Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    My sister used to sit out in the pool all day with suntan lotion. Not sunscreen. Actual oil in order to bake herself. While her complexion is much darker than mine, she's still paying for all the years of that now.

When I was younger I would get lobster red, have horrible pain to the point where I would put ice on my skin, and then peel like crazy. I even got sun poisoning once. (ps - it's not pleasant). I haven't let the sun really touch me in like 20 years now. I even wear a hat when I go swimming.

Thanks for the advice about SG-1, everyone.
    Your sun experience is a lot like mine. When I was a kid we had never heard of sunscreen, just Coppertone and trying to get tan. We used baby oil. It was like baking a potato. LOL But, surprisingly, at least so far I have little sun damage to my skin. Mr. SR, OTOH, has to go periodically and have little pre-cancerous lesions taken off his bald head.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
    I took it with a grain of salt. I recognise the scene for what it is - something that is perfectly natural for two people who have only just met, but not indicative of anything deeper. The scene in Runner where Teyla practically gets cartoon eyes when Ronon takes his shirt off is no different.

I was surprised by the review itself. I've followed that site for a few years (he mostly does trek) and was a little nervous when he branched into Stargate. His take on the balcony argument scene actually changed my view on it a little, as did his insights on the Sheppard and Weir characters. That said, I expect him to take the mickey out of Atlantis in further reviews For example, it had never occurred to me why they didn't call it the First Atlantis Response Team

I've not watched those ones. As I said, sometimes they're insightful, sometimes they're mockery.
    I may go back and watch some more when I get bored again. I see what you mean. *looks around* I thought the same way about that scene at first and even expected Sheyla to happen for the first half of S1. But then came TS/TE and I never looked back.

Oh, and don't forget the "hello big boy" moment when Teyla is doing those bed stretches and Ronon walks in. Whoa mama.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

I took it with a grain of salt. I recognise the scene for what it is - something that is perfectly natural for two people who have only just met, but not indicative of anything deeper. The scene in Runner where Teyla practically gets cartoon eyes when Ronon takes his shirt off is no different.
      Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Manip!
      Seconding this! OMG!

I was surprised by the review itself. I've followed that site for a few years (he mostly does trek) and was a little nervous when he branched into Stargate. His take on the balcony argument scene actually changed my view on it a little, as did his insights on the Sheppard and Weir characters. That said, I expect him to take the mickey out of Atlantis in further reviews For example, it had never occurred to me why they didn't call it the First Atlantis Response Team

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      Oh, and don't forget the "hello big boy" moment when Teyla is doing those bed stretches and Ronon walks in. Whoa mama.
      *dying of laughter*
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I'm going to come back later to respond to some of this, but I just had to say that youtube did a thing and now all my "likes" are gone!!!

Now I have to try to find all the videos I loved. *sigh*

Comment

SF Debris is a reviewer I occasionally watch, but I've learned long ago that internet reviewers are never people that share the same opinion as me about all things. It's mostly just for entertainment value and discovering bits and pieces from various people I do agree with.

For example, SF Debris hates Voyager and Enterprise. And I'm a big fan of the first one. Although FYI I think he is a fan of B5.
          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
            SF Debris is a reviewer I occasionally watch, but I've learned long ago that internet reviewers are never people that share the same opinion as me about all things. It's mostly just for entertainment value and discovering bits and pieces from various people I do agree with.

For example, SF Debris hates Voyager and Enterprise. And I'm a big fan of the first one. Although FYI I think he is a fan of B5.
            I never agree with any kind of critic. In fact Mr. SR and I know we'll love movies when the critics hate them. There are very few exceptions on TV also. Breaking Bad and Downton Abbey are a couple of critic favorites that I love. But I just couldn't make myself watch Mad Men.
            sigpic

Comment

That's a good summation - better than the one I gave My trepidation with him moving into Stargate, and now Atlantis, was that the show wouldn't hold up to criticism. By that I mean that I enjoyed Voyager (on the whole, although there are a lot of baaaaad episodes) and some of Enterprise, but when you look at some of the characters actions and decisions, and hold them to logic and continuity, it puts a different spin on things. The Prime Directive does not hold up well, well intentioned as it might be.

Plus, whilst I mightn't always agree with the criticism, their is always the snark.....

Torres: I'm gonna try a skeletal lock
              Janeway: A what??
              Torres: I think I can get a clean lock on the minerals in their bone tissue
              Janeway: It's been years since I was a science officer, but don't they need their bones?
              Torres: If I can find their skeletons, I'm pretty sure I can bring them rest of them over too
              Janeway: This sounds really dangerous
              Torres: Naaaah, I'll be fine!
              sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

That's a good summation - better than the one I gave My trepidation with him moving into Stargate, and now Atlantis, was that the show wouldn't hold up to criticism. By that I mean that I enjoyed Voyager (on the whole, although there are a lot of baaaaad episodes) and some of Enterprise, but when you look at some of the characters actions and decisions, and hold them to logic and continuity, it puts a different spin on things. The Prime Directive does not hold up well, well intentioned as it might be.
                Then again, we've been pretty critical of the writing on SGA and the incomprehensible way the characters have acted because of it at times, as well.

