Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    Dude, you can lift your walker? Is that how you work out?

Some of the comments made above about canon and writing are the major reason SGA-R has tried so hard to stick with what was shown on screen, no matter how much most of us might disagree with it. We resisted the temptation to bring Elizabeth back early on and are
    Spoiler:
    resisting the bigger temptation now to get her and John into a relationship before enough time has passed to make it believable.
    Any continuation of a series should strike the same tone as the show. That's just common sense. Those books we've been talking about are supposed to follow canon, and I think they are allowed to grow the characters and change things in a forward direction, but they can't go back and change canon. So, that brings up a question. Has the person at MGM who approves the books ever watched the show long enough to understand how it all fit together or did they just read a summary of the characters and plots? Because, to my way of thinking, anyone who thinks the Athosians are polyamorous just wasn't paying attention.

OT: We enjoy the TV show The Glades. Last week they had a plot involving polyamory, which immediately made me think of the Legacy books. LOL In fact they showed the people in committed relationships, not just wandering around on walks and making babies with casual friends. *shudders*
    So what you're saying is... it's going to happen?

On a more serious note, I'm glad that it's being done slowly. Ships do need to be treated with care, especially in this virtual series, which is targeted toward the general SGA audience. We also need to get Elizabeth back in the swing of things before we even start thinking about ships.

On the contrary, TPTW didn't seem to have any problem with shoving McKeller down our throats in the span of two seasons. I'm probably in the minority group, as I genuinely support this ship, but even I felt that this relationship was significantly rushed. Not to mention, this pairing included a new character to the show, so I can imagine how much hate toward this character that ensued.

And we don't want anyone to hate on our beloved Sparky pairing, right?

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

This. All of this, so hard. With Atlantis Rising, we set out to create stories that any fan could read and enjoy, and be able to say, "I can see this happening on the TV show." A good, well-written media tie-in should feel like it just stepped out of the TV/movie theater and into the book (or in our case, website). I still find it rather telling to note that the first Stargate novel to win a Scribe Award (given out at Comic-Con by the International Association of Media Tie-In Writers) is still also the only one to have ever won; that would be Casualties of War by Elizabeth Christensen back in 2008. If a jury of their author peers can't find the newer Stargate novels worthy of even a nomination, that's saying something.
    I didn't know that either. That says a lot about just how much worth these books have.
    sigpic
    Please visit sga-rising.com for a Season 6 of Stargate: Atlantis
    View my projects on FF.net || AO3 || YouTube

(Formerly known as Sparks of Atlantis)

Comment

Glad that it's going to happen soon!
      sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks of Atlantis View Post
        So what you're saying is... it's going to happen?

On a more serious note, I'm glad that it's being done slowly. Ships do need to be treated with care, especially in this virtual series, which is targeted toward the general SGA audience. We also need to get Elizabeth back in the swing of things before we even start thinking about ships.

On the contrary, TPTW didn't seem to have any problem with shoving McKeller down our throats in the span of two seasons. I'm probably in the minority group, as I genuinely support this ship, but even I felt that this relationship was significantly rushed. Not to mention, this pairing included a new character to the show, so I can imagine how much hate toward this character that ensued.

And we don't want anyone to hate on our beloved Sparky pairing, right?

I didn't know that either. That says a lot about just how much worth these books have.
        Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
        Glad that it's going to happen soon!
        Just to clear this up. I never said it's going to happen. I said we resisted the urge to jump right in and do it. And if it is something we might think about way in the future, it certainly won't be happening any time soon. The enjoyment of just having her back will have to suffice for quite some time yet.

Also, there has been plenty of hating on our pair. Luckily, most of you guys missed all that. And it's likely to happen again no matter what we say here or do in SGA-R. The hate comes from not wanting to believe what you can't miss with your own eyes. IMHO, of course.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Just to clear this up. I never said it's going to happen. I said we resisted the urge to jump right in and do it. And if it is something we might think about way in the future, it certainly won't be happening any time soon. The enjoyment of just having her back will have to suffice for quite some time yet.

Also, there has been plenty of hating on our pair. Luckily, most of you guys missed all that. And it's likely to happen again no matter what we say here or do in SGA-R. The hate comes from not wanting to believe what you can't miss with your own eyes. IMHO, of course.
          I don't think anyone is taking for granted that we have Elizabeth back. I mean, we've waited -- what, five, six years for this?

And, of course, we're all entitled to our own opinion. However, I think my rose colored contacts may be affecting mine.

Comment

How heavy is the prescription of the rose colored contacts, SW?
            sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
            https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
              How heavy is the prescription of the rose colored contacts, SW?
              In RL, if anyone tries on my glasses, they go blind. So, strong. *nods*

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                In RL, if anyone tries on my glasses, they go blind. So, strong. *nods*
                My prescription is pretty strong as well in RL. Contacts are barely worth the amount of money that they'd cost me.

Comment

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post
                  This seems appropriate to bring up again...

http://s677.photobucket.com/user/Eri...small.jpg.html
                  Oh so cool, I really love it!! Kanaan is so sweet and understandable.

