Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    ...rather than doing anything new with MGM properties (with the probable exception of Bond)...
    This may come as a surprise -- I certainly didn't know this -- but MGM isn't the sole owner of the Bond franchise. They have to share that ownership in a 50/50 split way with another company, which has a lot of say in what happens with the stories and who does what where.

Anywho... it will be interesting to see how the landscape changes with this merger, and other acquisitions which happened last.

My more immediate concern is of a different variety... to get a haircut or not get a haircut.

My curls have never been this long before, going halfway my back when wet -- about half that length when dried and curled up. I think I'll wait until I'm fully vaccinated. A few more months won't change it that much... I think.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post

No divorce here, but I'm so old that when I got married I was not able to just change my name on my credit card, but they insisted on giving me a new one under my husband's credit line. I'm still mad about that. And when my parents passed away and we went to get the house changed over to me and my brother, they put my husband's name at the top of the list. I'm also still mad about that. Women have sort of come a long way, but not in everything.
      One of the benefits of being single - I have never run into any issues with credit or legal matters. Of course, if this were, say, 75 years ago.... I bet I'd have to have my brother sign my papers. What happened to women who didn't have a male relative? Hmm...

As for the MGM/Amazon thing - I'm just happy that I should get more movies available on my Amazon Prime soon!

SK So glad you survived your second Covid shot!! It's such a great feeling to be all vaccinated. Though I have to go for a Covid test on Saturday because I'm having a colonoscopy on Tuesday (fun fun). I thought that since I was vaccinated that I wouldn't have to have a test. But nope.

And FH, how do you keep your long hair from getting all tangled? My hair is getting long and even though it's straight, it tangles like crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Cloudy and rain -- that's us... has been since the beginning of autumn... I mean, spring... I mean... wait... what season is this? It's cold and it rains all the time. Could be an English summer or winter 2.0.

Anywho... I'll be #TeamPfizer after all but when that is but the question now that Johnson & Johnson too has been restricted to 41 and over.

Everybody thinking there will be a new show soon may want to sit down and read the articles again. They haven't even figured out who's going to run that merger. Hell, there hasn't even been an official press briefing, and the shareholders still have to speak their mind.

The deal is made sure... a whoopin' 8.45 billion dollar. That's a lot of money -- less though than what MGM's net worth, which I find a little weird, but if that's the price they agreed upon, good for Amazon I guess.

I'm sorry... I can't excited over something like this, especially with the fragmenting of all the streaming services. It'll just end with even more content going behind bloody paywalls and I really, really, really hate geoblocking content.
        I’d only heard chatter, hardly credible sources, so I mentioned it out of sheer curiosity and speculation. The fragmenting is annoying to me, I really cringe to think of how the geoblocking impacts you and other international friends. I saw a Samuel Jackson meme that had something about motherf***ery and that’s the exact word that came to mind as I read your post.

SK-glad you are feeling better. Hope you get to finish the season soon!

Morgania- glad you were able to finish!

JT2- I have long hair and have tamed the unruliness by using Redken Mega soft products, Matrix leave in conditioner and Kenra blow dry spray. I honestly think the Kenra helps with tangles more than the Matrix. Not the cheapest products but they last me forever as I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week.
        Last edited by Zandras.ashes; 27 May 2021, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zandras.ashes View Post
          I’d only heard chatter, hardly credible sources, so I mentioned it out of sheer curiosity and speculation.
          Amazon looking to buy MGM has been known for a while. Netflix, at one point, was in the running too.
          That they came to an agreement is fresh news though. However, with all the merging and the inevitable monopolies that will happen, the merge has come under scrutiny from, among others Amy Klobuchar (D) who wants the DOJ to do a proper investigation. And apparently Amazon is also under American and International scrutiny for some -- possibly shady -- business practices... so we'll have to wait and see where this ends up.

Later that same day I read an article on a local newspage where it spoke of Disney shutting down several hundred of their international channels, including the National Geographic Channel, and move it all to their streaming platform Disney+. I hate to say it but in the long run this is going to cost them money because how many people are going to continue buying subscriptions to n-amount of services until they call it quits because you just can't continue to buy content that you don't all have use for.

And... geoblocking is a real thing so frak them... yo ho, a pirate I will continue to be.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
            One of the benefits of being single - I have never run into any issues with credit or legal matters. Of course, if this were, say, 75 years ago.... I bet I'd have to have my brother sign my papers. What happened to women who didn't have a male relative? Hmm...
            We got burned at the stake.

