Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky Family and College Football Saturday! Good luck to everyone's teams!

I like it! That is one hilarious headcanon!

Yeah, Sheppard going into lava-mode might be disturbing to some viewers...
    I wish my hand was free to write more, but it's hard to chicken-peck with one hand and an exposed index finger.

Eeh. Maybe I'll give it a go.

Comment

I wrote, just not what I was expecting.

Spoiler:
      "Fractured Phalanges And TLC"

It had been over twenty years since Elizabeth Weir had broken any bones in her body.

She forgot how much it hurt.

She wasn’t sure how she had managed to trip and fall on the stairs that she traversed daily, and yet Carson Beckett assured her that she had broken it at just the right angle to cause her to fracture her pinky in two places. When Carson showed her the x-ray, she tilted her head and looked down at her hand that she carefully cradled in her opposite hand before it got splinted. It was purple and swollen on the palm-side, but there was absolutely no outward indication that the proximal phalange had broken in a V shape.

Nice job, Elizabeth, she silently reprimanded herself.

“So what’s the treatment?”

The Scottish doctor pointed at the x-ray. “You notice how it appears that your finger is slanted above the fracture?” When she nodded, Carson continued. “Well, with it being broken at this angle, your ligaments are pulling it and, if left unattended, will set that way. I need to insert two pins to help it heal in the right direction.”

“When?”

“Well, sooner rather than later, lass. You should probably ask Colonel Sheppard to take your place for a few days. At least.”

“Carson, I—“

“Elizabeth, this isn’t a request. We need to do this. But you will be in pain and sore for a number of days, so working is not an option for you. In fact, because the pins will be extruding through your skin, I would prefer that you stay in your quarters to avoid infection.”

Elizabeth opened her mouth to try and rebut Carson’s orders, but clamped it shut, knowing that there wasn’t much chance of him changing his mind.

She sighed, then touched her earpiece. “Weir to Sheppard.”

“Go ahead.”

“Can you come to the infirmary as soon as possible? It’s important.”

There was a pause, then he replied. “On my way.”

------------

When John Sheppard walked in the infirmary, Elizabeth was nowhere to be seen. So he paced through the open room, eyes checking each of the beds. He was just about to turn around and ask one of the nurses if they had seen her when a muffled grunt caught his ears.

He frowned and followed it to the last bed.

Elizabeth was sitting on it, biting her lip and facing Carson as he wrapped a cloth bandage around her left wrist. There was gauze underneath it, but a particularly large amount around her pinky and ring fingers, which caused him to frown.

“What happened?” John asked, craning his head as he looked for other wounds. “Kickboxing with Teyla?”

She chuckled, brushing a stray strand of hair out of her face with her free hand. “I fell on the stairs in the ‘Gate room and landed on my pinky.”

“She did a good number on it too. I’ve asked her to come back first thing in the morning for surgery to set it.” Carson reached for the clear tape to finish the splint.

“So I’m going to need you to take care of business for a few days,” Elizabeth told her ranking military officer, causing him to whip his head suddenly.

Part of her expected aggravation from him. Another part expected a whiny five year old, echoing the words, “Do I have to?”

But all she got from him was a decisive nod. “Done.”

Elizabeth dipped her head. “You’re sure it won’t be a problem?”

He crossed his arms. “Not at all. Our team is on downtime this week anyways.” He shrugged. “Plus, it’ll give me a chance to beat your high score on Solitaire.”

Elizabeth gave him a relieved smile. “Thank you, John. I promise I’ll be back to work as soon as I can.”

“You’ll be back to work when I say you’re able. Not a moment before. Understood?”

She tried to cover her groan with a sarcastic grunt, but Carson still rolled his eyes at her.

“Yes, sir.”

“Very well, then. Don’t eat or drink anything after midnight, and be here at 1000 hours.” Just then, one of the nurses left a medication bottle on the bedside table. Carson thanked her for it, then handed it to Elizabeth. “Prescription for Vicodin. You’ll need these after you wake up from surgery.”

“You have to sedate Elizabeth?” John asked, suddenly feeling a little worried as she looked over the bottle.

“It’s routine for any outpatient surgery on Earth, I assure you, Colonel,” replied Carson, turning on his supporting tone, making John feel that he was a family member.

“I was sedated for my tonsillectomy and had no problems. I should be fine,” Elizabeth said, although John felt more comforted than Carson probably did.

The doctor nodded, giving her a cheery smile. “Then I will see you in the morning,” Carson said in lieu of goodbye, taking his tablet and walking back to his office.

Elizabeth slid off the bed and looked at John. “Well, I wasn’t expecting this.”

He smiled briefly. “At least it’s not more serious. And the procedure shouldn’t take too long. But Carson’s right,” he agreed, gesturing to the pill bottle that Elizabeth was holding. “You will be wanting those when you wake up.”

