Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
    You know I always thought "toasters" was a weird slurr for Cylons in the BSG verse. I think if I was from the 12 Colonies I'd be constantly having a problem with people always using it. I love toast. Why would I keep trying to be verbally conflating the noble toast making device with genocidal maniacs?
    Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I don't even know how they got to that nickname to begin with. Is it because they're made of metal? That seems rather dumb.
    I know, right? I love toast. Sourdough toast with lots of butter, wheat toast with boysenberry jam, cinnamon toast...toast is yummy!! What the frak is up with using "toaster" as a slur? Did one of the writers have a bad experience with an exploding toaster or something?
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Who knows what his toaster did to him....

Mmmm.... toast.... beans on toast, with scrambled egg and bacon on the side.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
        I looked up Lt Sheba and apparently he is a character from the original Battlestar Galactica. So I don't know him.
        Actually she was a Viper pilot and daughter of Commander Cain. And if I remember right she could out snark Starbuck.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
        I suspect they may be sneaking back overnight to sabotage my work.
        I'll see if my sister will let you barrow her dog. Lily is excellent at guard duty.
        I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
          I'll see if my sister will let you barrow her dog. Lily is excellent at guard duty.
          But against muses? They'd probably come up with some tasty bribes.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

But against muses? They'd probably come up with some tasty bribes.

Anything is possible.

Comment

Anything is possible.
              I was gonna say something witty about a large amount of dog treats that had gone missing, but my brain isn't yet functioning this morning. LOL

Comment

Challenge #29

Make a visual representation of any Stargate episode {SG1, SGA or SGU or any of the movies}
                But you cannot use any SG related caps or words in your art.

I will give everyone a day or two to guess what each one is and then I will post the answers.

DellRuby

raduzhok

JadedWraith

ShipperWriter

taris-eirien

bailey1ak

Libero

RodneyisGodney

FalconHorus

Blencathra
                I thought I'd go back & do a challenge or two that I'd missed.

The first is Secondary Character

And then there is Favourite Alien
                Last edited by mrscopterdoc; 28 April 2014, 01:03 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Challenge #30

First I want to thank everyone who took the time to answer my survey, I really appreciate it!

The overwhelming response was everyone wants to learn more technical, specific aspects, even more specifically blending/filters/composition. But, lots said they dislike tutorials because they get lost, or it doesn't make sense. I am not sure how to do a challenge about something that people want to learn more about without using a tutorial, so I am going to try this.....

This weeks challenge is about blending. You must take 3 different pictures, and blend them together. The challenge is to make them look like one picture.

If you are able, make 2 separate pieces of art. You can use the same 3 pictures on both pieces of art, just blend them differently, OR use 6 total [or more] different pictures. Making 2 pieces of art just gets you blending more, more practice makes perfect!

Forgive me for using old sigs of mine, but here are examples of what I mean:
                  Spoiler:

This one does only have 2 pictures blended, but they are just examples.

There are several different ways to blend pictures: eraser, gradients, layer masks, cropping and blurring just to name a few. There is no wrong or right way to do blending. If it gets the job done and you are happy with it, then that is all that matters.

If you use Gimp, and you need help, try looking here. They are very basic step by step guides in erasing, layers and mask layers among other things. I did them a long time ago, but several people have told me that they have helped. If you are still totally stuck, let me know and I will see what I can do to help.

I am no expert in blending or Gimping, far from it, but I have learned some tips over the years about blending......try to pick a subject you like. Say you thunk Sheppard. Pick pictures of him to work with and it will be more fun then say pictures of flowers. Unless you like flowers. Try to pick pictures that are somewhat that same. Try 3 pictures of Sheppard from the same episode or same season. A picture of Sheppard and then Joe Flanigan on the beach might not be as easy to blend. Pick pictures that don't have other people in the background that you will have to cut out unless that is the only picture you can possibly use. Spending time looking for a picture that you don't have to crop people and things out of to use is worth the time spent looking rather than trying to get rid of stuff. Even better are promotional pictures with a solid color background and nothing else in the way. Promo pics are what I used for my Dean sig above in the example. In the Sheppard sig, I used pics of just him from the same episode, and just used the cap background to blend them seamlessly together.

If you have any questions about this challenge, or a specific blending technique, you can PM me or just post it. That way I can answer it and maybe someone else has the same question and it will answer for them too.

Entries are due to me by noon your time, Monday May 5th.
                  sigpic

Comment

Your tutorials really do help, copter. I'm certainly not proficient with GIMP, but everything I do know is because of those tutorials.

I can't green you right now, so here's some Virtual Green.

Comment

Good evening, Sparkies! Hope you're all having an awesome Canon Monday!

My day was busy busy busy. First up, physical therapy on my left foot (we're still lightly bandaging, but I can now start wearing normal shoes), then off to Costco to get new tires for my car (and going to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier again while the tire guys are at work), then doing some assorted shopping at Costco before heading home. Like I said, busy busy busy. And now, to collapse in a quivering heap.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                        Your tutorials really do help, copter. I'm certainly not proficient with GIMP, but everything I do know is because of those tutorials.

I can't green you right now, so here's some Virtual Green.
                        *blushes* thank you!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                          I was gonna say something witty about a large amount of dog treats that had gone missing, but my brain isn't yet functioning this morning. LOL
                          My brain hasn't functioned all day so that's not a problem.

Comment

My brain hasn't functioned all day so that's not a problem.
                            Sounds like me today as well. Total brain meltdown.

Comment

Okay, lemme take a guess at the posts:

For DellRuby: The Ties That Bind and Water
                              For raduzhok: Brief Candle (LOL I love this!)
                              For JadedWraith: Thor's Hammer
                              For SW: not telling
                              For taris: (I'm stumped, though it's probably a Shep-centric episode ), The Real World, and Broken Ties
                              For bailey: Prisoners, Bane, and The Ark of Truth?
                              For Libero: ... Unending?
                              For RiG: 38 Minutes
                              For FH: Thor's Hammer (love the border!)

How'd I do?

Comment

Sounds like me today as well. Total brain meltdown.
                                Me too. I actually got into a class to interpret and I forgot how. Can't wait for summer vacation. My brain needs to recuperate more than anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X