Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    Well hello new person. Welcome. Come out and join in.
    Thank you very much

I'm slowly working my way through SGA only watching it when visiting a friend who has the show on dvd. We just watched "First Strike", "Adrift" and "Lifeline" this Sunday and even though I knew we were going to say goodbye to Weir, I didn't know how or why because I've tried to avoid spoilers. It did make me very sad though, because I really liked her.
    I started shipping Sheppard/Weir long before watching SGA, thanks to the many wonderful gifsets of the two of them I've been seeing on tumblr

Originally posted by Varda View Post
    *waves at Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse*
    *waves back*

Comment

Originally posted by Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse View Post
      Thank you very much

I'm slowly working my way through SGA only watching it when visiting a friend who has the show on dvd. We just watched "First Strike", "Adrift" and "Lifeline" this Sunday and even though I knew we were going to say goodbye to Weir, I didn't know how or why because I've tried to avoid spoilers. It did make me very sad though, because I really liked her.
      I started shipping Sheppard/Weir long before watching SGA, thanks to the many wonderful gifsets of the two of them I've been seeing on tumblr

*waves back*
      Welcome! Just a warning to you that we're not all huge Sam fans around here. Some are, some aren't. Please know we mean no disrespect to her fans. We all realize that we need to agree to disagree on certain subjects but we will always welcome all viewpoints. Well, as long as those viewpoints aren't negative towards John/Elizabeth.

Comment

i remember i wasn't a big elizabeth fan at first when she took over the sgc from hammond and refused for sam to go rescue jack. but people grow on you.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
          Welcome! Just a warning to you that we're not all huge Sam fans around here. Some are, some aren't. Please know we mean no disrespect to her fans. We all realize that we need to agree to disagree on certain subjects but we will always welcome all viewpoints. Well, as long as those viewpoints aren't negative towards John/Elizabeth.
          Thanks for the welcome
          I'm curious to know more about why people aren't fans of Sam? We can't all be of course, but I always find it interesting to hear other points of view. Please do remember that I'm just at the beginning of season 4, so she hasn't taken over from Elizabeth yet in my world, if that's got anything to do with it.

I'm pretty new in the Stargate fandom as I was only introduced to SG-1 in August last year, so there are many things I don't know about (yet), the real reason why Weir was disposed of for instance.

Comment

You iz funny. I'd just order something online. Now I wait while you go into convulsions. Good luck!
            *hair flip* I order online all the time, but right now I don't know my dress size because I lost 10 pounds. Plus, it's a one in a lifetime event, so I goez shopping.

Thanks for the welcome
            I'm curious to know more about why people aren't fans of Sam? We can't all be of course, but I always find it interesting to hear other points of view. Please do remember that I'm just at the beginning of season 4, so she hasn't taken over from Elizabeth yet in my world, if that's got anything to do with it.

I'm pretty new in the Stargate fandom as I was only introduced to SG-1 in August last year, so there are many things I don't know about (yet), the real reason why Weir was disposed of for instance.
            Speaking just for myself, I love Sam in SG-1, but in SGA not so much. They changed her and tried to make her into Weir light. You'll see as you go.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

*hair flip* I order online all the time, but right now I don't know my dress size because I lost 10 pounds. Plus, it's a one in a lifetime event, so I goez shopping.
              *hair flip* I hope you find something pretty.

Speaking just for myself, I love Sam in SG-1, but in SGA not so much. They changed her and tried to make her into Weir light. You'll see as you go.
              Non-Sparky talk
              Spoiler:

I didn't watch SG-1 from the beginning. I caught some reruns of seasons 9 and 10 with the Farscape folks and started to watch because of them. Sam wasn't very interesting to me in those seasons, and I felt they treated her as a Mary-Sue who could do no wrong, and Cam was always saying how perfect she was, etc. It just irritated me.

Then when she came to SGA there were comments made in the show and behind the scenes that bugged me as well. But since you haven't seen those yet, I won't bring them up.

