No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I could go to a con it's way out of my price range right now I would love to go to Comic Con or Dragon Con but I love lots of Scifi & Fantasy as my sig tells you

sigpic
    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
      Yeah, there are advantages to both kinds I suppose. If crowds or long lines or camping out doesn't bother you, then a big con would be great. But I don't like any of those things.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38197[/ATTACH]

Great minds think alike. My back couldn't handle it either.

DC wouldn't be that far for me. I could even take the train and pretend to be SK.
      And I might even let you stay with me if you're good.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        You read my mind. Chicago was just a perfect size. Mr. SR wants to go to DragonCon, but I'm ignoring it until he forgets. Which won't take long. In fact he probably already has. My back can't handle all that standing around any more. *waves cane* The Hawaii one sounds great. I'm sorry it's so far though. Washington DC has a great convention center. What are we, chopped liver? Sure would be cheaper and easier to get to.
        I think my back and knee issues are one of the reasons I may never make a bigger con. It's never a good sign when you check with an RA in college if you could bring a cane. I'll just have to keep a close eye on the page for the one in Columbus, OH to see if they ever get any SGA actors to come.
        I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

And I might even let you stay with me if you're good.
          1bighug.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
            I think my back and knee issues are one of the reasons I may never make a bigger con. It's never a good sign when you check with an RA in college if you could bring a cane. I'll just have to keep a close eye on the page for the one in Columbus, OH to see if they ever get any SGA actors to come.
            I've had back problems since college (which was a long, long time ago for me ), so I hear ya.

Sparky invalids assemble!

Comment

I've had back problems since college (which was a long, long time ago for me ), so I hear ya.

I'm here, the almost 25-year-old with hand and wrist problems and shin splints.

*feels glares from other folks as she types this*

I'll be y'all's personal aide for the duration of the con.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post

You're all making me feel ashamed to admit my pathetic big toe bunion that stabs in pain if I'm not wearing the right shoes.

I'll be over here with ShipperWriter as assistant personal aide.
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Anyone see the book review featured on GW's home page? It's for one of the Legacy books. All while reading it, I was just thinking, "SGA-R is doing it so much better."

But honestly, though. Even if I were completely unbiased toward the series, just from that one review alone, I would definitely not read the books, no matter how much they're declared to be canon. The review contains phrases such as, “not quite believable,” “felt a little out of place,” and “this just doesn’t seem like something our practical Athosian would do.” One can easily infer that the author is a Sheyla shipper from the lines, "Dr. Weir is almost nonexistent" and "Sheppard and Teyla briefly mistaken as husband and wife." The latter line and the scenario it insinuates is really audacious, in my opinion, considering how this book is supposed to take place in Season 2. Criticism is the bulk of the review, and the little light that it sheds on the positive side feels forced. From this thread, I've heard many things about the Legacy series, not many of which are kind, but it is really appalling to hear such commentary from a completely objective review.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry about this. But I really shouldn't be up this late.
                  sigpic
                  Please visit sga-rising.com for a Season 6 of Stargate: Atlantis
                  View my projects on FF.net || AO3 || YouTube

(Formerly known as Sparks of Atlantis)

Comment

Oh please. I have socks older than you.

And definitely you. But you can be my aide. I'm not at all demanding. *shifty eyes*

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                    You're all making me feel ashamed to admit my pathetic big toe bunion that stabs in pain if I'm not wearing the right shoes.

I'll be over here with ShipperWriter as assistant personal aide.
                    Now that's just pathetic. At least I have an excuse for my aches and pains. Bring me a cool drink.

Originally posted by Sparks of Atlantis View Post
                    Anyone see the book review featured on GW's home page? It's for one of the Legacy books. All while reading it, I was just thinking, "SGA-R is doing it so much better."

