Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
    Me neither. I can't remember watching movies even when I was in school, and it wasn't that long ago...
    Watched Silence Of The Lambs during Religious studies ... ... and The Mission too of course (twice even).

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    But Raiders? Uh...in what curriculum does that fit? Even the new Common Core isn't that bad.
    In our case, the professor of medieval studies felt like he had to make a proper introduction, one that he knew would be remembered by his students, and make him cool all at once. He didn't need the film to make him be cool. He was doing his final year before retirement and we were all sad to see him go, cause he rocked it. I loved him.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I had a history teacher that would show all these cool old movies that showed whatever time period we were studying.

I learned a lot in those classes.
      sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Except movies can be quite ... well, accuracy sometimes is a bit of an issue... Like Troy, or Gladiator, or Titanic... or worse, 10,000 BC... *shudders*

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Except movies can be quite ... well, accuracy sometimes is a bit of an issue... Like Troy, or Gladiator, or Titanic... or worse, 10,000 BC... *shudders*
          Not those movies. He wouldn't show them, in fact he'd tell us all the errors they'd made.
          sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
          https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
            Not those movies. He wouldn't show them, in fact he'd tell us all the errors they'd made.
            Pfew... faith restored. ... a little...

Comment

Pfew... faith restored. ... a little...
              And he really loved teaching the subject.

Comment

I don't even want to think about showing movies in school. I will have to lie down with a cool cloth on my forehead. Okay, I do remember showing Ivanhoe to my class when we were studying that time in history, so yeah. But Raiders? Uh...in what curriculum does that fit? Even the new Common Core isn't that bad.
                Umm, we just discussed ancient Egypt and the Hebrews. So that???

And
                Spoiler:
                don't even get me started on Common Core. While I don't have to apply it myself because I don't teach, I'm not a big proponent of the "we don't care about what students think" notion (which was actually said during a staff meeting by our principal, I swear to God). They're so fixated on making kids be able to interpret text, use correct grammar, and the like (which I'm not against, by any means) that it almost feels like they don't encourage freeness of thought, like students aren't allowed to have their own opinions.

But what do I know? I'm just a sign language interpreter.

Comment

That's my thought exactly. You have to know your subject and be able to point out errors.

Umm, we just discussed ancient Egypt and the Hebrews. So that???

And
                  Spoiler:
                  don't even get me started on Common Core. While I don't have to apply it myself because I don't teach, I'm not a big proponent of the "we don't care about what students think" notion (which was actually said during a staff meeting by our principal, I swear to God). They're so fixated on making kids be able to interpret text, use correct grammar, and the like (which I'm not against, by any means) that it almost feels like they don't encourage freeness of thought, like students aren't allowed to have their own opinions.

But what do I know? I'm just a sign language interpreter.
                  Yeah, tell me about it. Common Core is hugely controversial. It seems like one of the few things that liberals and conservatives alike agree on but for different reasons. All I know about it is the bits I hear from friends who say there are a lot of factual errors, especially in the math parts. I'm glad it focuses on grammar, etc, but it doesn't seem to teach them to think for themselves from what I hear. But it's being pushed through and they don't want to hear from the parents. Typical of the government schools.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Varda View Post
                    *hugs back*
                    Glad you're OK

I haven't been hiding, my table wasn't quite set yet, so I tried to arrange it. Things got pretty tough this semester, both with Chinese and English universities.
                    Besides, my Mom's friend asked me to help her 9-year-old daughter with English.. wait, does it make me kinda English tutor now? o__O
                    Ans I still somehow managed to get to season 6 of SG-1, I usually use my tablet to watch it on my way to university and back, it's a great way of killing the time! After I'm done with SG-1, I plan to re-watch the best Atlantis eps (with dearest Elizabeth ones, right), and some moments of SGU..
                    Thanks, Varda.

Sounds like you almost have things organized how you want them now. And I agree with SR, that does make you and English tutor.

Here's another snippet from my "Persuasion" meets Sparky story.

Spoiler:
                    This takes place after the "Admiral Croft thinks you're getting married so should they move out?"-"No, I'm not getting married to Simon (Mr. Elliot), I hate his guts."-Lady Russell interrupts and Elizabeth tells her off" moment.

---------

Charlie heard a rapid knocking at his mother's door and paced over to open it.

When he saw Elizabeth standing on the other side, smiling yet looking like she had just run across town, he raised his eyebrows and chuckled. "Hey! I didn't think you were coming until later."

Elizabeth threw a look over her shoulder. "You know how it is. Unwelcome visitors in your home that make you not want to stay there a moment longer than necessary."

Charlie nodded in understanding, perhaps a little too hastily. Somehow, though, with the history between them, he almost felt certain that Elizabeth knew who that nod was directed at.

"Is your mother here?" Elizabeth asked, pulling her coat a little tighter as a gust of wind blew down the street.

"Yeah, sorry, come on in."

He pulled the door open wider and allowed her entrance. He had barely let the door close when her breath hitched in her throat.

