Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
    No, i don't watch Firefly, since it is still being showed here.
    Oh, lucky you... it was never shown here.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

ooh i knew i forgot George Reeve. it's like forgetting Adam West who was the first batman. cause it went Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale. though it you wanna go voice actors that voiced batman, Kevin Conroy is like the iconic voice for him almost every batman series since the 90s has him portaying the B-Man.

Comment

I woke up this morning with a sore throat and massive headache, so I stayed in bed all day and watched various Star Trek episodes on Netflix.

So quick question: I need some feedback for my fic. What physical limitations might prevent one from being accepted into the Air Force? And to be an officer, is a college degree a prerequisite?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

the college degree - yeah, pretty sure that's absolute these days

physical limitations - my husband couldn't get in because he's mostly blind in his left eye and color blind.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            Oh, wait I missed one. Don't forget George Reeves. And yes, I am that old. I think I forgot that Routh guy. I don't even remember seeing that movie.
            I rather liked Superman Returns. The script was rather clunky in spots, but I've got to give them credit for having the balls to try that plot twist. The costumes and set design were gorgeous, the score was magnificent, and Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor was frakin' diabolical in a way that Gene Hackman's never was.

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
            I woke up this morning with a sore throat and massive headache, so I stayed in bed all day and watched various Star Trek episodes on Netflix.

So quick question: I need some feedback for my fic. What physical limitations might prevent one from being accepted into the Air Force? And to be an officer, is a college degree a prerequisite?

Thanks in advance!
            As Nolamom said, you've got to be a college graduate to be an officer; I think at least a master's degree is preferred. As for physical limitations, obviously if you're talking about someone who wants to be a pilot, they'd need to be in tip-top shape.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

You can be an officer fresh out of the Air Force Academy - with a bachelor's degree. However, if you want to rise in the ranks, master's is the way to go. I think most colonels have master's these days.
              sigpic

Comment

Other physical limitations (although this is for the Army but I would think the USAF would have similar requirements) : they have weight standards (and I've been told height standards, but I don't know if they were just messin' with me b/c I'm super short and my records say I'm 5' tall even tho I'm a little shy of that mark)

I also know they'll flag you if you have certain pre-existing conditions that would prohibit you from passing a physical aptitude test (ie: asthma, knee/hip/ankle/back problems)
                My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Got a Sparky dinner scene I need to finish, and I needed a valid reason why John couldn't get in the Air Force.

See everyone in the morning!

ETA: So my rank for the weekend is a big-bosomed red-head who got to kiss Mal. *nods* I can live with that.

Comment

oh yeah, height requirements - too tall is a big problem in the Air force. I don't know the exact cut-off, but you definitely cannot fly if you're too tall. Navy - too tall exempts you from submarines.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Varda View Post

I'm also sure, but to find in on YouTube is easier for me now. I spent my last money on some videogames *facepalm.jpg*, so now have to earn and save it again

P.S. New rank! wow
                      Congrats on the promotion.
                      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        I know, right? Intruder was one of those classic moments where the (in retrospect, inadvertent, at least from TPTW's perspective) "show, don't tell" approach works so beautifully. Ugh, why did TPTW have to be so stubborn and turn their backs on something so awesome? *shakes head*
                        Like I've said before the blind leading the visually challenged.
                        I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                          oh yeah, height requirements - too tall is a big problem in the Air force. I don't know the exact cut-off, but you definitely cannot fly if you're too tall. Navy - too tall exempts you from submarines.
                          Yeah to all the above, though I'm not so sure about the Master's degree. They also have a rule against tattoos, but I know someone who has them and just keeps them covered. *shrugs* And John's hair would have driven them absolutely around the bend.
                          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

The air force colonels I know all have master's degrees...maybe it's just coincidence?
                            sigpic

Comment

The air force colonels I know all have master's degrees...maybe it's just coincidence?
                              It probably depends on the field they're in. But I'm sure it helps get you a promotion.
                              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday and S-minus 6 hours to Tabula Rasa!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                                It probably depends on the field they're in. But I'm sure it helps get you a promotion.
                                That's what I always thought about it, that it's not an official requirement, but if you want to get higher up in the ranks, they'll favor you more if you've got more than just a bachelor's degree.
                                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Working...
                                X