But honestly, though. Even if I were completely unbiased toward the series, just from that one review alone, I would definitely not read the books, no matter how much they're declared to be canon. The review contains phrases such as, “not quite believable,” “felt a little out of place,” and “this just doesn’t seem like something our practical Athosian would do.” One can easily infer that the author is a Sheyla shipper from the lines, "Dr. Weir is almost nonexistent" and "Sheppard and Teyla briefly mistaken as husband and wife." The latter line and the scenario it insinuates is really audacious, in my opinion, considering how this book is supposed to take place in Season 2. Criticism is the bulk of the review, and the little light that it sheds on the positive side feels forced. From this thread, I've heard many things about the Legacy series, not many of which are kind, but it is really appalling to hear such commentary from a completely objective review.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry about this. But I really shouldn't be up this late.
                    Oh lord child, have you hit my hot button. And so early in the morning also.

Jo Graham used her book Death Games as background for the Legacy books. As far as I can tell, all the characterizations go back to that book and of course her fanfic, all of which she has removed from various blogs. I'm glad the person who wrote that review sees it the same way I saw it when I read Homecoming. And even some reviewers on Amazon talk about how off the characterizations, particularly of John and Teyla, are. This has little to do with ship, but if you watched the show and got to know both of them, some of their actions in the books are totally unexplainable. And we won't even get into the whole reinvention of the Wraith. Since TPTB were planning to someday get John and Teyla together, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that the books were allowed to go in that direction. However, the way it was done destroys Teyla as a character and makes John look stupid, weak and indecisive. There are many many canon mistakes, along with many many science errors and I even found a few punctuation and grammar errors. How these books got approved is one of the all time mysteries of the Stargate universe.

Oh, and in fanfic Ronon and Radek were a couple, so I'm not surprised by that part either. You would be grateful she didn't write much about Elizabeth also if you had ever read how she was written in her fanfic. And Rodney gets not so great treatment all through the Legacy books also. *ends rant*
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks of Atlantis View Post

Do both. *shakes head* I was just actually thinking about SGA/Fandimonium books a couple days ago. I just started re-reading "Casualties of War" which, literally, feels like the novelization of an episode. But in contrast to another author who will remain nameless for this paragraph, the author of CoW actually works for the Air Force, so she has a clear understanding of rules and regs and has a very good way with using the words to paint a picture.

Unlike some fanfic writers turned "pro" who do not seem to possess the ability to write unbiasedly about characters they ship. *shakes head*

Oh please. I have socks older than you.

And definitely you. But you can be my aide. I'm not at all demanding. *shifty eyes*

Now that's just pathetic. At least I have an excuse for my aches and pains. Bring me a cool drink.
                      Hmm. I'm beginning to think this was a bad idea.

Oh lord child, have you hit my hot button. And so early in the morning also.

Jo Graham used her book Death Games as background for the Legacy books. As far as I can tell, all the characterizations go back to that book and of course her fanfic, all of which she has removed from various blogs. I'm glad the person who wrote that review sees it the same way I saw it when I read Homecoming. And even some reviewers on Amazon talk about how off the characterizations, particularly of John and Teyla, are. This has little to do with ship, but if you watched the show and got to know both of them, some of their actions in the books are totally unexplainable. And we won't even get into the whole reinvention of the Wraith. Since TPTB were planning to someday get John and Teyla together, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that the books were allowed to go in that direction. However, the way it was done destroys Teyla as a character and makes John look stupid, weak and indecisive. There are many many canon mistakes, along with many many science errors and I even found a few punctuation and grammar errors. How these books got approved is one of the all time mysteries of the Stargate universe.

Oh, and in fanfic Ronon and Radek were a couple, so I'm not surprised by that part either. You would be grateful she didn't write much about Elizabeth also if you had ever read how she was written in her fanfic. And Rodney gets not so great treatment all through the Legacy books also. *ends rant*
                      This. I've never read the Legacy books and am not intending to do so, even under threat of death, but if neutral readers that are fans of the canon show can make those distinctions, it only serves to reinforce my decision.

On a slightly different note, since we have some newer folks and it's been a while since we've discussed it: have you read any of the published SGA novels? If so, which ones and did you find that they felt more canon, like something you could've or would've liked to have seen on screen??? And did any of them seem to feel more Sparky than others? LOL

Comment

Do both. *shakes head* I was just actually thinking about SGA/Fandimonium books a couple days ago. I just started re-reading "Casualties of War" which, literally, feels like the novelization of an episode. But in contrast to another author who will remain nameless for this paragraph, the author of CoW actually works for the Air Force, so she has a clear understanding of rules and regs and has a very good way with using the words to paint a picture.

