Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Belts are good for that.
    Never see the point of buying one when I tend to put the weight back on over the winter.
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Oh did I miss out on the discussion about the others shows we watch?

There aren't too many around that I love anymore. I think the best show still on the air that I watch, is Vikings. But even that is sometimes awkward to watch because it's impossible to make murder and pillaging seem heroic. So I tend to find myself rooting against the main characters in all the most exciting parts of the show.

There are several others, I usually enjoy watching, even if I can't really claim to be a fan on the level I used to be for Stargate, for instance.

The Flash and Arrow tend to be pretty fun, even if they can be kinda comic book goofy and at other times make no sense at all. Agents of Shield is about the same.

Once Upon a Time is a show I watch sometimes, but it's way too silly to take seriously. But I've gotta say, the end of last season is perhaps the first time I've ever been excited to see what comes next.

And ugh... don't get me started on Game of Thrones. I've very much a former fan with that one.

Just yesterday I finally decided to give Dark Matter a shot, if you guys are curious. I know most of you refuse to watch it on principle, but I can give you own my first impressions. It's much too early to say if I think it's "good" but it's certainly interesting as a premise. I have to admit, the biggest thing that hit me about it is that it's super trippy seeing actors that I'm more used to seeing in other roles play such different characters, and that was even before Torri showed up. I recognized 3 out of the 7 main cast, and seeing Torri's small role in episode 2 as the commander of an interstellar corporation's cruiser makes me suspect she's going to playing an extreeeeemly un Weir character.

So far my verdict is "Pretty OK." Most of the team you'd probably recognize as certain variations on long established tropes for a small close knit Sci-fi crew, but that doesn't mean it will work out badly in the end. One interesting little twist is that the female lead is the leader. And I have a sneaky suspicion that twists and mystery are going to be a major theme of this show. Funnily enough I think the set reminds me a little of the Destiny mixed with Atlantis, which is appropriate perhaps because my feeling is that I'd enjoy this more than SG:U and less than SG:A.

There's certain feeling of familiarity with the show for me, besides the sets and character archetypes and certain themes, I also feel like I've almost certainly heard some variant of the musical score somewhere in other sci-fi before.

EDIT: And as soon as I looked up the musical composer I could instantly remember exactly where. Musical composers and their scores sometimes to have a tendency to reappear like a like Canadian actors in Canadian shows.
      Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 05 July 2015, 07:13 PM.
      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
        Never see the point of buying one when I tend to put the weight back on over the winter.
        Heh!

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
        Just yesterday I finally decided to give Dark Matter a shot, if you guys are curious. I know most of you refuse to watch it on principle, but I can give you own my first impressions. It's much too early to say if I think it's "good" but it's certainly interesting as a premise. I have to admit, the biggest thing that hit me about it is that it's super trippy seeing actors that I'm more used to seeing in other roles play such different characters, and that was even before Torri showed up. I recognized 3 out of the 7 main cast, and seeing Torri's small role in episode 2 as the commander of an interstellar corporation's cruiser makes me suspect she's going to playing an extreeeeemly un Weir character.

So far my verdict is "Pretty OK." Most of the team you'd probably recognize as certain variations on long established tropes for a small close knit Sci-fi crew, but that doesn't mean it will work out badly in the end. One interesting little twist is that the female lead is the leader. And I have a sneaky suspicion that twists and mystery are going to be a major theme of this show. Funnily enough I think the set reminds me a little of the Destiny mixed with Atlantis, which is appropriate perhaps because my feeling is that I'd enjoy this more than SG:U and less than SG:A.

There's certain feeling of familiarity with the show for me, besides the sets and character archetypes and certain themes, I also feel like I've almost certainly heard some variant of the musical score somewhere in other sci-fi before.

EDIT: And as soon as I looked up the musical composer I could instantly remember exactly where. Musical composers and their scores sometimes to have a tendency to reappear like a like Canadian actors in Canadian shows.
        Hmm, some good observations there. If you do decide to stick with it, I'd be interested in hearing how the show develops. Heck, maybe M learned a few lessons from SGA's crash and burn.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          At the Capitol Fourth concert tonight, Robert Davi will be performing Frank Sinatra songs. I thought about going up there and yelling "Koooolllllyyyyaaaa" but it's cool and rainy.
          No way... That would have been amazing.

I agree with you on it being OK. Not outstanding but still worth watching, I think, if only to see how the mystery unravels.

I've already posted my thoughts about it in the appropriate section, but for its faults - and there are a number - I still find it interesting enough to want to know what happens next. The cliffhangers are pretty good.

Now, I probably sound like someone who knows nothing about sci-fi shows today, but since this was the first one that I started watching since Stargate, the slicker tone and atmosphere, the technology, the music - everything felt so different, and I liked that. I feel the same way about Killjoys (which is great btw!). It was like watching Madoka Magica after not having watched an anime since the likes of Sailor Moon in the early 2000's - the difference is incredible.

I see now why people say a show like SG-1 wouldn't work today, although that and SGA will remain my favorite sci-fi shows, along with the X-Files, anyway.

I guess I went on a tangent, but yeah, I'm hoping DM turns out to be better than what everyone's lowest expectations for it seem to be. I think the female characters are actually great - Two is the crew leader and very tough; Five is the oddball, seemingly genius teenager who doesn't seem to share the same history as the rest of the crew; and the Android is my favorite character. A little suspicious but very friendly.