But I've always said that if I'd watched the early seasons first I probably would have liked her as I generally do like that kind of character.

Comment

Sam talk
                Spoiler:

Oh, that doesn't sound good. People do change, but it's not good if they change so much they end almost out of character from where they began.

I didn't watch SG-1 from the beginning. I caught some reruns of seasons 9 and 10 with the Farscape folks and started to watch because of them. Sam wasn't very interesting to me in those seasons, and I felt they treated her as a Mary-Sue who could do no wrong, and Cam was always saying how perfect she was, etc. It just irritated me.

Then when she came to SGA there were comments made in the show and behind the scenes that bugged me as well. But since you haven't seen those yet, I won't bring them up.

But I've always said that if I'd watched the early seasons first I probably would have liked her as I generally do like that kind of character.
                They did change her and her role in the last couple of SG-1 seasons, and it was not all for the better. I'd be interested in hearing more about the comments made in the show/behind the scenes, so I hope we can return to this discussion once I've seen all of SGA

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday, and welcome to Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse!

Well hello new person. Welcome. Come out and join in.

Thanks ShipperWriter for the gifs. How did you know that's just what I needed before I embark on my dress hunt at the busiest and biggest mall in the state. A mall with its own zip code. A mall that the mere mention of its name invokes fear in the hearts of burly men everywhere. A mall in the middle of an area under construction for a new Metro line around and among and under streets congested with the traffic of worker bees moving among the 46 million square feet of office space. An area with a daytime population of over 100,000 and a nighttime population of less than 20,000. Yes there be traffic. I iz afraid, but I must go where there is a concentration of large department stores. *trembles*
                  Geeze, even South Coast Plaza and the Irvine Spectrum don't have reputations like that!

You iz funny. I'd just order something online. Now I wait while you go into convulsions. Good luck!
                  You're a bad, bad girl. Just sayin'.

*nods* Yeah, that was pretty much my beef with Sam in SGA as well. She just wasn't the Sam I knew from SG-1. TPTW tried to change her too much to make her fit into Atlantis, and it was a disaster.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome

First of all, welcome to the thread.

About your question
                    Spoiler:
                    I was never a fan of SG1, so it's not just that I don't like Carter. I loath SG1 in general. At first I was just indifferent, but after seeing tptb treat SGA like the red-headed stepchild; always acting like SG1 was the superior sibling and SGA could never aspire to such greatness. And then they kept giving screen time to SG1's characters on SGA and giving them the spotlight, instead of allowing SGA to grow on its own. It was like they were saying SGA was nothing without SG1 and SGA's characters didn't matter.

SG1's characters ruined a good number of SGA episodes for me, I can't even re-watch The Return 2 because O'Neill makes my blood boil.

Comment

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the thread Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse – I’m not a big fan of Sam myself, and I think that it has to do with me seeing SGA and loving that show and those characters before I saw SG-1. It has been said but I think that it has to do with how she was written on SGA which was fairly poorly and I think a lot of that for me stayed with me when I eventually saw SG-1. But it’s all TPTB’s fault anyway so I blame them for it

SW – Thanks for the amazing gifs, love all of them.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday, and welcome to Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse!

[...] *nods* Yeah, that was pretty much my beef with Sam in SGA as well. She just wasn't the Sam I knew from SG-1. TPTW tried to change her too much to make her fit into Atlantis, and it was a disaster.
                        Thanks for the welcome
                        I think part of the problem was that a different set of TPTB's got in charge in the late seasons of SG-1 and from what I understand they had a different view of how the show should evolve - this also included a change in Sam's behavior. I think they tried to fix something that wasn't broken, and it gave SG-1 a completely different feel. To me "the real" SG-1 ended with season 8, but that's not stopping me from makings gifs from season 9/10 episodes

Originally posted by Luz View Post
                        First of all, welcome to the thread.