I never forget how supportive he was, when Teyla was trying to decide whether to remain on John’s team or not.

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post
                  Also, I did a t-shirt design for Atlantis. Wanted something pretty and feminine, since the official retailers are a bit lacking in that department.

Quite lovely!!!!

I don't think the schedule for the stage appearances is out yet. Maybe we'll get the boys and Torri together. They've done the Joe/David show to death. It's time to add someone new. We can't hope for Joe and Torri, I guess.
                  Was there ever a panel in which Torri/Joe/David had been together? I would love to see the three of them together.

Anyone see the book review featured on GW's home page? It's for one of the Legacy books.
                  Unfortunately, I have to admit that I read this book, and I couldn’t agree more with what the reviewer said in what concerned the “weaknesses” of the book.

The review contains phrases such as, “not quite believable,”
                  Like the reviewer says, the background story made for John is completely unbelievable, at least when compared with what we saw in the show.

One can easily infer that the author is a Sheyla shipper from the lines, "Dr. Weir is almost nonexistent" and "Sheppard and Teyla briefly mistaken as husband and wife."
                  She definitely is!!! Although at the same time, I am not able to understand if she actually likes John or not. Or at least she doesn’t seem to like him the way he is in the show, or then she would not write him in such an unbelievable way.
                  sigpic
                  sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Dude, you can lift your walker? Is that how you work out?

Some of the comments made above about canon and writing are the major reason SGA-R has tried so hard to stick with what was shown on screen, no matter how much most of us might disagree with it. We resisted the temptation to bring Elizabeth back early on and are
                    Spoiler:
                    resisting the bigger temptation now to get her and John into a relationship before enough time has passed to make it believable.
                    Any continuation of a series should strike the same tone as the show. That's just common sense. Those books we've been talking about are supposed to follow canon, and I think they are allowed to grow the characters and change things in a forward direction, but they can't go back and change canon. So, that brings up a question. Has the person at MGM who approves the books ever watched the show long enough to understand how it all fit together or did they just read a summary of the characters and plots? Because, to my way of thinking, anyone who thinks the Athosians are polyamorous just wasn't paying attention.

OT: We enjoy the TV show The Glades. Last week they had a plot involving polyamory, which immediately made me think of the Legacy books. LOL In fact they showed the people in committed relationships, not just wandering around on walks and making babies with casual friends. *shudders*
                    What can I say, being a wise*** is fun sometimes. I get to sit on ice cream and tell what flavor it is.

I get the felling somebody at MGM fumbled the ball big time and if it was with a series with a more widespread fan base they would be looking for a new job right about now.
                    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

I finally got my Internet back at home, and I can now post this:

*singsongs* JT, I think you're gonna like this!

Spoiler:
                      "Persuasion"

The iPhone on the antique mahogany table buzzed. At first, Elizabeth thought that it was her sister's; after all, Ann had a terribly chronic habit of leaving her belongings all over the house. And despite moving into a new house, in a new city, it didn't seem that old habits were going to change.

But Elizabeth reached for her phone in the back pocket of her jeans and realized it wasn't there, and the vibrating continued, so she paced across the floor and grabbed her phone.

It wasn't a voice call, but a lengthy text message from Mary.

"Lizzie, I think I'm coming down with something. My head hurts and my nose is stuffed up. If there's any chance you could swing by and keep me company for awhile, I would really like that. But if you can't, you know, I understand. I'm sure there is something more exciting for you to do than hang out with your sick sister. Oh well. Let me know."

Elizabeth hung her head and groaned. Mary had been a hypochondriac since she was a child, ever since she found out that it was the best way to get their mother to pay attention to her. Even after their mother's death and their entrance into adulthood, it had not lessened. Elizabeth was frequently finding herself feeling pity for Charlie, as well as amazement that he had been able to sanely bear it this long.

Without replying, she slid the phone back in her pocket.

Then someone knocked at the door.

Her eyes darted to the mess in the entryway. Knowing that Ann probably expected her sister to clean it up, she sighed and made her way to the door.

When John Sheppard looked up at her with sad hazel eyes, she almost took a step back. "John."

He nodded at her, wringing his hands. "You got a minute?"

"Umm, sure." She backed up just far enough for him to walk in the doorway. "Sorry about the mess."

"Don't worry about it. I'm only here as a favor to Sophie and Edward. Can we talk?"

Elizabeth gestured to the empty dining room.

He walked in and paced to the end of the table, sighing heavily before turning around. "I don't know how else to say this than to just spit it out, so here goes. Sophie heard that you and Wallace were getting married."

Elizabeth gasped as quietly as she could.

Apparently it wasn't quiet enough as John gritted his teeth. "And they're under the impression that he wants you to live back in Kellynch after the wedding. So they sent me to ask if this true. And if it is, they'll start looking for a new place immediately."

Her jaw hung open for a moment. "I ... I don't know what to say."

John cocked his head to the side. "Yes or no would suffice."

Elizabeth shook her head. "Yes. I mean, no."