Also, I can't wait to see Commander Truffault again, aka the lovely Torri. She was a bit sly in the second ep, helping out only because it suited her company's interests. I'd like to see more of devious!Torri.

I just wish that on SyFy's website, the picture for DM didn't only show the men. Like, really? Who thought that was fair? At the very least, Five has green hair. Wouldn't that look more interesting on the banner?

/grumble
          rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Challenge #81

This week for the challenge, Girls just wanna have fun! Feature your favorite female musician, singer, band, artist, or actress in your art or fan fic!

Entries due to me by noon your time Monday, July 13th.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Big thank you to Falcon Horus for hosting last week's challenge! She should be posting the entries for that later today.
            ~~~~~
            sigpic

Comment

One interesting little twist is that the female lead is the leader.
              She's gonna die - no doubt about it.

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
              I just wish that on SyFy's website, the picture for DM didn't only show the men. Like, really? Who thought that was fair? At the very least, Five has green hair. Wouldn't that look more interesting on the banner?
              Speaks volumes about who's more important - also don't get attached to the female characters, we're not going to keep them around for long.

Originally posted by mrscopterdoc View Post
              Big thank you to Falcon Horus for hosting last week's challenge! She should be posting the entries for that later today
              I would if I could post something, but I got nothing... ...no entries to show.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                She's gonna die - no doubt about it.
                Well she does appear to have a long term romance already brewing with the male lead. I actually did wonder if some characters were going to get sidelined or killed off eventually because the writers don't know how to keep using them. There is a certain amount of danger for that since many of the crew appear to fill similar roles. They are almost all dangerous badasses have mysterious pasts, that makes them of uncertain trustworthiness.
                "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Did I already mention I'm watching Cedar Cove? Can't remember now; so many TV shows have been listed here.

Recommending it if you like gorgeous PNW scenery and small town cuteness.

And Teryl Rothery.

Speaks volumes about who's more important - also don't get attached to the female characters, we're not going to keep them around for long.
                  I don't hear you. Lalalalalalalala

Seriously, though, I have kept that in mind. But I am also considering the possibility that they've learned from some of their mistakes (whatever they are - I need to re-watch SGA, after all), and the original cast will at least survive the first season. I don't want to dislike the show, and so far I don't, so I'll keep watching as long as it's enjoyable.

Well she does appear to have a long term romance already brewing with the male lead. I actually did wonder if some characters were going to get sidelined or killed off eventually because the writers don't know how to keep using them. There is a certain amount of danger for that since many of the crew appear to fill similar roles. They are almost all dangerous badasses have mysterious pasts, that makes them of uncertain trustworthiness.
                  I feel as though Six doesn't have a unique role, but, at the same time, if the females are the ones who might eventually get the boot, I see him staying even over a more unique character like Five, as crazy as that is to me.

Also, I am not liking the hint of romance one bit, but that guy is by far my least favorite character, so maybe I'm biased. I hope that doesn't end up being the only important long-term storyline for Two.
                  rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Did I already mention I'm watching Cedar Cove? Can't remember now; so many TV shows have been listed here.

Recommending it if you like gorgeous PNW scenery and small town cuteness.

And Teryl Rothery.
                    I watch Cedar Cove also, and did you see Teryl show up as a badass on Supernatural last season?

I also love love When Calls the Heart on Hallmark. Lots of Stargate alums end up on there. In fact, Paul McGillion played a con man pretending to be a preacher on one ep. I have seen several familiar names like Neill Fearnley and Martin Wood in the producing and directing credits also. If you like sweetness and beautiful scenery, that show hits all the buttons, and the ship is to die for.
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Seriously, though, I have kept that in mind. But I am also considering the possibility that they've learned from some of their mistakes (whatever they are...
                      That's assuming they think they made mistakes, and they firmly believe they didn't, so no progress will be made under that assumption.

//++//

Stamp challenge: I collected no stamps so none to post. So challenge neutralized, and onwords with the new one. (unless you were in the process of finishing your stamp - you may still send it in)

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!
                        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Stamp challenge: I collected no stamps so none to post. So challenge neutralized, and onwords with the new one. (unless you were in the process of finishing your stamp - you may still send it in)
                          That's a shame, this challenge was lots of fun. I hope there are other entries.

The Letters from Pegasus collection was originally proposed by Dr. Sokol, President of the Atlantis Philatelic Society. Shortly after the project was shelved, being deemed completely impractical by the rest of the expedition, as well as less zealous members of the society. Upon Atlantis' return to Earth, the plans were discovered hidden among the numerous items in storage.

Now available for the first time to the general public, this special collector's item commemorates individuals who helped shape Atlantis as we know it today.

Comment

Originally posted by ohalis View Post
                            That's a shame, this challenge was lots of fun. I hope there are other entries.
                            OH!! I can't green you for this, but OH EM GEE!!! I love it!!

And since this is your entry, I shall have to spread it across the many threads where the challenges are posted. This must be viewed by more than just us.

Comment

Those stamps are amazing!!! I wanted to try something but as we were traveling and I didn't take my laptop, I couldn't. There is no way I would have made anything half as good as that ohalis! Love them!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Wow ohalis, those stamps are so AWESOME! Lovely detail, and the little "flavor text" blurb about the stamps' history makes the whole package feel even more real.

Comment

Working...
                                X