No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had to split this up, because it was too long. Whoops.

Originally posted by PearlofAtlantis1976 View Post
    There's something that I want absolutely to know the most, now that we have
    Spoiler:
    Elizabeth back. What has happened to her, with every single detail, once she was left in Asuras in the hands of the Replicators? Now, that she is back, she will have to address that. Questions will definitely be asked, whether it will be the IOA asking them or whoever, but answers will definitely be demanded from her. The IOA will want to know what happened. And also on a more psychological level, Heightmeyer will definitely be called to intervene and I am sure that they will make it somewhat mandatory for Elizabeth to talk to her. Everyone will definitely want to know how compromised she actually was, and how is she feeling now on a more personal, psychological level.

She appears to be the same strong woman as she has always been, stubborn and determined to protect everyone on Atlantis no matter what, hence why she did what she did, to make sure she would go on the mission to Asuras 2, and hence why she wanted to have been left there and be destroyed along with Asuras 2, but in what state of mind was she in then, in order to make such decision?

Now back in Atlantis, after the mission to Asuras 2, she told John she will not give up without a fight, meaning she is determined to regain her place in Atlantis, but how about her deeper feelings, her deeper fears? I mean, a situation like the one she was in, changes people, right?

Will she remember what happened in Asuras before she was placed on that moon, or will there have to be some sort of treatment, “prescribed” by Heightmeyer, that would help her remember those moments?

I see also John and Elizabeth being called out to explain what exactly happened during that first mission to Asuras (Lifeline episode), that started up as a mission to retrieve a ZPM in order to be able to save the city, and ended up the way it did. Will the IOA demand some sort of responsibility from Elizabeth as on the events that happened on that mission?
    I strongly believe that Elizabeth did what she did on the Replicator planet because she was in a position in which she was capable of doing something to save her team and her city. She is not much different from John, Rodney, and the rest of her senior staff in that she will do whatever it takes to protect her people. Having active nanites in her system does add ambiguity to the situation, simply because her nanites have affected her on a very personal, emotional level, and however strong she is mentally, she was clearly very deeply affected when she was made to believe that two entire years of her life in Atlantis were only a fabrication in her mind. As a result, I have considered the possibility that part of the reason that Elizabeth didn't want to return to Atlantis was that she didn't want to live depending on something that forced her through a very difficult emotional experience. However, regardless of her own personal emotional connection to her nanites, I believe that in the very desperate circumstances that her team and her city was in, Elizabeth took the bullet because something more pressing than her individual needs and wants demanded her to make that sacrifice, and she is willing to do so again in "Primum Movens," not wanting to return to Atlantis because she didn't want to put her city at risk. Her sense of responsibility toward her city was so great, and she never would have wanted to return to Atlantis for the simple reason that she possessed something so immeasurably dangerous in her body.

All this makes me wonder, now that Elizabeth is back home, how her personal feelings and beliefs will be resolved. I agree that it would be intriguing to watch her internal struggles as she grapples with the reality that she still has nanites in her system, even though they have been rendered inert thanks to Rodney's anti-Replicator watch. But the nanites are malicious little robots, and even though there are no more Replicators out there in the Pegasus Galaxy, at least those of which we know, I have a feeling that not all remnants of them are truly gone. I feel like what John says here when he went back for Elizabeth foreshadows something darker for future episodes: "It’ll never be over... Getting rid of you and this place doesn’t wipe the slate clean. Who knows what’s still out there?... [That Replicator (Franibeth)] proves there’s no knowing whether they’ll ever be gone." I'm interested in what dangers still lie in the future for our characters and how they will come to face them and deal with their personal feelings and beliefs in the midst of these unending threats. And of course, now that Kate Heightmeyer is also back, I agree that future episodes showcasing the characters' psychological conflicts would provide her with great opportunities to make appearances and help our characters through their personal struggles.

