Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Thank you!

Now, it's back to reality and face the music of life. Basically, continue the hunt for a job while at the same time rediscover what makes me me. A bit of soul searching is in order as I'm a bit lost at the moment.
    You're welcome.

Soul searching sucks but can be very enlightening.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
    I'm not so sure - I cringed when I looked at them earlier
    Just like this last batch, they made me smile. That's all that matters in my book.

Had a very good day for a birthday - no snow, but oh well I can live with that. I'm going to the Netherlands halfway February to an indoor ski-slope at Landgraaf. Gonna spend a sunday morning pretending to be in the Alps or something.

That is so cool - but that's probably just me.

I squee'd my heart out when my grandfather gave me a coin dating back to 1914, so yeah probably just me.
    Sounds cool.

It's not just you. There are things in this house I've seen on display in the local museum.
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      Good morning (heck, almost noon!), Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Ugh, yup. We've only been in this house about 17 years, but our previous move was only from the next city over, so that time we made lots of trips ferrying stuff in our cars rather than the big moving truck of doom. So we've got a lot of stuff.

eBay is my new best friend. I've been getting rid of a lot of things from collections and hobbies I'm no longer interested in. And culling a lot of the other stuff. My closet has been pared down quite nicely. Now I'm tackling the books.
      Books! OMG. Mr. SR wants to get rid of some of our books. Fiction I'm okay with. Well some of it. Nobody is throwing away my hard copy of Wind in the Willows, but I digress. I have a bunch of old textbooks I grabbed when I was teaching. You know, those big anthologies of literature that have all the fabulous short stories and excerpts from great books. Who in their right mind is going to throw those out or get rid of them? What?

Had a very good day for a birthday - no snow, but oh well I can live with that. I'm going to the Netherlands halfway February to an indoor ski-slope at Landgraaf. Gonna spend a sunday morning pretending to be in the Alps or something.

That is so cool - but that's probably just me.

I squee'd my heart out when my grandfather gave me a coin dating back to 1914, so yeah probably just me.
      Not just you. The stein has a prominent place and you're not allowed to pick it up by the handle. LOL I also have a small ceramic item that belonged to my great grandmother which survived the Civil War. Some years later my family lost their farm and my grandmother and her sibs ended up in an orphanage, but she wrapped this little thing in a shawl and kept it with her. So, I can't get rid of it, nor do I want to. It's probably worthless because it's cracked, but worth a lot to me.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Emotional value trumps monetary value always.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Oh, sorry I'm late. Hope you had a Happy Birthday, Falcon Horus!
          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
            Hope you had a Happy Birthday, Falcon Horus!
            I did have a happy one. My neighbor from across the hall handed me her birthday/thank-you-for-helping-me-with-my-dutch-translations-present this morning. A litte statue of a pig to hold my cellphone - I'm very grateful cause this means I don't loose track of that bloody thing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              Yes, but I haven't moved in 31 years. I live in a 2-story house with a full basement. Every possible nook and cranny is full of something. And, to top that off, Mr. SR's ancient aunt is giving away family "heirlooms." As the oldest male relative, he has become the recipient of anything that she has declared must be preserved, from the family soup tureen to a beer stein that somebody brought from Ireland in the 1800's. Over Christmas, I whispered "ebay" in Mrs. SR Jr's ear. It shall end with this generation! Sigh.
              My house was bought in 1955. There have been 8 different people living in it through the years, and none of us were ever good housekeepers. I have so much crap everywhere that I have no idea how long it would even take to clean the whole thing out.

People keep asking me if I'll move to a condo or smaller house now that I'm alone. (First, kinda insensitive just a few months after my aunt passed). Then I just think - dude, you wanna come deal with 3 generations of stuff? I mean, we still have a whole bunch of my grandmother's furniture and various other items.

Moral of the story - don't ever let it get that bad. And when siblings/kids move out, make a rule that anything they don't take with them gets trashed.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                My house was bought in 1955. There have been 8 different people living in it through the years, and none of us were ever good housekeepers. I have so much crap everywhere that I have no idea how long it would even take to clean the whole thing out.

People keep asking me if I'll move to a condo or smaller house now that I'm alone. (First, kinda insensitive just a few months after my aunt passed). Then I just think - dude, you wanna come deal with 3 generations of stuff? I mean, we still have a whole bunch of my grandmother's furniture and various other items.

Moral of the story - don't ever let it get that bad. And when siblings/kids move out, make a rule that anything they don't take with them gets trashed.
                We tried that with SR Jr. but still have a huge bin of stuffed animals in the basement. LOL

Don't let anybody rush you. I have the same situation with my brother. He lives in our parents' house and hasn't touched anything since they passed away 7 years ago. I go down there and look around at all the things that need to be dealt with but somehow manage to keep my mouth shut. If I outlive him, it will be my problem, and if I don't it will all fall on SR Jr. But we'll deal when we need to deal. We bought new carpet when I was down at Thanksgiving (his idea) and that was a major trauma for him, so the rest can wait.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                  And when siblings/kids move out, make a rule that anything they don't take with them gets trashed.
                  *GASP*

My room at my parents' house is still intact, and they cannot touch anything there. If they do, I'll know about it and I'll get it all back... Hence why I still have all my stuffed animals lined up against my wall. They are there for a reason. My bed is against the wall, and my teddybears are the boundary. They keep me from bruising myself into oblivion when I roll against the wall.

We tried that with SR Jr. but still have a huge bin of stuffed animals in the basement. LOL
                  Does he still remember they are there?

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

I still have a small company of stuffed animals. They're coming with me.
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

*GASP*

My room at my parents' house is still intact, and they cannot touch anything there. If they do, I'll know about it and I'll get it all back... Hence why I still have all my stuffed animals lined up against my wall. They are there for a reason. My bed is against the wall, and my teddybears are the boundary. They keep me from bruising myself into oblivion when I roll against the wall.

Does he still remember they are there?
                      Oh yeah, he is saving them for the kid they hope to have someday. And he's still upset that we gave his Transformers to the kid next door.
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah, he is saving them for the kid they hope to have someday.
                        Our unofficial version too.

And he's still upset that we gave his Transformers to the kid next door.
                        I'd be too, hence why I regurlarly ask my mother where she left our toy cars.

Comment

Our unofficial version too.

I'd be too, hence why I regurlarly ask my mother where she left our toy cars.
                          Oh but we still have the huge collection of Matchbox cars. And a big box of random disconnected Legos.
                          sigpic

Comment

And a big box of random disconnected Legos.
                            The legos are gone, I think. They disappeared a long time ago. But that's okay, I'm collecting new builds. Bigger ones than the castles from my youth.

Comment

The legos are gone, I think. They disappeared a long time ago. But that's okay, I'm collecting new builds. Bigger ones than the castles from my youth.
                              Legos are so cool now. I never messed with them when I was a kid. Now I have to stop myself from buying sets I want to build with my niece when she gets older.
                              I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                                Legos are so cool now. I never messed with them when I was a kid. Now I have to stop myself from buying sets I want to build with my niece when she gets older.
                                I have a friend who's a member of a lego-builders club and they organize an event every year. It's really hard not to buy more stuff when I'm there. We get invited to entertain the audience dressed as Star Wars characters, or other characters. First time I scared the kids as a Sith Lord (they couldn't tell whether there was a girl or a boy hidden underneath all that cloak) from Star Wars. Second edition, I went as a medieval archer; and the previous edition in November I walked around as a member of a Stargate team and people actually recognized me. And my blackhawk vest had only one purpose then -- contain as many tissues as possible cause I was having a really bad cold.

Comment

Working...
                                X