No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping in to say hello and let you all know I'm still alive. It's been a busy coupla weeks - I got kittens and started classes for my master's and have been playing surrogate softball mom to my nieces when my sister has to work. And now on the weekends it's been nice enough that I've been out playing with the boys.

I'll pop in tomorrow and catch up....

miss you all! *hugs*
    My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
    sigpic

Comment

the devil may care-ness was still there just dumbed down a little.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
        I'm mathgirl24.
        Welcome to my blog! <3

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
        Sorry for not getting back to you yesterday, Varda. My pregnant sister went in for some tests and the doc decided to keep her overnight because her blood pressure was high. Things have been a bit crazy since then but are slowly returning to normal along with her BP.

Sounds a bit like a couple of classes I took in college, just more interesting. All the Chinese I know came from finding the translations to stuff said on Firefly. What I wouldn't give to learn another lanuage and retain it!

You are very welcome.
        Oh, I see... Thank God, that things seem to get back to normal. I wish with all my heart everything will be okay.

Cinese in Firefly was quite interesting, yes.
        When I was watching it... I understood written hieroglyphs and part of spoken language, but not everything; first of all, in most cases it was just different types of curses, which I didn't know (as never was interested in them very much ), and then, the pronunciation also was a bit far from standard, which also made recognizing harder.
        Accents and dialects, btw, can be a problem in Chinese; sometimes eveb a native speaker from the North region can't understand southerner speaking, let alone foreigner.
        I've entered the Abyss and never returned.

sigpic

My links: Tumblr || Twitter || VK

Comment

Originally posted by Varda View Post
          Accents and dialects, btw, can be a problem in Chinese; sometimes eveb a native speaker from the North region can't understand southerner speaking, let alone foreigner.
          Kinda like Flemish then... we have so many different dialects we occasionally joke about turning on subtitling during a conversation.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Varda View Post
            Welcome to my blog! <3

Oh, I see... Thank God, that things seem to get back to normal. I wish with all my heart everything will be okay.

Cinese in Firefly was quite interesting, yes.
            When I was watching it... I understood written hieroglyphs and part of spoken language, but not everything; first of all, in most cases it was just different types of curses, which I didn't know (as never was interested in them very much ), and then, the pronunciation also was a bit far from standard, which also made recognizing harder.
            Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Kinda like Flemish then... we have so many different dialects we occasionally joke about turning on subtitling during a conversation.
            Just like the North/South in the US. When I first married Mr. SR, I had to interpret a lot of conversations with my family in both directions. It's not just sounds of words, but actual words for things that differ. And even within the South, there are lots of regional dialects and accents. Then there are the New York/New Jersey accents vs. New England. And all that's just the East coast. Out west it's much the same.

I remember when SGA first aired, people were wondering where JF was from and trying to figure out his accent. A lot of fans heard a bit of Southern because he drawls. But those of us who are really Southern knew we were hearing a Western drawl with a bit of Surfer dude thrown in. And Torri has a slight Canadian lilt with those lovely round vowels.

And don't even get me started on the UK brand of English. It's just as complicated over there. I love Dr. Who, but I sometimes miss parts of dialogue through confusion.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, everybody! Looking forward to tonight, when there's a special screening of ST:TNG's "The Best of Both Worlds" at the local theater!!!

Aah. I love being a nerd.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              Just like the North/South in the US. When I first married Mr. SR, I had to interpret a lot of conversations with my family in both directions. It's not just sounds of words, but actual words for things that differ. And even within the South, there are lots of regional dialects and accents. Then there are the New York/New Jersey accents vs. New England. And all that's just the East coast. Out west it's much the same.

I remember when SGA first aired, people were wondering where JF was from and trying to figure out his accent. A lot of fans heard a bit of Southern because he drawls. But those of us who are really Southern knew we were hearing a Western drawl with a bit of Surfer dude thrown in. And Torri has a slight Canadian lilt with those lovely round vowels.
              I was raised in northwestern NC and when I heard JF for the first time, I was like, he's gotta be from here Cali or somewhere to the west. And I know what you mean about the accents. The drawl in NC is apparently not easy to erase, as a friend of mine told me yesterday.

And don't even get me started on the UK brand of English. It's just as complicated over there. I love Dr. Who, but I sometimes miss parts of dialogue through confusion.
              And that's why I watch television with the captions on.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                Good morning, everybody! Looking forward to tonight, when there's a special screening of ST:TNG's "The Best of Both Worlds" at the local theater!!!