Plus, whilst I mightn't always agree with the criticism, their is always the snark.....

Torres: I'm gonna try a skeletal lock
                Janeway: A what??
                Torres: I think I can get a clean lock on the minerals in their bone tissue
                Janeway: It's been years since I was a science officer, but don't they need their bones?
                Torres: If I can find their skeletons, I'm pretty sure I can bring them rest of them over too
                Janeway: This sounds really dangerous
                Torres: Naaaah, I'll be fine!
                Sounds like one of McKay's Greatest Hits.
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I only watched the beginning and end of the review, so I don't know exactly what it was that made SR so angry, but he seemed to giving Rising a mostly favorable appraisal.
                  "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I only watched the beginning and end of the review, so I don't know exactly what it was that made SR so angry, but he seemed to giving Rising a mostly favorable appraisal.
                    Nothing made me angry. It was just that old silliness about "unresolved sexual tension" between John and Teyla. Yes, I know that was the original intended ship, but they had about as much tension as a stretched-out rubber band. It's just a head shaker now after all this time.
                    sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

It's just a head shaker now after all this time.
                      Heh! There's a lot of things about SGA that are still head shakers after all this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

zbir, you definitely had a busy but fun day!
                        Yep! [end sarcasm]
                        Spoiler:

Few days ago I rested my eyes into the palms just for one minute, and my film tape broke for a few seconds; I woke up like that, sitting on the bureau.
                        Huge respect for the people with small children and jobs, that can function with chronic lack of sleep

Today I start reading Atlantis Rising (thanks to the link in SR's sign!) and, although it's a monster reading for a non-English speaker, I have no words to express how much I like it (at least the first one and a half chapters I managed to read so far). The dialogues were perfectly in character, leaving me with the feeling that I found again the Atlantis I knew and loved. And seeing Nancy was a very pleasant surprise. I hope I will be able to read it all.
                        (this is few notches above other fan-fictions I've tried, from the writing p.o.v.; mad props to the writers and their professionalism)

Re: The SF Debris's review, I liked it. Maybe I'm used to "honest trailers" kind of reviews, but the guy had some pertinent points; he approached the subject with respect and seriousness and knew his stuff. And most of all, he didn't try to look like a smart a$$ doing it (the occasionally jokes were inoffensive fun, IMO)

In the end, I want to post Sheppard and Weir pictures in chronological order:
                        So, from Rising p.1:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zbir View Post
                          Yep! [end sarcasm]
                          Spoiler:

Few days ago I rested my eyes into the palms just for one minute, and my film tape broke for a few seconds; I woke up like that, sitting on the bureau.
                          Huge respect for the people with small children and jobs, that can function with chronic lack of sleep

Today I start reading Atlantis Rising (thanks to the link in SR's sign!) and, although it's a monster reading for a non-English speaker, I have no words to express how much I like it (at least the first one and a half chapters I managed to read so far). The dialogues were perfectly in character, leaving me with the feeling that I found again the Atlantis I knew and loved. And seeing Nancy was a very pleasant surprise. I hope I will be able to read it all.
                          (this is few notches above other fan-fictions I've tried, from the writing p.o.v.; mad props to the writers and their professionalism)

Re: The SF Debris's review, I liked it. Maybe I'm used to "honest trailers" kind of reviews, but the guy had some pertinent points; he approached the subject with respect and seriousness and knew his stuff. And most of all, he didn't try to look like a smart a$$ doing it (the occasionally jokes were inoffensive fun, IMO)

So, from Rising p.1:

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...l_101_0451.JPG
                          http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...l_101_0583.JPG
                          Thank you so much on behalf of all the SGA Rising staff. We worked long and hard to make our project as close to canon as possible.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zbir View Post
                            Yep! [end sarcasm]
                            Spoiler:

So, from Rising p.1:

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...l_101_0451.JPG
                            http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...l_101_0583.JPG
                            Thank you for the praise for Atlantis Rising! We set out to create something that would fit as seamlessly into the existing canon as possible, and the fact that you've picked up on the canonness of the stories tells us we've done our job right.

Thank you so much on behalf of all the SGA Rising staff. We worked long and hard to make our project as close to canon as possible.
                            Indeed. And here's hoping I can get back to finishing the next episode of SGA-R before September. Everything else, and I do mean EVERYTHING (unless it's something I planned & paid for months ago like Comic-Con) is now on hold for getting the house ready for sale. We signed with the realtor yesterday. Wish us luck!

Comment

No, I thank YOU!
                              I figured out that you were involved into the project, but did you do [some of the] the actual writing?

Edit after SK's post: Wait! How many of my Sparky friends were involved in this?
                              It ended or it continues to being written? [nevermind, I have my answer; but in my perfect world this should be the "official" book]

And good luck with the house, SK! [I have to catch up with the thread, to see what is going on ]
                              Last edited by zbir; 13 July 2014, 11:47 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

If you want to discuss the stories some more, there's a thread in OT-Fanfiction dedicated to Rising -> Atlantis Rising: The Virtual Series.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X