Oh, and another tangly long hair girl here! Honestly, I haven't found anything that really seems to work well. I just pin my hair up or braid it and call it a day.

Later that same day I read an article on a local newspage where it spoke of Disney shutting down several hundred of their international channels, including the National Geographic Channel, and move it all to their streaming platform Disney+. I hate to say it but in the long run this is going to cost them money because how many people are going to continue buying subscriptions to n-amount of services until they call it quits because you just can't continue to buy content that you don't all have use for.
            I think a big part of this push is the desire to eliminate dependence on third-party platforms, namely, cable and satellite TV services, and sell directly to consumers. Gets rid of blackouts due to contract disputes, equipment rental fees, and the like.

And... geoblocking is a real thing so frak them... yo ho, a pirate I will continue to be.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Zandras.ashes View Post
              JT2- I have long hair and have tamed the unruliness by using Redken Mega soft products, Matrix leave in conditioner and Kenra blow dry spray. I honestly think the Kenra helps with tangles more than the Matrix. Not the cheapest products but they last me forever as I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week.
              I'll have to check those out. Although I don't blow dry my hair. I let it air dry. I'm a low maintenance kinda woman.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus
              Good for you!! I love it when these huge companies like Netflix and Disney complain that people share usernames and passwords. It costs them billions they say. Oh, poor little companies.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty
              We got burned at the stake.

Oh, and another tangly long hair girl here! Honestly, I haven't found anything that really seems to work well. I just pin my hair up or braid it and call it a day.

Yes I do that sometimes too. I should make a call to get mine cut. When it's shoulder length again, this won't be such an issue.

Comment

I'll have to check those out. Although I don't blow dry my hair. I let it air dry. I'm a low maintenance kinda woman.
                I don't even own a hairdryer.

If I would blow dry my hair, the result would look as if I stuck my fingers in the electrical socket.
                Or would have the biggest caucasian afro ever.

I don't even bother combing it -- totally pointless and would just break the comb.
                Except when I wash it, obviously.

I love it when these huge companies like Netflix and Disney complain that people share usernames and passwords. It costs them billions they say. Oh, poor little companies.
                I have a Netflix account, which for now I'm quite satisfied with, but when, at such time, it's just sitting there unused, I'll end my subscription.

I have an account which I can share with one other, and my aunt uses it to watch film with her kids in school. She always asks first.

Comment

Amazon looking to buy MGM has been known for a while. Netflix, at one point, was in the running too.
                  That they came to an agreement is fresh news though. However, with all the merging and the inevitable monopolies that will happen, the merge has come under scrutiny from, among others Amy Klobuchar (D) who wants the DOJ to do a proper investigation. And apparently Amazon is also under American and International scrutiny for some -- possibly shady -- business practices... so we'll have to wait and see where this ends up.

There is a huge amount of anger right now about the Discovery Plus channel. HGTV fans are in an absolute uproar about having to pay more for the same shows that they are already paying for on cable. It calmed down a bit when we found out that most of our faves are still going to air new on HGTV. In Canada, however, that is not true.

I'm a bit anxious also about the sharing of passwords business. *looks around nervously*

And on the hair subject. I have very straight hair and don't ever remember having a tangle. Maybe when I was young. I blow dry it because it looks like **** when I don't. But it always looks the same no matter what. I remember visiting a cousin and getting called a number of rude names in the morning when I got up looking exactly the same as when I went to bed and her curly hair was all over the place. Yet, trying to style straight hair is useless.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Well, I'm off for my Covid test in a few minutes. I hope it's the one where you stick the swab up your nose yourself and not one where they do it. When they do it, I swear it's like they touch your brain with that thing! My brain is already sore.

ETA: They did the swab but it wasn't as bad as my other ones.

There is a huge amount of anger right now about the Discovery Plus channel. HGTV fans are in an absolute uproar about having to pay more for the same shows that they are already paying for on cable. It calmed down a bit when we found out that most of our faves are still going to air new on HGTV. In Canada, however, that is not true.
                    I am angry about Discovery Plus myself. New episodes of my favorite Animal Planet shows go there and not cable (unless this has changed and I don't know about it). It's like why should I pay for cable if I can't even see new content? I'm already paying for 4 streaming channels - Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime (though that's more for the free shipping than for the streaming). I refuse to pay any more.