Aah. I love being a nerd.

I was raised in northwestern NC and when I heard JF for the first time, I was like, he's gotta be from here Cali or somewhere to the west. And I know what you mean about the accents. The drawl in NC is apparently not easy to erase, as a friend of mine told me yesterday.

And that's why I watch television with the captions on.
                Yep, I'm from down near Raleigh, and I can almost always spot an NC accent. It's not quite as Southern as most but has just enough of the South to count. Ben Browder, Jill Wagner, Julianne Moore, Emily Proctor, just to name a few. Emily Proctor is the best example of someone who has kept the accent. She's from Raleigh, and I used to sound just like her until I spent so many years up here.
                sigpic

Comment

Reminds me of our UK-visit during Easter... the woman who was keeping our spare key asked us where we were from cause we didn't have a discernable accent to go by. When she learned we weren't British at all, she was quite surprised.

Yep, I'm from down near Raleigh, and I can almost always spot an NC accent. It's not quite as Southern as most but has just enough of the South to count. Ben Browder, Jill Wagner, Julianne Moore, Emily Proctor, just to name a few. Emily Proctor is the best example of someone who has kept the accent. She's from Raleigh, and I used to sound just like her until I spent so many years up here.
                  So, the way Emily talks in CSI Miami... that's close to her actual accent? Cause I find that just a little sexy.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Originally posted by Luz View Post
                    JFlan kind of sabotaged certain people's plans for the character. They tried to make him this inter-gallactic playboy but Joe played him more vulnerable, dorky and awkward. Which ruined their idea of what Sheppard was supposed to be, which was closer to some devil-may-care charmer.

To me Joe gets the credit for any added depth the character had.
                    We definitely loved it when JoeF sabotaged those certain plans for John. His ideas were much better than TPTW's.

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
                    Popping in to say hello and let you all know I'm still alive. It's been a busy coupla weeks - I got kittens and started classes for my master's and have been playing surrogate softball mom to my nieces when my sister has to work. And now on the weekends it's been nice enough that I've been out playing with the boys.

I'll pop in tomorrow and catch up....

miss you all! *hugs*
                    Hihi! We're missing you too, but it's great to hear that you've had such good things happening to keep you busy! *hugs*

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                    Wait wait wait. You mean those of us who live in California speak with an accent?
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Reminds me of our UK-visit during Easter... the woman who was keeping our spare key asked us where we were from cause we didn't have a discernable accent to go by. When she learned we weren't British at all, she was quite surprised.

So, the way Emily talks in CSI Miami... that's close to her actual accent? Cause I find that just a little sexy.
                      Yep, I've never seen her on anything that she didn't talk the same way. That's a perfect example of a refined NC accent. We won't mention my redneck relatives. That's another story entirely.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post

Wait wait wait. You mean those of us who live in California speak with an accent?
                      Actually, you're the only ones who don't.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yep, I've never seen her on anything that she didn't talk the same way. That's a perfect example of a refined NC accent. We won't mention my redneck relatives. That's another story entirely.

Actually, you're the only ones who don't.
                        So, the people from the Midwest have an accent?
                        sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                        https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Squee, that makes me love her even more... *thunk*

Comment

Good morning Sparkies!! Just popping in to say Hello!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                              So, the people from the Midwest have an accent?
                              Uh...yes. You think they don't? Here's a scholarly article explaining the linguistics of the Midwest accent.

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
                              Good morning Sparkies!! Just popping in to say Hello!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l228/abracahpocus/Atlantis/Sparky/jshep330.jpg
                              *glomps you* Hey, I'm surprised you found the time to drop in but awfully glad you did.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Luz View Post
                                JFlan kind of sabotaged certain people's plans for the character. They tried to make him this inter-gallactic playboy but Joe played him more vulnerable, dorky and awkward. Which ruined their idea of what Sheppard was supposed to be, which was closer to some devil-may-care charmer.

To me Joe gets the credit for any added depth the character had.
                                And I think those are other reasons why I love Sheppard. That’s what made him look more like one of us, not like a super hero that can’t be compared to us “normal” human beings. If he would have been portrait like an intergalactic playboy I would probably not have liked him. We have tons of those in other shows.
                                sigpic
                                sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Working...
                                X