• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
      I vote for Thompson Square.

I also suggest this Hunter Hayes song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jt6jKMrmM
      Oh yes. I adore Hunter Hayes. I have too many of his songs on a Sparky playlist.

Eyes up here, flyboy.
      Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks of Atlantis View Post
        I'm taking a couple of AP classes next year, so we have summer homework to prep us and to let us start learning the material early so the teacher can fit the rest of the curriculum in the school year.
        Wow, that explains why you write so well. We would never get our kids to do that. It's nearly impossible to get them to do their regular work.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
        You're welcome.

I have to agree SR. If JS had gone on to play Weir in Atlantis we wouldn't have had Sparky. I just have the feeling her Weir wouldn't have connected with John in the same way as TH's Weir did.
        I wonder if JS would have enjoyed the political discussions with JF like TH did. The source of all that sparkage that carried over on camera.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I had peeked on the thread at work but didn't get to respond due to a particularly busy day, only to discover all the points I was going to say have been said by other people.

Well, now I feel useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            I wonder if JS would have enjoyed the political discussions with JF like TH did. The source of all that sparkage that carried over on camera.
            I never heard of this. When did they mention it?

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
              Oh yes, there were definitely differences. What I was trying to say is that they didn’t write Sam as Sam but more Weir like with differences.

I am a very patient person, I can wait. Lets just hope you will have the chance to visit that friend more often.
              And that is what doesn't make sense: if Weir was difficult to write for, why replace her and give the same lines to Sam?

I usually visit my friend once a week and we usually watch 5-8 episodes, so we'll finish season 4 in about a month from now.

Originally posted by Luz View Post
              It isn't really that rare. People's perception of some characters might be coloured by their shipping preferences. It's why some Sheppard/Teyla shippers don't like Weir and some Sheppard/Weir shippers don't like Teyla. It's just a thing that happens.
              It took me a long time to begin to like Teyla, but it's not ship related, it has to do with her personality and her episodes.

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
              Ship wars don't seem to make much sense.
              I agree

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
              [img=http://s178.photobucket.com/user/poundpuppy29/media/Sparky/normal_atl_203_596.jpg.html]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...tl_203_596.jpg[/img]

I hate fandom & ship wars they are so annoying some people take it too seriously

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
              I had peeked on the thread at work but didn't get to respond due to a particularly busy day, only to discover all the points I was going to say have been said by other people.

Well, now I feel useless.
              Please don't, you have been very helpful so far

Comment

It isn't really that rare. People's perception of some characters might be coloured by their shipping preferences. It's why some Sheppard/Teyla shippers don't like Weir and some Sheppard/Weir shippers don't like Teyla. It's just a thing that happens.
                I'd say it is too common for comfort. Fandoms that don't have vicious ship wars are rare. Every fandom I was ever interested in had shippers going at each others' throats. People rarely employ logic when something they're passionate about is questioned/criticized.

The wars between Daniel and Sam fans are particularly baffling because these characters care about each other deeply. I think both of them would be sickened by some of their fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
                  I'd say it is too common for comfort. Fandoms that don't have vicious ship wars are rare. Every fandom I was ever interested in had shippers going at each others' throats. People rarely employ logic when something they're passionate about is questioned/criticized.

The wars between Daniel and Sam fans are particularly baffling because these characters care about each other deeply. I think both of them would be sickened by some of their fans.
                  Same with all the ship wars I'm thinking. I know in the case of Sparky the war would not have heated up nearly as much as it did if not for some completely insane Weir/Torri haters. It was the personal attacks against Torri that just went over the top and went on way too long with nothing being done but to tell them to play nice. Fandom is truly a weird place I have discovered. And that's why I stay mostly in here. Plus, a lot of stuff happened on other forums or LJ and spilled over onto GW.

For a lot of people too, fandom is their life. They can't seem to understand that all this is just us manipulating fictional characters for our enjoyment. A fun game, but nothing to do with reality. And then there's the problem of separating actors from their characters, which if you don't think that's a problem just go to a con and talk to a bunch of people.
                  sigpic

Comment

Same with all the ship wars I'm thinking. I know in the case of Sparky the war would not have heated up nearly as much as it did if not for some completely insane Weir/Torri haters. It was the personal attacks against Torri that just went over the top and went on way too long with nothing being done but to tell them to play nice. Fandom is truly a weird place I have discovered. And that's why I stay mostly in here. Plus, a lot of stuff happened on other forums or LJ and spilled over onto GW.
                    Ugh, I'm so glad I missed all of this.