About your question
                        Spoiler:
                        I was never a fan of SG1, so it's not just that I don't like Carter. I loath SG1 in general. At first I was just indifferent, but after seeing tptb treat SGA like the red-headed stepchild; always acting like SG1 was the superior sibling and SGA could never aspire to such greatness. And then they kept giving screen time to SG1's characters on SGA and giving them the spotlight, instead of allowing SGA to grow on its own. It was like they were saying SGA was nothing without SG1 and SGA's characters didn't matter.

SG1's characters ruined a good number of SGA episodes for me, I can't even re-watch The Return 2 because O'Neill makes my blood boil.
                        Thanks for the welcome

Thanks for answering my question They did give SG-1 characters a lot of screen time, but it of course never bothered me, because that was the first Stargate show I watched and it was nice to see the familiar faces again. But, I can understand why it makes your blood boil. I was truly annoyed when watching Star Trek Voyager and they kept on giving characters from TNG screen time. Not that I didn't like TNG (Beverly Crusher was my first hero and I've been shipping Picard/Crusher since the 80's), but it just felt wrong to have them "invade" the Voyager universe.

Comment

I'm back, and it was the easiest shopping trip of my life. Seriously. OT for wedding chatter. For the newbies, my son is getting married in August and I'm driving everybody mad with wedding stories.
                          Spoiler:
                          Traffic was light. Unheard of. I found a parking place right outside Macys and literally walked into the dress department. I tried on 3 dresses and one was perfect.
                          Spoiler:
                          It has to be tailored a bit, but my top and bottom don't match so that was expected. It was on sale and I had a coupon. I ended up paying $71 for it. Miracle! And I already have shoes that work. Mr. SR is going to pass out. I may tease him a bit before I reveal the price. *snicker*
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brie View Post
                            Welcome to the thread Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse – I’m not a big fan of Sam myself, and I think that it has to do with me seeing SGA and loving that show and those characters before I saw SG-1. It has been said but I think that it has to do with how she was written on SGA which was fairly poorly and I think a lot of that for me stayed with me when I eventually saw SG-1. But it’s all TPTB’s fault anyway so I blame them for it
                            Thanks for the welcome
                            She was poorly written in the last two seasons of SG-1 too and it really makes me sad, but it still gives me 8 seasons to rewatch, so I'm not complaining!
                            I've read that Sam was underused in SGA, I don't know if it's true or if it's only Sam fans that thinks such a thing?

I'm back, and it was the easiest shopping trip of my life. Seriously. OT for wedding chatter. For the newbies, my son is getting married in August and I'm driving everybody mad with wedding stories.
                            Congratulations on the forthcoming wedding, no wonder you're telling wedding stories What a beautiful dress, btw.!

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Traffic was light. Unheard of. I found a parking place right outside Macys and literally walked into the dress department. I tried on 3 dresses and one was perfect.
                              Spoiler:
                              It has to be tailored a bit, but my top and bottom don't match so that was expected. It was on sale and I had a coupon. I ended up paying $71 for it. Miracle! And I already have shoes that work. Mr. SR is going to pass out. I may tease him a bit before I reveal the price. *snicker*
                              I love it, did you get it in that same color? I love textured fabrics. Great choice.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome
                                She was poorly written in the last two seasons of SG-1 too and it really makes me sad, but it still gives me 8 seasons to rewatch, so I'm not complaining!
                                I've read that Sam was underused in SGA, I don't know if it's true or if it's only Sam fans that thinks such a thing?

Congratulations on the forthcoming wedding, no wonder you're telling wedding stories What a beautiful dress, btw.!
                                Thanks, and yes Sam was both underused and overused. Underused in that she was sometimes not around and no explanation was given. TMC was an example I think. Overused in that she was shown eating with John's team and much more a part of the "gang" than Elizabeth ever was, which just makes us all fume.

Originally posted by Luz View Post
                                I love it, did you get it in that same color? I love textured fabrics. Great choice.
                                That's the only color it came in. Lucky for me because it's one of my best colors with the hair and all.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X