She winced. “That bad?”

John motioned to the exit and they started walking. “Take it from a guy who’s had this done a few times. You’re getting the bone reset, plus pins are being drilled into your bone. Yeah, it’s gonna hurt for a while. But the first three days are the worst. Once you get past that, I’d bet that you won’t even need that whole bottle.”

Elizabeth smiled. “The least medication I have to take, the better.”

They made it to a transporter. “Tell you what. How about you get me up to speed on what you’re working on, and then I’ll take you to your last supper.”

She narrowed her eyes at him, then nodded. “Deal.”

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
        I wrote, just not what I was expecting.

Spoiler:
        "Fractured Phalanges And TLC"

It had been over twenty years since Elizabeth Weir had broken any bones in her body.

She forgot how much it hurt.

She wasn’t sure how she had managed to trip and fall on the stairs that she traversed daily, and yet Carson Beckett assured her that she had broken it at just the right angle to cause her to fracture her pinky in two places. When Carson showed her the x-ray, she tilted her head and looked down at her hand that she carefully cradled in her opposite hand before it got splinted. It was purple and swollen on the palm-side, but there was absolutely no outward indication that the proximal phalange had broken in a V shape.

Nice job, Elizabeth, she silently reprimanded herself.

“So what’s the treatment?”

The Scottish doctor pointed at the x-ray. “You notice how it appears that your finger is slanted above the fracture?” When she nodded, Carson continued. “Well, with it being broken at this angle, your ligaments are pulling it and, if left unattended, will set that way. I need to insert two pins to help it heal in the right direction.”

“When?”

“Well, sooner rather than later, lass. You should probably ask Colonel Sheppard to take your place for a few days. At least.”

“Carson, I—“

“Elizabeth, this isn’t a request. We need to do this. But you will be in pain and sore for a number of days, so working is not an option for you. In fact, because the pins will be extruding through your skin, I would prefer that you stay in your quarters to avoid infection.”

Elizabeth opened her mouth to try and rebut Carson’s orders, but clamped it shut, knowing that there wasn’t much chance of him changing his mind.

She sighed, then touched her earpiece. “Weir to Sheppard.”

“Go ahead.”

“Can you come to the infirmary as soon as possible? It’s important.”

There was a pause, then he replied. “On my way.”

------------

When John Sheppard walked in the infirmary, Elizabeth was nowhere to be seen. So he paced through the open room, eyes checking each of the beds. He was just about to turn around and ask one of the nurses if they had seen her when a muffled grunt caught his ears.

He frowned and followed it to the last bed.

Elizabeth was sitting on it, biting her lip and facing Carson as he wrapped a cloth bandage around her left wrist. There was gauze underneath it, but a particularly large amount around her pinky and ring fingers, which caused him to frown.

“What happened?” John asked, craning his head as he looked for other wounds. “Kickboxing with Teyla?”

She chuckled, brushing a stray strand of hair out of her face with her free hand. “I fell on the stairs in the ‘Gate room and landed on my pinky.”

“She did a good number on it too. I’ve asked her to come back first thing in the morning for surgery to set it.” Carson reached for the clear tape to finish the splint.

“So I’m going to need you to take care of business for a few days,” Elizabeth told her ranking military officer, causing him to whip his head suddenly.

Part of her expected aggravation from him. Another part expected a whiny five year old, echoing the words, “Do I have to?”

But all she got from him was a decisive nod. “Done.”

Elizabeth dipped her head. “You’re sure it won’t be a problem?”

He crossed his arms. “Not at all. Our team is on downtime this week anyways.” He shrugged. “Plus, it’ll give me a chance to beat your high score on Solitaire.”

Elizabeth gave him a relieved smile. “Thank you, John. I promise I’ll be back to work as soon as I can.”

“You’ll be back to work when I say you’re able. Not a moment before. Understood?”

She tried to cover her groan with a sarcastic grunt, but Carson still rolled his eyes at her.

“Yes, sir.”

“Very well, then. Don’t eat or drink anything after midnight, and be here at 1000 hours.” Just then, one of the nurses left a medication bottle on the bedside table. Carson thanked her for it, then handed it to Elizabeth. “Prescription for Vicodin. You’ll need these after you wake up from surgery.”

“You have to sedate Elizabeth?” John asked, suddenly feeling a little worried as she looked over the bottle.

“It’s routine for any outpatient surgery on Earth, I assure you, Colonel,” replied Carson, turning on his supporting tone, making John feel that he was a family member.

“I was sedated for my tonsillectomy and had no problems. I should be fine,” Elizabeth said, although John felt more comforted than Carson probably did.

The doctor nodded, giving her a cheery smile. “Then I will see you in the morning,” Carson said in lieu of goodbye, taking his tablet and walking back to his office.

Elizabeth slid off the bed and looked at John. “Well, I wasn’t expecting this.”

