battery, especially since fossil fuel cars will become extinct sometime in our lifetime and I want to be prepared for an electrical car.

Anywho... I just got punished for being lazy of sorts. I had to check 400+ lines of business numbers in one of our applications. I figured it would take me less time to quickly build a robot to do it so I spend little under an hour doing that.

It works so I crawl into bed to do other stuff. I lean over to grab something and my elbow slips form the edge of the mattress onto the wooden edge of my bed and further down in between my nightstand and my bed. Pain shot down, all the way into my pinkyfinger and for a moment there I saw stars.

Goddammit, I wasn't being lazy. I just didn't want to waste more hours on a mistake that wasn't even my fault.

Anyways, I can't tell wether something shifted in my elbow cause it already stretches further than with a normal person so I'll just have to wait till morning to find out how badly it got hit in the sudden drop, cause my entire upperbody weight was on top of it.

And yes... I may have cried a little.

Comment

Working...
                                X