Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I can't wrap my head around that.
    It should be quite straight forward, like with the fl shot. Pretty much mandatory for the vulnerable -- everyone else can choose to get it or not.

I have a colleague who swears by it ever since she had it bad. She swore never again to be that sick.

Our next phase is a go... from the 18th of May forward, pretty much everthing opens up again, except for bars, cafes and restaurants. Museums, zoo's, markets... obviously keeping the social distancing (of one sheep, 1,5m) in place, facemasks covering nose and mouth. Sports can restart with a maximum of 20 people. Ceremonies, like weddings and funerals, may have up to 30 people gathering but no reception afterwards.

Schools will open partially for 6-7 year olds, 12 year olds and 18 year olds.
    People can go back to the office.

For us it will mean, 2 days at the office, 3 days at home... there can't be more than 50% occupation.

The next phase is scheduled after the 8th of June, so for now we still can't go on any tourist outing... but maybe we'll try the zoo next week. I have a week off -- I really need to get away from work.
    You're lucky. We had an announcement yesterday that Northern Virginia isn't going into phase one until June 1. I hate it but I understand the reason because the vast majority of the cases and the population are up here. My county is discussing whether to even open schools at all in the fall. They have 3 plans that they are discussing that had us in stitches this morning. Social distancing at school? Are you serious? No lunchroom or libraries? No sharing. They need to get a grip.

So, no hair appointment until sometime in June. But my DIL said she loves my new hair color, so I'm good. It's a very pale strawberry blonde with highlights. Some people pay a lot of money to get this color. And it almost perfectly matches Thing 2, except for the highlights. LOL
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Check out a great Joe F. Cameo on Instagram. Handle is john.sheppardsga In the cCmeo he talks encouragingly of this challenging time and the talk comes complete with a wink at the end (a wink that managed to make me feel special just for watching, lol.). He is also sporting an abundance of awesome salt and pepper facial hair.

I can't wrap my head around that.
      It should be quite straight forward, like with the fl shot. Pretty much mandatory for the vulnerable -- everyone else can choose to get it or not.

I have a colleague who swears by it ever since she had it bad. She swore never again to be that sick.

Our next phase is a go... from the 18th of May forward, pretty much everthing opens up again, except for bars, cafes and restaurants. Museums, zoo's, markets... obviously keeping the social distancing (of one sheep, 1,5m) in place, facemasks covering nose and mouth. Sports can restart with a maximum of 20 people. Ceremonies, like weddings and funerals, may have up to 30 people gathering but no reception afterwards.

Schools will open partially for 6-7 year olds, 12 year olds and 18 year olds.
      People can go back to the office.

For us it will mean, 2 days at the office, 3 days at home... there can't be more than 50% occupation.

The next phase is scheduled after the 8th of June, so for now we still can't go on any tourist outing... but maybe we'll try the zoo next week. I have a week off -- I really need to get away from work.
      I hope you find something great to do with your time away.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      You're lucky. We had an announcement yesterday that Northern Virginia isn't going into phase one until June 1. I hate it but I understand the reason because the vast majority of the cases and the population are up here. My county is discussing whether to even open schools at all in the fall. They have 3 plans that they are discussing that had us in stitches this morning. Social distancing at school? Are you serious? No lunchroom or libraries? No sharing. They need to get a grip.

So, no hair appointment until sometime in June. But my DIL said she loves my new hair color, so I'm good. It's a very pale strawberry blonde with highlights. Some people pay a lot of money to get this color. And it almost perfectly matches Thing 2, except for the highlights. LOL
      Sounds like a beautiful shade! I've been letting my glitter filter in. I haven't dyed my hair in over a year. It's mostly single silvery strands, but I'm developing some denser patches near my ears that have me wondering if I'm prepared to keep my commitment to this experiment or if I'd feel more me with the box of dye. I'm inherently lazy when it comes to spending time in salons, so I'm leaning towards the latter.

We are applying to two schools next year. One brick and mortar and one is online. We may not end up with a choice depending on how things go. Our numbers are going up since relaxing standards.
      sigpic
      Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
        I hope you find something great to do with your time away.
        A friend of mine was supposed to have a vacation in Toronto last week, but obviously had to cancel so instead she did a virtual Toronto-vacation drawing a daily report and then adding what she really did that day.

I feel inspired to do something similar, except with pictures instead manipulated in Photoshop.
        I mean, they usually only feature Pat Rock anyway so that's not too hard to accomplish.

We were thinking about visiting Malta, so maybe I'll do something similar to what my friend did.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Another week, another trip to Plagueland the mainland. This time for gardening/house maintenance stuff (sure, a Highlander has a lot of room, but there's still only so much you can cram into it at one time!). Hope you all had a great Wednesday.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
          Well, I just got offered a job. It's not in my intended field. It's for a processor for life insurance policies. I'm quite ambivalent about the whole thing:

1. It's not medical coding.
          2. It's in the same building as my old job, so I'd be running into my former coworkers all the time.
          3. The pay is not as good as a medical coding job.