He smiled briefly. “At least it’s not more serious. And the procedure shouldn’t take too long. But Carson’s right,” he agreed, gesturing to the pill bottle that Elizabeth was holding. “You will be wanting those when you wake up.”

She winced. “That bad?”

John motioned to the exit and they started walking. “Take it from a guy who’s had this done a few times. You’re getting the bone reset, plus pins are being drilled into your bone. Yeah, it’s gonna hurt for a while. But the first three days are the worst. Once you get past that, I’d bet that you won’t even need that whole bottle.”

Elizabeth smiled. “The least medication I have to take, the better.”

They made it to a transporter. “Tell you what. How about you get me up to speed on what you’re working on, and then I’ll take you to your last supper.”

She narrowed her eyes at him, then nodded. “Deal.”
        Love it. They say you should write about what you know, and you definitely know about this subject. I was thinking while reading this about how the Atlantis personnel don't even get a bill from their docs. LOL Maybe I'm still rolling my eyes at my bro who's been complaining that his doc hasn't given him strong enough pain meds for his arthritis. Well, on Friday he asked for new meds and got them, but they cost much more than the old ones. Now he's complaining even more. You just can't please some people.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          Love it. They say you should write about what you know, and you definitely know about this subject. I was thinking while reading this about how the Atlantis personnel don't even get a bill from their docs. LOL Maybe I'm still rolling my eyes at my bro who's been complaining that his doc hasn't given him strong enough pain meds for his arthritis. Well, on Friday he asked for new meds and got them, but they cost much more than the old ones. Now he's complaining even more. You just can't please some people.
          That's what I was thinking. Plus, I know from experience that Elizabeth is gonna need someone waiting on her hand and foot.

Comment

My doctor put me on a new cough medicine with my last bout of bronchitis. It was very expensive (I had to pay for most of it out-of-pocket since I have a $100 annual prescription deductible over and above my co-pays) but I had to admit, it was very effective. Not only that, but I only had to take half as much as the previous cough medicine, so the same size bottle lasted through both that bronchitis AND the next cold. I can't remember what it was, but I will be sure to ask for the same thing next time. There is *always* a next time for me.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
              My doctor put me on a new cough medicine with my last bout of bronchitis. It was very expensive (I had to pay for most of it out-of-pocket since I have a $100 annual prescription deductible over and above my co-pays) but I had to admit, it was very effective. Not only that, but I only had to take half as much as the previous cough medicine, so the same size bottle lasted through both that bronchitis AND the next cold. I can't remember what it was, but I will be sure to ask for the same thing next time. There is *always* a next time for me.
              Which proves, you get what you pay for. Sheesh. Our insurance pays the total cost of generics, but you can't always get those. I rejoiced last spring when a generic for Boniva came out. I had to actually tell my doc about it. But if something works, I don't understand complaining about the cost. And if you have a budget limit for meds, tell the doctor. They are not totally insensitive.

I hope you get through the winter cough free. Bronchitis can be a real bear.
              sigpic

Comment

I can virtually guarantee at least one bout of bronchitis and/or pneumonia every winter. I get a cold, and it invariably settles in my chest and spreads to a sinus infection too. My voice (what I have of one) will sound like Minnie Mouse, and dying at that point sounds like a real option
                sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday and... S-minus 3 hours and 55 minutes to The Prodigal!

First up, this week's College Football Roundup: This week was another mixed bag, as Georgia fell to Auburn in a last-minute heartbreaker 43-38, Virginia Tech lost to Maryland in overtime 27-24, Navy beat South Alabama 42-14, Air Force and UTSA had byes, and my beloved USC Trojans UPSET #4-ranked Stanford with a nailbiting 20-17! After all those times of Stanford messing up our potential-champion seasons...Revenge. Is. Sweet.

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                  That's what I was thinking. Plus, I know from experience that Elizabeth is gonna need someone waiting on her hand and foot.
                  And I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing that part!
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

S-minus 50 minutes to The Prodigal!

BTW, Southern Red & ShipperWriter, you two might want to clear out your PM inboxes.
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                      S-minus 50 minutes to The Prodigal!

BTW, Southern Red & ShipperWriter, you two might want to clear out your PM inboxes.
                      Done. And I'm ready for the snarkfest.
                      sigpic

Comment

S-minus 29 minutes to The Prodigal!

Done. And I'm ready for the snarkfest.
                        You think we're gonna need some booze for this one?

Comment

S-minus 15 minutes to The Prodigal!

Comment

Hello, everyone! I am here and ready for "The Prodigal".

Looks like the gang's all back together. Thanks for that. And, before anyone asks, the next episode is in the works.
                            Thank you so much for the update. Those are great news!
                            sigpic
                            sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

S-minus 9 minutes to The Prodigal!

Comment

S-minus 5 minutes!

Comment

Working...
                                X