Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    I'm back, and it was the easiest shopping trip of my life. Seriously. OT for wedding chatter. For the newbies, my son is getting married in August and I'm driving everybody mad with wedding stories.
    Spoiler:
    Traffic was light. Unheard of. I found a parking place right outside Macys and literally walked into the dress department. I tried on 3 dresses and one was perfect.
    Spoiler:
    It has to be tailored a bit, but my top and bottom don't match so that was expected. It was on sale and I had a coupon. I ended up paying $71 for it. Miracle! And I already have shoes that work. Mr. SR is going to pass out. I may tease him a bit before I reveal the price. *snicker*
    Wow, that's amazing the shopping trip went so well! Must be destiny.

As for the price...that's so mean! Poor Mr. SR.

That's the only color it came in. Lucky for me because it's one of my best colors with the hair and all.
    Yep, we redheads look awesome in green.

Thanks, and yes Sam was both underused and overused. Underused in that she was sometimes not around and no explanation was given. TMC was an example I think. Overused in that she was shown eating with John's team and much more a part of the "gang" than Elizabeth ever was, which just makes us all fume.
    This, totally this. Argh.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Thanks, and yes Sam was both underused and overused. Underused in that she was sometimes not around and no explanation was given. TMC was an example I think. Overused in that she was shown eating with John's team and much more a part of the "gang" than Elizabeth ever was, which just makes us all fume.
      No wonder you don't like her

Comment

Originally posted by Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse View Post
        Thanks for answering my question They did give SG-1 characters a lot of screen time, but it of course never bothered me, because that was the first Stargate show I watched and it was nice to see the familiar faces again. But, I can understand why it makes your blood boil. I was truly annoyed when watching Star Trek Voyager and they kept on giving characters from TNG screen time. Not that I didn't like TNG (Beverly Crusher was my first hero and I've been shipping Picard/Crusher since the 80's), but it just felt wrong to have them "invade" the Voyager universe.
        At first I put up with it because I was aware I was watching a spin-off and crossovers are inevitable. But they kept giving more and more screen time to SG1's characters. And the last straw was that under water scene they gave to O'Neill, I never forgave them for not giving it to Sheppard. I know there was a "reason" to give it to O'Neill but no one will convince me it wasn't another excuse to showcase how awesome and necessary SG1 was. I'm still seething, I'd love that scene had it been Sheppard but I can't even stand to watch it.

I blame tptb, they tried to push SG1's awesomeness so hard on us at SGA's expense.

Comment

Originally posted by Luz View Post
          I blame tptb, they tried to push SG1's awesomeness so hard on us at SGA's expense.
          Yeah, that's rarely a good idea for the fans of the original show or for the fans of the spin-off.

Comment

I'm back, and it was the easiest shopping trip of my life. Seriously. OT for wedding chatter. For the newbies, my son is getting married in August and I'm driving everybody mad with wedding stories.
            Spoiler:
            Traffic was light. Unheard of. I found a parking place right outside Macys and literally walked into the dress department. I tried on 3 dresses and one was perfect.
            Spoiler:
            It has to be tailored a bit, but my top and bottom don't match so that was expected. It was on sale and I had a coupon. I ended up paying $71 for it. Miracle! And I already have shoes that work. Mr. SR is going to pass out. I may tease him a bit before I reveal the price. *snicker*
            Very nice!!! And it's a dress you could wear for some other occasion too. The dress my mom wore to my brother's wedding was more formal (and so dated - it screamed 1980s) and she couldn't wear it to anything else. Actually the whole wedding screamed 80s. A coworker of mine got married about 5 years ago and everything about it was classic, which I really enjoyed. You wouldn't be able to take one glance at a picture and know what era it came from. But that's just my personal taste. If I were ever going to get married () I would probably elope anyway.

Comment

I don't know if it's about not liking 'her' as not like what the show did with her while she was there. Someone who didn't watch SG-1 doesn't know Sam--sort of like SG-1 fans who never watched SGA saying that Jessica Steen's Weir was way better than Torri's. Of course, that can still be the opinion at the end of the day, but Torri's Weir had so much more time to be evolved in SGA, so if someone never watched that series, how would he or she know?

