Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    My father fought in WWII. He was at Normandy on the 2nd day and was always regretful he couldn't go in on the first day. He had always wanted to go back there someday but then health issues removed that possibility.

And yes, enjoy your older relatives while you have them. I took my aunt out to a restaurant tonight that I used to go to with my mom a lot and the memory of her just brought my emotions down into a spiral.

Sorry to be sad. I'll come up with something goofy for everyone over the weekend. I have been thinking about Sparky quite a bit lately (and had a really embarrassing RPF dream that I actually cringed when I woke up because I hate that sooooo much).

Speaking of goofy though.... I've been watching The World Wars on The History Channel and I keep wondering what would have happened if Doctor Who went back in time in his Tardis and killed Hitler right at the beginning. What would that one change have done to the world? It's an interesting thing to think about. If you're me.
    My dad was just the opposite. He never wanted to go back over there.

We watched a D-Day special that was on PBS this week. Very well done.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I've been to the beaches of Normandy, two years ago. And of course, with the remembrance of WWI going on over here, there's lots of things going on. Lots of old pictures and stories are being reprinted. The next 4 years there will be lots of things going on, mainly around the Ypres Salient line but the city I live in was completely destroyed in august of 1914 so they're gonna do Mozart's Requiem (which is very upbeat if you know it, for a Requiem anyway).

Really loving all the information that is being released now...
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        I've been to the beaches of Normandy, two years ago. And of course, with the remembrance of WWI going on over here, there's lots of things going on. Lots of old pictures and stories are being reprinted. The next 4 years there will be lots of things going on, mainly around the Ypres Salient line but the city I live in was completely destroyed in august of 1914 so they're gonna do Mozart's Requiem (which is very upbeat if you know it, for a Requiem anyway).

Really loving all the information that is being released now...
        My dad never talked about the war that he didn't mention all the beautiful cities that got destroyed. I'm not sure he was ever in Belgium. I know he saw a good part of both France and Germany though and appreciated the comfort and aid they received from the ordinary people. There was one particular story about a champagne warehouse that he seemed fond of.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          There was one particular story about a champagne warehouse that he seemed fond of.
          LOL!!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

My dad never talked about the war that he didn't mention all the beautiful cities that got destroyed. I'm not sure he was ever in Belgium. I know he saw a good part of both France and Germany though and appreciated the comfort and aid they received from the ordinary people. There was one particular story about a champagne warehouse that he seemed fond of.

I don't have any family stories to share, but I am loving all the stories being shared here. Many thanks for that, everyone.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Decision of the day:

Spoiler:
              My DIY project is on hold until I make another trip to Home Depot plus it's raining. Nothing to do but stay home and rewatch Vegas baby!

Editorial comment:

Spoiler:
              Non-strippable wallpaper is an invention of the devil
              sigpic

Comment

Decision of the day:

Spoiler:
                My DIY project is on hold until I make another trip to Home Depot plus it's raining. Nothing to do but stay home and rewatch Vegas baby!
                Heh! A rewatch of Vegas is always a good decision.

Editorial comment:

Spoiler:
                Oh dear, do we want to know?
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Decision of the day:

Spoiler:
                  Always a good thing.

Editorial comment:

Spoiler:
                  That doesn't sound good...

Well, I'm off to work again. One high school graduation down, one to go! And bonus points: I get to sign the Sara Bareilles song "Brave".

Be back later!

Comment

My grandparents didn't have the most direct involvement in World War 2. My grandmother says she remembers where she was when she heard that Germany had invaded Poland and that Britain had declared war. Apparently she was outside playing or something and She was too young to understand what was going on but she says she could tell it was something bad.

My grandfather joined the navy and was assigned to a ship soon after he turned 18 I think, but he never actually got to participate before the war ended. The story goes his ship never made it out of the Bay of Fundy. He apparently wasn't very happy about that.

I like to think we were lucky for it though. Because both sides of my family were directly affected by World War 1 and really suffered for it.
                    Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 29 May 2014, 01:21 PM.
                    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I know that my great-grandfather was a POW in WWI but he died long before I was born, so I don't know much about him, except that the coins my grandfather gave me were his father's.

Comment

Decision of the day:

Spoiler:

Editorial comment:

Spoiler:
                        Doesn't all wallpaper become strippable if you let it get old enough? That's been the case for my house.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                          Heh! A rewatch of Vegas is always a good decision.

Oh dear, do we want to know?
                          Probably not, but I'll tell you anyway. I'm redoing the powder room.

Doesn't all wallpaper become strippable if you let it get old enough? That's been the case for my house.
                          Well, it must take longer than 25 years because that's how old this paper is. The top layer strips off but the backing stays glued to the wall. I'm going to have to get some of that gel stuff and turn it to goop, then scrape it off. My summer project. I'm attempting to bring my house into the 21st century one room at a time.
                          sigpic

Comment

Probably so. My dad was a great storyteller and got along with everybody. I like to think I inherited some of his sense of humor.
                            Wish I could remember how he told some of his stories. They're all second hand since he died when I was 3. My other grandfather never talked much about the war. Then again getting shot down after your 13th bomber mission and spending the next 2 years as a POW wouldn't leave you with many good stories.

My father fought in WWII. He was at Normandy on the 2nd day and was always regretful he couldn't go in on the first day. He had always wanted to go back there someday but then health issues removed that possibility.

And yes, enjoy your older relatives while you have them. I took my aunt out to a restaurant tonight that I used to go to with my mom a lot and the memory of her just brought my emotions down into a spiral.

Sorry to be sad. I'll come up with something goofy for everyone over the weekend. I have been thinking about Sparky quite a bit lately (and had a really embarrassing RPF dream that I actually cringed when I woke up because I hate that sooooo much).

Speaking of goofy though.... I've been watching The World Wars on The History Channel and I keep wondering what would have happened if Doctor Who went back in time in his Tardis and killed Hitler right at the beginning. What would that one change have done to the world? It's an interesting thing to think about. If you're me.
                            The World Wars is a good show. Just wished they could have avoided showing a Soviet tank that was built after WWII as much as they did.
                            I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

My dad has noticed some continuity errors on the show as well. He's a WW 2 reenactor.
                              sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                              https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Probably not, but I'll tell you anyway. I'm redoing the powder room.

Well, it must take longer than 25 years because that's how old this paper is. The top layer strips off but the backing stays glued to the wall. I'm going to have to get some of that gel stuff and turn it to goop, then scrape it off. My summer project. I'm attempting to bring my house into the 21st century one room at a time.
                                Oh honey, why would you want to do that? I pictured you as someone of impeccable taste, don't let me down. Unless you can keep up with the Jetsons instead of the Joneses, then classic chique is the way to go. Mostly because it's easier for the man - somebody has to look out for Mr SR
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X