For a lot of people too, fandom is their life. They can't seem to understand that all this is just us manipulating fictional characters for our enjoyment. A fun game, but nothing to do with reality.
                    Yeah, this is so true. There are people who regard certain pairings as their sacred cows or something, and they're offended when others ship these characters with someone else. Try telling such evangelical shippers that you don't care much for their pairing, and it's like you've offended their religion or told them their children are ugly. And then they start lectruing you on your lack of understanding of what true love is about.

And then there's the problem of separating actors from their characters, which if you don't think that's a problem just go to a con and talk to a bunch of people.
                    I think actor bashing is the most vile, horrible thing about media fandoms.

Comment

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
                      Ugh, I'm so glad I missed all of this.

Yeah, this is so true. There are people who regard certain pairings as their sacred cows or something, and they're offended when others ship these characters with someone else. Try telling such evangelical shippers that you don't care much for their pairing, and it's like you've offended their religion or told them their children are ugly. And then they start lectruing you on your lack of understanding of what true love is about.

I think actor bashing is the most vile, horrible thing about media fandoms.
                      I'm a product of the Beatle days. *waves cane* Fandom hasn't changed a bit except to have gotten easier. If we had had the internet then, I can imagine how bad it would have been. We wrote fanfic by hand and exchanged stories at school. We said some horrible things about their wives and girlfriends, and thank God we didn't know much about their private lives.

This was repeated with multiple entertainers for the next 40 decades up until now and nothing much has changed. I shudder to think who the hot young thang will be in 2050. I'll be dead, but you guys can wave your canes and tell your grandkids how it used to be in the Sparky days. And I can go ahead and predict, it will only get worse.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse View Post
                        Please don't, you have been very helpful so far
                        KISSxSparky.gif

I'm a product of the Beatle days. *waves cane* Fandom hasn't changed a bit except to have gotten easier. If we had had the internet then, I can imagine how bad it would have been. We wrote fanfic by hand and exchanged stories at school. We said some horrible things about their wives and girlfriends, and thank God we didn't know much about their private lives.

This was repeated with multiple entertainers for the next 40 decades up until now and nothing much has changed. I shudder to think who the hot young thang will be in 2050. I'll be dead, but you guys can wave your canes and tell your grandkids how it used to be in the Sparky days. And I can go ahead and predict, it will only get worse.
                        11.gif

I think the anonymity of the internet only makes the problem worse. It's easier to write outrageous, nasty things knowing that nothing can happen to you because of it.

Let me also add that there's a difference between having issues with how a character is portrayed and charactor/actor/fan bashing.

Comment

OMG. The hate aimed at Torri and the ridiculous arguments spewed against Weir and why she wasn't ~worthy, lol. And it was all for nothing because, as history has demonstrated, getting her out of the way didn't magically make their shipper dreams come true.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]37969[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37968[/ATTACH]

I think the anonymity of the internet only makes the problem worse. It's easier to write outrageous, nasty things knowing that nothing can happen to you because of it.

Let me also add that there's a difference between having issues with how a character is portrayed and charactor/actor/fan bashing.
                            Oh my gosh yes. I should have thought of that. I love John. He's my absolute favorite character and I hate it when people talk about how crazy/immoral he is, but I realize that what they are really complaining about is how he was written. Same with Ronon being called a caveman or all the criticism of Teyla's outfits. Don't they realize the problem is with the writing/wardrobe dept/editing/directing/etc not with the person of the actor? Now if someone says they hate John's hair and that it's the most ridiculous hairdo evah and how much gel does he use to get it like than anyway, I know they are just ignorant and at some point will be embarrassed when someone tells them it's Joe's hair and not much can be done about it. But that would be actor bashing and shouldn't be allowed.
                            sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Yes, I survived the Great Blackout of 2013, in spite of Edison not getting the power back on until nearly four hours AFTER they said they would, so it was out for 11 hours yesterday while they did their "necessary maintenance and system upgrades." Ugh.

Looks like I missed some fun stuff...the ship wars. Gah, what a nightmare. I think everything else I would say has been covered, but I'll add that my personal experience in having been in multiple fandoms where shipping wars have/are raging...it's just really exhausting.

OMG. The hate aimed at Torri and the ridiculous arguments spewed against Weir and why she wasn't ~worthy, lol. And it was all for nothing because, as history has demonstrated, getting her out of the way didn't magically make their shipper dreams come true.
                              There's a silver lining in everything.
                              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                                There's a silver lining in everything.
                                You have no idea how pleased I was when SGA ended without pairing John with anyone. Dish best served cold and all that.

Comment

Working...
                                X