Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/poundpuppy29/Sparky/normal_atl_117_0080.jpg
    this is one I did a manip for...

sigpic

Comment

I won't quote SR here, because it's nearly 11 and I'm too sleepy to try it (probably crash the site if I did), but I was actually thinking about a whole new idea, not tied to Legacy. Just convince them scads of money are in the offing (which would be true if the book was good), and see what happens. I think the reactions would be hilarious.
      If I could weigh in about books (of which I have a lot), the nice thing about book books theses days is that used copies are cheap. Like five bucks cheap, like the shipping-costs-more-than-the-book cheap. Great time to scoop up books, if you've got the room.
      Of course, for some stuff, you'd be crazy not to do the computer thing. I'm reading a book about a Civil War campaign, and the author remarks in passing that he can get the whole series of official records, which would take up a whole wall and cost multiple thousands in book form, for about 500 bucks on dvd. And they come in a nice case, too.
      For the record, Reliquary isn't bad, but I've been disappointed by SG1 and SGA books. Star Wars novels too. They don't seem to ring true to the characters.
      Interesting to note that after two years of no mention of anything Stargate, SyFy suddenly having a Stargate marathon Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        Dirty little secret. You never finish the book. It's a near impossibility, especially in History. I've seen some of the recent texts and I hate the way they have condensed everything down and left out some truly important stuff. Yet they put in a bunch of crap that has nothing to do with actual history.
        This is so true. My past history classes have never finished the textbook, and when standardized testing rolls around, we're left to fend for ourselves. They should at least cover all the material to be tested if they want us to do well. My history class next year will be the one exception. 8 1/2 x 11 inch book, 922 pages, small font, and very dense material. We're going to read the entire book, our teacher said when he passed out our summer assignment. Judging from his sardonic tone, he wasn't joking with us. Oh joy.
        sigpic
        Please visit sga-rising.com for a Season 6 of Stargate: Atlantis
        View my projects on FF.net || AO3 || YouTube

(Formerly known as Sparks of Atlantis)

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
          I just love the smell and feel of a good book in your hands. I've thought about getting a iPad before but everytime I do I keep thinking if I'm going to be using a PADD shouldn't I be working on a starship?
          ROFL!

Dirty little secret. You never finish the book. It's a near impossibility, especially in History. I've seen some of the recent texts and I hate the way they have condensed everything down and left out some truly important stuff. Yet they put in a bunch of crap that has nothing to do with actual history.
          Well, thanks for shattering my idealistic expectations of the educational system.

Oh wait. Working for them for two years already did that.

Ooh, pretty!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks of Atlantis View Post
            This is so true. My past history classes have never finished the textbook, and when standardized testing rolls around, we're left to fend for ourselves. They should at least cover all the material to be tested if they want us to do well. My history class next year will be the one exception. 8 1/2 x 11 inch book, 922 pages, small font, and very dense material. We're going to read the entire book, our teacher said when he passed out our summer assignment. Judging from his sardonic tone, he wasn't joking with us. Oh joy.
            Let me guess, your teacher is young and inexperienced.

The standardized tests vs finishing the curriculum is a huge catch 22. I can remember scrambling to cover things for tests. But remember also, there are things the teacher knows that you don't. Sometimes the curriculum doesn't require that you cover the whole book. When I was teaching at one point we had to cover the part of the social studies book relating to the US, which was the first 2/3 or so, then we had to choose a country to do a survey study of from the rest of the book. We had about 4 choices for that part. The rest of the book wasn't covered. That was in elementary school, but in high school the books get longer and more involved, so a lot has to be left out. I don't ever remember getting past the Civil War when I taught middle school.

