Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    I've actually never seen JS's Weir. I watched the SG-1 Torri eps, but not the JS ones.
    I only noticed that JS was also playing the character of Elizabeth Weir the second time I watched that episode of SG 1.

Originally posted by Varda View Post
    Sure, why not?

I hope we can visit not only Beijing and Shanghai, but also some provinces... and, probably, Xianggang (Hong Kong).
    Oh that sounds really great!! I have been in Hong Kong, it is a great place and it is definitely a great place to go shopping!!!

A few more words about Sam - as I watch Stargate from the end, I didn't have much feelings for her in Atlantis. Sure, she was nice (and hot, lol ) as Rodney's hallucination, but when it came to ruling Atlantis... well, I missed Weir so much, and it was strange to see Carter instead of her, speaking all the words that could be said by Elizabeth. =/
    I still think that Weir’s character was discarted because they always had the intention of bringing Sam to the show, to SGA, and since they didn’t have enough capability to continue to write for both characters and no capability to continue to write Sam as the character she was in SG1, it was easier for them to get rid of the “older” character, to then continue writing for the “new” character the same way they used to write for the “older” character.

Originally posted by Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse View Post
    Thanks for the welcome
    I had no idea that there were so many mixed feelings towards Sam in SGA, this has been a very interesting experience for me, having so far visited mostly Sam/Jack threads here on GW.
    I will really like to know, what you will have to say, once you will end watching season 4 of SGA.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
    IMO they made an effort to write more for her in s3, found it hard to incorporate her into stories in a way that they liked, and when SG-1 got cancelled it was the perfect opportunity for them to get rid of a hard to write for character and replace her with an easier to write for, and more popular, one
    If Weir was a character so hard to write, why did they write for Sam exactly as if they were writing for Weir? That was just a lame excuse, if you allow me to say so, in order to bring Sam into the show.

Originally posted by Luz View Post
    This talk about the weather makes me want to watch The Storm/The Eye.
    Every time I hear about a storm on the news or somewhere else, I always remember The Storm/The Eye.

If Weir was hard to write for, then it makes even less sense to change Sam into a Weir-light *shakes head*
    Now you have said it all!!!!!
    sigpic
    sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Also, I don't know why the Jackson fans hate the Carter ones. Someone else probably will. My guess is it went something like this:

Carter Fans: OMG, Daniel being back is so annoying. He's in so many scenes and is stealing all of Carter's airtime
      Jackson Fans: So? Daniel is awesome! He's not in enough scenes! And now that he's back from the dead, there's all this new stuff to find out about him. And OMG, Carter is so boring. All that science stuff is so lame
      CF: What? More airtime! Are you kidding me? Carter is the female lead, she should be in everything! And if Daniel was so awesome, why did Michael leave, and why did they completely rewrite the character for his return? And OMG, his acting - so OTT at times
      JF: You. Are. Dead. How dare you. Daniel is awesome. Better than stupid Carter. How many boyfriends has she killed? No wonder O'Neill doesn't want to bang her
      CF: Oh it's on beyartch.
      JF: It was already on, dumbass

That may have not been how it happened, but nothing would surprise me
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
        I still think that Weir’s character was discarted because they always had the intention of bringing Sam to the show, to SGA, and since they didn’t have enough capability to continue to write for both characters and no capability to continue to write Sam as the character she was in SG1, it was easier for them to get rid of the “older” character, to then continue writing for the “new” character the same way they used to write for the “older” character.
        There's an element of truth to that, but they also didn't have the money to pay for both actresses. AT would have cost significantly more than TH (these things are hammered out by their agents and TPTW).

If Weir was a character so hard to write, why did they write for Sam exactly as if they were writing for Weir? That was just a lame excuse, if you allow me to say so, in order to bring Sam into the show.
        Well, they didn't. I'm can't say they didn't always, or that they made a good job of it, but there were differences. Lets look at her introduction: she was working on the midway station, then modifies the Apollo to search for Atlantis. She then helps them reconnect to the gate bridge before being ordered back to earth. She is given command, and joins the mission in Reunion (exactly why is debatable - looked like a waste of time to me). None of that is stuff Weir would have been doing, nor is any of the stuff later in the season (helping test the Asgards weapons on the Deadalus, being there on the BAMSR mission, actively trying to override the lockdown protocol in Quarantine, leading the recovery mission in Search and Rescue).

All of that said, pretty much any scene in her office could have been delivered by Weir. IMO they thought they were doing enough to differentiate the characters, but there was a lot more they could have done. A lot
        sigpic

Comment

Are the Daniel fans hating Sam because Daniel ended up having more screen time than Sam? Was that because the AT fans were complaining? It's all very confusing to me
          I think part of (if not most of it) the hate Carter got from Jackson fans had a lot to do with ship wars.