Finally, I also agree that it would be interesting to see John and Elizabeth have a conversation about what happened on the Replicator planet over two years ago. We never saw them talk about it on-screen, and I feel that this subject is going to come up at some point, especially when the loss of Elizabeth impacted John as deeply as it did. On one hand, I don't think that John would bring up the subject himself, and Elizabeth might also not unnecessarily initiate that conversation herself. However, if Elizabeth is asked by those in higher authoritative positions, such as those in the IOA, about what happened to her on the Replicator planet, then this subject might inadvertently give way to a one-on-one conversation between John and Elizabeth about what happened on that fateful day. I think that it'd be important to see them both confront this subject, because even though it could be left to rest in the past, the consequences of that day were far too devastating to be simply forgotten the day after Elizabeth comes home.
    sigpic
    Please visit sga-rising.com for a Season 6 of Stargate: Atlantis
    View my projects on FF.net || AO3 || YouTube

(Formerly known as Sparks of Atlantis)

Comment

Thank you FH and Sequoia for the info on how to retrieve my old account.

But if Elizabeth was having the feeling that her relationship with Mike was going on a more serious direction, why did she agree then to have lunch with him? Did she want to test herself? Was she allowing herself to go with the flow to see what might come from it?

I had never thought about it that way, the way that Elizabeth had possibly talked about Mike previously with Teyla. Now that I think of it, Teyla’s reaction, when Elizabeth came to tell her she was having lunch with Mike, wasn’t exactly a reaction of surprise.

She probably felt a sense of regret for having rejected Mike, but in the end she ended up where she always were, divided between her duties and her personal feelings.

Being the situation with Mike so close to the situation of the Replicators’ attack (in the episode”First strike”), and the fact she was considering to resign from her position at that time, you think her desire to want to have a relationship with someone, could have weighted also on her decision of wanting to step down? I mean, we all know, the main reason was because the top bureaucrats weren’t having any consideration for her role as the leader of Atlantis. But deep down, do you think it’s possible she ended up making that decision, so quickly, because she was fed up and wanted to think of herself now more and took this opportunity to do it? I honestly don’t believe in that much, since I truly believe her devotion to the city is above anything, and to me, the decision she was making, of wanting to step down at that point, was completely out of character.

I think I like the idea of having Mike Branton making an appearance in Atlantis Rising. Having Elizabeth meeting him again, since to her the events that happened two years ago are still quite fresh, would make her consider a lot of things. She’s no longer the leader of Atlantis, and I wonder if after all what has happened, if she would still want to be the head of Atlantis once again. Not only because of her desire of probably wanting to get close to someone, after all she’s only human, or 97% human, at least for now, but I wonder if she wouldn’t want to pursue a whole different role within the expedition now. Maybe something that would help her give a greater contribution, than the one she was giving, as merely the leader of the expedition.

I couldn’t agree more, and I am not just saying this because I am a hardcore Sparky fan, but John and Elizabeth have grown a lot throughout the seasons, and season 6 was probably the one who showed us the biggest growth, and as such, I am hoping that all this growth will lead to them both allowing themselves to embrace a whole lot of new possibilities, possibilities they might have never even considered before. Their story is definitely one of the most beautiful stories that can ever be told. Not only in the context of SGA but in the whole fictional universe. A couple who has been through all what they did, deserves to be together in the end.

I wonder that myself, now that John has been recently betrayed, how will he embrace a possible relationship, being that he is a person that isn’t very trusting in that aspect, but that in spite of that risked a relationship with Mayel only to be betrayed? How will he now embrace a possible relationship with someone as Elizabeth, specially an Elizabeth that still poses a threat to the city? Mind you that I don’t exactly think that they will immediately jump into each others arms next chance they will have, no. But in order for them to move forward in that direction, the both of them would have to consider certain aspects, and in light of the recent and current events, will John be willing to risk a new relationship with Elizabeth? And would John be fearful of risking a relationship with Elizabeth, if he would think he might lose her again? He had been losing her over and over for the past two years, and as such, would he be able to handle losing her once again now, specially if they would be engaged in a more serious relationship?