Let me know if your teacher does manage to cover that whole book.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Here, it is arranged that US history is broken into two parts - Pre-Civil War and touching on Reconstruction in middle school and Post-Civil War/Reconstruction in high school. No, you don't go through the whole book (usually) because the teachers know that the standardized tests only cover through say, VietNam. Also, publishers purposely put more into texts than CAN be covered during a school year on the off chance that someone will be able to cover more. Keeps them from being left with nothing at the end of the year. I do a good job in my social studies classes - in Economics I cover 16 of 18 chapters in one semester. In Sociology, I cover 16 of 17 chapters, and in Government, I cover 20 of 24. However, the extra chapters all tend to be filler type stuff that maybe expands on something already covered. In Government, the extra chapters focus on State government, rather than the national government.
              sigpic

Comment

The standardized tests vs finishing the curriculum is a huge catch 22. I can remember scrambling to cover things for tests. But remember also, there are things the teacher knows that you don't. Sometimes the curriculum doesn't require that you cover the whole book. When I was teaching at one point we had to cover the part of the social studies book relating to the US, which was the first 2/3 or so, then we had to choose a country to do a survey study of from the rest of the book. We had about 4 choices for that part. The rest of the book wasn't covered. That was in elementary school, but in high school the books get longer and more involved, so a lot has to be left out. I don't ever remember getting past the Civil War when I taught middle school.

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                Here, it is arranged that US history is broken into two parts - Pre-Civil War and touching on Reconstruction in middle school and Post-Civil War/Reconstruction in high school. No, you don't go through the whole book (usually) because the teachers know that the standardized tests only cover through say, VietNam. Also, publishers purposely put more into texts than CAN be covered during a school year on the off chance that someone will be able to cover more. Keeps them from being left with nothing at the end of the year. I do a good job in my social studies classes - in Economics I cover 16 of 18 chapters in one semester. In Sociology, I cover 16 of 17 chapters, and in Government, I cover 20 of 24. However, the extra chapters all tend to be filler type stuff that maybe expands on something already covered. In Government, the extra chapters focus on State government, rather than the national government.
                *head spins*

AU Glad I'm just a math teacher.

AU Yeah. And I'm the government teacher.

AU Which is why I'm giving you this neck massage.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                  I didn't know you were a teacher. That sounds like the way it's done here also. And when I was in college, it was also broken down the same way. I have a minor in History, so I had to take a lot of it. I'm glad government is still being taught. From some of the ideas young people have today, I've been afraid they had dropped that subject along with grammar and spelling.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                    The sad thing is, they've made books bigger and put more information into them, but I don't remember one class last year (freshman year for my student) when they actually went through the entire book.

And I'm back to work in two weeks. I'm already in mourning for my summer vacation.
                    My tiny little violin is playing for you.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                    I just love the smell and feel of a good book in your hands. I've thought about getting a iPad before but everytime I do I keep thinking if I'm going to be using a PADD shouldn't I be working on a starship?

We never finished books back in my day either.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Well, thanks for shattering my idealistic expectations of the educational system.

Oh wait. Working for them for two years already did that.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                      My tiny little violin is playing for you.
                      Sherlock Holmes style, plucking the strings.

*head spins*

AU Glad I'm just a math teacher.

AU Yeah. And I'm the government teacher.

AU Which is why I'm giving you this neck massage.
                      RAWR. They would make such great teachers!
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Err... not true. He looks to be somewhere around his late thirties to early forties and has a Master's Degree in U.S. History. He's been teaching this course for a while now. Perhaps I should have been more specific - he's teaching an AP course, so he has to cover everything to prepare us for AP testing in May. Considering how we had summer homework to get a head start on the material, I do believe that he was being serious. *looks around sheepishly*
                        sigpic
                        Please visit sga-rising.com for a Season 6 of Stargate: Atlantis
                        View my projects on FF.net || AO3 || YouTube

(Formerly known as Sparks of Atlantis)

Comment

AP history courses are another kettle of fish entirely. Yes, you are expected to know ALL the material. There's tons of reading - so getting some done over the summer will really assist you in the long run.
                          sigpic

Comment

AP History was easy for me.
                            sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                            https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks of Atlantis View Post
                              Err... not true. He looks to be somewhere around his late thirties to early forties and has a Master's Degree in U.S. History. He's been teaching this course for a while now. Perhaps I should have been more specific - he's teaching an AP course, so he has to cover everything to prepare us for AP testing in May. Considering how we had summer homework to get a head start on the material, I do believe that he was being serious. *looks around sheepishly*
                              In that case, it's good you're getting a head start. Get ready for an exciting year.
                              sigpic

Comment

hehehe - all this teacher talk has resulted in an advertisement at the bottom of the page for getting a Degree in Education "Want to become a teacher?"
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X