Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    You're welcome. I'm pretty sure I saved those before I was even a member of the forum.... back when I was just a lurker (as SR or SK would say, the good old days ).

I wish I'd saved all your episode commentaries too (or at least the post number) because those were also really good.
    Oh, holy hades. Those took me so long to do! But they were fun. ;P Thanks!

By the by, Primum Movens Part II, CH II has been published (is too lazy to directly link it).

Click my sig.
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      Some people just can't help it. It used to tickle me to read the episode threads and predict shippers' reactions to a scene. I freely admit to being biased and seeing most things through Sparky eyes, but I can also play Devil's Advocate when necessary.

Hostility always baffled me. Elizabeth could have singlehandedly killed all the Wraith and brought peace and prosperity to all of Pegasus, and some people would still have blamed her for something. But the most baffling thing of all was how someone's OPINION could be wrong, and lots of posters all came to tell you why. There wasn't much agreeing to disagree back in the day. But being a bit perverse, I used to poke the bear sometimes just to hear him growl and prove he was a mean old bear.
      This reminds me of back when I was just a lurker and would read the general threads. Some of the comments would puzzle me. I knew I had my own viewpoint as a Sparky shipper, and I expected others to have theirs. But then some of the comments were so far out in left field (for example, some of the comments in the "I'm surprised I'm missing Weir" thread in TMC episode folder). It took awhile for me to see which users were the ones who loved their ship & hated Elizabeth so much that it interfered with logic.

To me, if you love and are confident in your ship then you shouldn't have to bring down the members of rival pairings*. For example, John is clearly friends with Teyla and Rodney. I can accept that, and think it's great. I don't think he had romantic feelings for either of them, but they are in his life and he enjoys their company. But not everyone has that same logic. Some people, including certain book authors, think that in order to promote their ship they have to make the friendship that John and Elizabeth shared non-existent or even have John disliking Elizabeth. In my opinion, if you are confident in your ship then you shouldn't have to do that.

*Again, there's a difference between having issues with how a character is portrayed and bashing. I really like Rodney (he's my 3rd fave behind Elizabeth, then John) but there are times when his characterization annoys me. Heck, there are times when John's and Elizabeth's characterizations annoy me. There's a difference between honest critique and downright bashing which includes comments on actors' physical appearances (which I've seen against both Torri and Jason), or just completely illogical statements.

/end rant
      Last edited by JT-2; 13 June 2013, 07:19 AM. Reason: Evidently I do need spell check

Comment

This reminds me of back when I was just a lurker and would read the general threads. Some of the comments would puzzle me. I knew I had my own viewpoint as a Sparky shipper, and I expected others to have theirs. But then some of the comments were so far out in left field (for example, some of the comments in the "I'm surprised I'm missing Weir" thread in TMC episode folder). It took awhile for me to see which users were the ones who loved their ship & hated Elizabeth so much that it interfered with logic.

To me, if you love and are confident in your ship then you shouldn't have to bring down the members of rival pairings*. For example, John is clearly friends with Teyla and Rodney. I can accept that, and think it's great. I don't think he had romantic feelings for either of them, but they are in his life and he enjoys their company. But not everyone has that same logic. Some people, including certain book authors, think that in order to promote their ship they have to make the friendship that John and Elizabeth shared non-existant or even have John disliking Elizabeth. In my opinion, if you are confident in your ship then you shouldn't have to do that.

*Again, there's a difference between having issues with how a character is portrayed and bashing. I really like Rodney (he's my 3rd fave behind Elizabeth, then John) but there are times when his characterization annoys me. Heck, there are times when John's and Elizabeth's characterizations annoy me. There's a difference between honest critique and downright bashing which includes comments on actors' physical appearances (which I've seen against both Torri and Jason), or just completely illogical statements.

/end rant
        ITA with all that, but there is a fine line between bashing and giving your opinion. Diehard fans sometimes don't want you to ever say anything less than glowing about someone.

Now for a bit OT.
        Spoiler:
        I just watched Joe's episode of Metal Hurlant Chronicles. OMG, I hope they paid him well. He was acting his little heart out all alone. I must say this has got to be one of the worst things I've ever seen...ever. If it hadn't been for all the yummy close ups and those leather pants, I wouldn't have survived it. A bit of creative Googling will lead you to it legally.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

the name alone makes me very wary...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
            the name alone makes me very wary...
            The name was the least of it, but Joe was great. More woobie faces than I've ever seen in one place.
            sigpic

Comment

The name was the least of it, but Joe was great. More woobie faces than I've ever seen in one place.
              What is the Metal Hurlant Chronicles about?
              sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
              https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                What is the Metal Hurlant Chronicles about?
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Métal_Hurlant_Chronicles Mr. Google can tell you more details.
                sigpic

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Métal_Hurlant_Chronicles Mr. Google can tell you more details.
                  I got second hand embarrassment just reading the name. Is it as bad as the name suggests?

Comment

Originally posted by Luz View Post
                    I got second hand embarrassment just reading the name. Is it as bad as the name suggests?
                    Worse and the acting except for Joe is truly awful. I liked his character and would love to see him play Hondo in a movie with good actors. He's a mercenary in space. Sort of Vegas!Shep with drugs and hookers and really bad language.

He will not want his family to see this one.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hola. Blegh.

Spoilers for gross medical stuff.

Spoiler:
                      i went to the walk in clinic this morning to treat an abscess in my arm pit. It wasn't ready to lance yet so he sent me home with a prescription. So I'm on antibiotics and probiotics and Aleve and heat compresses and oh God this hurts.

But I'm alive. Guess that's a plus.

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

The good thing about shopping... you can get lots of nice stuff you want/need. The bad thing about shopping... TRAFFIC. *headdesk*

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
                        Every corner of fandom has its own jerks, unfortunately.
                        Too true.

ITA with all that, but there is a fine line between bashing and giving your opinion. Diehard fans sometimes don't want you to ever say anything less than glowing about someone.

Now for a bit OT.
                        Spoiler:
                        I just watched Joe's episode of Metal Hurlant Chronicles. OMG, I hope they paid him well. He was acting his little heart out all alone. I must say this has got to be one of the worst things I've ever seen...ever. If it hadn't been for all the yummy close ups and those leather pants, I wouldn't have survived it. A bit of creative Googling will lead you to it legally.
                        So, would you say it's worth it to watch for Joe in leather pants and all that? And are there any parts we can fast forward through to get to more Joe?
                        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

t
                          Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                          Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

The good thing about shopping... you can get lots of nice stuff you want/need. The bad thing about shopping... TRAFFIC. *headdesk*

Too true.

So, would you say it's worth it to watch for Joe in leather pants and all that? And are there any parts we can fast forward through to get to more Joe?
                          It's so short, it's not worth the effort to FF. Plus the turtles (See what I mean.) explain the plot. I'd say it's worth it. He is smokin' hawt. The pants alone will feature prominently in my dreams for weeks to come.
                          Last edited by Southern Red; 13 June 2013, 01:44 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                            There were tornadoes in our area. Mercifully nowhere near where I live!
                            I'm still here!!

Other than a couple of tornado warnings and some hail things weren't too bad here, thankfully.
                            I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                              I'm still here!!

Other than a couple of tornado warnings and some hail things weren't too bad here, thankfully.
                              Good news!!

Comment

Good news!!
                                Thanks. From what I saw on the news the really bad parts of the storm either went just to the north or south of us.
                                I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Working...
                                X