I believe the pain John has been suffering all these years, due to the fact he left Elizabeth behind, will subside a bit, now that she’s back. But I also feel that unless Elizabeth will directly tell him that it wasn’t his fault all that happened to her, he will never be able to forgive himself completely, and even though I still have my doubts if he will ever be able to forgive himself.

In the aspect of saving the city and its people, at the expense of one’s own sacrifice, I truly believe Elizabeth isn’t any different from John or Rodney or all the others that are willing to risk their life for the city too.

I believe the nanites, when affected Elizabeth’s mind that first time, chose, what to me, is her biggest strength, her mind, her ability to reasoning and what makes her who she is. And they exploited the biggest fear of Elizabeth, that would be the loss of her mind. To me, that’s probably Elizabeth’s biggest fear, the fact she will lose control over her thoughts and herself and that’s probably also one of the reasons she is able to control the nanites so well, not allowing them to take control over her. She somehow backfired their intentions, and managed to build a protection but also some sort of control over them, due to the fear she has of losing control completely, so her fear, turned into her biggest weapon against them, her resilience in not allowing them to took control made her stronger.

I believe what made her sacrifice herself, besides the obvious fact that she would be willing to sacrifice herself in order to save the city and its people, was also the fact she was fearful of losing control over herself, and as such she would rather die than having to accept such fate. The same happening in the situation of Asuras 2, she couldn’t stop seeing herself as a threat and as someone that at any given moment could completely lose control over oneself. And I am guessing the fear of that ever happen, weighted quite a lot on her decision of wanting to be left behind in order to be destroyed along with Asuras 2, meaning that having her lose control over herself and the nanites, would mean putting the city in grave danger and she was willing to sacrifice herself in order to never allow it to happen.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

One thing re: SGA Rising: There is a dedicated thread for the series right here; your discussion might be more appropriate there.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

You might spoil it for any new readers.

And I still haven't read the finished version of What Dreams May Come -- shame on me.
          Though cannot be spoiled for it since I did a continuity read.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

One thing re: SGA Rising: There is a dedicated thread for the series right here; your discussion might be more appropriate there.
            We began the discussion here in the hopes that other Sparkies might find it interesting, but we'll certainly move it over to the Atlantis Rising thread in order to allow all those following that thread to participate.
            sigpic

Comment

Sparkies will follow.

Maybe not this Sparky, but the others -- sure.

Comment

Well, we might actually move the discussion over to the Atlantis Rising thread, but if you look at our discussion carefully, we’re focusing our thoughts mainly on Elizabeth and John, and on a possible relationship between them, so in a way, the discussion is also suitable for this thread. But I agree that since we’re discussing it in the context of Atlantis Rising, other followers from Atlantis Rising might like to join our discussions there too. And as for spoilers, come on, it has been three years since the last episode was posted, everyone by now has read the episodes more than once, lol, so no problem there, Not to mention that the ones that might not have read it yet, might be sort of curious after reading our discussions so openly and might want to find out what Atlantis Rising actually is. Please note that our intentions are the best, we want people to get more interested in this project, hence why we decided to start discussing it more vividly on the last few days. But okay, I will try to be more careful from now on and will try to use spoilers tags more often, if that makes you feel better.

And FH, it seems that in a way you’re the one spoiling things, lol, because as far as we know, the next episode
                Spoiler:
                hasn’t been written yet, so if you’re actually telling us that you haven’t red the final version of the episode, does that mean the episode will be published sooner than we expected?!

Comment

Well, we might actually move the discussion over to the Atlantis Rising thread, but if you look at our discussion carefully, we’re focusing our thoughts mainly on Elizabeth and John, and on a possible relationship between them, so in a way, the discussion is also suitable for this thread. But I agree that since we’re discussing it in the context of Atlantis Rising, other followers from Atlantis Rising might like to join our discussions there too. And as for spoilers, come on, it has been three years since the last episode was posted, everyone by now has read the episodes more than once, lol, so no problem there, Not to mention that the ones that might not have read it yet, might be sort of curious after reading our discussions so openly and might want to find out what Atlantis Rising actually is. Please note that our intentions are the best, we want people to get more interested in this project, hence why we decided to start discussing it more vividly on the last few days. But okay, I will try to be more careful from now on and will try to use spoilers tags more often, if that makes you feel better.