And on the hair subject. I have very straight hair and don't ever remember having a tangle. Maybe when I was young. I blow dry it because it looks like **** when I don't. But it always looks the same no matter what. I remember visiting a cousin and getting called a number of rude names in the morning when I got up looking exactly the same as when I went to bed and her curly hair was all over the place. Yet, trying to style straight hair is useless.

OMG, yes!! I've tried to curl mine so many times. It rarely works. Only way for it to really work is for me to sleep with curlers on, but that's just a ridiculous look AND it's hard for me to sleep that way.
                    Last edited by JT-2; 29 May 2021, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Well, I'm off for my Covid test in a few minutes. I hope it's the one where you stick the swab up your nose yourself and not one where they do it. When they do it, I swear it's like they touch your brain with that thing! My brain is already sore.

ETA: They did the swab but it wasn't as bad as my other ones.

I am angry about Discovery Plus myself. New episodes of my favorite Animal Planet shows go there and not cable (unless this has changed and I don't know about it). It's like why should I pay for cable if I can't even see new content? I'm already paying for 4 streaming channels - Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime (though that's more for the free shipping than for the streaming). I refuse to pay any more.

OMG, yes!! I've tried to curl mine so many times. It rarely works. Only way for it to really work is for me to sleep with curlers on, but that's just a ridiculous look AND it's hard for me to sleep that way.
                      My SIL has curly hair, but she wants it to be straight so she sleeps in curlers. ??? I didn't even know she had curly hair until many years after I met her. Mr. SR says she has always done that. My brain is screaming "Are you insane?"
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

More straight hair shenanigans... You've all seen Frozen: remember the scene where Anna wakes up on coronation day and her hair looks like a hurricane ripped through it? Yeah, that's so my hair in the morning.

Streaming services... so far, we have Disney+ and HBO Max. Was tempted by Smithsonian, but now that it's been folded into Paramount+, which has a whole lot of stuff I'm NOT interested in...meh. It'd be cheaper just to add Smithsonian onto Dish. Discovery+ is also meh, we've got all them on Dish already. Now, AMC+...that's got potential.

*innocently whistles "Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life For Me"*
                        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

My SIL has curly hair, but she wants it to be straight so she sleeps in curlers. ??? I didn't even know she had curly hair until many years after I met her. Mr. SR says she has always done that. My brain is screaming "Are you insane?"
                          I guess you always want what you don't have. Back in the late 80s/early 90s, I used to perm my hair. But then pretty much everyone permed their hair back then.

More straight hair shenanigans... You've all seen Frozen: remember the scene where Anna wakes up on coronation day and her hair looks like a hurricane ripped through it? Yeah, that's so my hair in the morning.
                          OMG, that is exactly me too. I never related to a fictional character like that before.

Streaming services... so far, we have Disney+ and HBO Max. Was tempted by Smithsonian, but now that it's been folded into Paramount+, which has a whole lot of stuff I'm NOT interested in...meh. It'd be cheaper just to add Smithsonian onto Dish. Discovery+ is also meh, we've got all them on Dish already. Now, AMC+...that's got potential.
                          I wonder if cable/fios/Dish/whatever will eventually be forced to lower their prices due to people using streaming.

Comment

Funny that you should mention that because I have a very good friend who's an ER nurse. She kept telling her patients that it wouldn't hurt as much as they thought it would and that it would be over and done with before they realized it.

Then she had to get tested a first time and since that, she stopped telling her patients that it wouldn't hurt as much as they thought, CAUSE IT DOES HURT!!

Now she tells them she knows it hurts but it has to be done.

Comment

Funny that you should mention that because I have a very good friend who's an ER nurse. She kept telling her patients that it wouldn't hurt as much as they thought it would and that it would be over and done with before they realized it.

Then she had to get tested a first time and since that, she stopped telling her patients that it wouldn't hurt as much as they thought, CAUSE IT DOES HURT!!

Now she tells them she knows it hurts but it has to be done.

A few hours later, and I can still feel it in my sinuses.

Comment

One of my colleagues gives me an evil look when I compare it to the mummification process -- it does not amuse her.

It probably wouldn't me either if I had to have been tested, which apparently I have come close to without knowing it. That same colleague's son had a high-risk contact with a kid who tested positive afterwards. He tested positive too, but she didn't and neither did his brother or his dad. However, my brief contact with her was classified as a low-risk contact so no need for testing.

Comment

Working...
                                X