Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    No comment on Dark Matter, but I decided to watch the pilot of Killjoys just to see. At first I liked it and thought it might be a bit like Firefly, but as it went along I realized I didn't like any of the characters and there was no humor. Those are my 2 absolute musts for any show. If you like dark violence and murky moral situations, this is your thing. There is a badass female character I almost liked, so that might win you over.
    Mmm... okay... I shall see then.
    Thanks.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Interesting reading the comments about Dark Matter and Killjoys. I think I may end up checking out Torri's episodes on DM just for the heck of it, but nothing else. Killjoys doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

In that case you're best off searching for the end of episode 2 for her introductory cameo and the beginning of episode 10 for her only other appearance.

And yes, they don't have episode titles, just numbers. Apparently her character's name is "Commander Delaney Truffault," which is something I didn't actually catch from the show. I think I just preferred to think of her as "Corporate Commander Torri."

And if you're feeling nostalgic you can check out David Hewlett's episodes (as I recall he's in the beginning of episodes 5 and 6) to see "Angry Corporate McKay". He even does the "horrified McKay face" when the female lead threatens him one time.

Although, I feel a little bad for saying this, but it seems the intervening years seemingly haven't been kind to his hairline.
        Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 03 September 2015, 10:59 AM.
        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
          Although, I feel a little bad for saying this, but it seems the intervening years seemingly haven't been kind to his hairline.
          Don't worry - he occasionally tweets about it too. I especially love his morning-face tweets.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

In that case you're best off searching for the end of episode 2 for her introductory cameo and the beginning of episode 10 for her only other appearance.

And yes, they don't have episode titles, just numbers. Apparently her character's name is "Commander Delaney Truffault," which is something I didn't actually catch from the show. I think I just preferred to think of her as "Corporate Commander Torri."

And if you're feeling nostalgic you can check out David Hewlett's episodes (as I recall he's in the beginning of episodes 5 and 6) to see "Angry Corporate McKay". He even does the "horrified McKay face" when the female lead threatens him one time.
            Thanks for the info; I'll keep an eye out for that!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Don't worry - he occasionally tweets about it too. I especially love his morning-face tweets.
            Well, at least he seems to have a sense of humor about it!
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I've only watched two episodes of Killjoys. I don't really like the third guy, and I'd have been happy with the two original characters, but I'll finish it anyway to see if I want to continue next season. Heck, I'll watch it just to see Amanda Tapping.

Yeah, I'm not ashamed or anything to say I like DM, because I really do. Tbh the part that bothers me the most about it is how unoriginal some of the plot elements are; they seem to be lifted straight from other shows or are too cliché as ideas.

It's actually the actors who have sold the show for me. I think they play off one another really well, and they kept me guessing about the big reveal until the end, which I did not expect at all.

Anyway, I do wonder if Torri will be back. There's still room for her character to make an appearance as far as I know, but whether there will be reason to is something I'll have to wait to see.

By the way, any of you on tumblr? That's where I've been spending most of my fandom life recently. (Still making that gif set, but I've recently started Netflix again for the first time in years and have started watching the Walking Dead, so now I have even more shows to get through, argh!)
              rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family and College Football Saturday! Good luck to everyone's teams!

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
                By the way, any of you on tumblr? That's where I've been spending most of my fandom life recently. (Still making that gif set, but I've recently started Netflix again for the first time in years and have started watching the Walking Dead, so now I have even more shows to get through, argh!)
                I am! I'll send you a PM.

Comment

Football? Can't I just watch X-Files?
                  sigpic
                  Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
                    Yeah, I'm not ashamed or anything to say I like DM, because I really do. Tbh the part that bothers me the most about it is how unoriginal some of the plot elements are; they seem to be lifted straight from other shows or are too cliché as ideas.

It's actually the actors who have sold the show for me. I think they play off one another really well, and they kept me guessing about the big reveal until the end, which I did not expect at all.

Anyway, I do wonder if Torri will be back. There's still room for her character to make an appearance as far as I know, but whether there will be reason to is something I'll have to wait to see.
                    I noticed that about the cliches too, but I'm not usually one to dislike something solely on the basis of it being unoriginal. So much of fiction and sci-fi is based on or inspired by existing tropes and archetypes already.

Torri's character is actually really interesting one, because it's unclear if she's a friend or a foe, so she could conceivably develop into either a good villain or anti-hero or both. And I can't help but feel there's probably an interest backstory there. Or at least there should be.

I suppose it could be my own pro-Torri personal biases, but I was rather interested in learning more about her character in particular.
                    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I noticed that about the cliches too, but I'm not usually one to dislike something solely on the basis of it being unoriginal. So much of fiction and sci-fi is based on or inspired by existing tropes and archetypes already.

Torri's character is actually really interesting one, because it's unclear if she's a friend or a foe, so she could conceivably develop into either a good villain or anti-hero or both. And I can't help but feel there's probably an interest backstory there. Or at least there should be.

I suppose it could be my own pro-Torri personal biases, but I was rather interested in learning more about her character in particular.
                      Oh, yeah, I'm definitely interested in her character as well as her company. I even found the names of the corporation and her ship, Mikkei and Murakami respectively, to be interesting; is it an Asian company? Are they all actually from Earth? Is it multinational like Weyland-Yutani in Aliens? How cutthroat is the competition between her and the others like Ferrous?

She may not be an evil character, but I think she's certainly sneaky and opportunistic. She's also smart, which I like.

Of course, after what happened in one of the last eps, she's not in a very good position. Here's hoping that with the series renewal, they'll actually take the opportunity to explore her and what she stands for more in-depth.
                      rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

Here's this week's College Football Roundup! It's a good day in Atlantis as Air Force smacked Morgan State 63-7, and Navy beat Colgate 48-10. USC clobbered Arkansas State 55-6, Georgia beat Louisiana Monroe 51-14, and Virginia Tech will be playing Ohio State on Monday evening (Go Hokies!).

Comment

Soccer update: Belgium won from Cyprus with 1-0. The Netherlands lost another game, 3-0, from Turkey. Wales and Israel scored nothing in their game, so we're one step closer to going to the European Soccer Championship in 2016. The Netherlands, they are further and further away from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            Soccer update: Belgium won from Cyprus with 1-0. The Netherlands lost another game, 3-0, from Turkey. Wales and Israel scored nothing in their game, so we're one step closer to going to the European Soccer Championship in 2016. The Netherlands, they are further and further away from it.
                            Wish I could get the Fox Soccer Channel so I could watch some of those qualifiers. Especially when none of the college football games were able to hold my interest.
                            I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

My team is doing so badly in the European Qualifiers that I don't think I want to speak of it.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I'm currently watching Team Mulder and Scully with special quests.
                                sigpic
                                Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Working...
                                X