I love Sam, and I was an SG-1 fan for the first five seasons it was on (Showtime here in the US). But as much as I love Sam, my absolute favorite character in the SG universe is Elizabeth, so of course I was bummed when the story went the way it did. I didn't hate Sam when she came in, but I didn't find her to have the same character when she was on SGA. I missed the active Sam as much as I missed Elizabeth in general.
              Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

What happened after season five?
                sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

I like her on SG-1, and I tried my best to still like her on SGA, but it just wasn't Sam. I grew to like Woolsey a lot because they didn't totally change him. His character grew through a natural progression, but Sam's dialogue on SGA could have been written for Weir with no changes.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                  Very nice!!! And it's a dress you could wear for some other occasion too. The dress my mom wore to my brother's wedding was more formal (and so dated - it screamed 1980s) and she couldn't wear it to anything else. Actually the whole wedding screamed 80s. A coworker of mine got married about 5 years ago and everything about it was classic, which I really enjoyed. You wouldn't be able to take one glance at a picture and know what era it came from. But that's just my personal taste. If I were ever going to get married () I would probably elope anyway.
                  My kids know if they eloped, I would have hunted them down. SR Jr. is an only child. Miss M has 6 sibs, all younger. Plenty of weddings for them. One for us. It's bad enough that I've had to settle for informal in the back yard.

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                  What happened after season five?
                  The show was canceled. It was in the news.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

The person was talking about the first five seasons of SG1.
                    sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                      I don't know if it's about not liking 'her' as not like what the show did with her while she was there. Someone who didn't watch SG-1 doesn't know Sam--sort of like SG-1 fans who never watched SGA saying that Jessica Steen's Weir was way better than Torri's. Of course, that can still be the opinion at the end of the day, but Torri's Weir had so much more time to be evolved in SGA, so if someone never watched that series, how would he or she know?

I love Sam, and I was an SG-1 fan for the first five seasons it was on (Showtime here in the US). But as much as I love Sam, my absolute favorite character in the SG universe is Elizabeth, so of course I was bummed when the story went the way it did. I didn't hate Sam when she came in, but I didn't find her to have the same character when she was on SGA. I missed the active Sam as much as I missed Elizabeth in general.
                      I'm sure I'm going to miss the active Sam as well.
                      I did like Jessica Steen's Weir but not as much as I've come to like Torri's.
                      From what you've all written it seems to come down to poor writing and what TPTB did with Sam that causes some of you to dislike her.
                      Just for the record: I'm totally okay with this - that some of you don't like Sam - we can't all be fans of all the characters, especially when our favorite gets replaced in a not cool way. I appreciate that you take your time answering my newbie questions

I like her on SG-1, and I tried my best to still like her on SGA, but it just wasn't Sam. I grew to like Woolsey a lot because they didn't totally change him. His character grew through a natural progression, but Sam's dialogue on SGA could have been written for Weir with no changes.
                      Again: poor writing. It does please me as a fan of AT that no one has "blamed" her acting

The person was talking about the first five seasons of SG1.
                      I believe it was moved to the Syfy channel after its fifth season(?)

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                        I liked Jessica's Weir and would have probably watched SGA with her out of loyalty. Though it was never an option since JS doesn't like long term commitments to tv shows. But it didn't take much of an effort getting used to Torri because she's fantastic. Whenever people start talking about how ~wooden TH's portrayal is I just shake my head and don't even bother.

I have a feeling some people just like using JS as an excuse to bash TH and Weir.

Comment

Steen's character on NCIS got blown up. Do any of her other characters suffer similar fates?

Comment

Steen's character on NCIS got blown up. Do any of her other characters suffer similar fates?
                            Had Elizabeth been played by JS, she would have probably died at the end on season 1.

She was in my favorite tv show when I was little, Captain Power. She played a character named Jennifer Chase "Pilot", my first tv crush. And she died at the end of the first, and only season (the show got cancelled). The baddies invaded the heroes' headquarters and she activated the self-destruct and, yes, she got blown up. Broke my heart and traumatized me for life.

Comment

Originally posted by Luz View Post
                              Whenever people start talking about how ~wooden TH's portrayal is I just shake my head and don't even bother.
                              The friend who introduced me to both SG-1 and SGA doesn't like Weir, she also thinks she's ~wooden. I watch SGA at her place, so when I rejoiced every time an episode evolved around Weir, she just shook her head, not willing to listen.
                              I like Weir because she's a strong, independent woman who believes in what she does. I think Torri's beautiful, I don't mind that either And I like the chemistry between her and Sheppard, talk about sparkles flying! At least my friend agrees with me on that particular part

Comment

I'm sure I'm going to miss the active Sam as well.
                                I did like Jessica Steen's Weir but not as much as I've come to like Torri's.
                                From what you've all written it seems to come down to poor writing and what TPTB did with Sam that causes some of you to dislike her.
                                Just for the record: I'm totally okay with this - that some of you don't like Sam - we can't all be fans of all the characters, especially when our favorite gets replaced in a not cool way. I appreciate that you take your time answering my newbie questions

Again: poor writing. It does please me as a fan of AT that no one has "blamed" her acting

I believe it was moved to the Syfy channel after its fifth season(?)
                                On the show (SG1) Season 5--yes, it was moved to Syfy, but that wasn't my reason for stopping watching, it was Meridian. Guess who my favorite character in SG-1 was. By the time he came back on, I had drifted away and never came back.
                                Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Working...
                                X