Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
    FH- Scotland question. Would you have felt safe traveling solo by car? Looks like I can hit what I want by train, except the Isle of Sky, but...I think I would enjoy it more with the flexibility of a car. I travel solo frequently, but for some reason the thought of driving alone is making me slightly nervous for this trip. I guess because I expect some of the stretches of road to not be so heavily traveled. I'm still having flashbacks to my Olympic Peninsula/Oregon road trip when I ended up lost in a wireless/GPS deadzone and on a volcano.
    That's a definite yes.

All roads are well tended to, and GPS is everywhere in Scotland.
    If roads are closed for repair or events, there's always lots of information given as to where, when and for how long.

If there's one piece of advice I can give you as far as car choice goes, pick a SUV. A Juke or a Qashqai or a Kadjar... doesn't matter, just something that's high on its wheels and likes driving around on smaller roads. Something that sets you a little higher on the road with a better view of the surroundings too.

We were going to Scotland again this summer but plane tickets are too expensive so we will be going to the lake district, Lake Windermere (Beatrix Potter country).

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    I have not used Linked In. I should give it a try. Thanks for the idea!!
    It can be helpful -- it just needs to be up to date. I like it because I've set it so it shows me job opportunities I might be interested in (not really looking for something else, but you never know something passing by that looks like a whole lot more fun than what I do know).

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    His sister changed to an iPhone recently and nobody in the fam can adequately explain the cloud to her.
    Maybe this will help...

Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Probably not. She is one of the most untechsavvy people I know. It's amazing to me how really smart people don't understand the cloud. We have a friend who is a rocket scientist. Seriously, an honest to God rocket scientist who is in the Air Force on loan to NASA. A while back Mr. SR had to explain how the cloud works to him. Personally, I think he is overthinking it but I just like things simple. I don't need to know where the cloud is or how it got there. I just know it keeps my stuff safe and I know how to get it back. Done.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the cloud... ...I simply don't trust the cloud enough.

Comment

JT2- Linked in is also good for industry news. I think you'll like it, well, after you get past the fun of setting up the profile, but that will go quickly.

SR- that cracked me up. A rocket scientist who doesn't understand the cloud? What kind of equipment are they working on every day? Good luck with all those tech challenged beings in your world. I'm just glad we have enough youngsters in my extended family that I am no longer point one for my parents tech support. I think my dad gets a new phone every six months because he "breaks" his. I just don't even ask anymore.

That's a definite yes.

All roads are well tended to, and GPS is everywhere in Scotland.
          If roads are closed for repair or events, there's always lots of information given as to where, when and for how long.

If there's one piece of advice I can give you as far as car choice goes, pick a SUV. A Juke or a Qashqai or a Kadjar... doesn't matter, just something that's high on its wheels and likes driving around on smaller roads. Something that sets you a little higher on the road with a better view of the surroundings too.

We were going to Scotland again this summer but plane tickets are too expensive so we will be going to the lake district, Lake Windermere (Beatrix Potter country).
          Thanks! That makes me feel better. Great tip on the car too. I didn't realize Beatrix Potter stories featured Lake Windermere. I bet it will be beautiful!
          sigpic
          Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

I didn't realize Beatrix Potter stories featured Lake Windermere. I bet it will be beautiful!
            She was from around there somewhere.

As was the English poet Woodsworth.

Comment

TGIF everyone! Some weeks, I believe medals are deserved for making it to Friday. Heading back to Chicago next week. Forecast is rain, rain, rain, blah, but if I can get just a few breaks to walk the lakefront I'll be happy. And, of course, pizza, Portillos, and lemon pancakes. I love eating in that city, lol.
              sigpic
              Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

TGIF everyone! Some weeks, I believe medals are deserved for making it to Friday. Heading back to Chicago next week. Forecast is rain, rain, rain, blah, but if I can get just a few breaks to walk the lakefront I'll be happy. And, of course, pizza, Portillos, and lemon pancakes. I love eating in that city, lol.
                TGIF, indeed!

Have fun in Chicago! I was there once for a Stargate convention. I didn't really see the city, though.

Comment

We're having a BBQ tomorrow with the residents of my building.
                  Majorly looking forward to meeting some of new tenants.

Comment

We're having a BBQ tomorrow with the residents of my building.
                    Majorly looking forward to meeting some of new tenants.
                    That sounds like a lot of fun!! Enjoy!

This Sunday is Father's Day. My dad passed away a long time ago, but my brother celebrates it. I'll be over his house, for that and to celebrate my new nephew-in-law's birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                      That sounds like a lot of fun!! Enjoy!

This Sunday is Father's Day. My dad passed away a long time ago, but my brother celebrates it. I'll be over his house, for that and to celebrate my new nephew-in-law's birthday.
                      And I get to help SR Jr. celebrate his very first Father's Day. He can't wait until the twins can make breakfast for him.
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

BBQ and clean-up was a success.

The kids of the Egyptian family above us made me work hard, and thus I made two new friends.

Comment

I have so many things I SHOULD do, but don't have the motivation to actually do them.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                          And I get to help SR Jr. celebrate his very first Father's Day. He can't wait until the twins can make breakfast for him.
                          I'm picturing the twins as 5 year-olds causing terror in the kitchen, and poor SR Jr's wife having to do damage control!

BBQ and clean-up was a success.

The kids of the Egyptian family above us made me work hard, and thus I made two new friends.
                          Sweet!!

Comment

I went for a drive and something is dangling underneath my car. Now I'm sitting here, I don't know exactly where, waiting for my brother to look at it. ARGH!

ETA: It was my exhaust pipe falling off. My brother took it all the way off and I drove it home. Unfortunately, he said this will be expensive to fix. The car is 11 years old, so this shouldn't surprise me.

ETA 2: I took the car to my normal mechanic. $2700, almost all of it parts. I think that's what the car is probably WORTH at this point. I'm going to get more estimates. Out of work JT didn't need this.
                            Last edited by JT-2; 17 June 2019, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Where is everybody??

Some pics to liven up the thread:

What's personal space, John?

Somebody needs to come up with a quote for this. My brain is too tired to come up with anything.

Comment

John out of frame: "I swear, we're just friends."
                                Teyla and Ronon in the frame looking like that.
                                John out of frame: "We're not?"
                                Ronon: "Did that kiss feel like a 'just friends' kiss?"

Comment

Working...
                                X