Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    It snowed plenty but it melted on impact so no snowman.

There's plenty in the Ardennes but I doubt I'll be able to get my dad and sister to go enjoy it this weekend.
    It's been exactly a year since mom passed away so I don't know...
    Go for it! My mom and I started a tradition after my dad died. Every year that we can, we visit his favorite lake, pour in his favorite beer, and toast to his life. Maybe you could go away as a celebration of life, knowing it would make your mom happier to see you more actively enjoying life than spending the weekend quietly. I'm not really religious, but I believe their spirits are always near. Maybe something like that would fit with your beliefs, whatever they may be.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

I can happily report I did not break the mainland while I was over there. All went well, and I'm back for more mayhem here. Speaking of which...

Eeeek on the chest pain! Glad to hear it turned out to just be exercise-related. I've gotten pains like that when I work my torso a little too much, so I know what that's like.

LOL on the snackage. Hey, whatever works, am I right?
    I think the medicine turned my taste buds. The Reese's were donated to the family stash and the hostess cakes, well, I remembered why I stopped eating them years ago. Maybe they were just stale, but, yuck. I was just tempted by the flavors. I love strawberry and lemon baked goods.

Glad both you and the mainland survived the trip. And that you found some time for fun while you were there.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday and Happy Leap Day!

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
      I think the medicine turned my taste buds. The Reese's were donated to the family stash and the hostess cakes, well, I remembered why I stopped eating them years ago. Maybe they were just stale, but, yuck. I was just tempted by the flavors. I love strawberry and lemon baked goods.

Glad both you and the mainland survived the trip. And that you found some time for fun while you were there.
      Aww, I'm sorry to hear the treats didn't work out, that sucks. Strawberry and lemon are two of my faves as well...at least now I know to avoid the Hostess cakes.

And if the mainland thought I was done...we're probably going back next week.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I just had a LOL-moment looking through houses-for-sale.

Found a nice house build in 1850, and clicked on streetview which leads you to Google Maps... and it wasn't there. It should be there but it wasn't. Made me laugh (and question the validity of the add ).

Go for it! My mom and I started a tradition after my dad died. Every year that we can, we visit his favorite lake, pour in his favorite beer, and toast to his life. Maybe you could go away as a celebration of life, knowing it would make your mom happier to see you more actively enjoying life than spending the weekend quietly. I'm not really religious, but I believe their spirits are always near. Maybe something like that would fit with your beliefs, whatever they may be.
        Yeah, that does sound like a good thing.

We're not religious either.
        I don't believe in gods or goddesses, but I do find peace in the pagan sites of old.

I think the essence of who she was, of who my grandmothers were, lives on in us, in me. There's plenty of times when I do something and realize that it's something they did too. Which does include visualizing the dubious looks they used to give me when I come up with some crazy idea or some such they think will fail spectacularly but I'm convinced it'll work (and when it doesn't, they probably have a field day in the afterlife )
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

Found a nice house build in 1850, and clicked on streetview which leads you to Google Maps... and it wasn't there. It should be there but it wasn't. Made me laugh (and question the validity of the add ).
          Ah, the marvels of modern technology!
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

So, we survived. Though Thing 2 has a runny nose and now my throat is scratchy.

1. They both love balloons and call them "loon" so I bought 2 dinosaur helium balloons to take along. Unfortunately, it was a very blustery day and when Mr. SR opened the trunk of the car, they blew away. One caught on the fence at the dog park, so he was able to rescue it. But the other one is at the top of a tall tree. The twins loved it and enjoyed bopping themselves on the head and screaming "loon."

2. They really love books and want to be read to constantly and let you know by climbing into your lap and pointing at the book shelf. Then you have to explain that they need to go get a book, so you have to lift them up all over again. Usually, they get distracted and wander off before the book is finished, so we may never know if that little bird finds his mother or why the llama is so mad at mama. "Go Dog Go" is their favorite for some reason but they call it "Dough Dog." Cute, but you should never repeat a child's mispronunciation or you will be stuck with it forever so we're working on that.

3. They have a "first word list" to which we added "vroom" and "thank you." (Thing 2 only on the last one. Thing 1 remains ungrateful.) SR Jr. wondered if I had them speaking in complete sentences with perfect grammar yet, but sadly not.

4. If you wonder aloud if someone needs a diaper change, the guilty one will bring you a diaper and the other one helpfully hands over the diaper cream.

5. They love giving hugs. Thing 2 especially likes getting a running start and grabbing you around the knees. If you forget to say "best hug in the whole wide world" he will stare at you until you say it. We have to repeat this at least 49 times.

6. They can't get enough to eat. If you open the refrigerator, they come running like the walking dead looking for brains and watch you until you produce something for them. Thing 1 is a fast eater and Thing 2 is pokey like his dad. Thing 1 carefully watches Thing 2's high chair tray hoping he will share. Sometimes he puts bits of food where Thing 1 can reach it and sometimes he reaches over and holds Thing 1's hand so he can't get his food.

We had a great time but went to bed last night at 8pm.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I seriously wish I was an animator right now, cause these are gold scripts.

The last time I had a toddler wrap themselves around my knees, I nearly fell over. Also, I didn't see them because I was wearing a stormtrooper helmet which limits your vision.

Comment

Thanks for the update, SR!!

The twins continue to be adorable. But I understand your need to go to bed early.

Comment

The last time I had a toddler wrap themselves around my knees, I nearly fell over. Also, I didn't see them because I was wearing a stormtrooper helmet which limits your vision.
                  It helps if you sit down, especially for the repeat run by huggings. Thing 1 can sometimes be a bit standoffish and gives you a cold shoulder while he veers off in another direction. Probably looking for a book to read.

