Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    In the real world...
    This is true. Supposed to be grey, cloudy, and rainy all day. On the plus side, I'm sitting on my ginormous butt doing nothing but watching a movie next period. Biology class. "Gattaca". *fist pump*

And spring break is a few days away!

Comment

Over here, it's a summer-like spring day near the end of winter season... Winter is definitely not coming this year.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
        This is true. Supposed to be grey, cloudy, and rainy all day. On the plus side, I'm sitting on my ginormous butt doing nothing but watching a movie next period. Biology class. "Gattaca". *fist pump*

And spring break is a few days away!
        Gattaca? Seriously? Every time you post about something that is happening in your school (and I assume it's no different than the average school today) I have to go lie down and fan myself. Holy biscuits, we are doomed.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

What's wrong with Gattaca?

I watched it once, and remember it was about the perfect DNA or something... or something.

Comment

I remember getting to watch most of Gattica in biology class way back in 10th grade too.

EDIT: Holy crap that was 11 years ago...
            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
              *crickets chirp*

Where da people be???
              Still asleep, at least at the time you posted that. Ah, living on the West Coast. Today is supposed to be mild and partly sunny. And it's a busy busy day for me; gotta take the car in and have the tires looked at (may have a slow leak in one, ugh) and then shopping! Oh what fun.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              Gattaca? Seriously? Every time you post about something that is happening in your school (and I assume it's no different than the average school today) I have to go lie down and fan myself. Holy biscuits, we are doomed.
              Maybe they're watching it for discussion on the ethics of eugenics?
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

We have very stringent rules about showing movies - they must be approved by the academic dean. For government, last semester, I did show one film (I generally have clips of 3-5 minutes rather than an entire movie). The movie I showed was Gideon's Trumpet - about James Earl Gideon and the change in the rules that means an attorney must be appointed if you cannot afford one. (Supreme Court case Gideon v. Wainwright). I cannot imagine showing Gattica, even for biology.
                sigpic

Comment

What's wrong with Gattaca?

I watched it once, and remember it was about the perfect DNA or something... or something.
                  It's not so much Gattaca as any movie that's not G rated and on the pre-approved list. But the subject of Eugenics opens up all kinds of cans of worms and is a discussion IMHO not appropriate for kids in high school who are full of opinions but lacking in facts and judgement.

I showed Ivanhoe one time and remember having to go through weeks of waiting for approval. And even then I got a parent complaint about the religious angle with the Jewish religion.

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                  We have very stringent rules about showing movies - they must be approved by the academic dean. For government, last semester, I did show one film (I generally have clips of 3-5 minutes rather than an entire movie). The movie I showed was Gideon's Trumpet - about James Earl Gideon and the change in the rules that means an attorney must be appointed if you cannot afford one. (Supreme Court case Gideon v. Wainwright). I cannot imagine showing Gattica, even for biology.
                  This. You must teach in a private school.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hello, all. Messing around on the computer while the plumber fixes the drainage pipe for the washer and waiting for refrigerator guy to come put a new seal on freezer. Gotta love renting -- don't have to pay for it ourselves.

Yeah. Between that and the new lowered standards on the SAT that'll take effect in two years, education as we knew it is frakked up.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                    Maybe they're watching it for discussion on the ethics of eugenics?
                    At least that would be a reasonable reason. But alas, no.

It's not so much Gattaca as any movie that's not G rated and on the pre-approved list. But the subject of Eugenics opens up all kinds of cans of worms and is a discussion IMHO not appropriate for kids in high school who are full of opinions but lacking in facts and judgement.
                    Honestly, the kids are probably not going to be having that discussion anyway. Half the reason they're watching it is because spring break starts this weekend. They have a worksheet to do along with it, but I gotta be honest: if they're watching something with captions, it means I don't have to do anything. And me like. I mean, watching the movie is not required for the course, and the kids are like "yay a movie and then we're out of school for a week" so it's not likely to start any deep ethical discussions. They probably could've spent the time doing something else that is beneficial, but who am I to say anything? Just the interpreter. *shrugs*

To show any movie, no matter what it's rated, the public school system sends home a permission slip with the movie, it's rating, why it's rated that, and yes/no. It's the reason I was shielding my eyes a few weeks ago when they watched "The Patriot" in history class. Didn't really want to see a man's head get blown off with a cannon ball.

I showed Ivanhoe one time and remember having to go through weeks of waiting for approval. And even then I got a parent complaint about the religious angle with the Jewish religion.
                    How things have changed...

In any case, let's see if I can persuade my muses to write anything tonight...

Comment

I remember watching The Silence of the Lambs during Religion.

Sidenote: those 2 hours of religion was 2 hours of fun class cause we didn't actually do anything useful during those hours. Except watch movies...

We also watched The Mission, to compensate things.

Comment

In the real world...
                        The real world is highly overrated.

Not the episode The Real World - that is awesome. But the real world sucks.

I'm trying to remember movies they let us see in high school. I remember watching Romeo and Juliet. And there was a class trip to go see Dances With Wolves. Yes, I am that old, dear children.

Comment

Dances with Wolves = old???? My husband and I just had our 37th anniversary yesterday...I graduated in 1974
                          sigpic

Comment

And yes, I teach in PUBLIC high school. Not private
                            sigpic

Comment

Dances with Wolves = old???? My husband and I just had our 37th anniversary yesterday...I graduated in 1974
                              Okay that makes me feel better. I need to stop hanging out on Tumblr where the average age seems to be 18.

Happy belated Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

*high fives* We will be celebrating our 39th on March 29.

Funny about the changes in the SAT. I heard about that and said "What again? They just changed that when SR Jr. was in high school." Then I realized…oh wait…that was almost 20 years ago. My how time flies.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X