On the other hand

1. It's a 5 minute drive.
          2. It's a job.
          3. It has dental insurance.
          Hmm, awkward on the location. But yeah, it's a job with insurance and you won't have a bad commute. While you did mention it doesn't pay as well as what you're really looking for, how's the pay in comparison to your old job?

For some reason I can't multi-quote but I have a few thoughts on the lockdown situation. The virus is definitely not a hoax per se but neither is the flu or any other wide spread disease. The thing with Covid is that the models were wrong so the scientists were basing their plans on false info. However we never will know what would have happened if we had not quarantined. Most people also don't understand what it means to flatten the curve. That doesn't mean fewer cases. It just means you stretch it out longer to keep from overwhelming the hospitals. Meanwhile because of all the non-emergency surgeries being cancelled, a lot of hospitals are nearly empty and they are laying off personnel. Then there is the fact that 52% of all US counties have had zero deaths. Why can't we open those places? Georgia has had no increase in deaths since opening. People are starting to wonder why we were first told 2 weeks, then a month and now some states are planning to keep us at home for even longer. There's a lot going on most of it political to the extent that some people don't want to be confused with facts. So no wonder people are making a run for it.
          The flu shot is seldom effective against the strain of flu that actually occurs. It's a gamble. And when they do develop a Covid vaccine, we will start a whole new round of political nonsense. Meanwhile people can't pay their bills or feed their families. I'm old enough to remember the polio outbreak. I even knew several people affected by it. But nothing closed, they developed a vaccine and we lined up to take it. Problem solved. No screaming matches on TV.
          Exactly all of this.

The twins are hilarious, as always! Gonna have to get leashes for them, though.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Well, next week's "vacation" is going to be fascinating.

Thought about going to the zoo but only those who have a membership card can go... and casuals aren't welcome yet.

Ikea's Click & Collect is malfunctioning so yeah... this is getting of to a good start, so that's a no on getting a proper desk.

*grumbles*

Comment

A friend of mine was supposed to have a vacation in Toronto last week, but obviously had to cancel so instead she did a virtual Toronto-vacation drawing a daily report and then adding what she really did that day.

I feel inspired to do something similar, except with pictures instead manipulated in Photoshop.
              I mean, they usually only feature Pat Rock anyway so that's not too hard to accomplish.

We were thinking about visiting Malta, so maybe I'll do something similar to what my friend did.
              What a fun idea- I love it!

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Another week, another trip to Plagueland the mainland. This time for gardening/house maintenance stuff (sure, a Highlander has a lot of room, but there's still only so much you can cram into it at one time!). Hope you all had a great Wednesday.

There is probably only so much you can cram into you car in one trip as well. I can't imagine how organized you must be. And disciplined. I went to Trader Joe's for the first time in eight weeks- and I want to go back tomorrow because I found a new product (strawberry-lemonade kombucha of all things) that I'm in love with.
              sigpic

Comment

After I learned what kombucha is made of, I never want to smell it again, let alone drink it.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Well, next week's "vacation" is going to be fascinating.

Thought about going to the zoo but only those who have a membership card can go... and casuals aren't welcome yet.

Ikea's Click & Collect is malfunctioning so yeah... this is getting of to a good start, so that's a no on getting a proper desk.

*grumbles*
                  Aww man, that sucks!

I'm sure you'll find some fun stuff to do though, you've got an awesome imagination!

There is probably only so much you can cram into you car in one trip as well. I can't imagine how organized you must be. And disciplined. I went to Trader Joe's for the first time in eight weeks- and I want to go back tomorrow because I found a new product (strawberry-lemonade kombucha of all things) that I'm in love with.
                  Disciplined? Me? ...We brought back more chocolate to join what we got last week.

After I learned what kombucha is made of, I never want to smell it again, let alone drink it.
                  That makes two of us. I'll just take a plain lemonade.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Well, I accepted the job today. I figure I can always keep looking for medical coding jobs while I'm working. *sigh*

Speaking of which, we got together with SR Jr. and his family on Sunday. The twins were in rare form.

1. Thing 1 is wearing a man bun because he can't get a haircut right now and the hair is out of control. Thing 2 likes to bonk it until Thing 1 strong arms him and he falls down which makes him cry. Then Dad yells "Stop crying you're not hurt. Leave your brother's hair alone. Don't push your brother."

2. They're learning to use a fork but most of the food ends up in their hair. With Thing 1 this can be a huge problem.

3. Thing 2 fell off the coffee table and banged his knee and needed much comfort. Thing 1 fell down on the sidewalk and scraped his face but never made a sound.

4. They both like to run into the street.

5. Mr. SR seems to have acquired the nickname "Pop Pop". I may be either "Gammy" or "Gabby" we're not sure which.

6. If you say "One", Thing 1 says "Two Three" but Thing 2 says "Elmo."

7. Sesame Street has been a lifesaver and they are learning a lot.
                    I love the stories of Thing 1 and Thing 2!!