Comment

So days worked per week doesn't have a lot to do with actual screentime. This is also how AT/Carter managed to appear in a good number of episodes, along with being in the SG-1 films, working on Sanctuary, and looking after her boy
            Thank you for this explanation. I have heard about 1st and 2nd units, but not paid much attention to what the different units were actually doing.

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
            I will really like to know, what you will have to say, once you will end watching season 4 of SGA.
            I will let you know, I promise. But it's a slow work in progress as I only watch SGA when visiting the friend who introduced me to Stargate.

Also, I don't know why the Jackson fans hate the Carter ones. Someone else probably will. My guess is it went something like this:

[...]
            That may have not been how it happened, but nothing would surprise me
            This is excellent and probably not that far from what really happened. I've never hated a character so much that I took it out on the fans of that particular character. I think I prefer to blame TPTB for what happens, not the character/actor/fans.

Originally posted by Luz View Post
            I think part of (if not most of it) the hate Carter got from Jackson fans had a lot to do with ship wars.
            Ah, yes - as I understand it there is a ship war going on between some of the Sam/Jack shippers and some of the Daniel/Jack shippers. But again: why blame Sam for the shippy scenes the writers write?

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              I watched her on that but didn't remember what happened to her. Sounds like a trend.

Congrats on being finished with exams. But summer homework? Is that common or are you taking a class?
              I'm taking a couple of AP classes next year, so we have summer homework to prep us and to let us start learning the material early so the teacher can fit the rest of the curriculum in the school year.
              sigpic
              Please visit sga-rising.com for a Season 6 of Stargate: Atlantis
              View my projects on FF.net || AO3 || YouTube

(Formerly known as Sparks of Atlantis)

Comment

Well, they didn't. I'm can't say they didn't always, or that they made a good job of it, but there were differences.
                Oh yes, there were definitely differences. What I was trying to say is that they didn’t write Sam as Sam but more Weir like with differences.

I will let you know, I promise. But it's a slow work in progress as I only watch SGA when visiting the friend who introduced me to Stargate.
                I am a very patient person, I can wait. Lets just hope you will have the chance to visit that friend more often.
                sigpic
                sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Ah, yes - as I understand it there is a ship war going on between some of the Sam/Jack shippers and some of the Daniel/Jack shippers. But again: why blame Sam for the shippy scenes the writers write?
                  It isn't really that rare. People's perception of some characters might be coloured by their shipping preferences. It's why some Sheppard/Teyla shippers don't like Weir and some Sheppard/Weir shippers don't like Teyla. It's just a thing that happens.

Comment

Ship wars don't seem to make much sense.
                    sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

So I wanna make a Sparky video out of these songs:

Carrie Underwood - See You Again

Daughtry - Start of Something Good

Thompson Square - If I Didn't Have You

Oh, indecision, indecision. Which to start first?

Comment

Carrie Underwood, definetely!
                        sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                        https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                          Thanks, and thanks to everyone else for the congrats. The dress shopping was definitely one for the books.

I don't remember what I thought of JS as Weir. I don't think I liked her much, but when I get a chance I'm going back and watching those eps. I know one thing. She would never have been shipped with John to the extent TH's Weir is. Yeah, some people will ship anything that breathes, but alas, Sparky would not have been.
                          You're welcome.

I have to agree SR. If JS had gone on to play Weir in Atlantis we wouldn't have had Sparky. I just have the feeling her Weir wouldn't have connected with John in the same way as TH's Weir did.
                          I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Sure, why not?
                            I hope we can visit not only Beijing and Shanghai, but also some provinces... and, probably, Xianggang (Hong Kong).

Unfortunately, not that good so far... As addition, now I have dust allergy, as I have to spend some time in the library, preparing for exams; I do need some books, but it's iquite a challenge to buy them.

I also hope so!

And I'm sure, one day you can go there
                            But for now... If everything goes well, I can take some pictures by myself and then show you. Just for fun
                            That really sounds like a fun trip.

Hopefully you can find some good allergy meds to get you through your exams. All the rain we've had lately is really helping mine.

I hope to save enough to try it, someday.

Thanks!!! I can't wait to see them.

Maybe I can reread my book about the Great Wall before then.
                            Last edited by mandogater; 06 June 2013, 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I hate fandom & ship wars they are so annoying some people take it too seriously
                              sigpic
                              My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                              poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                                So I wanna make a Sparky video out of these songs:

Carrie Underwood - See You Again

Daughtry - Start of Something Good

Thompson Square - If I Didn't Have You

Oh, indecision, indecision. Which to start first?
                                I vote for Thompson Square.

I also suggest this Hunter Hayes song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jt6jKMrmM

Comment

Working...
                                X