"What's wrong?" he asked automatically, turning around to face her.

"Sorry, Charlie, I kinda scared her," John replied with a chuckle, standing barely an arm's length away from her with his hand grasping her upper arm.

Charlie laughed in slight embarrassment as he realized that they literally had run into each other. "Oh, Lizzie, I forgot to tell you John was here too. Sorry about that."

Elizabeth quickly turned her head and smiled at him. "It's okay, I just narrowly avoided having to go to the doctor."

John shrugged. "No harm, no foul. Although if you had run into me, you probably would've knocked me over."

It was at this point that Charlie realized that John was still holding Elizabeth's arm, flexing his fingers lightly. And despite the shock that had blazed across her face only a few seconds prior, she was now relaxed and smiling.

"Have you been working out?" John asked with a sarcastic chuckle.

Her laugh was soft, but genuine. Charlie hadn't heard that in years.

A fourth voice entered the room. "Elizabeth! So glad that you could make it!"

Charlie almost cursed his mother for interrupting the moment that John and Elizabeth were having. But Elizabeth had come to see Nadine, so he figured that he didn't really have a choice.

And even though Nadine ushered Elizabeth into the other room to chit chat, her eyes were still locked on John's.

So as soon as he heard the door shut, Charlie turned on his heel and stared point blank at John. "What's going on?"

John raised his eyebrows, feigning innocence -- at least, trying to. "What are you talking about?"

"That thing with you and Elizabeth just now. Two weeks ago, you could barely stand to look at her. And now you're flirting. Not that I'm condemning it. Personally, I think you should've made up years ago."

"Charlie, you didn't know me back then. Things were different."

"True as that may be, the fact remains that Elizabeth never got over you."

"And how would you even know that?"

"Because she refused to go out with me!" Charlie retorted, raising his voice just enough for John to get the point. "When we first met, I was instantly taken with her. I tried everything to be a standup guy to get her to even notice me. But she wouldn't come out of her shell. Eventually I figured out that someone had already stolen her heart, but I didn't realize who... until five minutes ago."

John stepped closer and lowered his voice. "Okay, fine. We were young, head over heels in love, and had already made plans to get married. Then she changed her mind and wouldn't have anything to do with me. But ever since I came back in her life, I realized it wasn't her. It was Diana Russell, and her father, who couldn't stand the idea of someone so inferior being engaged to his daughter. But things are different now." He dipped his head. "I've spent ten years being mad at her for no reason. Is it wrong that I'm trying to win her back now?"

Charlie shook his head. "No, no," he replied immediately. "And I haven't seen her this happy since ... well, I can't remember when." He smiled. "Go for it."

John smiled back.
                    You have my complete attention now, SW. More please.
                    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

I have always thought that the purpose of school is to teach kids the mechanics of learning (reading, writing, math) and to teach them critical THINKING ... maybe that's why I'm not higher up in the educational hierarchy... pfft, what do I know? But, my kids can analyze an issue, not just regurgitate
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                        I have always thought that the purpose of school is to teach kids the mechanics of learning (reading, writing, math) and to teach them critical THINKING ... maybe that's why I'm not higher up in the educational hierarchy... pfft, what do I know? But, my kids can analyze an issue, not just regurgitate
                        Boy are you naive. Hahaha.

I was around the education field long enough to see it all come and go. Common Core is just all the other programs revised and revisited. This too shall pass. Unfortunately, it is distracting a lot of good teachers from doing exactly what you said the purpose of school is because they are having to jump through a lot of nonsensical hoops and completely revise their teaching styles. My philosophy, though, was that when you close the door and TPTB aren't watching, you can teach however you see fit.

And to keep on topic, it's probably like what takes place in Atlantis when the nosey Nellies from Earth aren't around.
                        sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family and College Football Saturday! Good luck to everyone's teams!

Boy are you naive. Hahaha.

I was around the education field long enough to see it all come and go. Common Core is just all the other programs revised and revisited. This too shall pass. Unfortunately, it is distracting a lot of good teachers from doing exactly what you said the purpose of school is because they are having to jump through a lot of nonsensical hoops and completely revise their teaching styles. My philosophy, though, was that when you close the door and TPTB aren't watching, you can teach however you see fit.

And to keep on topic, it's probably like what takes place in Atlantis when the nosey Nellies from Earth aren't around.
                          Poor poor Woolsey. Imagine how he must feel, knowing he's been corrupted by the Dark Side.
                          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                            Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family and College Football Saturday! Good luck to everyone's teams!

Poor poor Woolsey. Imagine how he must feel, knowing he's been corrupted by the Dark Side.
                            The Hokies played on Thursday night and beat Georgia Tech 17-10. Good luck to everyone else today.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                              But the Dark Side has cookies... or so I've heard.

Comment

But the Dark Side has cookies... or so I've heard.
                                Cookies Why didn't they just say so? I'm sure they'd have more followers if they said that.

Join the Dark Side. We have a Death Star, and it's full of cookies
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X