Sorry it's not the desired position/industry. What is that old saying- it's easier to find a job when you have a job? Seems to hold true a lot of the time. But first- can you work from home to start until we all have a better handle on covid? Or do they have a plan for working onsite that you are comfortable with? If so, there is so much to be said for insurance and an easy commute. Score two for quality of life.
                    I will be working from home until the building reopens, which they are guessing will be July. So that's another good point - I get to ease back into working full time by being at home.

Hmm, awkward on the location. But yeah, it's a job with insurance and you won't have a bad commute. While you did mention it doesn't pay as well as what you're really looking for, how's the pay in comparison to your old job?
                    Well, when I decided to change careers I knew a pay cut would go with it. I made a good salary as a software engineer, but had crappy quality of life. So I decided it was worth it to take a big pay cut and get some quality of life back.

Comment

Well, when I decided to change careers I knew a pay cut would go with it. I made a good salary as a software engineer, but had crappy quality of life. So I decided it was worth it to take a big pay cut and get some quality of life back.
                      Quality of life is so important. I believe that more and more the older I get. Mr. SR always went for quality instead of like most of his colleagues who worked almost 24/7. He turned down a promotion one time in favor of a pay raise, stayed in his little techie corner and over the years became a legend at his company. Everybody knew to call him when they had an IT problem. This sometimes got annoying, but he was able to come home for dinner and have weekends free. The big salary is just not worth it.
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Quality of life is so important. I believe that more and more the older I get. Mr. SR always went for quality instead of like most of his colleagues who worked almost 24/7. He turned down a promotion one time in favor of a pay raise, stayed in his little techie corner and over the years became a legend at his company. Everybody knew to call him when they had an IT problem. This sometimes got annoying, but he was able to come home for dinner and have weekends free. The big salary is just not worth it.
                        Mr. SR is a wise man.

You're exactly right. My old job had turned into a 24/7 deal, and I just burned out. I was fine with it in my 20s and 30s, but by my 40s I was just done. Also I don't have a mortgage or kids, so it's not like I NEED to make that kind of money, you know?

Comment

I'm sure you'll find some fun stuff to do though, you've got an awesome imagination!
                          Why yes... Took matters into our own hands and went to the local DIY shop. Got everything we needed to make my own desk and DIY'd it in the garden. The finishing touch will happen tomorrow but my sister and I build a desk today -- very basic obviously.

Then we went for a walk and currently waiting for my McDonalds Happy Meal to arrive. It's been 2 months since I last had a hamburger from my favorite burger place. They have been closed but apparently they are open again. Yeehaa!!

I already checked if it's possibly to go kayaking next week (not on the ocean/sea but on a local river), and downloaded some local walks (city and forest). Yeah, despite the setback of not being able to hit the zoo this week, we're off to a good start.

Well, I accepted the job today. I figure I can always keep looking for medical coding jobs while I'm working. *sigh*
                          Is it still okay for me to say... congrats!

Comment

Ummm...what is in that kombucha? Best I can remember the ingredient list in mine was yeast, black tea, green tea, water, strawberry, lemon and sugar.

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Disciplined? Me? ...We brought back more chocolate to join what we got last week.

Chocolate goes on my necessity list

I love the stories of Thing 1 and Thing 2!!

I will be working from home until the building reopens, which they are guessing will be July. So that's another good point - I get to ease back into working full time by being at home.

It might be easier to get a coding job later this fall. I know I'm pointing out the obvious, but so many health care facilities have been essentially closed. Sending all the positive vibes your way. You've put too much thought and effort into this career change. The good WILL follow.

Why yes... Took matters into our own hands and went to the local DIY shop. Got everything we needed to make my own desk and DIY'd it in the garden. The finishing touch will happen tomorrow but my sister and I build a desk today -- very basic obviously.

Then we went for a walk and currently waiting for my McDonalds Happy Meal to arrive. It's been 2 months since I last had a hamburger from my favorite burger place. They have been closed but apparently they are open again. Yeehaa!!

I already checked if it's possibly to go kayaking next week (not on the ocean/sea but on a local river), and downloaded some local walks (city and forest). Yeah, despite the setback of not being able to hit the zoo this week, we're off to a good start.

I want to see a pic of the DIY desk. Get any good toys with the Happy Meal?
                            sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

I'm glad you're going for it. Just think of this as a stepping stone to getting the job you really want.

Agreed.

Awesome! Lots of crafty and sporty stuff to do, and good weather for it.

Yay for MickeyD's! They're still open over here, but only drive-thru.

Chocolate goes on my necessity list
                              Yep.

Comment

Thank you!! *hugs*

It might be easier to get a coding job later this fall. I know I'm pointing out the obvious, but so many health care facilities have been essentially closed. Sending all the positive vibes your way. You've put too much thought and effort into this career change. The good WILL follow.
                                Yeah, you're absolutely correct. Espcially since I am new to the field and need training. With everyone working at home, that is pretty tough. I'm not sure how it's going to work out with my new job but we'll see.

And thanks! *hug

I'm glad you're going for it. Just think of this as a stepping stone to getting the job you really want.
                                Thanks!! Yeah, that's a good way to think about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X