I forgot also that we made a game out of putting everything away before bedtime. They loved it. At least for now until they figure out they have been tricked.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                    I forgot also that we made a game out of putting everything away before bedtime. They loved it. At least for now until they figure out they have been tricked.
                    Enjoy it while that lasts...

Comment

Yeah, that does sound like a good thing.

We're not religious either.
                      I don't believe in gods or goddesses, but I do find peace in the pagan sites of old.

I think the essence of who she was, of who my grandmothers were, lives on in us, in me. There's plenty of times when I do something and realize that it's something they did too. Which does include visualizing the dubious looks they used to give me when I come up with some crazy idea or some such they think will fail spectacularly but I'm convinced it'll work (and when it doesn't, they probably have a field day in the afterlife )
                      I was thinking of you and your family this weekend. I found the first anniversary particularly hard.

The thing with the house is messed up. It sounds like the Airbnb's you hear about where guests show up and it's nothing like the photos on the rental listing.

So, we survived. Though Thing 2 has a runny nose and now my throat is scratchy.
                      These kids totally crack me up. I'm not sure which mental image is better, the loon smack down or the Walking Dead looking for brains I still know most of Llama Llama Red Pajama by heart. These posts make me so nostalgic.
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

These kids totally crack me up. I'm not sure which mental image is better, the loon smack down or the Walking Dead looking for brains I still know most of Llama Llama Red Pajama by heart. These posts make me so nostalgic.
                        I know. We used to read Go Dog Go and Are You My Mother to our son. I just know the twins are going to grow up loving to read as much as their parents and grandparents do. My DIL's mom passed away about 4 years ago. She was an English teacher and would have loved the twins to the moon and back.
                        sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

OMG, the twins continue to be sweet epic comedy muffins! At least they're helpful with the diaper changes...

You and me both!

LOL, now that's a gold script, all right!

It helps if you sit down, especially for the repeat run by huggings. Thing 1 can sometimes be a bit standoffish and gives you a cold shoulder while he veers off in another direction. Probably looking for a book to read.

Oh dear, tricking the munchkins...

Enjoy it while that lasts...
                          My thoughts exactly.

Comment

I was thinking of you and your family this weekend. I found the first anniversary particularly hard.
                            Got a terracotta cat statue (small) which I then proceeded to keep close to my jacket and thus got red dust everywhere.
                            My dad got yellow daffodils (or at least, I assume they'll be yellow cause they weren't showing flowers yet).

We cleaned the stone a little, and then I proceeded to put pots and small tokens upward again on several neighboring stones. Storm managed to send some of them to the neighboring plots. I refrained from emptying a rather large plastic pot of water -- deeming it a hazard blowing around with the wind should I have done that.

We also went looking for my uncle/grandmother's shared plot. My grandfather put fake flowers (wooden ones he made himself) on top of my uncle's tombstone, and then decided to cover them with a blue, plastic bag. We didn't know why but apparently he wanted to protect the pot from freezing to pieces. So, there we were staring at a bright blue, plastic bag, covering fake flowers, on top of a black stone -- I swear, for a moment all three of us wanted to yank that bag off the pot cause it was sticking out like a soar thumb but eventually decided against it and ask our grandfather to do it himself. It's not like it's going to freeze again any time soon.

Also made a quick stop at the tombstone of my mother's uncle, and then decided on a whim to go find our great-grandparents. My dad, more or less, knew where the paternal great-grandparents were situated, but the maternal ones... well, it was a good thing no one else was around to see us running to and from every side of the old grave yard.

After our graveyard adventure, we went for drinks.

Mom would have approved.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Mom would have approved.
                              And that's the important thing. Having a fun adventure and making good memories. Glad you got to do that.

Comment

Got a terracotta cat statue (small) which I then proceeded to keep close to my jacket and thus got red dust everywhere.
                                My dad got yellow daffodils (or at least, I assume they'll be yellow cause they weren't showing flowers yet).

We cleaned the stone a little, and then I proceeded to put pots and small tokens upward again on several neighboring stones. Storm managed to send some of them to the neighboring plots. I refrained from emptying a rather large plastic pot of water -- deeming it a hazard blowing around with the wind should I have done that.

We also went looking for my uncle/grandmother's shared plot. My grandfather put fake flowers (wooden ones he made himself) on top of my uncle's tombstone, and then decided to cover them with a blue, plastic bag. We didn't know why but apparently he wanted to protect the pot from freezing to pieces. So, there we were staring at a bright blue, plastic bag, covering fake flowers, on top of a black stone -- I swear, for a moment all three of us wanted to yank that bag off the pot cause it was sticking out like a soar thumb but eventually decided against it and ask our grandfather to do it himself. It's not like it's going to freeze again any time soon.

Also made a quick stop at the tombstone of my mother's uncle, and then decided on a whim to go find our great-grandparents. My dad, more or less, knew where the paternal great-grandparents were situated, but the maternal ones... well, it was a good thing no one else was around to see us running to and from every side of the old grave yard.

After our graveyard adventure, we went for drinks.

Mom would have approved.
                                You'll have such great memories of doing that. Whenever I'm home in NC, I go to the cemetery and visit my parents and a long line of grandparents, etc. I sometimes remember people that I have long forgotten.

My DIL just posted pics of what happened when she left the twins alone for 5 minutes. They found the diaper box, scattered them all over the room and Thing 2 was sitting in the box. Thing 1 seems to be laughing up a storm. Total destruction.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X