Unlike some fanfic writers turned "pro" who do not seem to possess the ability to write unbiasedly about characters they ship. *shakes head*

Hmm. I'm beginning to think this was a bad idea.

This. I've never read the Legacy books and am not intending to do so, even under threat of death, but if neutral readers that are fans of the canon show can make those distinctions, it only serves to reinforce my decision.

On a slightly different note, since we have some newer folks and it's been a while since we've discussed it: have you read any of the published SGA novels? If so, which ones and did you find that they felt more canon, like something you could've or would've liked to have seen on screen??? And did any of them seem to feel more Sparky than others? LOL
                        I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a possibility of 2 more legacy books. They are waiting for the decision by MGM even as we speak. The first will be called "Unascended" and from what I hear will most likely be
                        Spoiler:
                        about Elizabeth, since I believe they had her descend in the series or at least wrote that she had ascended.
                        This is not good news for her fans.

I have read Mirror Mirror, which I found very Sparky as
                        Spoiler:
                        John and Elizabeth were together for most of it. They were careful to not hint at any romance though.
                        Otherwise, it was exciting and I enjoyed it. Mr. SR read it and thought it jumped around so much as to be confusing. I thought the characterization, with a few minor glitches like Rodney liking lemon cake, was good. I would love to have seen this one on screen.

I also read Reliquary and enjoyed it though I don't remember many details. I don't think any of the books have any Sparky ship, or any other for that matter.

I read the novelization of Rising also, which pretty much follows the script right up to the end where
                        Spoiler:
                        instead of staying on the balcony with Elizabeth, John is led away by the hand by Teyla. Interesting change, wouldn't you say.
                        Now I wonder why that happened.
                        sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

*rushes to bring SR a mojito*

As far as the novels go...actually, scratch that, I won't even talk about those novels, they're an offense to my sensibilities and they don't exist in my universe. And it looks from the reviews of canon fans that are more objective than we are that they agree with that sentiment.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a possibility of 2 more legacy books. They are waiting for the decision by MGM even as we speak. The first will be called "Unascended" and from what I hear will most likely be
                          Spoiler:
                          about Elizabeth, since I believe they had her descend in the series or at least wrote that she had ascended.
                          Oh for pity's sake! Why can't they just leave Elizabeth alone? *headdesk*

I read the novelization of Rising also, which pretty much follows the script right up to the end where
                          Spoiler:
                          instead of staying on the balcony with Elizabeth, John is led away by the hand by Teyla. Interesting change, wouldn't you say.
                          I have a copy of the first draft of the Rising script (found it on eBay), and it ends this way also. It's typical for a novelization of a film/TV pilot/episode to be based off an earlier draft of a script due to the lead time needed to write and publish the book in order to meet a release date. As to why TPTW changed their minds about how to end the episode...interesting, indeed.
                          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I have a copy of the first draft of the Rising script (found it on eBay), and it ends this way also. It's typical for a novelization of a film/TV pilot/episode to be based off an earlier draft of a script due to the lead time needed to write and publish the book in order to meet a release date. As to why TPTW changed their minds about how to end the episode...interesting, indeed.
                            So it looks like they backed off that ship right from the pilot. Maybe somebody was paying attention to onscreen chemistry.
                            sigpic

Comment

So it looks like they backed off that ship right from the pilot. Maybe somebody was paying attention to onscreen chemistry.
                              But not enough to stop them from making some bad decisions further down the line, unfortunately.

Comment

I tried reading one of the novels once but I'd just started and read a review that said it was Weir-lite, so I realised it was nothing I'd be interested in.

Spoiler:
                                They just keep giving us the finger, don't they? Meh, I only needed to read a couple reviews to know this glorified badfic was not something I needed to bother with.

Spoiler:
                                EW, that's so corny it gives me second-hand embarrassment. I'm cringing just reading about it, lol.

Thank god there was at least one good soul with common sense in that crew.

Comment

Working...
                                X