And FH, it seems that in a way you’re the one spoiling things, lol, because as far as we know, the next episode
                  Spoiler:
                  hasn’t been written yet, so if you’re actually telling us that you haven’t red the final version of the episode, does that mean the episode will be published sooner than we expected?!
                  Thank you for cooperating with SK's request. We at SGA Rising are fully aware that it has been quite some time since the last episode was published, but we feel that putting pressure on our writers will only hurt the creative process. We appreciate the Sparky enthusiasm but this project is a separate entity from the Sparky thread. In the old days, the mods would have swooped in by now.

And yes, it makes us feel much better that our project isn't spoiled for potential readers.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Spoiler:
                    I'm talking about the last episode actually posted -- nope, I'm wrong. I seem to have no updated myself properly. Shame on me. It's Box of Dreams that I haven't read the final version of (and every episode afterwards apparently) -- shame on me.

Gotten confused with someone else's fic... sorry.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                      Thank you for cooperating with SK's request. We at SGA Rising are fully aware that it has been quite some time since the last episode was published, but we feel that putting pressure on our writers will only hurt the creative process. We appreciate the Sparky enthusiasm but this project is a separate entity from the Sparky thread. In the old days, the mods would have swooped in by now.
                      Indeed, and thank you for reiterating that concern. I think I've mentioned before that I used to scoff at other writers who talked about having problems with this kind of situation, but now that I'm experiencing it myself, I finally understand.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                      And yes, it makes us feel much better that our project isn't spoiled for potential readers.
                      And it's not just spoilers for episodes that have already been written. I've encountered plenty of people in various fandoms who prefer to not even read speculation on future episodes/books/films because they consider it to be too spoilerish. We just want to make sure that they can enjoy their experience with the story too.
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        I'm talking about the last episode actually posted -- nope, I'm wrong. I seem to have no updated myself properly. Shame on me. It's Box of Dreams that I haven't read the final version of (and every episode afterwards apparently) -- shame on me.

Gotten confused with someone else's fic... sorry.
                        Thank you for clearing that up. I admit, I was really confused by your previous post.
                        Last edited by Sequoia Hope; 06 September 2016, 08:31 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia Hope View Post
                          Thank you for clearing that up. I admit, I was really confused by your previous post.
                          My apologies for the confusion.

It was your fic title (I think) I mixed up with an episode title.
                          I haven't looked at the list for a long time. Haven't read any fics either for a long time. Last one I read was the one written for the SGA Reverse Bang (Nightengale, I think the title was), and the last one I wrote was... err... something... *goes to check* ... ... It Takes Two To Tango -- a little Sparky with a lot of others mixed in.

Gosh, I forgot about that. Even though I had it beta'd. Haven't even uploaded that yet (except here, many pages ago).

*ponders where the muse went*

She did momentarily return, eager to continue my WWII inspired fic (after watching a WWI themed film - go figure), but after that moment... nothing. I hope she knows her way back for the SGA Reverse Bang cause I signed up for both artist and author this year.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

*ponders where the muse went*

She did momentarily return, eager to continue my WWII inspired fic (after watching a WWI themed film - go figure), but after that moment... nothing. I hope she knows her way back for the SGA Reverse Bang cause I signed up for both artist and author this year.
                            Eeek! Sure hope she comes back soon!

Comment

1K words -- that's the minimum this year -- 1k words... I should be able to pull that off even if she doesn't make a return... Although...

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

1K words -- that's the minimum this year -- 1k words... I should be able to pull that off even if she doesn't make a return... Although...
                                Oh dear...

Comment

Working...
                                X