God, why was it so hard to concentrate when he was around?

"I don't know who told Sophie that, but no. I'm not engaged. And I'm definitely not marrying Simon."

His eyes widened. "You're... not?"

"No," she quietly replied, finally raising her head to meet his gaze.

And for the first time in years, she saw hope.

The door rapidly opened and shut behind her, and she saw the familiar mask cross John's face, which meant it was probably only one of two people.

"Elizabeth?" an unwelcome voice asked from behind her.

Her eyes closed and she sighed.

Diana Russell walked around her and shot a harsh glare at John. "I apologize for interrupting your conversation, but I really need to speak with Elizabeth."

"Can't it wait?" Elizabeth asked, refusing to take need eyes off of John's.

He held up a hand. "It's all right, I need to get back to Sophie's anyway," he said by way of farewell, carefully winding his way around the table to get to the door.

Elizabeth waited until he was closest to her, then leaned towards him. "Can we talk later?"

He nodded quickly. "Yeah, I think we should."

The door hadn't even shut behind him before Diana started speaking. "So it's true? Simon proposed?"

Elizabeth nodded, even though she didn't want to. The thought of being married to him, though at one time attractive, was now causing her stomach to turn.

"He did, but I didn't say yes."

Her godmother's eyebrows rose in disbelief. "You turned him down?"

"No. He didn't give me enough time to."

Diana scoffed and threw her arms up. "I don't believe this. You would turn down the first man to ask for your hand in marriage?"

"The first reputable man, you mean," Elizabeth retorted, placing her hands on her hips as she glared back. "You know full well he wasn't the first."

Angrily, Diana raised her hand and pointed an accusatory finger at her. "Don't even go there. That was eight years ago."

"Yes, it was. We were both young, and eight years ago was not the right time to get married." She raised her eyes to meet Diana's and frowned angrily at her. "But he is the same man today that he was then. Tell me, was there anything you found objectionable about him aside from his lack of fortune?"

Diana began to reply, but the look on her face was one that she had seen on her father's a thousand times whenever he would begin discussing his disdain of anybody in the military.

So Elizabeth cut in.

"And don't even think about using the 'military makes them heroes when they're not' argument. That had absolutely nothing to do with it then, and it doesn't now."

Diana's jaw snapped shut and she ran a hand through her short blonde hair. "Elizabeth, you know that I have always looked out for you like you were my own daughter. But I could never have lived with myself, knowing that I supported a match that you would've regretted in the years to come. And you finally came around to understand as well, if I recall correctly."

"I never came around," Elizabeth spat out with a vehemence she didn't realize she had. "You, and my father, and Ann, and Mary, everyone did everything in their power to persuade me that it was wrong. And I finally gave in because I didn't like the feeling of knowing that my family, and my closest friend, were against me." She stopped walking, not even realizing that she had been pacing around the room, and turned to look at Diana. "But that was a long time ago, and I've seen more than my fair share of hypocrisy in the world since then. I've watched as my sister dismissed me as nothing more than a servant. My father started dating a woman who has nothing to her name, except for the fact that she is loaded and fertile. And you encourage a match between me and Simon, knowing full well that he is the last man in the world that I would ever want to marry."

Diana set her jaw rigidly and narrowed her eyes. It was obvious that she did not like her goddaughter regaling her of all the bad conduct of her family over the course of the last eight years, but Elizabeth didn't care anymore. She was done being told what to do by people who did not have her best interests at heart.

"So if you don't mind, I have a social appointment to keep with Charlie's mother, and I don't want to be late." And with that, she snatched her coat off a chair and marched out the door, allowing herself a small smirk as it slammed shut behind her.
                      This is seriously good, SW!!!

Since I can't green you again yet, HUGE MENTAL GREEN!!

It feels like I walked into the middle of a great novel. Have I missed something you posted somewhere?
                      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
                        She definitely is!!! Although at the same time, I am not able to understand if she actually likes John or not. Or at least she doesn’t seem to like him the way he is in the show, or then she would not write him in such an unbelievable way.
                        If John is written in Death Games the same way he is written in Homecoming and her fanfic, then he's definitely not the guy we saw on SGA. In fact the characterization of him in the fanfic is so bad as to be nearly crack. Teyla too.
                        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                          This is seriously good, SW!!!

Since I can't green you again yet, HUGE MENTAL GREEN!!

It feels like I walked into the middle of a great novel. Have I missed something you posted somewhere?
                          Thanks! Actually, no, this was the first part I've written. I've had the idea in my head for months to write a Sparky AU fic based off Jane Austen's "Persuasion", and I watched one of the movies a few nights ago, and this popped out.

Comment

Thanks! Actually, no, this was the first part I've written. I've had the idea in my head for months to write a Sparky AU fic based off Jane Austen's "Persuasion", and I watched one of the movies a few nights ago, and this popped out.
                            Is Persuasion a book as well?

Comment

sigpic
                              My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                              poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

I gave you some green but figured you should get a public JOB WELL DONE from me as well. Nice!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X